Drove it some more today, however it is extremely hard to get it into gears...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove it some more today, however it is extremely hard to get it into gears...

Clutch works great, but my tranny starts to buck a lil in 2nd gear and like I said before it's a pita to get the shifter into gear. BTW with the car off no problem going in and out of gears, but once car is running it's very hard. Does it sound like it's just out of adjustment. If so what would be the first adjustment point to start with (in the car or under the car. Could possibly be out of alignment because the engine might sit a little farther foward, because of aftermarket engine mounts (mustang 4.6l tranny mounts). Suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:32 PM

Default How's reverse?

If it does not gring going into reverse, then your clutch is disengauging properly. When you say hard to shift, do you mean getting it into 1st or from 1st to 2nd or all of the gears. Are there any unusual noises from the transaxle when shifting?
Old 09-09-2006, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Reverse is grinding and it's hard just to get into a gear to begin with. After..

you initially get it into first it's easier to get to 2nd, but you still gotta eventual stop and thats where it's a pain again. All the gears are pretty much the same. Third is a little easier since it's in the middle, but it's still not as easy as before.

"Are there any unusual noises from the transaxle when shifting?"
Not that I noticed were unusual.

Once I do get it into 1st & drive, things get easier to shift, but it deff is not as easy as it should be.

So since it grinds going into reverse, it's my clutch not disengauging?
Old 09-09-2006, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default These are my possible problems...

Hydraulically Operated Clutch:

Clutch master cylinder leaking or bypassing pressure, slave cylinder leaking, clutch flex hose leaking, pedal bushings worn or missing, or a cracked firewall can reduce the system's ability to disengage the clutch. Rule of thumb: If the clutch master cylinder is bad, replace both master and slave cylinders as a pair. This will save you future heartache.

I'm not going to rule out the master or slave cylinder, but they worked before the swap and the slave was fairly new. Idk what the clutch flex hose is yet, but I'll find out and it could be the bushing. I'm thinking it's the firewall, as I know that is a fairly common problem, so I'm going to look in the possible spot. I know 034 sells a firewall brace to fix this. I'm still open to other suggestions or BTDT.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Anyone have pictures of where the firewall brace mounts? thanks
Old 09-10-2006, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default got a similar problem on a 4kq quattro here, replaced clutch to no avail....

swapped my master from another working 4kq no dice...
frustration set in and i haven't touched the car in months.

Keep me posted as to what you find please!!

Thanks

-Richard
Old 09-10-2006, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the reply, Here's some of my thoughts...

Master and slave are fairly new, and my brakes work fine. That stuff is shared with the clutch. I don't think I have air in the line as, both pedals are firm and come right back up. I had air in the system a year or so back and pedal went right to the floor while driving, I was like wtf! Anyway, since the car starts to buck a little in 2nd gear, feels like it has to do with something not letting go or something, I'm starting with the firewall brace, as I think that has to do with the bucking as well as not being allowed to get it into gear. With the extra power and the extra firm new clutch I have, I'm thinking it's putting to much stress on my firewall and making it bend. I will keep you updated. I'm going to have someone watch the firewall, when I'm getting it into gears. I hope its that rather than anything else as thats the easy fix.