View Full Version : Obsolete Nav maps taken a small step farther...

Pages : [1] 2

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Here is an exchange between myself and NAVTEC peeps...who seem to want to help but either cannot or don't know how to help. I'm not sure which...or if either is accurate. I do know that NAVTEC seems to be pointing the finger at AUDI in one email but cannot provide info to substantiate in another. This whole scenario is F'ed up, IMO. Being that I'm engaged in animal rescue over a large area of the Mid-Atlantic USA I need accurate maps and I find it frustrating that I can't count on my AUDI NAV to get me where I need to be. I won't make this mistake twice.

The exchanges:
ME:
Device: Audi Q5 MMI OEM Navigation
Comments: My 2010 Audi Q5 maps are indeed very dated. Maps that are out-dated are not only inconvenient but they can be dangerous to those that rely on accurate direction. When can I expect an update for my obsolete maps as I'm tired of having to carry my Garmin system with me on long trips to fill in the holes left by my VERY expensive Audi system.
Regards,
HBWT

THEM:
1st response from Allison L" <nabc_english@navteq.com
Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. Your 2010 Audi Q5 came equipped with the newest maps currently available. At this time, the release date of the next update has not been officially announced. If you would like to be notified when new releases or special promotions become available, please register with us at www.navteq.com/registration.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

ME:
Hi Allison L.
This reply mirrors one that was given to a fellow AudiWorld forum member a few months ago. Damn disappointing given the Q5 came out in 2009 and there's been no update.
You say,
"Generally updates are released every 12-18 months."
I bought my 2010 Q5 in October '09. It was built in August '09. In one month it will be 2 years. From what I have learned there has NEVER been an update going back the the introduction of the Q5. If I'm correct, that would be a little over 3 years. This seems irresponsible on your part as well as Audi.
You say, "At this time, the release date of the next update has not been officially announced."
How can there be a next update when there has never been any update?

THEM:
2nd response from June V:
Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. I apologize that there has not been an update for your vehicle. Again updates are usually released every 12 to 18 months and are supplied to us by the manufactures. We do not know when the updates are coming out until the manufactures let us know a release date. Here at NAVTEQ we supply the manufactures with the raw map data and then the manufactures put the update together. Also the navigation systems themselves are supplied by third party suppliers.

ME:
This brings up another question then. When did you last supply Audi with any "raw map data?". This info would likely be the best indicator as to when the update will come out.

THEM:
3rd respnse from June V:
Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. I do apologize but I actually do not have that information. As stated earlier we won't find out when an update will be released until it is actually released.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

SUX...

I suppose I'll be on the phone with AOA next(when I get the time)...probably to no avail.

BayGBM
07-13-2011, 01:42 PM
I was leaning in this direction anyway, but your experience above has convinced me that the Nav map business is not an option worth paying for. My phone has google maps as does my iPad.

billypete
07-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Go for a $100 TomTom and save yourself some stress. Audi will come around someday...

tridentnyc
07-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks Bulldog. I too find it unbelievable that there is no update available and the passing of the buck on this is very frustrating. I think the calls need to go out to AoA and we need to start turning up the heat on them to get with it.

I am picking up my brand spanking new 2012 Q5 in less than a month. I am fully prepared to see it loaded with three year old maps. Although I'm prepared for it, it is still gonna really piss me off just the same. Sickening when you pay $3k for a nav unit with three year old maps.

TIME89
07-13-2011, 02:59 PM
I think the calls need to go out to AoA and we need to start turning up the heat on them to get with it.

Agreed. Look what happen to Netflix. 36000 replay in 24 hr. Sure, we not get 36000 vote, but if we get 3600 - it will be something.

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Agreed. Look what happen to Netflix. 36000 replay in 24 hr. Sure, we not get 36000 vote, but if we get 3600 - it will be something.Been real busy at work lately but I'll try to call tomorrow. I may even write a letter. Not sure to who but someone should get some written correspondence.

manup
07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
I was leaning in this direction anyway, but your experience above has convinced me that the Nav map business is not an option worth paying for. My phone has google maps as does my iPad.

+1, Google Maps and Navigation on my Smartphone works exceptionally well.

JohnBoyToo
07-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Yes, our tablets, either of our phones, and our two garmins do well...

but all total they all cost me about a third of the nav sys...

I too spoke with Audi of America today and they tried the same gambit on me... then I reminded them that they had already told me that and gave me a case number for reimbursement to go buy an update.

I wondered why they gave me that so quickly - now I know... because there is no update available to buy !

I suggested they speak to their higher ups as I've seen class action suits over less than this.

but of course I did it nicely since the phone unit has very little influence!

UrbanExtant
07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Been real busy at work lately but I'll try to call tomorrow. I may even write a letter. Not sure to who but someone should get some written correspondence.

I'd address the letter to Johan de Nysschen, president of Audi of America. I'm sure he won't be the one to read it, but one of his minions will get it right away, and hopefully get something going on it. While we've never had an issue with the out-of-date maps, I agree they should be updated, and it seems the only way to get that done is for many people to clamor about it.

geronimosan
07-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I had asked my salesperson a couple months ago about nav map updates, and she told me that map data was updated via satellite, and that it was only the Nav system software that required CD/DVD manual updates.

I asked her again today after seeing this thread, and this is what she said:

"There is no map disc for a Q5. It's all satelitte driven. I have never not had a road that is a real state/county/city road or street not show up on a map in a 2009 or newer Audi. There are 12 satelittes that feed the navigation."

and then in a follow-up:

"I was right. It's software that can be updated by Audi but that only changes functions. The maps are updated by satelitte and you have to do nothing to get that."

I asked if there was any documentation, or a website, that she could point me to so I could read up on it all in detail. Will update when I get a response.

abacon09
07-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Been real busy at work lately but I'll try to call tomorrow. I may even write a letter. Not sure to who but someone should get some written correspondence.

I just put in a call with AOA concerning this issue. I figure if enough of us keep pushing this issue then maybe, just maybe someday something will happen.

AudiA4B6US
07-13-2011, 04:49 PM
This is funny, especially since Audi customer service several times insisted that Navteq is the company that provides maps and software and that there is nothing they (Audi) can do to fix the "no letters in house numbers" bug or outdated map data. They (Audi and Navteq) should get their story straight...

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-13-2011, 07:24 PM
"I was right. It's software that can be updated by Audi but that only changes functions. The maps are updated by satelitte and you have to do nothing to get that."
I wish this were true. Unfortunately, your salesman's comments fly in the face of what many others have reported. Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of this...sometime soon.

Johnny.B.Good
07-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of this...sometime soon.

Subscribed.

Expect to take delivery of my first Audi in September (with navigation), and am sorry to see how frustrated some of you are with outdated map information. I can't imagine failing to put an update together for three years (or more). Isn't it someone's job (at Audi or "Navteq" or whatever) to keep the system up to date? What does he do all day? Get it together!

If I can lend a hand with a vote of support or sharply worded letter, let me know!

der Scherzkeks
07-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Map data / POIs are updated at the factory at every model year change; although MY2009 and MY2010 had the same data-level. However, there is not yet a process for updating customer vehicles at the moment. Bummer.

Reggie
07-14-2011, 07:26 AM
I am on a list of people who input Navteq and recently did a survey about updating the system via the dealer or by owner and the costs. It appears they have not made up their mind yet.

So other things that others have commented on that I find interesting are the lack of state borders and the lines drawn for time zones.

aleck
07-14-2011, 07:52 AM
The new Q3 comes with the next generation mmi, which means it has the goole search for the navigation. But Audi said the hardware inside the Q3 is still the current generation mmi, they just modify the software looks like the next generation. I think they can do the same thing for our Q5, adding the google map seems a good idea.

TIME89
07-14-2011, 07:59 AM
I had asked my salesperson a couple months ago about nav map updates, and she told me that map data was updated via satellite, and that it was only the Nav system software that required CD/DVD manual updates.

