Boiling coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That depends on how the gasket blows. If it blows between coolant and oil passages you can find it intermixed. If it blows between combustion chamber and coolant you may just find burning coolant/steam in the exhaust. You may also find other funny things in that circumstance.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ride23,
Just a simple question: did you bleed the system accordingly? (bleeder at the heater core first, followed by the rear coolant pipe's bleeder)
It sounds like you still have air pockets trapped in the system so you don;t have a proper circulation throughout the whole system.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carmatt59
Ride23,
Just a simple question: did you bleed the system accordingly? (bleeder at the heater core first, followed by the rear coolant pipe's bleeder)
It sounds like you still have air pockets trapped in the system so you don;t have a proper circulation throughout the whole system.
NEGATIVE... more info please.. I only had one bleeder port (that i can remember) on my old b5 s4. Where are they located exactly???
Old 07-28-2010, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The_Hamster
That depends on how the gasket blows. If it blows between coolant and oil passages you can find it intermixed. If it blows between combustion chamber and coolant you may just find burning coolant/steam in the exhaust. You may also find other funny things in that circumstance.
My issue must fall under the "other funny things"
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default one question

I have another thread that explains more of my problems but is there a problem mixing the g-12 (pink) antifreze and water? I must have a blown head and just to get by till I can get it done, I have been topping off with water....Haveing never had an audi, is this a no-no?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Milwaukee
I have another thread that explains more of my problems but is there a problem mixing the g-12 (pink) antifreze and water? I must have a blown head and just to get by till I can get it done, I have been topping off with water....Haveing never had an audi, is this a no-no?
you can but make sure its distilled water.. your basically just diluting your mixture....
Old 08-02-2010, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update: I went to go check out the car today. i popped the hood and coolant reservoir was empty. So i filled it up and ran in with the heat on to circulate the fluid.. i drove it around it was good to go. As soon as i switch to put the A/C and stopped the car. I watched the coolant reservoir level start to increase above the MAX mark. I was worried about overflowing so i but the heat back on and watched it idle. The level went back down to below MAX.

I wanted to see if it would overflow if i left the A/C on, so i changed it back and eventually the coolant overflowed out the bottom of the reservoir. Very odd... The entire time the temp gauge was normal. I pulled the condeser backfrom the radiator and there was a bunch of bugs and crap between them. I will clean it out and see if it helps.

Anyone have any ideas at this point?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Alright ill post another update to myself since this forum is dead. I cleaned out the radiator. Ran the car again. This time i noticed that the fluid level would rise if the car was at idle but as soon as i would open the throttle the level would drop. I really think that there is a clogged radiator. Soooo, i bought a cheapo radiator off ebay and hopefully it will fix the problem.

BTW: i cant find any bleeder ports in the cooling system. I honestly hate the way this car is set up.

Did anyone know that is seriously really easy to pop the hood from under the car? what a terrible design..
Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Clogged radiators are common on these cars so it could be. There's a bleeding procedure on the QW FAQ which is the stickied post on the forum in my sig (which is much less dead than this place by the way).
Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for the thread.. it will be helpful.

Quick Reply: Boiling coolant?