A6 is a mess

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A6 is a mess

Guess I spoke too soon.
new pump in, it frothed like hell for ages with air then it became quiet once it was bled.
Problem though still exists, the steering is stiff, then it gets super nimble. It seems as if the new rack might have a bad servotronic? that would be the worst case scenario.
that is not all though, when I replaced the TB tensioner I must have missed a tooth because the car runs like hell, the brake light, engine light and anti-lock brake light all came on and it smell like rotten eggs.
Unlike my 90 I can't pull codes the old fashioned way and I never did buy a scanner.
If the timing is off by a hair I would not even attempt to drive it 35 miles to the new mechanic.
I did not see the cams or crank move by just replacing the tensioner but something is goofy.
I'll need to tear it apart again to recheck the lines and hope the rack just has some air still th at needs to bleed out.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you use the cam/crank holding tools?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default There is no way to work on the timing belt without the proper tools....all 3 of them.

You likely got a little slack in the belt down at the crank pulley, and when you cranked the engine over, it jumped a tooth or 2. You're lucky if you haven't hit the valves on the pistons.

You need to stop driving it, and don't start it.

Buy or borrow the tools and redo the t-belt!

It's about $100 from EL Paso Tool on ebay or ZDMAC tools online.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:12 AM

Default Pull the servotronic relay and see what happens

You can use a generic code reader for free at most auto parts stores. I can send you the two special tools for the timing belt if you need them. You can borrow the gear puller from the same auto parts store you get the code reader from.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was'nt aware the servo had its own relay

I'll need to take a look, I know most of the relays but can't say I've seen that one.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default whats the third one ? and I have done it without the tools..

it can be done but for a amateur I also would not recommend it..
Old 09-25-2008, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no, I thought I could manage

I clamped both cams and figured slipping the tensioner off without disturbing the crank which is pretty solid unless you torque on it would not be an issue.
The problem came up when I tried to put the tensioner back on and it was just way too tight even with it rotated all the way left so I marked the belt and slipped it off but must have missed a tooth. Live and learn. One tooth won't smack the valves, a few though might.
Not sure about the rotten eggs other then to say as luck is going with this car all 4 O2's just up and died.
It was going in the shop Monday to see why the cruise won't work, guess it will get more love and a free tow now too.
The tech needs to pull codes and run some tests to get it back in shape.
least its quiet now and it has new parts! lol
Sadly it does not seem like the p/s pump was at fault since its doing the same thing even though the dealership said it was unless it still has some burping left to do.
I'll work on that after it runs correctly.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup, a lot of folks yank'm cuz they don't like the overboosted feel...
Old 09-25-2008, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crank holding pin, cam holding bar, cam sprocket puller

There's no way it can be done accurately without holding the crank and cams, and then letting the cam sprockets rotate freely while you set the belt tension.

Sure, you may get the car to run and it may even run okay, but if you put the tools on just to check your work, you'll find the cams are out of time because as you tension the belt it pulls on the cams and pulls them slightly out of time.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default actually I was pretty lucky my first time.

When I finally got my tool everything lined up perfectly.. I did a total of 4 jobs without the tool twice on my 93cs and twice on the A6, I admit the first time I did it I almost messed up but that was the first repair I ever did on my first Audi,I had no clue what I was doing. But once I found the right info and got my Bentley it was all clear to me.. Now that I have the tool I do use it but I would not hesitate to do the job without if they were not available.

Quick Reply: A6 is a mess