View Full Version : What damage can happen to the engine when ran with low oil pressure? (and AOA buyback question.)

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 08:08 PM
My car went into the shop for low oil pressure.
They just changed the oil and sent me on my way (despite the fact I had already changed my oil the day before, after the light came on.)
Then 4 weeks later on an 800 mile drive home the light came on again..but before it came on there was noticeable knocking noise.

And I had been hearing a spraying/grinding noise since the oil pressure light came on the first time, that was now sounding permenantly when it had only been on occasionally before the drive home.
My car broke down in DC. Had to have it towed to a dealership there..then to a dealership back in NJ.

I'm really afraid of damage that has been done to the engine. I want to negotiate a buyback of the car (not sure how it would work..its a lease) with AOA.
The car has spent about 6.5 weeks in the shop since christmas. And has had a MAJOR problem everytime I have tried to come home.

What damage could have been done to the engine? Valves, lifters, etc..?
And what are my chances of a buyback, if they know I am still interested in another Audi product.
If they won't agree to a buyback, or compensation for all the lost time and stress due to the car they can forget anyone in my family ever buying an audi again (we currently have an 01 a4 and an 01 A6 2.7t, both of which will be off lease next year. My mother was looking at an A8L, until all the BS with my car).
Maybe EdP could be able to answer the last part?

Bobby Kinstle
07-13-2003, 08:10 PM

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 08:11 PM
Probably more..I was driving alot, with no indications of it. Since I thought they would have fixed it the first time

Just excessive wear on the engine, from the low oil pressure? Or worse, more specific damage?
I need specific ammunition for my phone conversation with AoA

Hokie_Audi
07-13-2003, 08:11 PM
They should have pulled the oil pump. This could get ugly.

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 08:13 PM
But if AoA wants to try and screw me
I will be quick to post details
Especially since I told the first dealer i suspected it was the oil pump

Bobby Kinstle
07-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Crank bearings, rod bearings, cam bearing, etc.

Bobby Kinstle
07-13-2003, 08:23 PM
check your local lemon laws.

kolosy0
07-13-2003, 08:25 PM
starvation causes spun bearings which result in at least a short block rebuild. major $$$$$$$

sorry dude...

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 08:29 PM
when I call AOA

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 08:30 PM
Im at 37k/2 years 1 month
NJ lemon law is at 18k/2 years (whichever is less)

but, if they don't
We will raise hell
I'm still willing to right this off as a bad experience and get into another audi, but if they try and make me bend over here, NEVER will anyone I (or my mother) have influence over buy another audi

And the fact that my mother manages a few thousand people earning mid six figures usually has a pretty good impact

kolosy0
07-13-2003, 08:30 PM
i can tell you that w/o even owning an audi.

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 08:31 PM
I would like to avoid that
However a ****fest ending in a lawsuit would allow me to pick up a different brand car and badmouth audi to anyone who will listen

Evilclown
07-13-2003, 08:42 PM
Dealerships aren't in the business of compensating for "mental anguish" or things like that, so you're better off not even asking if you don't want to get laughed at. As for what kind of damage low oil pressure causes...

Spun engine bearings, scored cylinder walls, scored or wiped cam lobes. Really, pretty much anything in your engine that comes into contact with oil can be damaged. Spun rod bearings can result in the piston letting go and punching a hole in the block.

Cars really should come with oil pressure gauges as standard equipment. By the time the idiot light comes on, it's already too late, and you're getting a new engine or car.

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 08:50 PM
we went straight to AOA
and I'm not talking mental anguish
I'm talking getting stranded in the middle of an 800 mile drive, while I was going home to catch a flight

I have a feeling they won't replace the engine
And even if they do
I can't wait weeks while they do it
Its already spent enough time in the shop, and we aren't settling for anything less than a trade-assist.

Evilclown
07-13-2003, 09:09 PM
They'll fix the car under warranty, but that's where their obligation ends.

