Lost my bellypan! Tragedy averted...but advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my bellypan! Tragedy averted...but advice needed

Ok, so my bellypan fell off yesterday night. I was driving up a hill on my campus, and suddenly heard a "CHHHHH" of something dragging. Pulled over into a parking space, threw on my flashers, and had at it with a screwdriver. I was headed somewhere, so pulled the last bolt thingy off of it, and tossed the pan in the rear area.

Today I reattached it. The three screw-ish things all the way in the back are there, as well as two of the twisty attaching devices. Do you think it's alright to drive until I get home (april) and can rig up some twisty screw things to put though the bolt-less holes? Unfortunately my resouces here are limited to the toolkit in my car.

I don't want to lose her on the highway!

I hope this made sense!
-Jeff
Old 02-25-2007, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default 99% of the cars on the road today dont have sound dampening pans.

Putting it back on doesn't solve the problem as to why it came off in the first place. It sounds like all 7 attachment points came loose and you got lucky that you only drug it for a bit. How did they all come loose? Did you tighten all of them last time you changed the oil? It's pretty rare to lose it by dragging it. It usually comes off front side first after dislodging it by snagging the bumper by backing up over one of those cement parking stops. Seriously, the main reason for it is to deaden outside engine noise, and as the first line of defense against nose dives out of/into driveways.
*Twist ties wont work because you only have one hole to work with. It will stay in place with only one speed nut and screw on each side until you can get to the dealer to buy 2 more screw/nut sets.*
Unfortunately almost always, the plastic opening that holds the speed nut in place in the pan breaks and then you're SOL. as long as you have at least one good attachment point on either side, leave it at that. Remember that all the extra stuff you add to secure the pan has to come off every time you change the oil, etc.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default As a 1%er I suggest he keep the pan on and use zip-ties in .....

all the available empty points, even the two at the very front.

But taking it off isn't the end of the world either. Just makes your engine bay dirty(er).
Old 02-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Just drive backwards.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The dealer here stocks all the fasteners & goodies to keep them mounted. Buy 'em.

They're not that expensive, and just take a slotted stubby screwdriver to install.

But until then, as suggested, zip-ties are your friend.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I second that....

I second that...I have used zip-ties for as long as I have had the car and while a pain sometimes it works great.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Third...zip ties have saved me a few $ with my car!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If questionable...

Leave it off. Mine was dragged for a long ways by somebody else driving the car and got destroyed. I've been going without it for going on 3 years now.

Once you have new proper working hardware reinstall it.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

aka "Smoke Signals"??
Old 02-25-2007, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default How do you use zip ties at the sides with one hole?

Do you drill holes into the wheel well splash guards and the pan? Zip ties are fine to get you home, but nah. Not to hold your car together. Don't be lazy. Use the right parts. IMOHEO, that is.

Quick Reply: Lost my bellypan! Tragedy averted...but advice needed