Disable Factory Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable Factory Alarm

Hey Everyone!

1996 Audi A6 Quattro

So my check engine light keeps comming on due to low voltage. P1602 is the code I believe. I've taken it to the mechanic, cleared the code, ran all sorts of tests on the battery and charging system and everything comes back ok. Once my car is off for about 10-15 minutes, the check engine light comes back on! Something is draining my battery while my car is off. The battery is new, and there's nothing wrong with the altenator. I've already cleaned the battery terminals and ensured the cables are on tight. I've removed the ECM and cleaned the connections. I cannot figure out what could possible by draining my battery ever so slightly while my car is off. It's gotta be the alarm system. Does anyone know how to disable the alarm?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Try not locking your doors, and see if the problem stays or not, and then you may have found your culprit.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My car is always unlocked...that's the weird part! If I lock my car, 15 minutes later my alarm starts going off!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Problems could be related. If you have a bad door/hood sensor, it could be activating the dome lights while you're away and draining the battery. This would set off the alarm as well.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone have any idea how to disable the alarm system? By doing so that should solve my problem. I can't get my car to pass smog because the stupid check engine light is on.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rmazook
Anyone have any idea how to disable the alarm system? By doing so that should solve my problem. I can't get my car to pass smog because the stupid check engine light is on.
Are you getting the same code? Is the battery actually low?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm getting the same code and I assume that my battery must be low. It's a new battery which leads me to believe that I'm having some sort of ignition off draw. I am almost 100% positive that it's the alarm system. Does anyone know how to disable it?
Old 08-28-2010, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hookup an ammeter in series with the battery and start removing fuses until the amperage drop on the meter. Once you see the amperage drop, you have now found the circuit which is causing the battery drain. Make sure you have the radio code before pulling the radio fuse.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A new battery does not mean it's in top condition. If the battery in question was sitting it could have sulfur build on on the plates and cannot hold a full charge or is not being fully charged.

Remove the battery or the cables, charge the battery then let it sit for 8 hours. Take a voltmeter, if the battery is not between 12.7-12.8 then your battery is actually shot.
Spiral cells like Optima have less chance to sulfinate as do wet lead acid battery types can.

Bad batteries off the shelf can happen depending on brand and stock rotation.

Check for broken door switches as well as the hood and trunk.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't have access to any kind of meters to test anything. All I want to do is disable the alarm system. Does anyone know how to do this? Forget the battery testing and the door/hood switches, just wanna disable my factory alarm system.

Quick Reply: Disable Factory Alarm