View Full Version : Cost of Audi Connect

Dramsey
11-17-2012, 07:30 AM
I'm looking at buying a 2013 A6 and have a question about the Audi Connect service.

I understand that the card has a SIM card and that it connects to cellular service (I think T Mobile) to provide the Google Earth nav images, WiFi hot spot, and such.

What I'm not clear on is the cost of this service, which isn't mentioned in the brochure or on Audi's web site as far as I can tell.

The salesman said it was "$450 for three years" and that that included 2GB of data per month, and that Google Earth images didn't count against that limit. However, he seemed less than confident about this information.

Does this sound correct? What are you guys paying?

manishaudi
11-17-2012, 09:31 AM
That "$450" option he is offering you is only available when you initially get your car.

What he is saying about the data limits doesn't sound familiar to me.

When I got my car it was an unlimited plan @ $30/month

Here are the pricing plans:
1) Monthly Recurring ($30/Month)
2) 1 Year Pre-Paid - $324 ($27/Month)
3) 2 Year Pre-Paid - $600 ($25/Month)

looking@audi
11-17-2012, 10:03 AM
I wonder what percentage of Audi owners continue with service after trial period ends?

I won't.

HyperS4
11-17-2012, 11:17 AM
To be honest, we at the dealership dont know exactly how much data is available but the assumption would be unlimited.

DER KONIG PANZER
11-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Is the $450 really for 3 years? So a total of 3.5 years from he date of purchase. does it include the free 6 montes? I would like to know, because my car is due in Jan. I think it sounds great $12.50 a month.

HyperS4
11-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Is the $450 really for 3 years? So a total of 3.5 years from he date of purchase. does it include the free 6 montes? I would like to know, because my car is due in Jan. I think it sounds great $12.50 a month.

No, its the 6 months + 30 months for a total of 36 months at $450.

manishaudi
11-17-2012, 01:18 PM
No, its the 6 months + 30 months for a total of 36 months at $450.

They never offered this when I picked up my car last year (along with the traffic)...would've been nice

can't complain though, the pre-paid sim is working out great for me. The only thing I don't use is the Google Earth. Everything else uses a minuscule amount of data. Have only used about 3 MB in 6 months

HyperS4
11-17-2012, 01:19 PM
This wasn't offered last year. Just started about a month ago.

Dramsey
11-17-2012, 02:21 PM
That "$450" option he is offering you is only available when you initially get your car.

What he is saying about the data limits doesn't sound familiar to me.

When I got my car it was an unlimited plan @ $30/month

Here are the pricing plans:
1) Monthly Recurring ($30/Month)
2) 1 Year Pre-Paid - $324 ($27/Month)
3) 2 Year Pre-Paid - $600 ($25/Month)

Interesting. Can I (for example) let the 6 month trial expire, and then renew it for a month to take a road trip?

Ltdplus9
11-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Is everyone eligible for the 30 months at $15 a month? I bought my A6 used and haven't done anything with Audi Connect yet - but I want to.

s5blitzer
11-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Is everyone eligible for the 30 months at $15 a month? I bought my A6 used and haven't done anything with Audi Connect yet - but I want to.

Only offered at time of sale.

Dr.Aronis
11-17-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm on the trial and wondered why we are stuck with Tmobile.

Here when I speed tested in an area with 5 bars 3G then ping was 302 ms, download rate 0.16 Mps and upload 0.08 Mps. Completely useless for any device!

So is the trial period somehow watered down?

If that's the speed I will not be buying that service.

Mike

Scotch A6
11-17-2012, 05:17 PM

It is only for new car and you need to sign up with in a week of purchasing the car. After week you can't get 3yrs for $450.

I purchased it and I am loving it.

snagitseven
11-17-2012, 06:33 PM
This wasn't offered last year. Just started about a month ago.

Not quite. It was available at least before July when I my 2013 was delivered and I took advantage of the offer.

My understanding is the subscription is for unlimited data.

manishaudi
11-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Interesting. Can I (for example) let the 6 month trial expire, and then renew it for a month to take a road trip?

Yes, you can do that

weth
11-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Here is my experience.

The service does seem unlimited, but does seem to be throttled quite severely after using 1GB.

I am currently using t-mobile prepaid at $25/month for 1.5 GB. The new service called Ultra.me looks to have a pay as you go plan that can bring monthly cost down to $8.33. The pay as you go is not available yet, but should be by end it the month.

You can use AT&T SIM, but will be limited to 2G edge speeds, but that really is not much slower than the throttled speeds.

bobinwa
11-18-2012, 08:04 PM
I got the 3 yr for $450 at purchase which I understood to be 1/2 price of normal charge. I don't know how much data we use, but it's nice for my wife to use her iPad with the wifi on road trips. Not sure if I'll renew in 3yrs but enjoying it now.

