First Road Trip in my new 1997 A6 Avant Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Road Trip in my new 1997 A6 Avant Q

Hello All,

This is my first post on the Audi World forum, Im sure i'll be a regular user because after racking up 500 snowy miles this last weekend, my A6 Avant is a keeper!

Mechanically, the car did not miss a beat over the 500 miles and the Quattro is functioning perfectly - I drove to Tahoe in the middle of a snow storm during a bonanza week of snow fall and the A6 was unbelievably surefooted, i was loving it!

1.Electronically I had one major issue - the defrost in the car simply stopped working in the middle of the snow storm - I went from low visibilty to zero with all windows fogged up. Turning the air on low and directing max. air flow to the windows was no help and my gf had to spend miles frantically wiping the inside of teh windshield for miles until we reached the first exit. Turning off the a6 and restarting 30 mins later gave no improvement. Eventually we ended up driving with the windows 1/4 down and with the air on maximum low, this solved the problem but as it was 26F outside this was less than a pleasurable drive.

The defrost seems to work fine when temp is above freezing, but in the cold snowstorm it was worthless...

2.Also the radio randomly turned off 4 times during the drive. Loose Connection?

3.And onboard computer is not turning on,screen is blank, hence no cruise control, mpg estimate etc...

Any suggestions/troubleshooting advice/previous experience with these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

You probably need a new ignition switch, the procedure is in the FAQ: http://forums.quattroworld.com/a6100/msgs/3.phtml
Old 04-03-2011, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

There is no mileage screen on this version of the C4. If your cruise control isn't working, there is something else going on. The screen in the gauge cluster is for the autocheck system. You can do a test to see if it's working. Do you have the owner's manual? The procedure is in there or if you search here you'll find it.

Not sure about the defrost. It's possible you have some moisture getting into the car. I've never had that problem with this car down to -15. Do some searching on that too.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

'There is no mileage screen on this version of the C4. If your cruise control isn't working, there is something else going on. The screen in the gauge cluster is for the autocheck system. You can do a test to see if it's working. Do you have the owner's manual? The procedure is in there or if you search here you'll find it.'

Tela, thanks for the repsonse, the Bentley Owners manual is purchased and en route, so will be able to do more trouble shooting once that gets to me.
So the autocheck screen is the screen that gives me an 'OK' upon ignition? I had just assumed the black space beneath that screen was another screen that gave MPG, Cruise readings etc. Is this not the case? If not, then is there no screen that shows what the cruise control is set at?

And the defroster issue - do you think this could be related to the Ignition switch?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Correct, there is no mileage computer. There was on earlier C4's and on C5's.
If you aren't getting results here, check at quattro world.