Concerns about my heater blowing smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerns about my heater blowing smoke.

A quick story:

I was going west on I-20, in Georgia, when I decided to turn the heat on towards the windshield and it decided to blow smoke. I've seen posts on where people have replaced their heater cores but does this sound like mine went out? The smoke left smudge on my windshield that's a bitch to get out. I gave it the ol' one, two punch with Goof off and then windex. Help???
Old 12-11-2005, 06:15 PM

Default The only time I've seen smoke from the vents, is from A/C (bad Evap)

Can't see a heater core causing it. Simply because a heater core is no more than a small radiator w/ a fan blowing over it. ( thus pushing the external heat it produces through your vents. Thats why heater cores are encased in boxes.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Elaborate on the Evap.

What is it? What does it do? Easy fix or not? Where is it located?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Elaborate on the Evap.

Well, the evaporator is A/C (Freon) related and really has nothing to do with your heat. Do you get smoke when the A/C is on also? I just reread your post and saw where you mentioned the "smudge" Is the smoke thick or fine? Does it smell? If so like what? Hmmmm. This might be a longshot. But, I suppose it could be possible, that you have a small leak in the heater core and the smoke your seeing is the antifreeze getting hot and turning to steam. Thus the notorious smudge. I'll tell you what check all around the heter core unit and see if you see any coolant drops. If the leak is small enough you might not see a big differance in the antifreeze level. Most won't recomend it, but if your on a budget, through some block sealer in the coolant and see if your smoking problem stops. Oh, and try turning the heat on when the car is cold. If you still get smoke. The above theory is wrong for sure.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The only time I've seen smoke from the vents, is from A/C (bad Evap)

My money is on a bad heater core! When mine went bad it put a layer of crap type haze on the windows that was a bitch to remove! Antifrezze!!!!!!!

Smokie
Old 12-12-2005, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's only smoking with the heat on, and NOT with the a/c.

Looks like a heater core problem than. Is there a write up on core removal or where can I check it? My radiator fluid level is going down, btw, but my thermostat went out 4 days ago anyway. The smoke is nice and thick. Stayed on the windshield. Couldn't tell what is smelled like but it wasn't nice. I had a fun time cleaning it off in the cold weather and i'm not even done. Gotta finish it today.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default YOU WIN!!

I just saw a nice puddle of radiator fluid in my flood board on the passenger side. How easy is it go get to one?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just talked to my mechanic...

WOW..9 hours of labor. That's rediculous, it's ludacris. Guess I have no choice. He said that more and likely the leak caused air to get into my engine and that's why the temp. reading is off...very logical. Guess the thermostat and the water pump ain't out yet!!!!! This college student needs a miracle!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: YOU WIN!!

Yup ! Kinda fig it was bad. I can tell you that I got a new heater core from Advance Auto. Had to order it but only took a day to get it and it was i believe $65 . I had a local fella install it for me and I don't think it was a fun job! He charged me if I remember right around $150! I bet either the inlet or the outlet tube is cracked and leaking! The core looks bulletproof but the cheapo plastic end caps suck the big one!!!

Smokie
Old 12-13-2005, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I hope it ain't the tubes cuz they ain't cheap...

one is like 15 but the other is about 80, the long one.

Quick Reply: Concerns about my heater blowing smoke.