fun q for the day: what's the worst repair you've had to do on the roadside with any vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fun q for the day: what's the worst repair you've had to do on the roadside with any vehicle?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i had a jeep cj lock up the transmission (manual) while cruising down the highway....

slid into the ditch. i pulled out my tool box and got started wrenching. with a jeep cj, everything is easy to get at and work on. i pulled the top of the tranny box off through the access in the cab. a syncronizer broke and stuck the gears. i got it out and got the tranny into the only gear i could, 2nd. i put the top back on makeing it so the shift forks were properly set in secound so i could hold the gearshift to keep it from popping out.

i made it the 45 miles home. rebuilt the tranny, and got back to driving it.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Replace the big fuel filter..

Not so much 'road side', but out on a trip in a parking lot kind of adventure.

Replaced the big fuel filter, in the winter with cold (freezing!) gas running down my arm.

The filter had been flopping around, and had worn a hole in it's aluminum case, spraying fuel everywhere..

Had to pay ~60.00 for the filter too..
(I needed one *right away*, and I was in no position to negotiate!)

No putting off that repair job...!

:-(
Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've never done a road side repair..Too dangerous in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Banned

Default had my 5kt stall in the fast lane on route nine... blew out the idle screw

had to push it accros three lanes of rush hour traffic to get it into the shoulder to fix it.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

exhaust rotted off right at the cat. had to tie it up and it was a loud drive home.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:37 AM

Blew out a rear fuel line on PA turnpike.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 15 degrees F - electrical to CIS issue

This was on my old 1985 Jetta GLI, probably back in 1994 or so. I was driving home on Michigan road and had just driven under the interstate (I-65). Car just died suddenly, and I was able to coast into the large median left by the underpass.

I remember how grumpy I was trying to handle some little wires with numb fingers and icy cold wire crimps!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:43 AM

Default Clutch...... in a aircooled Beetle.....

So not really that big of a job all things considered. I dumped the clutch screwing around trying to impress some girls. The lining came off 1/2 of the clutch disk and lodged between the lining on the other half and the flywheel. I was about 100 miles from home. The local Napa had a clutch kit. I did not even have any tools... so I had to buy a cheapo metric wrench an socket set. Whole job only took an hour, but I was one dirty sucker when it was done.

The girls were good sports about the whole deal... but not *that* good.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wiring harness caught fire in an old 73 Toyota I had...

I had to put it out, and then splice parts of a electrical cord from a lamp I had in the trunk just to limp the bastard home. That was fun, not!

In terms of my Audis, I had to replace the accelerator cable bushing on the side of the freeway in the dark after work one night. Didn't have a spare (or many tools for that matter) so I ended up eliminating the intermediate connector (those who have done this job before will know what I mean) and used the one good bushing that was left to attach the throttle cable directly to the gas pedal. That also required that I loosen the throttle cable from its mount under the hood so that it had enough slack to reach the pedal on the other end. Then I limped the bastard home. Also fun...not!

Quick Reply: fun q for the day: what's the worst repair you've had to do on the roadside with any vehicle?