trying to find the right steering rack....will this fit my car? (more inside, please read)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trying to find the right steering rack....will this fit my car? (more inside, please read)

My rack is shot...it doesn't leak..it pours....i have power steering as long as there's fluid in the reservoir....wich is about 2 minutes(overestimated)..not to mention the smoke coming from the cats when they get hot...it's undriveble.
It's suppose to be my dayly ride so i can pamper my 95.5 S6 but it turns out to be the other way around....my S6 takes a beat while the A6 sits parked.
Is a 95(May 95)Audi A6 quattro sedan with 135k miles in "perfect condition" minus the dead rack ;P
I understand that the rack has servotronic(whatever that is and whatever that does besides being a PITA in finding one)...i found this on e-bay ...price is wonderful BUT....will it fit?
I mailed the seller as well and i'm hoping he will say yes...however any help is very much apreciated.
Thank you so much for your inputs.<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=8043385919">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=8043385919</a</li></ul>
Old 05-01-2006, 08:01 PM

Ask Berlina he might still have one! Smokie
Old 05-01-2006, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If your car has Servotronic..that rack on ebay is the wrong rack

The rack listed in that ebay auction is a NON-servotronic rack..and thus why so inexpensive. It is NOT the right rack for your car if you have a Servotronic system. You can tell by looking at the option codes for your car (Servotronic is code 1N3) or looking at the rack and if there is a wire plugged into it, it is servotronic.

I recently replaced the rack in my 1996 A6 myself. I got a used and leaking Servotronic rack for $160 from a junk yard then spent another $130 on rebuild parts, plus about 6 hours taking the rack apart and putting it back together with all the new o-rings. A rebuit Servotronic rack will set you back $600-800 depending on where you get it(think the dealer wants in excess of $1000 for a rebuild).

Putting it in is a big job. If you want to talk about it with me, send me an e-mail and I will send you my phone number to call. I have some pictures of the replacement job and if you search this forum you will see my pictures of the rack as I was rebuilding it.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i spend 3 days replacing the PS hose to find out that it was the rack....

this sucks so bad!!!
i might just get the one from Blauparts.com for $325 plus another $300 core charge.
I'm very much interested in taking it out and puting it back in ....i thought that was impossible when i did the steering hose...
definately interested in pictures with taking the rack in and out!!!
iancu_b@yahoo.com is my e-mail
Thank you so much!<ul><li><a href="http://www.blauparts.com/featured_items/Audi_Specials1104/Audi_A4_Reman_RackPinion.shtml">http://www.blauparts.com/featured_items/Audi_Specials1104/Audi_A4_Reman_RackPinion.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 05-02-2006, 06:42 AM

Default Re: i spend 3 days replacing the PS hose to find out that it was the rack....

I removed one from my parts car and all I can tell you was thank God I did not have to put it back in!!!

Smokie
Old 05-05-2006, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, sold that rack already... Hey, kinderutz, might as well get the one in Blau...

I bought smokiesman's rack but realized during installation that what I needed for my '97 C4 was the one w/ 10mm mount bolt and not the one w/ 8mm mount bolts(pre 96 C4). By the way, I had a shop do the install as I didn't have the time to work on it. also, the rack you get from Blau is new.

Side note: usually the rack leak would come from the torned boots. If you are willing to save some money and have time on your hands you can just buy the boots(Febi brand) and replace the one from your leaking rack. I have dismantled and re-assembled this type rack and they are solid except for the rubber boots and some rubber o-rings for the metal hoses.