I asked her again today after seeing this thread, and this is what she said:

"There is no map disc for a Q5. It's all satelitte driven. I have never not had a road that is a real state/county/city road or street not show up on a map in a 2009 or newer Audi. There are 12 satelittes that feed the navigation."

and then in a follow-up:

I asked if there was any documentation, or a website, that she could point me to so I could read up on it all in detail. Will update when I get a response.
geronimosan,
sorry, don't take this personal - but I think person, who told you this don't know s@#$ about satelittes navigation).
12 satelittes is used to triangulate your location, and not to download software to your car. Is is first time I herd such BS from dealer.
Let me give you example: we all have PC, and every Tuesday, when Microsoft release new patches, you get this patches to connecting to Microsoft Update web site - none beam you this updates from satellite.
Same with our navigation. Map on car hard drive stored is specific files. This files need to be patched, after this MMI system need reboot. Unfortunately, with latest Navigation on Hard drives, you must bring your car to dealer to maker this updates. For my other car, every time I "purchase" DVD with new map - it's take about 10 min and then iDrive get re-boot and you good to go ;)

BayGBM
07-14-2011, 10:03 AM
+1, Google Maps and Navigation on my Smartphone works exceptionally well.

Why can't Audi give us the option to use Google maps (which I love) on the nav system? In an age when so much can be shared via the Internet, downloaded to our cell phones and iPads why can't Audi update their maps data twice or thrice a year and give us a choice of map interfaces? At the very least bringing the car to a dealership for a map upgrade should be an option.

geronimosan
07-14-2011, 10:42 AM
geronimosan,
sorry, don't take this personal - but I think person, who told you this don't know s@#$ about satelittes navigation).
12 satelittes is used to triangulate your location, and not to download software to your car. Is is first time I herd such BS from dealer.
Let me give you example: we all have PC, and every Tuesday, when Microsoft release new patches, you get this patches to connecting to Microsoft Update web site - none beam you this updates from satellite.
Same with our navigation. Map on car hard drive stored is specific files. This files need to be patched, after this MMI system need reboot. Unfortunately, with latest Navigation on Hard drives, you must bring your car to dealer to maker this updates. For my other car, every time I "purchase" DVD with new map - it's take about 10 min and then iDrive get re-boot and you good to go ;)

Not taken personally in the least. I'm just passing along the info from the mouths of my dealership - not saying I agreed with said info (which I why I followed up to ask if there was detailed documentation we could view).

bayridgeguy
07-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Why can't Audi give us the option to use Google maps (which I love) on the nav system? In an age when so much can be shared via the Internet, downloaded to our cell phones and iPads why can't Audi update their maps data twice or thrice a year and give us a choice of map interfaces? At the very least bringing the car to a dealership for a map upgrade should be an option.

This is already implemented on the A6 and A7 I believe. :)

TIME89
07-14-2011, 02:17 PM
This is already implemented on the A6 and A7 I believe. :)

Yes, but you have to pay for this $30/mo,
where is in BMW it's use data plan from your phone.

hmn4858
07-14-2011, 04:30 PM
geronimosan,

You'd have a hard time trying to triangulate your position with a satelittle... A satellite on the other hand Only requires three for positioning but four or more is ideal for accuracy. I wouldn't say updates via satellite are as much of a stretch as you think. People in rural areas use satellites for their Internet connection vs DSL/Cable etc. Also, how do you think real time traffic works?

TIME89
07-15-2011, 07:43 AM
You'd have a hard time trying to triangulate your position with a satelittle... A satellite on the other hand Only requires three for positioning but four or more is ideal for accuracy. I wouldn't say updates via satellite are as much of a stretch as you think. People in rural areas use satellites for their Internet connection vs DSL/Cable etc. Also, how do you think real time traffic works?

Real time traffic works exactly as you describe.
Just don't tell me that amount of data for traffic is the same as update Navigation (> 6 Gb)

gat821
07-15-2011, 09:32 AM
People in rural areas use satellites for their Internet connection vs DSL/Cable etc.

I knew I should have ticked off that satellite dish option on the order sheet :)

hmn4858
07-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Real time traffic works exactly as you describe.
Just don't tell me that amount of data for traffic is the same as update Navigation (> 6 Gb)

Never said anything of the sort but just pointing out the capability is there albeit very slow. ;)

I believe currently, the fastest commercial speed is around 10 mbps but not a stretch to think in the future updates would be via satellite.

TIME89
07-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Never said anything of the sort but just pointing out the capability is there albeit very slow. ;)

I believe currently, the fastest commercial speed is around 10 mbps but not a stretch to think in the future updates would be via satellite.

There no other way to update Hard Drive based navigation in latest cars as to bring car to dealership, connect to dealer computer and run update software, that probably in process update map files and POI's. With DVD based navigation is totally different story. You get disk - popup in DVD reader - you done.

gat821
07-16-2011, 04:32 AM
There no other way to update Hard Drive based navigation in latest cars as to bring car to dealership, connect to dealer computer and run update software, that probably in process update map files and POI's. With DVD based navigation is totally different story. You get disk - popup in DVD reader - you done.

Interestingly, in Nav/Setup/Settings, there is Customer Update option, then within that, it asks for where the update could come from - CD/DVD, USB, SD 1, SD 2.

You would think that Navteq could supply a disc with just the updated map data and POI, without Audi having to do any other software updates on their side (how the map data is drawn, presented - though it is possible any updated map data may contain new POI types that the software wouldn't know how to present, but heck, part of the data could be new icons too!). But then again, that would be too simple and so probably is not the way it is :)

TIME89
07-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Interestingly, in Nav/Setup/Settings, there is Customer Update option, then within that, it asks for where the update could come from - CD/DVD, USB, SD 1, SD 2.

You would think that Navteq could supply a disc with just the updated map data and POI, without Audi having to do any other software updates on their side (how the map data is drawn, presented - though it is possible any updated map data may contain new POI types that the software wouldn't know how to present, but heck, part of the data could be new icons too!). But then again, that would be too simple and so probably is not the way it is :)
This morning, when I re-read my post and your replay - I have to admit, that I miss major point in my post. There was a rumors on BMW board that new updates can came in a DVD disk. Make sense.
New cars has very sophisticated computers on-board. To upgrade this computers or one specific application (Navigation) you need update software installed on other computer (via cable) or direct update via media - and in Q case - t can be DVD (just because Navigation files to big to hold on CD), SD card or USB2 port for external HD.
Last week I was attended some classes - all information about class, labs, student reading materials, was on USB drive. No more printing book - electronic pdf file. I can see updates can be send out on USB (4,6 or 8 Gb) tomb drives. It cost way less (probably, not sure here) then burn master gold DVD, make a mold and then stamp thousands DVDs. Regarding updates can not only updates Navigation and MMI - don't know, but if you look at Microsoft and their update process - You can choose one specific update or select all and let installation program take care of this.

But I miss another major point. To do this - car manufacture (Audi), need to request navigation software manufacture to make updates and pay them for their work. I don't think this happen yet.

Stuttgartrob
07-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Yes, but you have to pay for this $30/mo,
where is in BMW it's use data plan from your phone.

I was looking through the new German Price guide and there is a data plan option that wasn't in the old guide. It uses the Google Earth pictures for the MMI Navigation and makes the car a WLAN hotspot. So I guess you could see this option in the future Q5's for the states.

hmn4858
07-16-2011, 09:32 AM

I wasn't speaking of our particular vehicles but in a future vehicle it's more than feasible to have it update via satellite. At that point, I would think it would be a more granular update. If I live on the east coast and have never traveled to Oregon, do I really need the nav updates for that area? I could see if you drive out of your area it prompting you if you would like to update the area you have traveled into.

TIME89
07-16-2011, 09:59 AM
I wasn't speaking of our particular vehicles but in a future vehicle it's more than feasible to have it update via satellite. At that point, I would think it would be a more granular update. If I live on the east coast and have never traveled to Oregon, do I really need the nav updates for that area? I could see if you drive out of your area it prompting you if you would like to update the area you have traveled into.

I can see you point. But leaving in US for 22 yr and see how thing get screwed more and more with stupid regulation and nonsense law - I do not see this happen.
Personal example - my 2006 BMW can open and close windows and sunroof via remote control. Very handy if you get to the car that was under sun for long time. You walk away from the car and realize you forgot to close one of the windows or sunroof. In 2007 they remove this feature "Do to safety concern".
Now, in case for your home computer get latest updates from Macintosh or Microsoft - you need a) computer must turn on and b) some network connection need to be establish between your computer and software manufactures. Your car must be turn on to start getting updates. What if you driving at that moment?
I understood they can program updates, that they only happen when car on "P".
And another thing, let's say your car is "On" and on "P", and network between car and Audi HD established, that download speed must be a very good, to update 4 to 6GB maps files. What if of the middle of transaction communication is lost. Software should be smart enough to roll back all changes, but what if not ....
See, Audi will not be risk their reputation and get sue by american lawyers.

