1990 Audi 100 electric windows/sunroof don't work

Old 11-27-2002, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Audi 100 electric windows/sunroof don't work

Sorry if this is a repeat. I'm new to this. Replaced relay under kick panel & vacuum pump by battery with junkyard parts. Windows and sunroof still don't work. Is there a circuit breaker that I'm not aware of? Gas gauge does't work yet tank is full. Key does not lock and unlock on drivers side. Manual locking from inside the car works fine (locks and opens all 4 doors). Am I dealing with frayed wires regarding the windows and sunroof? Help.
Old 11-27-2002, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which relay did you replace??....

There's a large relay (takes up two slots) under the kick panel. That relay controls the sunroof and the windows. Is that the one you replaced??

The door lock is probably broken or the linkage just fell off. Either way you'll have to pull the door panel to determine which problem you have.

Hopefully others can help you with the fuel gauge!!
Old 11-28-2002, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Which relay did you replace??....

Thanks. That's the one. It takes up two slots. My luck is that the "replacement" relay from the junkyard wasn't any good. Have you heard anything about a window/sunroof circuit breaker? Someone mentioned that to me some time ago.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That relay IS the circuit breaker. Another....

...somewhat remote possibilty is that the door contact switch is busted. Check them on all of your doors and see if any are broken off. The little rubber cover just pulls off. You may get lucky!!
Old 11-29-2002, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Another window/sun roof problem post

I've got the same problem with the power windows and the sun roof not working. I pulled the solenoid and took the cover off but nothing looked "burned" or shorted. Tried trouble shooting the solenoid using my Fluke and the wiring diagram on the side to no avail.

Found a link on this site https://forums.audiworld.com/general/msgs/19493.phtml but under "Misc. Models" where he had the same problem. He replaced the solenoid and the windows/sun roof work now.

The solenoid is very expensive ($150 - $250?) and the Audi dealer has a policy of "No Returns" on electrical items so I've been hesitant to just buy one. Given the odds of this being the problem, and given the high hourly shop rate, taking the chance is probably worth it.

In the future I plan to only operate the power windows and the sunroof when the engine is running to avoid "low-voltage".

Also, I read somewhere that says one should lube the tracks in the sun roof frequently - maybe this cuts down on friction?

This is a really good board for keeping our cars running!<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/general/msgs/19493.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/general/msgs/19493.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 11-30-2002, 03:35 AM

Default Re: That relay IS the circuit breaker. Another....

I'll try that next. Thanks. I'll then move to the solenoid route posted by "searchin99". Could my contact points on the relay be bad? I looked at the plate that makes the relay a "double-wide" and it looked like some of the contacts were funny. For kicks I may go back to the junkyard and pull the plate. I'm not a mechanic, just determined.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Another window/sun roof problem post

I'm an idiot, but trying. Where is the solenoid located as it relates to the windows and sunroof problem? I don't even know what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2002, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would open up your "spare" relay and look at every solder joint....

You may find a cold joint that will fix your problem. BTW, you'll know a cold joint because it will look different than every other solder joint!!

It's worth a shot!! Good Luck!!
Old 12-01-2002, 03:48 AM

Default Re: I would open up your "spare" relay and look at every solder joint....

I'll give a shot, but soon I think I may just shoot my Audi.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2002, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Always a viable option when owning an Audi!! :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 Audi 100 electric windows/sunroof don't work