am I nuts, 1984 Quattro non op for 8 years

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some more photos. got the new carpet mats in, and the restored now black Momo steering wheel that had been red.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

replaced the reverse light switch yesterday,(lots of fun--have to remove the catalytic converter to get better access to it) and the reverse lights still do not work. got to dig a bit deeper. Already checked fuse and bulbs. I think next I have to check to see if the switch is getting 12V one side with the key on, and if the reverse position on the gear shift is actually engaging the switch and giving continuity between the two wire tabs. Hopefully I can still figure out a way to get reverse lights, even if I have to run a few new wires. Its the last electrical thing on the car that is not working right now!

May have found some pretty cool 15 X 7 period wheels that I will have to grab if the price is right for future use.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

pretty funny what I found today dealing with the reverse lights not working. That system on the car was really messed up. The switch was not getting 12V, the tranny is not engaging the switch for some reason when the car is in reverse, and the wire from the switch to the reverse lights had a ground short in it. too much to try and sort all that out. I wired then up manually to a switch.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Been driving the car a lot trying to get more confidence in it, and also shaking out some minor issues. Got lucky yesterday, as the brand new heater valve started to fail but didn't sprout a geyser until I got home in the garage. could have been a mess if it happened 30 miles from home. I hate the use of really cheap plastic in coolant system parts. I found an all metal heater valve in the same configuration from an earlier 4000 that should work and last longer than two weeks.

Got a chance to restore the rear spoiler and bumper this week. sorry I didn't take any progress photos--it was a messy job. the bumper had a lot of deep scratches and gouges, and the rear spoiler had a ton of paint on it and was covered with deep cracks and fractures in the finish. Had to strip the spoiler all the way down and respray with primer and paint with flex additives. Used a chem stripper, my sander, and the bead blasting cabinet to strip it. Was a pain getting it off the car with all the glue strips that are used to attach it. the bumper was repaired with plastic parts repair materials and sprayed with bumper coater.

still have an issue with the drivers inside door handle not wanting to open the door unless I pull up on the door lock. maybe an adjustment needed in there. lots of wind noise on the passengers front window I need to look into. Rear seat belts do not retract well-mechanisms may need to be cleaned. I find because the car looks so new, my friends expect everything to work perfect in it!

Last edited by onlyaudis; 05-28-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Fixed the wind noise issue!--the wing window catch had been installed incorrectly by someone in the past.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi-driver1126
upload a video of the sound perhaps? looks very good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxuhHGOmSDo

here is short video of the Hushpower HP 2 on my 4000Q
Old 05-29-2012, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default exhaust note drive by video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5-YIibzlk8
Old 05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds beautiful!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

That exhaust is perfect. I will have to show you mine. You might have to try and ignore the poor condition of it though. old rusty pipes, scratchy paintwork, peeling clearcoat. squeaky belt! the list goes on (sigh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwwhx5mMWR8

tell me what you think about the sound
Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

hard to tell the real exhaust sound from stationary revving, need to do a drive by under load shifting gears to get the full affect. sounded good though.

Last edited by onlyaudis; 05-30-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Quick Reply: am I nuts, 1984 Quattro non op for 8 years