Smokin' Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smokin' Brakes

Hey guys,

I know, it's been awhile right? I was actually abroad in Guatemala for second semester, and then I got an internship in Thailand for the summer. The result? Very little Audi driving. I'm back!

She's on the road now, and handling fine. Since my failure point when I took it off the road last time was siezed brakes, not anything engine based, I did the "bad thing" and had my dad bring it up and down the driveway once a month. Hence no sieze...but...

Today, I returned, and I rode the brakes hard to try to clean them off. I feel comfy with the braking ability (used to be better, though). That said, when I got home, after riding them pretty rough, there was smoke and not so great smell coming off of the brakes. I'm packing to go to college for tomorrow morning - could it just be crud burning off from 8 months of limited use, or am I looking at a case of siezed brakes.

...how can I test?

Cheers!
-Jeff
Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 PM

Default Update - not siezed...wtf

Ok, so it's easily moved in neutral...skeptical on siezed brake. But another cruise up and down the hill showed nearly immedate smoke production upon braking - do I just have crap all over it? I had my unbiased/if anything overly cautious father drive it up and down the road, no pull to either side, good braking.

Weird?

-Jeff
Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Brake hoses leaking onto rotors when under pressure?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Drive a very little ways, get out feel the heat on each wheel

are they hot? Are some otter than others? Are they hot enough o produce smoke? Are not, yet do? Not smoke, etc.

Grant
Old 08-26-2008, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is the smoke coming from front or rear?...

I've had the rears partially seize because the handbrake cable wasn't free.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Update - not siezed...wtf

I had this problem a while back when I got new brakes on both front and back.
My smoke was coming from the rear brakes. The adjustment for the rear caliper is very tricky. They had mine adjusted down enough to make the parking brake hold, but it was too much and would rub the back rotor when I drove.
SO it wasn't completely seized, but they intermittenly would get "Stuck". I had a different mechanic try to readjust and now my parking brake doesn't hold. But at least my brakes don't smoke.
I figure if two separate independent shops (who work on Audis and other foreign cars) can't get this adjustment right, then it MUST be tricky.

Hope this helps!
~Christy
Old 08-29-2008, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no reason to "clean" the brakes. They'd have done that with normal use in a few miles.