Rush2112
11-19-2012, 02:14 AM
It's not offered at the dealership.. you have to contact MyAudi about it. Even when I contacted them about it, the salesrep didn't know what I was talking about. She had to call t-mobile to find out about it.

It's for 2.5 years and starts AFTER your 6 month trail, so you get 3 years @$450 or $15 a month.

The only other catch is, you have to do this within 7 days of taking ownership of your new car.

Grapeking
11-19-2012, 03:20 AM
Can those of you xperienced with Audi Connect please provide a full list of what the option provides for the monthly fee? Ii see the Google Earth, and the wifi, what else?
Thanks,

snagitseven
11-19-2012, 04:10 AM
Can those of you xperienced with Audi Connect please provide a full list of what the option provides for the monthly fee? Ii see the Google Earth, and the wifi, what else?
Thanks,

- Google Earth map overlays
- WiFi in car for up to 5 devices
- Google live Online Destination search integrated in car Standard and Google Earth maps (in addition to fixed, limited POIs preloaded on car with Standard map)
- Send destinations to car from Google Maps on the web and manage these from myAudi website
- Live Weather, Gas Prices, Travel Info and News
- Google Street View
- All data is in 3G where available

Note: live Traffic map overlays do not come from Audiconnect/T-Mobile but come from Sirius and are included with 3 month Sirius trial subscription (4 years traffic is included free on select 2013 Audi models with Nav+; i.e. A6. Sirius Radio requires paid subscription after free trial).

Rush2112
11-19-2012, 04:37 AM
- Google Earth map overlays
- WiFi in car for up to 5 devices
- Google live Online Destination search integrated in car Standard and Google Earth maps (in addition to fixed, limited POIs preloaded on car with Standard map)
- Send destinations to car from Google Maps on the web and manage these from myAudi website
- Live Weather, Gas Prices, Travel Info and News
- Google Street View
- All data is in 3G where available

Note: live Traffic map overlays do not come from Audiconnect/T-Mobile but come from Sirius and are included with 3 month Sirius trial subscription (4 years traffic is included free on select 2013 Audi models with Nav+; i.e. A6. Sirius Radio requires paid subscription after free trial).

I think Snagit has this copied somewhere and just pastes it every time this question comes up :) (good job)

scottphillip
11-19-2012, 04:46 AM
I didn't continue my service. I do miss it, but I don't travel much. There are threads on using a pre-paid SIM card from another provider. It's much cheaper, depending on your data needs.

Grapeking
11-19-2012, 05:29 AM
Perfect summary, many thanks. Still learning the features/benefits on this car.

Gator Neil
11-19-2012, 05:28 PM
bought mine exactly a month ago, was never offered

snagitseven
11-19-2012, 05:33 PM
I think Snagit has this copied somewhere and just pastes it every time this question comes up :) (good job)

Nope. Typed it up. Good idea, though.

AcuraUpToAudi
11-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Hi guys! (My first post here on AudiWorld) I just purchased my 2013 A6 Prestige today and also included the Audi Connect discount plan for $450. Without your earlier posts I wouldn't have known about it, so I thank you all. The salesperson told me it was introduced less than a month ago.

snagitseven
11-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Hi guys! (My first post here on AudiWorld) I just purchased my 2013 A6 Prestige today and also included the Audi Connect discount plan for $450. Without your earlier posts I wouldn't have known about it, so I thank you all. The salesperson told me it was introduced less than a month ago.

Welcome to the club

I got the deal in July.. Decent offer.

Interex
11-21-2012, 05:12 AM
So, just to confirm, there is no subscription requirement with Audi to use Audi connect? All it takes is a GSM (T-Mobile or AT&T) data enabled SIM card, correct?

spoon2000
11-21-2012, 05:18 AM

Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to AW!

Interesting to hear that it's only been out a month -- interesting that it's half way between the pay-per-moth price of $30 and $0, which is probably what most owners (or at least more than Audi and T-Mobile hoped for) are paying if the reports on AW are an accurate indication of owner behavior.

snagitseven
11-21-2012, 06:35 AM
So, just to confirm, there is no subscription requirement with Audi to use Audi connect? All it takes is a GSM (T-Mobile or AT&T) data enabled SIM card, correct?

With the major providers like T-Mobile or AT&T, you can pay for a month at a time. T-Mobile data will be unlimited by month and AT&T will be for specified data qtys by month. Or you could use a third party Sim card and account like TruSim which charge by the kb from your preloaded payments. Note that an AT&T Sim will only give you 2G speeds. Any T-Mobile based provider will be 3G (where available). Different 3G systems.