TIME89
07-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Latest stupid thing I herd - because BMW sport suspension can't hold terrible condition of US roads (they should check Russian roads), BMW stop import cars with sport suspension to US - f$%^ absurd.

gat821
07-16-2011, 10:19 AM

One thought on this is that the frequency of updates would have to be often enough that Navteq and other map data suppliers and car manufacturers would invest in the hardware/software to make this possible. Right now, that's obviously not the case. On location specific data - storage is cheap, and so we get all of the continental US (I think, haven't tried to see if Hawaii is in our map database).

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-16-2011, 05:27 PM
I spoke with AOA on Thursday about my concerns. I forwarded the emails from NAVTEQ to the AOA Rep(Angel). She took notes and said that she'd call me back when she had more information. On Friday around 5:00pm she called to tell me that it was up to NAVTEQ to come out with the updates and it's not up to Audi to initiate them. Once the update is available, it's up to the owner to make arrangements with their respective dealer to have the installation done.
She added that when NAVTEQ comes out with the update that it will be posted on the site...see link. Overall, the conversaions with the AOA rep were pleasant but not what I wanted to hear. NAVTEQ says it's up to Audi. Audi says it's the other way around. After speaking with and corresponding with both, I'm convinced that Audi is the one being truthful. However, If I was Audi, I'd be putting the squeeze on NAVTEQ to get the F-ING updates out. Customers are getting PISSED. Anyway, that's all I could find out and I'm just going to sit tight and hope someone will get off their fatazz and create a fuggin update!!!
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-AudiNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CategoryDomainName=Navteq-AudiCatalog&CategoryName=AudiCatalog

James P.
07-16-2011, 06:14 PM
I just took a quick look at the Navteq site and they don't have updates for any of the latest Audi models: A4 / A5 / A6 / A8 / Q7. Basically, it looks like 2009 was the last time updates were available which is crazy. I imagine this is because all of the cars above have basically the same nav system these days... My wifes 2012 Q5 arrives this week and I'm really curious to see what version of maps it comes with.

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-16-2011, 06:30 PM
I just took a quick look at the Navteq site and they don't have updates for any of the latest Audi models: A4 / A5 / A6 / A8 / Q7. Basically, it looks like 2009 was the last time updates were available which is crazy. I imagine this is because all of the cars above have basically the same nav system these days... My wifes 2012 Q5 arrives this week and I'm really curious to see what version of maps it comes with.Yep...latest updates are 2010...models A3, R8, TT...lowest volume sellers.

der Scherzkeks
07-17-2011, 02:27 PM
The new Q3 comes with the next generation mmi, which means it has the goole search for the navigation. But Audi said the hardware inside the Q3 is still the current generation mmi, they just modify the software looks like the next generation. I think they can do the same thing for our Q5, adding the google map seems a good idea.

It's more than just software, as the maps are downloaded "live" from Google. This means a network connection. You would need a new head unit with a SIM card reader and antenna wiring.

geronimosan
07-17-2011, 05:02 PM
In my opinion, I wouldn't spend any more time chatting with NAVTEQ about it. Customers didn't buy a NAVTEQ Navigation system, they bought an Audi Navigation system. Whoever Audi contracts out to shouldn't matter to the customer - it's not the customer's responsibility to do the footwork for Audi to get the maps updated, it's Audi's responsibility.

Keep putting pressure on Audi - it's their car.

TIME89
07-17-2011, 05:13 PM
In my opinion, I wouldn't spend any more time chatting with NAVTEQ about it. Customers didn't buy a NAVTEQ Navigation system, they bought an Audi Navigation system. Whoever Audi contracts out to shouldn't matter to the customer - it's not the customer's responsibility to do the footwork for Audi to get the maps updated, it's Audi's responsibility.

Keep putting pressure on Audi - it's their car.

http://forumkiev.com/images/smilies/drinks.gif

gat821
07-17-2011, 06:07 PM
It's more than just software, as the maps are downloaded "live" from Google. This means a network connection. You would need a new head unit with a SIM card reader and antenna wiring.

Unless it's using your phone's data connection to the web, then Bluetooth to the MMI.

jb2510
07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
My 2012 arrived at dealer on 6/29 and it's old maps. Very disheartening.

geronimosan
07-17-2011, 07:24 PM
My 2012 arrived at dealer on 6/29 and it's old maps. Very disheartening.

How can you tell? Is there a menu option somewhere that tells the date the maps were made?

When I go to pick up my Q5 (hopefully next weekend) I'll add that to the checklist, and point it out to my salesperson.

Canuk1.8T
07-18-2011, 03:44 AM
Hi all,

Interesting thread. I too have been trying to sort out out to get updated. I took delivery just over a year ago and quickly found out the data was already old as my dealer isn't in the list of Audi dealers.

For those who are Canadian reading this thread you will also have noticed that our systems do not say the street name you are to turn on but it will if you are traveling in the US - missing data.

Now, I have just driven my friend's 2011 Q5 and it has my dealer and it will announce the street names in Canada which shows that it has newer data at some level which has me believing they are uploading the latest data to new vehicles but clearly not for older ones.

My guess is Audi is still trying to sort out how to update our vehicles in an efficient way. My dealer has been great in contacting Audi Canada to which they are told they are trying to sort it out.

As for google maps etc, have you all seen the press release on the refreshed A5 that we will be getting in 2013? It has the latest MMI and does include Google Maps. I used this system in the A7 a few weeks back while in the US and I must say it was amazing. Google Maps POI look up was the best as you are not limited to the basic items on the hard drive let alone the amount of data that it downloads - pics of your POI, reviews, detailed info etc.

I'll be sure to post if I find anything else in regards to map updates.

Good luck everyone.

P

geronimosan
07-20-2011, 04:49 PM
After pressing my dealership a bit more, and then calling the Parts department, I finally got the full nav story. It's really just confirmation for my own edification, and summary of what others have already mentioned in this thread.

- '09 Q5's have the older Nav system that updates maps using a DVD. The NavTeq maps/data DVD can ordered through Audi parts dept. It hasn't been updated since '09.

- '10+ Q5's use the newer MMI/Nav system. It's a hard drive and must be updated through the Audi Service Dept. No new updates have been made available to that system since '10, and the Parts dept guy believes it's the same data used from the '09 DVD disc.

- Updates will cost about $200, but again, there are no new updates.

- New Q5's get map data uploaded to the vehicle when the reach the port in the U.S., but the data used, such as for the new '12 Q5's, is still the 3+ year old data.

- There are no known plans for future map data.

This, combined with the back-up camera chip problem, has begun me pushing my dealership for additional compensation. Me paying $3,000 for a luxury option that I in part won't be able to use for 6-9 months (or maybe longer), and in part can use now but with data that is 3+ years old, just isn't acceptable.

I hope everyone begins contacting their dealership and Audi of America for compensation.

AudiA4B6US
07-21-2011, 09:29 AM
All US Q5 have the MMI 3G that uses a hard drive. The MMI 2G was never used in the Q5. Only the early A4 B8 (and older A6/A8) had the MMI 2G.

geronimosan
07-21-2011, 09:41 AM
All US Q5 have the MMI 3G that uses a hard drive. The MMI 2G was never used in the Q5. Only the early A4 B8 (and older A6/A8) had the MMI 2G.

The '09 Q5 requires a DVD update (though none exist), the '10+ Q5's require a visit to the Service Department to directly update the system (though no updates exist) and are unable to update via a DVD disc.

That information is straight from the Audi Service & Parts Department, who does the ordering for these parts. I'll take their word for it.

Though in the end, it doesn't matter, since there aren't any, and haven't been any, updates for the Q5 since the Q5 was first released in the U.S. in '09.

bayridgeguy
07-21-2011, 09:45 AM
The '09 Q5 requires a DVD update

I really doubt this... my MMI has a customer update menu. I really believe it is a USB stick that I have to purchase and update my nav that way... (though this is not yet available, like you said)

TIME89
07-21-2011, 09:54 AM
The more users call AoA and complain (or better write with copy to BBB ;) ) , more they will have to be pressure react.

geronimosan
07-21-2011, 09:59 AM
I really doubt this... my MMI has a customer update menu. I really believe it is a USB stick that I have to purchase and update my nav that way... (though this is not yet available, like you said)

You would need an update menu to update the data via DVD as well.

