4kq needs suspesnion spring me your ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4kq needs suspesnion spring me your ideas

MY 84 4000 quatro is in dire need of suspension what should i get ?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

miss spelled suspension doh
Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Depends on what your after & how much work your willing to do. I went with coilovers for the adjustability & spring rate options down the road, alot of fabrication involved, however. But if your just looking to improve what it has without a ton of work invested, Just get some H&R springs and a quality shock.

Kinda vague with your question since I dont know if its a street car, autoxr, rally beater, concourse queen, canyon carver, etc.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed, it really depends on what you're looking for. But for reference, I'm running H&Rs with (new) Sach's (Boge) shocks. My prior ride, 1995 90 q, had H&Rs and Bilsteins. Handled great, but it was a bit of a rough ride. This time around, with my 4k, I wanted a slightly more forgiving ride. That's why I went with OEM shocks with H&Rs. I've got a nice, lower stance (-1.5"), great handling, but the ride isn't too harsh. I think it's a pretty good street setup for a daily driver. Plus you save a few bucks on the shocks compared to the "sportier" stuff.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default finally had a chance to respond

okay what i want from the car is to be able to dirt / snow driving while still being a daily driver
Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I like stock springs and Koni yellow sport shocks. Its an all wheel drive car with a Rally history, so why lower it down like some Honda Civic. The factory spring rates and ride height are just about perfect for a street car IMO.(especially if you have bad roads like we do) set the front konis at about 50%,(they are externally adjustable, so they can be changed any time) and the rears at 30% from soft. ride quality is fantastic with these settings, and the car handles surprisingly well. the addition of a rear sway bar to this set up is amazing--turn in improves a lot, with almost no loss of ride quality. I adapted one from an A4 to my car, but 2Bennett sells a kit ready to go. yes, it is expensive, but after seeing how hard it is do DIY, it may be worth what they are asking. this car responds to a rear bar really really well.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

forgot to mention, because of how old these cars are now, the first thing to do to "improve your suspension" should be to weed out all the worn out suspension parts--control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, front and rear. If they haven't all been changed recently, i can tell you with certainty, all that stuff will be in bad shape. new shocks, springs, and sway bars won't make up for blown out bushings and wobbly ball joints.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by onlyaudis
forgot to mention, because of how old these cars are now, the first thing to do to "improve your suspension" should be to weed out all the worn out suspension parts--control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, front and rear. If they haven't all been changed recently, i can tell you with certainty, all that stuff will be in bad shape. new shocks, springs, and sway bars won't make up for blown out bushings and wobbly ball joints.
Absolutely! This is a really great point.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by road2speed
MY 84 4000 quatro is in dire need of suspension what should i get ?
If you don't want to lower it, and want 'inexpensive"...

Get some front springs from 'coupe quattro' (90 coupe).
Put them in the forn of your 4kq (makes it a bit stiffer an slightly higher), then take your old front 4kq spring you just removed, and install them in the back. Again, a bit stiffer and higher, but nothing crazy..

If you are just looking to git rid of the normal 'rear end sag', you could just go with replacing the back spring with another set of front springs.

Either way, stiffening it up a bit makes the car turn in a bit better, with a bit less understeer.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

nice never thought of swapping the springs ill keep my eye open for some 90 quatro springs

Quick Reply: 4kq needs suspesnion spring me your ideas