How much $$$ to make a Coupe GT a reliable DD???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much $$$ to make a Coupe GT a reliable DD???

I was wanting to get a newer car sometime this year to replace my CGT as a daily driver. But today I was thinking about how much money and what it would take for the CGT to be a reliable driver. I haven't done any major mechanical upgrades since I bought it 2 years ago and the reliability has been off and on. It has ran good overall except for a few items that have left me on the side of the road. Right now all the suspension bushings need replaced. I'm getting a misfire that makes it run pretty rough and won't allow me to pass emmisions (registration has been expired for over a year now!) What all would I need to replace to make it reliable? Thanks for help, sorry for such a broad question.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I keep hearing stories like this and am grateful that my 83 has been problem free all these years.

That being said, I have spent a few preventive maintanence/ improvement $$$.

Replaced over the years:

* brakes and rotors $300
* clutch $250
* exhaust (cat back) $600
* waterpump & timing belt $600

replacing wheel bearings this thursday $300

Divide that by the 7 years I've had the car, it works out to about $150 a year. Thats pretty good for a 26 year old car.

And I've never been stranded by the side of the road. And if I ever do, I pay roadside maintanence insurance of about $60 a year.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM

I just spent about $2k on a DIY ground up rebuild. I can't see it being more than that if you DIY.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice.

Trade ya!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What all did you do?

I'm willing to do some of the work but really would like to have a shop do the big stuff and the pain in the *** stuff.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Id go nuts with my credit card

Replace anything and everything possible. Full tuneup, new sensors, fixing crappy starter wiring, new brakes, suspension bits, door handles, hardware, the works.

Pretty much everything shy of opening up the engine, Id consider doing.

At some point I'll do something similar with a 4kq I pick up. Just replace everything at once so it doesnt nickel and dime me to death.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't have a CC fortunately lol.

Just plan on saving up a couple grand over the next 6-7 months so I have a reliable car before next fall.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you want to keep the CGT?

I had to make a decision about my 4ktq, but I only had one car at the time. Our situations are different though.

If you wanna keep the CGT, just dump cash into it when you can, but I would do all of the stuff at once.

No CC?? Mann!!! :P
Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah I'd love to keep it.

When I bought it I wanted to totally restore it but it ended up being my DD instead. It just makes me nervous in it's current condition through the winter. I commute 60 miles a day in it so it needs to be reliable.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default bout tree fiddy.

no but seriously.. i'm still baffled by people who are afraid to dd these cars.. maybe i've been lucky 6 times in a row.. but if they run and nothing is obviously about to break or very overdue for replacement, they're fine.

i've said it time and time again.. i drive my '84 4kq with 255k on it that I got 2 years ago for $350 as my daily, i take it to school with me and the only thing that has ever gone wrong is when the slave cylinder gave out (it was way overdue).

my '85 cgt was the same way, i got it for $500, put a new suspension on it and drove it until i found a 90q20v to donate a 20v and turned it into a project car when i got the 4kq because the damned thing never broke and my hands went soft from lack of wrenching

i got a free '84 cgt that had sat for years and needed a fuel pump, air filter, spark plugs, a new radiator, and new gas (most of which I already had) $100 worth of uhaul rental and gas later I traded it for a built mk1 GTI, the coupe was driven daily by the guy who bought it and eventually sold for $2k

my brother got a $250 90q 10v that he beat the hell out of constantly.. thing never broke.

there have been other b2/3 cars that have been dead solid for me.. but i won't keep listing.. point is.. they are reliable cars. people who tell you otherwise are overlooking the obvious.

Quick Reply: How much $$$ to make a Coupe GT a reliable DD???