Doubt me all you want, that's fine. I however decided not to take "internet facts" as truth, and instead called the Parts Department of my local dealership and got the actual facts directly from them. If this issue really bothers you, then you should do the same - call them and find out for yourself.

The more users call AoA and complain (or better write with copy to BBB ;) ) , more they will have to be pressure react.

Exactly. This is the real issue and focus of this thread. It doesn't matter how Q5's get updated - what matters is that they AREN'T being updated.

TIME89
07-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Exactly. This is the real issue and focus of this thread. It doesn't matter how Q5's get updated - what matters is that they AREN'T being updated.

I believe this is not only Q5 issue.....
Ask '09 A4,A6 & Q7 owners - when last time they get upgrade for their navy?

bayridgeguy
07-21-2011, 11:00 AM
You would need an update menu to update the data via DVD as well.

Doubt me all you want, that's fine. I however decided not to take "internet facts" as truth, and instead called the Parts Department of my local dealership and got the actual facts directly from them. If this issue really bothers you, then you should do the same - call them and find out for yourself.

I don't doubt you, I doubt the service department - no need to get offensive. I don't really care about how it is updated either and was just providing my opinion.

bayridgeguy
07-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Looks like things are looking better for the Europeans... Just stumbled upon this link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Audi-MMI-3G-HDD-2010-Navigation-Map-Update-/280572680678

TIME89
07-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Looks like things are looking better for the Europeans... Just stumbled upon this link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Audi-MMI-3G-HDD-2010-Navigation-Map-Update-/280572680678

good find - don't know why it's posted on eBay.
But 219.00 + 6 postage - ouch, by today exchange rate - $366.75
For example - Best 5 GPS Navigation systems (http://reviews.cnet.com/best-gps/) Germin Nuvi 3790T cost only $324

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Looks like things are looking better for the Europeans...Maybe that's a sign of things to come. That BS that Navteq shovels about updating the maps every 12-18 months is such a load of sh!t.

JohnBoyToo
07-22-2011, 05:43 AM
... That BS that Navteq shovels about updating the maps every 12-18 months is such a load of sh!t.

I presume you mean updates for the Q only ?

as I can certainly vouch that Navteq updates regularly for other products as my Garmin(s) can be updated as often as 4 times a year... and are up to date within about 6 months...

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I presume you mean updates for the Q only ?

as I can certainly vouch that Navteq updates regularly for other products as my Garmin(s) can be updated as often as 4 times a year... and are up to date within about 6 months...
There are several Audi models that are currently running maps that are 3 years old. I've never had a problem with updating my Garmin...as you say, about every 6 months or so

hmn4858
07-22-2011, 10:24 AM
You sure you want maps from these people?

From Garmin to BMW... http://www.navteq.com/

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=QIMKCggRArwAAAEONDNtNDzr&ShowAllProducts=YES&PersistNavigationMenu=YES

AudiA4B6US
07-22-2011, 02:24 PM
So far Navteq has released every year an update for the RNS-E. They also have updates for the MMI 2G. It's just the MMI 3G that they don't offers updates for. And I don't think it's their choice but AoA's.

jeffreytoronto1
07-25-2011, 11:20 AM
I also received similar responses from Navtec. I notice they do sell updates for other audi's.

Has anyone ever tried taking one of the update disks and seeing if it will work in a Q5?

Also, what format are the updates? It's just a big database...can't imagine one couldn't take garmin data and convert it to a NAVTEC format?

tosten
07-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Not that this is an excuse, but do you think part of the issue is the 3D map data in the 3G MMI maps? Probably more work to produce than the 2G maps. Again, doesn't excuse them, but might be part of the issue.

JohnBoyToo
07-26-2011, 04:12 AM
3D is not the issue - two of my garmin's have 3d and their maps are released 4 times a year = it's all AUDI .

gat821
07-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Does anyone know if a map version is universal across all Audi models? I ask because I sat inside an A6 playing around with the new MMI (touchpad is great by the way!) and noticed the map version is different than what's on my Q5 currently. My Q5 is on 8R0060884P NAR 5.4.7.

The salesman said that the service department would be responsible for any map updates and at the time I was there, service was already closed. My salesman wasn't aware which version was the newest and whether or not the A6 version would work in a Q5.

You would think that map data should be independent of the software version......

Here's the A6:

geronimosan
07-27-2011, 04:16 PM
That 0409 in your software version could mean something like v4.09, but I would assume it really means April, '09.

eppoh7
07-27-2011, 06:05 PM
I thought the new gen MMI in the A6, A7 & A8 used Google Maps/Earth. Maybe the raw data still comes from NAVTEQ?

bayridgeguy
07-27-2011, 06:31 PM
I thought the new gen MMI in the A6, A7 & A8 used Google Maps/Earth. Maybe the raw data still comes from NAVTEQ?

For sure...i believe that google earth overlays the navteq maps or something along these lines.. this is because google earth requires an internet connection.

gat821
07-27-2011, 06:38 PM
That 0409 in your software version could mean something like v4.09, but I would assume it really means April, '09.

Could be. Though I'm not really interested in software version. I think the fact that the MMI does show separate versions for the software vs the nav/map data means they could be updated independently of each other. The A6 software would have that google map overlay functionality for instance, whereas the Q5 software would not.

TIME89
07-27-2011, 07:11 PM

Probably not.
Software versioning is the process of assigning either unique version names or unique version numbers to unique states of computer software. Within a given version number category (major, minor), these numbers are generally assigned in increasing order and correspond to new developments in the software. At a fine-grained level, revision control is often used for keeping track of incrementally different versions of electronic information, whether or not this information is actually computer software.

4 - major release number
09 - minor release number

tridentnyc
07-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Ok, I have an interesting update to report. As I have mentioned on this forum a few times, I am due to take delivery on my 2012 Q5 on August 8th. I too have been really unhappy over the three year old map issue on my $3000.00 brand spankin' new nav unit.

On Monday night I decided to go to Audiusa.com and send an email stating that I was so displeased with the almost certain fact that my brand new 2012 Q5 would come with three year old maps, that I was considering not taking delivery. I also noted that I was to be a first time Audi owner and so far was unimpressed in this regard.

Tuesday afternoon I received a message on my phone asking me to please call back as they really wanted to discuss this matter in depth with me and to try and make it right. I called back today, Wednesday and had a nice chat with an Audi customer service rep named Erin. I politely told Erin that I felt the situation was unacceptable etc., she said she understood and that Audi was aware of the outdated map situation with the Q5.

Not wanting to lose me as a new customer she offered me a $250 dealership voucher good for anything I'd like but the intention was to pay for the $200 map ugrade when it becomes available plus an extra $50 should the price go up. She said she was 99.99% sure the price would not go up but was giving me $250 just in case.

I thanked her and said I appreciated the gesture and the quick response on AoA's part made me feel better about becoming a prospective Audi owner. I did however say that three year old maps are still unacceptable and that the money wasn't the point. Old maps at best are an inconvenience and at worst can be hazardous and she agreed. She said she was told an update should be available "shortly" but could not give me a time frame.

In the end I'll take the $250 voucher and see what happens. I urge everyone on this thread to call or email her ASAP to strike while the iron is hot. I asked if she was aware of our forum and she said she was not...I think it's time we made AoA aware of ourselves!

I will post her contact details because she seemd eager to help when I mentioned our forum. I hope I am not in violation of any forum rules by doing so and if this post gets edited or deleted at some point, please PM me and I will send her contact info to you.

Here is her info:

Name: Erin (didn't get her last name)
Tel: (877) 615-2834 ext.43343
Hours: 8:00-4:00 pm EST

I got the real impression she cared about the issue and was someone that would certainly push this up the ladder especially if she hears from more than one person. Again, I urge all of you who have commented, complained or just asked questions on this thread to contact her, if not for the $250 voucher, then to hopefully put a fire under AoA's butt to get this totally unacceptable issue put to bed finally.

Hope this helps and hopefully a small groundswell of callers will get things moving!

