1986 GT Coupe suspension upgrade question

Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 AM
THG
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 GT Coupe suspension upgrade question

Hello,
I am a nube with my first Audi. A 1986 FWD GT Coupe commemorative with 57k miles. As many that have come before me I would like to upgrade the original suspension with slightly lowered springs and Bilstein HD shocks. The usual places I look for parts, autohauaz, pelican parts, H&R etc have not been helpful. Can anyone direct me to a seller or existing thread who understands this vehicle. I live in the Pacific NW.

I have owned and worked on several late model BMWs and was always able to find what I needed no problem. This Coupe is turning out to be a special little needy princess.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you just want to lower it, springs can be had on eBay. This site trashes links, but if you search eBay for "AUDI 4000 type 85 1984-1987 PI LOWERING SPRINGS" (NOT quattro), you'll find them.

You can also very easily make adjustable coilovers, if you're handy, in which case you can use whatever coilover springs you want (spring rate, et cetera). This is what they'll look like:

Name:  59aa1e24.jpg
Views: 2869
Size:  85.8 KB

I'm trying to remember what the CGT has for rear springs. Are they coilover or are they separate from the strut?

-Rog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
59aa1e24.jpg (85.8 KB, 180 views)
Old 03-14-2014, 04:17 PM
THG
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rogviler
If you just want to lower it, springs can be had on eBay. This site trashes links, but if you search eBay for "AUDI 4000 type 85 1984-1987 PI LOWERING SPRINGS" (NOT quattro), you'll find them.

You can also very easily make adjustable coilovers, if you're handy, in which case you can use whatever coilover springs you want (spring rate, et cetera). This is what they'll look like:

I'm trying to remember what the CGT has for rear springs. Are they coilover or are they separate from the strut?

-Rog
Hi Rog, Thanks for the help. The rear shocks are inserted in the strut assembly. Coilover I guess. The ready made coilover set ups I have seen are pretty expensive. I was hoping to simply get some lower springs and install them with Bilstein HDs but the places I've looked tell me they don't have any to fit my car.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 4000 coil overs

I have a 1985 audi cgt I can't find rear drums Any help is of help darn I have also bought a set of lowering spring got sent the quattro coupe instead of the fwd cgt Aka 4000 can I use the front coil springs and cut the rears good looking to all who can help

Last edited by astrocoupegt; 04-12-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

How do I remove the front coils without damaging them is it possible. I have used coil compressers but bends the coil when I get compressed help I bugging out
Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Don't cut them

Originally Posted by astrocoupegt
I have a 1985 audi cgt I can't find rear drums Any help is of help darn I have also bought a set of lowering spring got sent the quattro coupe instead of the fwd cgt Aka 4000 can I use the front coil springs and cut the rears good looking to all who can help
I had a 1986 coupe. I would return the springs for the correct ones if you can. Cutting them isn't as easy as it may seem, and it changes the handling characteristics.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default take it slow

How do I remove the front coils without damaging them is it possible. I have used coil compressers but bends the coil when I get compressed help I bugging out
I've used spring compressors in the past with no problems. The only thing I can think is that maybe you're cranking them down too tight on one side at a time? I assume your compressors are to be used as a pair, as mine are.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Got the springs of had to undo the sway bar link for abit more room and out with the old and got the quattro coupe front h&r coils to work so sally is looking good wat do I need to make the back disc brake 4000 rear setup or 90 thanks for the tips
Old 04-14-2014, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Jetta disk brakes for coupe gt

Got the springs of had to undo the sway bar link for abit more room and out with the old and got the quattro coupe front h&r coils to work so sally is looking good wat do I need to make the back disc brake 4000 rear setup or 90 thanks for the tips
I remember seeing a thread where Jetta rear disks bolted up to the coupe gt.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 87.5 special build brakes

Originally Posted by jchrisyoungren
I remember seeing a thread where Jetta rear disks bolted up to the coupe gt.
Also the 87.5 coupe gt special build came with rear disks, but might be tough to find.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1986 GT Coupe suspension upgrade question