Squealing/Squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing/Squeaking noise

Just bought the 97 A6 Wagon and love it, however I'm unfamiliar with AWD and Audi's in general.

When driving the car, mainly noticeable on the highway, if I take my foot off the accelerator the car seems to grab a bit. Nothing dramatic, just like somebody gently(but quickly) hit the brakes lightly. Is this normal or expected?

Secondly, when I take my foot off the accelerator (not breaking), both highway and city, a squeak/squeal seems to come from the front right tire area and seems to continue until I accelerate again (or come to a complete stop). Does anybody have any thoughts on what this might be?

Any insights to these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin Changet
Old 02-25-2007, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome Kevin

We've got a '95 wagon and it drives just like any car. Nothing strange happening when we let up on the power.

I'd suggest starting by jacking it up and checking to see if all the wheels turn freely....as in; are the brakes grabbing due to a bad caliper, or bad brake flex hoses.

Also, after you're done with a drive, touch the wheels and see if one is hotter than the rest, indicating a dragging brake at that location....again, due to either a bad caliper or bad brake flex house.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:01 PM

Default I find that my Quattro A6 loses speed when I "coast" faster than most cars I have driven

It could be the AWD. I guess using a broad definition, I could see the faster decelleration being called a "grab." The two basis for comparison are an F-150 pickup and a Toyota Avalon - they coast a lot longer.

Cheers, and good luck with your squeak!
-Jeff
Old 02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my Q slows down faster than my FWD when coasting

I haven't taken the time to figure out why. I just chalked it up to another differnce between the two cars. Now that AustinAdo mentions it, I should check the brakes for any drag the next time I drive it.

I've heard the Q is roughly 500 pounds heavier than the fwd...maybe that's part of the equation.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Quattro and Automatic will be create more drag than a manual/2wd

My car slows down faster than most as well, the AWD definitely plays a role.

Also VAG rear discs are notorious crap, the parking brake can stick especially in colder weather.