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-28-2011, 04:01 AM
I've made my call...more than once. And all I got from AUDI was finger pointing to NAVTEQ...not even a $10.00 voucher. Same as Dems. and Repubs. hashing out a budget. Nobody wants to take the blame for not getting anything done. Sad

JohnBoyToo
07-28-2011, 07:58 AM
good try, tri !

I got a case number from AofA that would pay for the update....
only thing is, there is no update available....

we'll see what she means by 'soon' though :)

TIME89
07-28-2011, 08:15 AM
I will post her contact details because she seemd eager to help when I mentioned our forum. I hope I am not in violation of any forum rules by doing so and if this post gets edited or deleted at some point, please PM me and I will send her contact info to you.

First off - congratulation. True all this thread I was encourage drivers to contact Audi and raise their voices.
It was a time, that I post contact info of Gary Warchega (Manager of Audi European Delivery program) - he send me PM and asking to removed his personal information from our web site.
IF Erin will not against this - no problem.

tridentnyc
07-28-2011, 09:04 AM
First off - congratulation. True all this thread I was encourage drivers to contact Audi and raise their voices.
It was a time, that I post contact info of Gary Warchega (Manager of Audi European Delivery program) - he send me PM and asking to removed his personal information from our web site.
IF Erin will not against this - no problem.

Fair enough Time, thank you!

hmn4858
07-28-2011, 04:16 PM
I've made my call...more than once. And all I got from AUDI was finger pointing to NAVTEQ...not even a $10.00 voucher. Same as Dems. and Repubs. hashing out a budget. Nobody wants to take the blame for not getting anything done. Sad

Well.... You did already buy the car and your's really wasn't out of date when you bought it.

tridentnyc
07-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Well.... You did already buy the car and your's really wasn't out of date when you bought it.

Not the point. He wants to update his $3k nav unit and should be able to after two years of owning the vehicle. To not get a straight answer from AoA or from Navteq and to make older as well as newer Audi owners go through this crap is really inexcusable.

I don't give a damn that they offered me a $250 voucher, I plan on hounding these clowns until my brand new 2012 nav unit has brand new maps as well, end of story.

tridentnyc
07-28-2011, 05:56 PM
good try, tri !

I got a case number from AofA that would pay for the update....
only thing is, there is no update available....

we'll see what she means by 'soon' though :)

Good to hear JohnBoyToo! When did you get the case number, how long ago? Also, who did you deal with at AoA? We all need to keep the pressure on! I know I am, $250 voucher in hand or not, I want new maps damnit!

TIME89
07-28-2011, 06:04 PM
I plan on hounding these clowns until my brand new 2012 nav unit has brand new maps as well, end of story.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mMHPZnhg_Sk/ThiMP7P3qGI/AAAAAAAAMH0/CbI6Qg1zltE/s400/clowns.jpg

tridentnyc
07-28-2011, 06:17 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mMHPZnhg_Sk/ThiMP7P3qGI/AAAAAAAAMH0/CbI6Qg1zltE/s400/clowns.jpg

Yep, that looks about right sadly. ;)

hmn4858
07-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Not the point. He wants to update his $3k nav unit and should be able to after two years of owning the vehicle. To not get a straight answer from AoA or from Navteq and to make older as well as newer Audi owners go through this crap is really inexcusable.

I don't give a damn that they offered me a $250 voucher, I plan on hounding these clowns until my brand new 2012 nav unit has brand new maps as well, end of story.

I understand what he wants but to expect them to give him something for free just because he's annoyed is a bit much. His was pretty current when he bought his vehicle. So was mine. I wouldn't expect them to pay for an update for my NAV. BTW the NAV isn't 3K the package is. Would be interesting to see a price breakout of the package.

You have three simple solutions if you're concerned about your NAV being so out of date. Don't buy the car, buy a portable, or use a phone.

TIME89
07-28-2011, 07:05 PM
I understand what he wants but to expect them to give him something for free just because he's annoyed is a bit much. His was pretty current when he bought his vehicle. So was mine. I wouldn't expect them to pay for an update for my NAV. BTW the NAV isn't 3K the package is. Would be interesting to see a price breakout of the package.

You have three simple solutions if you're concerned about your NAV being so out of date. Don't buy the car, buy a portable, or use a phone.

This is always two approaches yours and his - and I liked his. Get annoyed, get laud - get attention, get free staff.

JohnBoyToo
07-29-2011, 04:36 AM

You are correct sir !

Don't buy the car ...
we all make assumptions that what is sold matches the description and function....
In my case I was led to believe my Nav was up to date and assumed it was so, just like I believed it had oil in the engine :)

buy a portable - already have 3 of them, all over 2 years old ...

phones are illegal to use while driving in some states...

So if you ordered a black 2012 Q5 and got a yellow 2011, you would have the same attitude ?

I am just trying to get what I paid for, that's all....:D

Certainly if it was a known fact that the maps were 3 years old that would have been a factor in my negotiation on the final price... just like the all weather maps that I did not pay for and the audi care and the 19" wheel upgrade that I didn't want on the car on the lot....

Stillgoing
07-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Y
we all make assumptions that what is sold matches the description and function....
In my case I was led to believe my Nav was up to date and assumed it was so, just like I believed it had oil in the engine :)

1+ It is not unreasonable to assume that when you buy something with "software", which is what the maps are, it is reasonable up to date or, there is a promise to make it up to date. Buy a new computer shortly before a new operating system is available, and you get a free upgrade. Buy a Garmin and they give you the first upgrade for free.

I could deal with the maps being maybe up to a year out of date, but three years is ridiculous. This is not the kind of thing that most buyers would even think to ask before purchasing a vehicle with nav, nor is it readily apparent from the version information that is in the MMI.

Audi should be expected to step up and rectify the situation, in mass without expecting customers to fork out another $200 when(?) the update becomes available. I have written Audi with this request - stay tuned.

TIME89
07-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Audi should be expected to step up and rectify the situation, in mass without expecting customers to fork out another $200 when(?) the update becomes available. I have written Audi with this request - stay tuned.

And you as a primary users, should make sure Audi know where you stand! Call AoA, Write AoA copy to BBB! They start react when they feel hit from customers. Audi navigation most expensive in the market - they should stay behind their product and make at list 1 map and POI updates in a year. Navteq is a software company - you pay them - they will do upgrade. Someone in Audi decided skip on payments!
Some one show analogy when you buy computer and new OS will release soon - you get free upgrade! Perfect example.

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-29-2011, 08:40 AM
I understand what he wants but to expect them to give him something for free just because he's annoyed is a bit much.
Uh...who are we referring to here?

hmn4858
07-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Uh...who are we referring to here?

I was speaking of you. I understand your frustration and being po'd about the situation but I'm not surprised they haven't offered you anything. I wonder what the stats are on how may car owners update their maps on a regular basis? From the way this is going I would guess a very small percent. Audi clearly doesn't care.

The analogy on OS upgrades... Yeah if the new OS is imminent but they're not going to give it to you two years later. I've seen software companies that even make you pay for patches.

Stillgoing
07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
The analogy on OS upgrades... Yeah if the new OS is emminate but they're not going to give it to you two years later. I've seen software companies that even make you pay for patches.

I'm not talking about two years, I have had the car for four month and the maps were way out of date when I got it.

TIME89
07-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm not talking about two years, I have had the car for four month and the maps were way out of date when I got it.

Analogy will be - you get latest computer with Windows XP ;)

Stillgoing
07-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Which is why I switched to Mac. :)

hmn4858
07-29-2011, 11:02 AM

Tis a stretch. You're talking about a small piece of software vs an operating system. You want an analogy try buying a new vehicle with a three year old engine under the hood that's closer to XP than a set of maps which is an option.

geronimosan
07-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Trying to use analogies to argue on the internet is like trying to...

Yeah.

So, analogies aside, Audi is charging $3,000 for a system with very old and outdated navigation data. They contract out to a company who releases multiple map updates per year for other devices, and it is Audi who is not working with NAVTEQ to get updated map data.

As consumers who should be standing up for ourselves and fighting for what is fair, what is promised to us, and what we paid for, we are turning to Audi to find out why Audi is not working to update the navigation/POI data in a $3,000 navigation system that it sold to us.

For those of us just now buying our 2012's, if Audi comes out with a new update in a couple of months, it only makes sense that brand new car owners get a free map update. If not, then we are really paying $3200 for a 2012 Navigation system with current maps.

