Need some advice on using Ross-Tech with a generic cable if possible...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some advice on using Ross-Tech with a generic cable if possible...

I downloaded the simple version of Ross-Tech onto my PC and got a USB reader off of eBay (sorry but I can't afford $200 for a real-deal cable from Ross). I keep getting a can't find "com 1" pop-up, I can't get the damn thing to recognize so if someone could give me a step-by-step way to use this program I'd appreciate it. They provided me a driver MP3 but it seems useless, I can't get it open or install anything.

Thanks All!
Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I thought you couldn't use a generic dongle with VAG-COM, hence the price.

You could use the free program "VWTOOL" with that generic dongle, and it should do most of what you need as far as reading and clearing codes and maybe other stuff.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why even bother with cables, software, PC, etc. anymore? Get a handheld reader/writer.

Not saying anything bad about anyone's software or cables, but why bother with this approach anymore? You can easily buy a pro-quality plug-in code reader/writer specific to VW/Audi codes - no laptop, no software, no licensing, no special cables - and still be able to read codes, run diagnostics, monitor output measures, and write values back to the ECU. I have reprogrammed several things and can clear codes in a few clicks and the same one works on my 94 C4 and on my 01 allroad (when I had it). I got mine from ECS Tuning and it was only about $109 at the time (about a year and a half ago). I bought an extra-long extension cable so I can run it inside the car while it's plugged in via the relay box under the hood. I've seen others on Ebay since.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default If the adapter is USB then you need to load drivers for it

check device manager for a unknown device or for a new serial port. what computer are you using? does it have a com port?
what com ports are listed in device manager..
Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm running Windows XP on "Boot Camp" on my MacBook. Where do I...

look for a com port? I got a driver MP3 but can't make heads or tails of it....
Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can use the generics with VAG...

The only issue I've had so far with the cheap-o is that it will not access the airbag module. Everything else works well. VWTOOL also could not access it.

I'll eventually cough up the money for the real deal...
Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You need the driver...

It should not be a .mp3 file though, that is strictly an audio format...It will most likely be an exe, zip, or rar.

After you get the driver installed and the computer recognizes the device, you need to go into the VAG setup and choose the COM port that it is connected to.

To find this, right click on "My Computer", select properties. Under the Hardware tab you'll see Device Manager, open this and find your cable on the list. Right click, properties and it will tell you which port it is on.

Also, the COM port will change based on which USB port you use, so using the same port each time helps.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can use a generic dongle (giggity) with my VW, but the damn Audi, no such luck
Old 03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ed, could I email you the driver file and you could figure out which one it is? I can't...

decode this stuff, I'm NOT a computer person like you or EVOL. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, send it over.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on using Ross-Tech with a generic cable if possible...