Fun question of the day. for the Carlisle bunch; What demontrations/presentaions etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fun question of the day. for the Carlisle bunch; What demontrations/presentaions etc.

would be of interest? I know structure isn't of much interest but would anyone want to discuss subjects or show some btdt for the old school Audis. Some ideas; cis; turbo; sunroofs; light upgrade/relays;
and of corse the ever popular subjects of food & beverages!
Old 02-14-2009, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Id be up for something

Depends on what people want demonstrated/talked about. I could point out team door handle and how to get the most out of your old ones, as well as some small and effective ways to keep that area up to snuff (new door strikers/hardware).

Whatever I can do or feel comfortable presenting Id be more than happy to do so.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Mike, you could show us how to replace a sunroof in 93845769 easy steps!

I don't think I'll ever remove the electric sunroof. If it goes bad, I'm cranking it shut and leaving it forever.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Haha! Actually removing it isnt the tough part

Remove 4 screws and slide the headliner back and the roof panel pops out (remove the sunroof motor too).

I dunno why I could never get mine lined up properly, it really pissed me off. :P
Old 02-15-2009, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If that projector will be there could we do powerpoint presentations?

I'd be happy to speak about CIS. Anything I am not familiar with or screw up I'm sure Frank or Steve would be happy to help out with. I can bring my Bosch CIS reference books as well.

I had to learn about the CIS system when, after chasing a fuel mix situation for a while, it turned out to be a leaking fuel line causing it to constantly go more and more out of whack. I didn't feel like lying down in 3" of slush in my gravel driveway so I took it to a shop where the guy was supposed to be a VW/Audi expert (stay well away from 410 Auto in Stouffville, Ontario). After fixing the fuel leak he spent a day and a half trying to set the system back to factory settings. I asked him before he started if they were able to do that and he said he was.

After not being able to get the car sorted out and flooding it really badly several times he told me I was welcome to come in and see if I could do any better. After 10 miutes of resetting the fuel mix and checking the intake plumbing the car started perfectly, with one small exception... a misfire. By this point all I wanted to do was get the heck out of the shop.

When I got the car home I discovered that when they pulled the spark plugs to allow the gas to evaporate after flooding it out they had dropped a plug on the floor and shorted out the electrode. they also managed to break off a small piece of the ceramic as well. Then, to hide it they changed the firing order and reinstalled the brken plug. To say I was furious is an understatement.

It has been since then that I am loathed to take my old Audis to anybody for work unless I simply can't do it at home.

Once you familiarize yourself with the CIS system you can see how simple it really is. While the various iterations change how particular functions are handled the premises of operation remain the same.