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 09:11 PM
One way or the other I am done with this car

If I have to file suit I will

I dont' expect to be paid for my time
However I shouldn't have to pay for a POS, when they won't even give me a loaner car
And even if they did
I'm not paying 400/month for a fvcking 93 golf with 120k on the odo

Evilclown
07-13-2003, 09:17 PM
Granted, it would be a nice gesture to work with you on buying the car back, or putting you in a new one. I'm also not saying that you shouldn't pursue it as much as you can. All I'm saying is, don't expect them to roll over for you. They'll do everything they can to get by with the bare minimum. Have you had a lot of problems with it before?

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 09:23 PM
in the dealer's hands since christmas

and now the dealer really screwed the pooch by not replacing my oil pump and causing that much potential damage

Bollinger
07-13-2003, 10:55 PM
Get off the entitlement wagon.

Bollinger
07-13-2003, 10:59 PM
You can't just say that now this is it and claim all the retroactive problems. You have to give the dealer a "last chance", etc.

After 3 years, no lemon law is going to help you.

And since you're past your warranty, you're entirely at the mercy of them and how much they want you as a customer.

You are making a huge mistake going straight for AoA. First of all, if the dealer makes a mistake, often the dealer has to pay for the engine and AoA isn't even involved. Second of all, it is going to make you look like a demanding ass. This is something you will have to work to overcome.

Although I don't wish car trouble on anyone, I would never ever want to be in the car business in the US.

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Reread my posts

Bollinger
07-13-2003, 11:09 PM
years or miles whichever came first.

All I know is what you post. You said you were out of your warranty. If it isn't the case you've mislead us badly.<ul><li><a href="http://forums.audiworld.com/other/msgs/1359008.phtml">http://forums.audiworld.com/other/msgs/1359008.phtml</a</li></ul>

Bollinger
07-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Southwest airlines has an explicit policy that the customer isn't always right. Some customers are just more trouble than the money you get from them.

Maybe Audi will see the light and see that they stand to benefit by getting you over to a new brand as soon as possible so you can start bitching about that one instead.

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 11:16 PM
I will still stick around OT

I love my car
I have a severe distaste in my mouth from AoA

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 11:18 PM
NJ lemon law is at 18k/2 years (whichever is less)"

How the hell is that misleading?

I have 37k miles
Car is 25 months old (give or take a few days)
NJ lemon law is 18k 2 years (whichever is sooner)

How did I mislead everyone so badly again?

Bollinger
07-13-2003, 11:21 PM
I forget the Audi warranties switched over to 4 years/48K. Mine is 3.5 years old and the warrany was 36K/3 years.

I saw "out of the mileage" and a number over 36,000miles and assumed you meant the warranty.

My mistake.

I still think you'll end up with a new engine and not a buyback. But since this is a dealer labor error that leads to it, it'll probably be the dealer eating it and thus the dealer may think differently. They may rather buy the car back, put and engine in and sell it in order to get you in the market for a new Audi sooner (presumably from them).

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 11:23 PM
I was confused for a sec too
Even posted under the wrong thread

But I'd definitely be willing to get into another audi
Im just going to chalk this up to a bad car (coilpacks, wheels, oil pump)

So it would be better to speak to the Dealer that didn't replace the oil pump than to go through AoA?
Guess I will try them first
Thanks.

Bollinger
07-13-2003, 11:30 PM
The dealer is likely going to be the one to pay for this error, so going over their head is not only non-productive, but my actually piss them off.

So I'd be working with the dealer. Get a specific person to deal with and call them daily to keep on it until something happens.

I'd also work with AoA because they are very concerned about customer satisfaction with dealers lately and they may actually act on your side to get what you want.

Work with both, but know that the dealer is probably going to be footing the bill and thus making the final call.

Then again, I could be wrong.

Monster, now w/ Rice
07-13-2003, 11:43 PM
But still..that many miles with a oil starved engine sure as hell wasn't good
Im sure they will fight tooth and nail
Lucky for me I enjoy to argue