94 100 quattro

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 100 quattro

SO, this is my FIRST car. Maybe silly to buy an Audi for my first car? Whatever, I love it, it was a good deal, it just needs a lot of work.

$1000.00
187,000 miles

Engine seems strong, just some oil leaks? I THINK. It may be power steering fluid? Which is the hydraulic fluid? The guy at napa told me it was that and gave me the fluid, but it hasn't helped my steering. I think I may need a new power steering pump because turns are real hard. (Although I'm building up some muscle in my arms haha) I have no idea yet, and as my dad obviously knows nothing about german vehicles and I've had my car for 5 days, and no time to order the repair manual. So help with this!?? Also when i'm making a real hard turn, it makes sort of a winding noise? Not sure how to describe it.

Also, the woman I bought the car from said that some insulation from a pipe under the driver's side came out, so when I press on the brake and release, and for a while after, it makes a real annoying squeeking sound! What do I do about this?

Let's see...can I just buy a battery for my key myself to replace it? It has stopped working...so i'm assuming this is just the battery.

Windows! I fixed the sunroof myself, but, my front driver and passenger windows do not work. The woman said they needed to be "re-cabled"? No idea what that means or how to go about that. Easy fix?

Okay one small thing that's not super significant. I bought a car charger for my phone to plug into the cig lighter. When it gets bumped around a bit or knocked, the fuse blows! Is it just the car is too old to handle that or what? Electrical problem? At least I learned to change a fuse!

ANY help or advice would be soooo appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a nice car and a decent deal.

The first thing you want to tackle is the timing belt service (TB plus tensioner, water pump, thermostat, etc). If you don't know when it was last done or it's been more than 70,000 miles your engine could grenade at any minute going down the road and it'll be a high $$$ fix. Take care of that first and foremost.

Where does the squeak come from? From the brake rotors themselves? If so it could be the wear indicator and you need new pads. If it's from the booster, I'd check to make sure the vacuum lines going to it are good and not crimped or damaged.

Yes, you can get the key batteries cheap on ebay (they're like $4 each at stores and you need 4).

The windows not working: does anything at all happen when you press the switch? If they're completely dead, you may need a new ignition switch, a failing ignition switch causes all sorts of strange electrical issues. If they start to go down but won't go all the way you probably need new regulators.

I bet the adapter is defective and is shorting out. Toss it and buy a new one of a different brand/style and you'll be OK.

Don't forget to read through the QW FAQ: http://forums.quattroworld.com/a6100/msgs/3.phtml