Temp Control Flap Motor Replacement Tip

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp Control Flap Motor Replacement Tip

Hi there,

Newish here, and really benefitting from the info & tips.

Replaced my temp control flap motor today---had no heat--now I do! This is a '96 A6Q Avant, by the way.

In doing so, I found one thing that I would have ordered up in addition to the motor itself---the hard plastic cover for side of the box. The plastic is pretty old at this point obviously and two of the platic tabs were already broken either from wear & tear or someone had overtightened in past.

I was able to get mine back on there, and should be fine for a while until I get ahold of replacement---but just thought I'd pass the info along---with hindsight I would definitely recommend trying to source a cover at same time.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-27-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Temp Control Flap Motor Replacement Tip

Would this be the 'thing' to replace if my heat sometimes goes nuts, i.e. really hot, and am getting error, 08.7 Temperature Regulator Flap, sporadic block? Do you have the part numbers for the bits you got, plus that cover?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:15 AM

I believe that it is the same piece. The code I got was 08.5, but was for Temp Regulator Flap--static block. There was quite a bit of good info available here via search----I searched for the actual code numbers and got a good amount of info, in addition to things on FAQ.

Once you get in there, on the opposite side of the box is a bunch of plastic levers, which are moved via the motor. Somewhat possible that something is simply lodged in there if you are getting sporadic block---I had no heat at all. However, by the time you go thru effort to get in there, you likely are well off to have the parts on hand to do replacement.

Here is part # for the motor from mine: 443 820 511 A. I don't have part # for the cover.

Regarding part#--please note that on blauparts.com there were a few different ones available differentiated by plug color (you can see the plug on drivers side of the box) so you likely would want to verify you are getting the right one if you do decide to replace.

I also installed a cabin air filter while I was in there.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-28-2005, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

please add it to the FAQ (link inside). Look for the climate control.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:28 PM

I still have heat in my 95 A6 Q Avant but I can't get it to go on my feet. Same procedure?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:38 PM

I'm no expert on this, but pretty sure NOT the same thing. If you check on the FAQ there are listings of the diagnostic codes and there is a separate grouping for Footwell/Defroster Flap. I would imagine a similar setup/motor etc., but really have no idea.

Do some searches for "footwell heat" etc. or better yet, look up the fault codes and search for those--I do recall seeing some posts about the footwell flaps when investigating, but didn't pay much attention as weren't entirely relevant to my situation.

Good luck.

Vespascuta
Old 11-28-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Unfortunately, no, those motors are located on the inside...

and are a PAIN to get to. There is some info in the archives about the "foot well/defroster vent flaps," but the only access is by removing nearly the whole dash, or pulling out the entire air box. Mine got stuck in the forward position for about 3 months... I was looking into fixing everything, and played with it one last time by cranking both the blower speed and the temperature all the way up ("HI" and max blower). Miraculously the flaps started working again, and I have now had no problems for over a year (knock on wood). Alas, those flap motors are a much different job, and BIG $$$ for the dealer to do it.

~scrogers
Old 11-29-2005, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Me the expert (haha): I fixed all motors, zero $$ parts, 3 hours dissasembly, 1 hour reassembly.

1. All three motors (and potentiometers) are the same, either they cost from $120 to $280.
2. The link is the clean up procedure for any of the three motors.
3. Cold/hot motor form under the hood: access in 15 minutes: take the rain cover, disassamble the wiper motor (whole), unscrew the 6 screws holding the dust cover (protecting the motor), pull the motor assembly out, clean it.
4. Under dash flaps: access 3 hours:
a. Glove compartment (4 screws), easy.
b. Under stirring wheel, 2 covers (5-6 screws), easy.
c. Center console: not-easy, start from the back, 2 screws under front seats left -right holding the cover between the seats, have to move seats ahead to see screws. Center console cover: two screws under the trany shift cover, two screws at the left and right of the row of buttons (fogs, rear defrost, etc), which screws are hidden under the blanks covers at each end of the buttons, two screws in the central vent (after pulling the vent cover), they are transversal, not longitudinal with the car; not sure if two more screws are under the wood trim around the climate control; pry this cover from the ashtray up, lift it and you access the screws. You do not need to disassemble the radio, climate control, ashtray, etc from the main bracket. You need only to pull the cover over the bracket (which cover encloses the sides) to access the connectors of the motors. One connector is red, the other blue.
Disconnect the vents going to the back of the car and the vent at the passenger side, under the airbag, going to the side vent.
Disconnect the blue and red connectors and pull the motors assembly out. To do so, unscrew on each side one vertical screw (holding the assembly) and one horizontal screw (holding the motor arm to the flap arm).
Pull out the assembly (a long tray like with the motors). Each motor is enclosed in a protective case (same as the motor under the hood).
Follow the cleaning procedure at the link.
So far as I remember.
I wish I could have taken pics and make a write-up.
If anybody in Cleveland area wants to do this I would be happy to assist and take pics for write-up.
Took me 3 hours to take off the motors because I did not have tools.
I took me 1 hour to put everything together (after cleaning the motors).
Everything works fine after 2 month.
I have to give credit to "markogyver" for the servorepair write-up.<ul><li><a href="http://home.comcast.net/~marcogyver/audiworld/Servorepair.pdf">http://home.comcast.net/~marcogyver/audiworld/Servorepair.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 11-29-2005, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the parts you need if you want to fix it.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:27 PM

http://www.eveshamsquash.co.uk/audi/climate.html
check out this link