Be aware if you plan on using lots of Google Earth map data and in car wifi, the costs can quickly get pretty steep with the data based plans. If so, T-Mobile usually will be less expensive, even at $30 per month. If you plan on using only the other Google services of AudiConnect like Google Search, the pay-for-what you-use plans will almost always be less expensive.

Interex
11-21-2012, 06:48 AM
With the major providers like T-Mobile or AT&T, you can pay for a month at a time. T-Mobile data will be unlimited by month and AT&T will be for specified data qtys by month. Or you could use a third party Sim card and account like TruSim which charge by the kb from your preloaded payments. Note that an AT&T Sim will only give you 2G speeds. Any T-Mobile based provider will be 3G (where available). Different 3G systems.

Be aware if you plan on using lots of Google Earth map data and in car wifi, the costs can quickly get pretty steep with the data based plans. If so, T-Mobile usually will be less expensive, even at $30 per month. If you plan on using only the other Google services of AudiConnect like Google Search, the pay-for-what you-use plans will almost always be less expensive.
Great, thanks for all the info!

AudiA4B6US
11-21-2012, 07:45 AM
I tried my AT&T iPad SIM (with an adapter) and found the 2G download speed for Google Earth to be acceptable. I don't use in-car WiFi (iphone and iPad have their own data) and adding another $10 to the mobile share family plan made more sense than $30 with t-mobile. I only get 2G but AT&T converage is usualy better where I go.

I wish that Audi would apply Vorsprung durch Technik to more than just a slogan and make the GSM module modular and replacable so that it one could pick their preferred provider and speed, just like XM and Sirius were before the merger and before Audi decided to only provide Sirius radios. Or even better, offer a tethering option like other manufacturers do so that the car could connect to the mobile phone or a MiFi type device.

MileHighJC
11-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Or even better, offer a tethering option like other manufacturers do so that the car could connect to the mobile phone or a MiFi type device.

I really wish for this as well.

I would also be happy with a prepaid SIM with no expiration that would allow me to use POIs most of the time, and an occasional use of the Google Earth - although I think that is pretty much the TruPhone implementation (Im not sure about the expiration).

There is no way Im willing to pay $30/month for the T-mobile plan for all the more I drive this car (4 months, less thank 5K miles, mostly around home)

spoon2000
11-21-2012, 08:24 AM
I really wish for this as well.

I would also be happy with a prepaid SIM with no expiration that would allow me to use POIs most of the time, and an occasional use of the Google Earth - although I think that is pretty much the TruPhone implementation (Im not sure about the expiration).

There is no way Im willing to pay $30/month for the T-mobile plan for all the more I drive this car (4 months, less thank 5K miles, mostly around home)

Just out of curiosity, has anybody thought of using the Audi WiFi as their home ISP? It would require finding some way to keep the battery charged while the car was in the garage and providing WiFi to the devices in the house, but it would be cheaper than paying for both home and car Internet connectivity.

Overall, I think Audi and T-Mobile mis-judged the appeal of $30/month mobile WiFi.

Another question: is it possible to move an unlimited access T-Mobile SIM from car to car to do map updates?

das2.7t
11-25-2012, 05:53 AM
I'm on the trial and wondered why we are stuck with Tmobile.

Here when I speed tested in an area with 5 bars 3G then ping was 302 ms, download rate 0.16 Mps and upload 0.08 Mps. Completely useless for any device!

So is the trial period somehow watered down?

If that's the speed I will not be buying that service.

Mike

That's horrible performance. After my 6 month trial ended, I added an extra AT&T data sim to my family account and am using that. The car will only recognize it as 2G but I get 20ms pings, and ~0.3 down/0.2up since it is using the old Cingular EDGE network. It's slow but bulletproof, coverage is impeccable and it only costs $9.99 per month.

MorganB
11-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. I was able to get the 450$ package from my dealership. They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for the 30+ 6 month promo. I called audiconnect and spoke with t-mobile who then called my sales associate and explained the process of selling the promo. I would have never gotten the promo without this forum!

Ltdplus9
11-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. I was able to get the 450$ package from my dealership.

Was this with a new Audi purchase or a pre-owned?

snagitseven
11-25-2012, 06:06 PM

New and available only at time of delivery or within 7 days thereafter. Amazing that many dealers don't have a clue that it's even available. Well, maybe not so amazing.

MorganB
11-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Yes new only. First 7 days of ownership. I bought my A6 new last Tuesday.