And, in my opinion, owners of older vehicles who have been using extremely outdated Navigation/POI data for years due to Audi not responsibly keeping up with its updates, should receive the next update free as compensation.

This isn't about a bunch of internet forum posters trying to get Free Stuff - this is about all Audi consumers who bought into Audi's brand as a high-end, luxury car manufacturer that has since been resistent to providing its large base of consumers with updated and reliable navigation/POI data. This isn't so much about demanding various methods of compensation from Audi as it is about putting pressure on Audi to do what they promised to all of its consumers, and if forcing them to pay everyone compensation is one way to put pressure on them, then so be it.

At some point I hope Audi gets tired of dealing with our phone calls and emails and handing out compensation, and instead simply contacts NAVTEQ to get a new navigation update released.

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I was speaking of you. I understand your frustration and being po'd about the situation but I'm not surprised they haven't offered you anything.
I'm not surprised either. I haven't asked for anything because I don't think I deserve anything...except the oportunity to update my antique 2009 maps.

I wonder what the stats are on how may car owners update their maps on a regular basis? From the way this is going I would guess a very small percent.
If you speak of the Q5, I'll take a guess and say, zero or less.
If you speak of all cars that come with NAV, I think it would be difficult to tell. I bet many cars are sold or traded before maps updates become available. New owners of new or used cars probably assume that when they take ownership the maps are current. Owners that don't drive out of town(and into the unknown much) wouldn't care. I bet the % is much higher for the non-updaters. So is this why AUDI doesn't care? Are they just LAZY? Is it cost prohibitive? Is it NAVTEQ's fault? Who knows! I do know that they could and should do better.

Had I known that the maps couldn't be updated for years after my purchase, I would not have opted for the NAV. I just assumed that AUDI would take better care of their customers.

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-29-2011, 12:31 PM
I understand what he wants but to expect them to give him something for free just because he's annoyed is a bit much. His was pretty current when he bought his vehicle. So was mine. I wouldn't expect them to pay for an update for my NAV. BTW the NAV isn't 3K the package is.
Did I say to make you think I thought I deserved something for free? Are you OK? Regardless of the breakdown that doesn't not exist, I had to spend $3000 to get NAV or do without. Evidently, you haven't yet become lost while relying on your Q5 NAV system. Wait! Maybe I shouldn't assume that you have NAV.

hmn4858
07-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Did I say to make you think I thought I deserved something for free? Are you OK? Regardless of the breakdown that doesn't not exist, I had to spend $3000 to get NAV or do without. Evidently, you haven't yet become lost while relying on your Q5 NAV system. Wait! Maybe I shouldn't assume that you have NAV.

Says right below what I have. I have not been lost in the Audi but I've had my Garmin send me off in the wrong direction. They're not infallible. I have the package more for the parking sensors, rear camera, color display, and HD/SD card slots. That all came in the $3000 MMI Nav Plus PACKAGE.

TIME89
07-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Did I say to make you think I thought I deserved something for free?

Take it easy, man!!!!!
Watch your language!!!!

http://www.rightattitudes.com/blogincludes/sidebar/swearing-profanity-mind-your-language.jpg

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Says right below what I have.
Sorry hmn, it's just not coming together for me...I have no idea what you are talking about. I never said anything about Audi owing me something or me wanting anything from Audi except updates. I think you need to point it out more clearly if you're going to make remarks.

I have the package more for the parking sensors, rear camera, color display, and HD/SD card slots. That all came in the $3000 MMI Nav Plus PACKAGE.
I know what came in the package...I have it too, ya know. I just don't need the parking sensors, rear camera, or card slot...and the NAV unit is sorta useless without some kind of display(color is cool). Driving large trucks and heavy equipment for many years has put me in a position to not need to rely on such things. My wife likes that stuff though. I just bought mine for the exact reason you didn't.

hmn4858
07-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Sorry hmn, it's just not coming together for me...I have no idea what you are talking about. I never said anything about Audi owing me something or me wanting anything from Audi except updates. I think you need to point it out more clearly if you're going to make remarks.

Below my message it says exactly what kind of Q5 I have. I took it to mean you were expecting something from Audi when you commented you hadn't even been offered a 10 dollar voucher. That came after the $250 comment and I thought you were complaining that they hadn't offered you any compensation for your efforts. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. I plead the 5th. ;)

HaveBullDogWillTravel
07-31-2011, 10:36 AM
Below my message it says exactly what kind of Q5 I have. I took it to mean you were expecting something from Audi when you commented you hadn't even been offered a 10 dollar voucher. That came after the $250 comment and I thought you were complaining that they hadn't offered you any compensation for your efforts. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. I plead the 5th. ;)Oh...the $10 sarcastic comment. For the life of me I just couldn't figure out what you were referring to. Now I know. Plead the 5th? Case dismissed. :)

plapoint
07-31-2011, 05:22 PM
The obsolete maps are even worse in St. Louis. About 2 years ago, one of our main highways going downtown (US highway 64) was completely closed, torn out down to the dirt, and rebuilt. This was one of our 3 main corridors going downtown from the suburbs. The Q5 nav system shows this highway as permanently closed. It will navigate you around this highway no matter what you do, even though it is back open now. There is no solution from Audi for this. I basically cannot use my $3000 navigation system and instead use a $200 Garmin that has updated maps. This really sours my feelings towards Audi and really makes me question ever buying another car with a built in navigation system again! What a waste of money! They should just have an interface that allows you to plug a Garmin or Tomtom into the system. I heard Mercedes was checking into this.

1atlas
07-31-2011, 05:43 PM
The obsolete maps are even worse in St. Louis. About 2 years ago, one of our main highways going downtown (US highway 64) was completely closed, torn out down to the dirt, and rebuilt. This was one of our 3 main corridors going downtown from the suburbs. The Q5 nav system shows this highway as permanently closed. It will navigate you around this highway no matter what you do, even though it is back open now. There is no solution from Audi for this. I basically cannot use my $3000 navigation system and instead use a $200 Garmin that has updated maps. This really sours my feelings towards Audi and really makes me question ever buying another car with a built in navigation system again! What a waste of money! They should just have an interface that allows you to plug a Garmin or Tomtom into the system. I heard Mercedes was checking into this.

Would be great if they had Garmin do the in car interface units and make them upgradeable through Garmin site just like my Nuvi!

HaveBullDogWillTravel
08-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Anyone notice that maps are available for the A3 from MY 2005 THROUGH 2011? Why the A3? Has Audi really sold that many here in the US? I would think that the A4/Q5 would get most of the attention. If it's an issue of $$$ I'd think that the Q5 owners would be more likely to update than A3 owners. Larger pool? More expensive vehicle? Owners have more disposable income? Makes no sense to me. Could it be that the A3 shares a NAV system with VW? I notice that NAVTEQ has updates available for the Jetta and GTi from MY 2006 THROUGH 2011.
Am I incorrect to assume that the A4 and Q5 share the same MMI/NAV system?
...Still waiting...

AudiA4B6US
08-01-2011, 04:53 AM
The A3 is using the RNS-E, just like the TT and R8. Updates were released every year since it was introduced in 2006. Same for the MMI 2G. It's just the MMI 3G that Audi/Navteq haven't released updates for.

Jonnyz1245
08-01-2011, 07:17 AM
I think Audi should be updating these maps. I have a 2012 S4 that I am picking up next week and I will be more than a little upset if my 2K NAV system has 3 year old maps.

I will wait and see before I call AoA to complain. I doubt calling AoA will do anything but maybe if enough of us do it, they will get the msg?

HaveBullDogWillTravel
08-01-2011, 08:39 AM
I have a 2012 S4 that I am picking up next week and I will be more than a little upset if my 2K NAV system has 3 year old maps.I hope you get newer maps than what's indicated by the NAVTEQ website...shows no updates since 2008. Pathetic.
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-AudiNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=GhwKCggQwYsAAAEGGV.kI5NM&ShowAllProducts=YES&ShowALLCategories=YES&CatName=Audi_A4%2FS4%2FRS4

Jonnyz1245
08-01-2011, 09:57 AM
I hope you get newer maps than what's indicated by the NAVTEQ website...shows no updates since 2008. Pathetic.
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-AudiNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=GhwKCggQwYsAAAEGGV.kI5NM&ShowAllProducts=YES&ShowALLCategories=YES&CatName=Audi_A4%2FS4%2FRS4

Well at the very least I would assume they will be 2009 maps or greater.

