Looking for a Coupe GT or 4000 FWD with a bad motor in the Portland, OR area...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Coupe GT or 4000 FWD with a bad motor in the Portland, OR area...

I've already contacted frito about his in Spokane, but incase that doesn't work out, I'm putting the word out that I'm looking for either a Coupe GT (preferred) or a fwd 4000 that doesn't run. Hopefully the body and interior is in decent condition. Needs to have a good 5spd transmission as well. I'm in Vancouver, WA, right next to Portland, OR. Considering that I will have to have it towed, I'm hoping for something very cheap (or free if you just want to get rid of it to someone that will bring it back to life).

Incase you're wondering what I want it for: I'm planning on doing an electric motor conversion. Tired of paying for gasoline.

Anybody got anything?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:20 AM

Default PROPS TO YOU BROTHA! if youre serious, that is.

Wish I could help, but I would love to read about your progress on this project.
Im no environmentalist, but i recognize the problems or polution, i recycle [why not?], and i commend those who are willing to put a little extra effort into making a little difference... even if its just to save money on gas.

Why not a quattro? you could have a motor for the front and a motor for the rear...
Old 08-13-2007, 06:04 AM

Default Heard of the VW CitySTROMER?

It was a MkIII electric Volkswagen Golf, and Jetta, so any info on that might help you with this project. Good luck with it - I love the idea.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of extra and un-needed weight
Old 08-13-2007, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As AudiSport4000 said, too much extra weight, not to mention friction....

The system you're describing with the gas motor in front and electric in back was attempted by Audi long ago in a 100 Avant. This was late 80's, very early 90's. If I'm not mistaken, it was the first hybrid made. Audi was always ahead of their time.

And yes, I'm very serious about this project. I've already got the motor, have controller parts ordered and on the way, and have even found a possible source of free (used but good) batteries.

I'm excited. Just gotta find a car to convert.

Thanks for the support.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wow - the few conversions I've read up on seem very expensive . .

A Porsche 914 came up locally sans engine and tranny, minimal rust (SW), and I briefly considered an electric conversion as it's very light and has lots of "battery area" considering its size. But everything I saw on batteries, controllers, etc was very expensive. Heck, I could have bought a new Prius for the prices I was seeing!

Sounds like you're going to go more DIY to keep the costs down, yes?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default What type of motor and will you use a VFD?

Do you have anything specifically figured out, and if so, care to share some of the inspiration?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Nowhere near the first hybrid

Victor Wouk installed a rotary engine and electric motor into a Buick in 60's - he's considered the founding father of hybrid technology, and electric cars go right back to 1904.

Having said all this, I really really want to help you - the 4000 is only about 150kg heavier than a Golf, and about the same as a Jetta, and they worked fine as electric cars. What's the plan on charging it, though?
Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for correcting me. I would definately consider a 4000, if one came along.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default DIY helps a LOT! I've got almost everything I need, and I'm less than $400 into the project...

I've even got a supply of used (but usable) 40Ah NiCad battery cells that won't cost me a thing. All I really need at this point is a car and some big honkin power cables.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Coupe GT or 4000 FWD with a bad motor in the Portland, OR area...