Transmission Problems... Fluid or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problems... Fluid or something else?

So here's my problem.

1996 Audi A6 Quattro (Automatic Transmission)

The other day, I was driving through deep snow, and drifts along the road, so the drive was pretty bumpy and hard on the car.

The next day I went to drive my car, and realized that now when I come to a complete stop, when I drive the car has to get up to about 4.5k rpm before it will Kick in and drive. Before this, my car has never had a problem with transmission slippage.

The symptoms are:
- Coming from a complete stop, the car has to rev up to about 4.5k rpm before it will engage (I noticed after it engages that my all wheel drive will also kick in) Once the car is going it will continue to go and shift through gears. While driving, the shifting between gears is unnaturally hard, as is the downshifting

- Reverse works perfectly fine

- My instrument cluster (PRND321) - while I'm driving will flip between D N and R, I originally thought this was a loose wire, but may be useful for diagnosing

- The car drives fine if I manually shift between gears 1 thru 3

The VAG-COM reported:
00753 - Electrical Connection to Wheel Speed Sensor
35-10 - - - Intermittent
00526 - Brake Light Switch-F
27-00 - Implausible Signal

Being that there is no dipstick on this audi, is there anyway to check the fluid without the use of a VAGCOM or doing a complete flush?

I also stumbled across someone else with similar symptoms, and they said the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) was their problem...
Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

You could have damaged the speed sensor and/or the connector to the multiswitch that is mounted into the tranny. You should inspect the underside of the tranny for loose and/or broken wires and connectors.

Re: the ATF level, the procedure is as follows: Raise and level the car so you may access the transmission. Loosen the fill plug on the side of the tranny case. Plug your VAG–COM in, and then start the engine. Ensure all accessories, i.e., radio, A/C, are off, and then check the transmission fluid temp with the VAG–COM (I don't recall which channel it is, but you can STFAs for the exact procedure). When the ATF reaches 35 – 45 C, remove the fill plug. The ATF is at the correct level if it just dribbles out of the fill port at this temperature range. If the ATF dosen't dribble out, then you need to add fluid until it does.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply! I looked into the speed sensor symptoms, and it appears that quite a few match up perfectly, so I'm going to look into that. I don't suppose you have a picture of where the speed sensor is located? Is it pretty obvious on the underside of the transmission? or is it difficult to get at?

Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

IIRC for the C4, the speed sensor is located on the transaxle on the passenger side(?), near the top of the circular casing.