The link you refer to is for the 2008 model year S4(B7) which has a completely different NAV system than the B8 A4/S4 platform which was all new in 2009.

geronimosan
08-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Just got back from dealership today and chatted with one of the lead service techs (or tech manager - something like that) today. He said he recently attended an Audi meeting where they discussed this issue. AoA is aware that the maps are very outdated, and AoA have been made aware at how many of their customers want updated maps.

Tech said that AoA claims the map updates will be coming soon (still no actual ETA though), but was told that though map updates in the past cost ~$200, in the future this update, for whatever reason (it wasn't explained to him), would be very expensive, along the lines of $700.

It's good that an update might be just around the corner, but pretty astonished that the cost of a data update for the Nav system would cost 23% of the system itself. I could buy 3 Garmins for that cost.

Well, whatever the cost, we need to keep pressuring AoA. Not only for a new map update, but by the sounds of it, for the update to cost $200 as they have quoted to all of us when we bought the option and inquired about it.

abacon09
08-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech said that AoA claims the map updates will be coming soon (still no actual ETA though), but was told that though map updates in the past cost ~$200, in the future this update, for whatever reason (it wasn't explained to him), would be very expensive, along the lines of $700.

The only way this high cost would be justified is if it includes new software that uses Google maps and points of interest like in the A6 or A8. Otherwise, thats ridiculous.

TIME89
08-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech said that AoA claims the map updates will be coming soon (still no actual ETA though), but was told that though map updates in the past cost ~$200

Acura and BMW charge the same for their disk update - $199

Tomb01
08-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Mercedes is worse, they charge $240. I actually used duct tape to secure my Garmin over the MB nav screen, took a picture, and emailed it to MB, telling them I finally got their nav to be as good as a Garmin.... :-(

For just a little more than the price of an upgrade, you can get a Garmin with lifetime map updates (which happen multiple times a year). If there was a way to get the other luxury features without nav, I would definitely be going for that. Am looking at the Q5, and this kind of issue makes me think twice. Have contacted my salesman about it, will see what he says.....

JohnBoyToo
08-01-2011, 06:08 PM
The only way this high cost would be justified is if it includes new software that uses Google maps and points of interest like in the A6 or A8. Otherwise, thats ridiculous.

Don't think that will happen as Google maps will require a hardware upgrade for a persistenet internet connection and monthly fees...

I, for one, am about to get very angry about this....

Yes, it's just a map update, but about time for a refund & return of the nav unit !

Tomb01
08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Seems like this would be a good option for class action. They certainly can't sell their vehicles as 'luxury' and 'the latest generation' if the maps and data are 3 or 4 years old. And when they were new (if they are like all other navigation systems) the map information they were based on was already a year or two old, which would make the data in their 'latest generation' of technology from about 2007 (or so).

This is actually making me think twice about buying an Audi. If they so seriously misrepresent one of the key 'advanced' features of their vehicle, what else are they misleading customers about?

TIME89
08-01-2011, 07:11 PM
This is actually making me think twice about buying an Audi. If they so seriously misrepresent one of the key 'advanced' features of their vehicle, what else are they misleading customers about?

Why you not call to AoA and complain.
Or even better - write to AoA, copy to BBB. Do something, if you not liked!

UrbanExtant
08-07-2011, 09:35 AM
I was just looking through the Q5 accessory book online to see if Audi still offered a cargo net for the Q5 since I just ordered my replacement Q5 Friday, and I noticed on page 19 of the online brochure that it lists item "b" as "navigation map update." It seems strange that Audi of America would put a map update into a printed/published brochure if they didn't, or won't soon, have one. I'm including a copy of the link here for others to see.

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/10/media/downloads/PDFs/Audi_genuine_accessories/Q5%20Accessories%20Brochure_10.pdf

Heresy64
08-11-2011, 11:34 AM
After a complaint email sent about three or four weeks ago to Audi customer service regarding the outdated maps on my A4, I got a call today from Erin at Audi Customer Care in regards to my email.

I was told that Audi is working with Navteq to get an updated map DVD done and it should be ready some time in the fall. When I asked how owners would be notified when it was ready, she suggested I go to Navteq's web site and sign up for an email notification. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to do so.

I also asked about whether or not the Q5 I am picking up in Germany in late September would have updated maps. She said it would likely not, but if I would contact her when my car arrived stateside, she would have a new map DVD sent to me...wait for it...free of charge. I'm pretty sure I heard that correctly--the free part, that is.

So, another piece of the puzzle comes together. We shall see if it comes to fruition.

TIME89
08-11-2011, 11:48 AM
she would have a new map DVD sent to me...wait for it...free of charge. I'm pretty sure I heard that correctly--the free part, that is.

So, another piece of the puzzle comes together. We shall see if it comes to fruition.

Am I crazy or Q5 not use DVD based navigation - it's on Hard Drive?

HaveBullDogWillTravel
08-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Am I crazy or Q5 not use DVD based navigation - it's on Hard Drive?I was under the impression that one could order the update from NAVTEQ(DVD or whatever) and then schedule a service visit to have it installed[by the dealer].

geronimosan
08-11-2011, 12:35 PM
When I asked how owners would be notified when it was ready, she suggested I go to Navteq's web site and sign up for an email notification.

This is Audi trying to pass burden of their problem on to some other company. We bought our car from Audi, not NAVTEQ. Audi needs to to notify Audi customers when this update is ready, not NAVTEQ.

I was under the impression that one could order the update from NAVTEQ(DVD or whatever) and then schedule a service visit to have it installed[by the dealer].

The '09 Q5 update can be done by yourself using a DVD. Audi has said that the '10+ Q5s require a direct connection to their computer to upload the data directly to your system's hard drive. That's what various Service Departments have told people.

Heresy64
08-11-2011, 12:49 PM
My post was just an FYI, boys and girls. I neither vouch for nor deny the validity of what I was told. I'm just passing it along. I'll be interested to test out that "call me for a free update" promise and see how it pans out.

TIME89
08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
My post was just an FYI, boys and girls. I neither vouch for nor deny the validity of what I was told. I'm just passing it along. I'll be interested to test out that "call me for a free update" promise and see how it pans out.

Don't take personally - we just try to digest your message.

Heresy64
08-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Don't take personally - we just try to digest your message.

Not taking it that way at all. I share everyone's skepticism of Audi's approach to solving this problem. I say we keep the pressure on!

TIME89
08-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Not taking it that way at all. I share everyone's skepticism of Audi's approach to solving this problem. I say we keep the pressure on!

Shame to Audi, we have now more then 12 pages of posts - mostly not happy campers.

mtwinn
08-11-2011, 08:25 PM
This is Audi trying to pass burden of their problem on to some other company. We bought our car from Audi, not NAVTEQ. Audi needs to to notify Audi customers when this update is ready, not NAVTEQ.

I don't see why it would be so hard for Audi to notify owners of affected NAV systems regarding map upgrades. After all, Audi should have a list of people that purchased one of their vehicles with NAV.

On the other hand, Acura started sending me emails months before they release their new maps telling me to upgrade for a small fee.

Tomb01
08-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Having had a few vehicles with Nav, I pretty much never buy the map upgrade. I have found that my Garmin is light years ahead of the vehicle GPS systems, and for $90 I get lifetime map upgrades on my Garmin.... You can actually buy a NEW Garmin with lifetime map updates for about the same price as a single map update for an Audi, and of course then you get a Garmin, the class act of the GPS world....

Actually used duct tape to attach (very, very carefully) my Garmin over my ML550 nav, took a picture, and sent it to MB with the note: "I finally got my ML navigation to be as good as a Garmin". :-)

HotRodW
08-17-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm happy to report that in the interest of customer service, Audi has offered us complimentary AudiCare for our Q5. No negotiation required. We just completed the Audi survey honestly, giving our dealership much deserved high marks for their service. We also gave the Q5 high marks overall, but we made sure to express our severe disappointment in the outdated navigation maps. (We did briefly mention the backup camera, but made it clear that we don't feel Audi is responsible, and that we feel they're handling the issue appropriately.) We specifically suggested that free AudiCare would be a reasonable reward for dealing with the nav system until updates become available. Apparently Audi agreed because I got a call from the Sales Manager this morning with the good news. Based on our conversation, it sounds like Audi reserves a number of freebies to deal with customer service issues, and AudiCare is one of them. So for those who have yet to complete their survey, keep in mind that a little diplomacy might be more effective than fist-pounding demands.

TIME89
08-17-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm happy to report that in the interest of customer service, Audi has offered us complimentary AudiCare for our Q5. No negotiation required. We just completed the Audi survey honestly, giving our dealership much deserved high marks for their service. We also gave the Q5 high marks overall, but we made sure to express our severe disappointment in the outdated navigation maps. (We did briefly mention the backup camera, but made it clear that we don't feel Audi is responsible, and that we feel they're handling the issue appropriately.) We specifically suggested that free AudiCare would be a reasonable reward for dealing with the nav system until updates become available. Apparently Audi agreed because I got a call from the Sales Manager this morning with the good news. Based on our conversation, it sounds like Audi reserves a number of freebies to deal with customer service issues, and AudiCare is one of them. So for those who have yet to complete their survey, keep in mind that a little diplomacy might be more effective than fist-pounding demands.

http://forumkiev.com/images/smilies/victory.gif

allgrrl
08-17-2011, 01:00 PM
See my suggestion on another recent thread here re "get our nav maps updated." We should all file complaints with our own states' Consumer Protection offices. It will get Audi's attention a lot faster than a bunch of customers whose money they already have. I just did one with SiriusXM and it went very smoothly - and the Attorney General of your state is on your side. And, when you file, be sure to send copies around to your dealer and to Audi Customer Service etc. If enough of us do this, maybe it will help. You can write up your complaint in the time it takes to post a message on here - or at least in Washington it was all handled on line.

wuddaheck
08-21-2011, 06:55 AM

Yikes! I am trying to be patient about my missing rear camera chip which 'will be here between a month or 6 months plus or minus...', and in reading posts, I now see that the 2012 Q5 I brought home on 8/17 may have a woefully outdated nav map? How do I find out if mine is outdated, or all they all outdated? I was not told this by anyone when I was considering the Audi. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

abacon09
08-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Yikes! I am trying to be patient about my missing rear camera chip which 'will be here between a month or 6 months plus or minus...', and in reading posts, I now see that the 2012 Q5 I brought home on 8/17 may have a woefully outdated nav map? How do I find out if mine is outdated, or all they all outdated? I was not told this by anyone when I was considering the Audi. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

They're all outdated.

wuddaheck
08-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Ok. Thanks!

allgrrl
08-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Today was the nth time I tried to enter a long standing house number into the Audi NavTeq system and it refused to acknowledge that number is a possible combination. The address that has been there for at least 5 years cannot be put in because the numbers are blank on the selection wheel. Does anyone know if there is any workaround to find addresses that our expensive nav system denies even exist?

I'm adding each of these instances to the log I'm keeping for our class action law suit. The nav we were sold should have met the legal requirement - at least in our state - that it do what the product would be expected to do. I think have we have the right to compensation for a product that was wrongfully represented as even having updates since this one has never even been updated and was wrong in the first place. I don't even try to find places of business anymore since so few are in there. It is wrong a much higher percentage of the time than it is right.

eppoh7
08-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Today was the nth time I tried to enter a long standing house number into the Audi NavTeq system and it refused to acknowledge that number is a possible combination. The address that has been there for at least 5 years cannot be put in because the numbers are blank on the selection wheel. Does anyone know if there is any workaround to find addresses that our expensive nav system denies even exist?

I'm adding each of these instances to the log I'm keeping for our class action law suit. The nav we were sold should have met the legal requirement - at least in our state - that it do what the product would be expected to do. I think have we have the right to compensation for a product that was wrongfully represented as even having updates since this one has never even been updated and was wrong in the first place. I don't even try to find places of business anymore since so few are in there. It is wrong a much higher percentage of the time than it is right.

You probably would have noticed this, but I'll throw it out there anyway. The nav has done what you describe, to me a few times and every time it was due to the street name being wrong for the house number I was trying to enter. The street name was correct, but the Ave, Ct, Blvd, St etc. was wrong for the address I wanted to enter. At least in Chicago, the nav seems to give a few options for the street names. So when I have had issues with entering the address, I double check to make sure street name is correct.

UrbanExtant
08-21-2011, 04:15 PM
You probably would have noticed this, but I'll throw it out there anyway. The nav has done what you describe, to me a few times and every time it was due to the street name being wrong for the house number I was trying to enter. The street name was correct, but the Ave, Ct, Blvd, St etc. was wrong for the address I wanted to enter. At least in Chicago, the nav seems to give a few options for the street names. So when I have had issues with entering the address, I double check to make sure street name is correct.

+1 for Philly. It does the same thing in this area. We've found it easiest to start to enter the address via voice command, and then select the street that's correct. If you're ever in the Philly area, try entering an address for "philadelphia." When it asks for the city, and one says "philadelphia" the first option on the screen to select is "filadelfia", and that's no joke. I almost pissed my pants laughing the first time I saw it.

hmn4858
08-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Well if it's been there at least five years, it's either user error or navteq's problem. Audi doesn't generate the maps. Also, do you know how the relationship between Audi and Navteq work? I seriously doubt Audi goes give us updated maps configured to run on the nav system in the Q5 and volia they get it the next day. Does every car manufacturer have annual updated maps? Did Audi advertise that they provided updated maps on an annual basis? You do have the latest AVAILABLE for your particular car nav so there isn't a false advertising claim there.

TIME89
08-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Well if it's been there at least five years, it's either user error or navteq's problem. Audi doesn't generate the maps. Also, do you know how the relationship between Audi and Navteq work? I seriously doubt Audi goes give us updated maps configured to run on the nav system in the Q5 and volia they get it the next day. Does every car manufacturer have annual updated maps? Did Audi advertise that they provided updated maps on an annual basis? You do have the latest AVAILABLE for your particular car nav so there isn't a false advertising claim there.

Acura send me post card and e-mail every year - $199 + S&H

hmn4858
08-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Acura send me post card and e-mail every year - $199 + S&H

I've had navs in MB, Lexus, and now Audi. I only received a notice for an update from Lexus and I didn't get one on a yearly basis. Based on my previous experience, I've had no expectation that Audi would update every year. At least it's better than having to drag out a key map ;)

TIME89
08-21-2011, 07:48 PM
I've had navs in MB, Lexus, and now Audi. I only received a notice for an update from Lexus and I didn't get one on a yearly basis. Based on my previous experience, I've had no expectation that Audi would update every year. At least it's better than having to drag out a key map ;)

I forgot to add - BMW also send a post card one's a year.

hmn4858
08-21-2011, 08:09 PM
I forgot to add - BMW also send a post card one's a year.

Navteq also claims on their website home page to supply BMW nav maps but when you go to see what they have it says they no longer offer it. If they can't even fix that, I question the relationship they have with Audi.

geronimosan
08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Navteq also claims on their website home page to supply BMW nav maps but when you go to see what they have it says they no longer offer it. If they can't even fix that, I question the relationship they have with Audi.

The relationship between Navteq and Audi might be an issue, but should be a transparent problem to the Audi consumer - we didn't buy cars from Navteq, we bought them from Audi. Audi has promised people that Audi would, and has, put out yearly map updates, when, in fact, they have not. This is Audi's problem, and Audi's problem to solve.

hmn4858
08-22-2011, 12:54 AM
The relationship between Navteq and Audi might be an issue, but should be a transparent problem to the Audi consumer - we didn't buy cars from Navteq, we bought them from Audi. Audi has promised people that Audi would, and has, put out yearly map updates, when, in fact, they have not. This is Audi's problem, and Audi's problem to solve.

Who told you they were put out on an annual basis? Audi's own website says periodically updated but doesn't give a timeframe. If your dealer told you that, then your issue is with them.

geronimosan
08-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Who told you they were put out on an annual basis? Audi's own website says periodically updated but doesn't give a timeframe. If your dealer told you that, then your issue is with them.

That is the canned response that anyone will tell the customer when asked.

My car is an Audi; therefore, my issue is with Audi.

TIME89
08-22-2011, 11:44 AM

When drivers start having issue with BMW HPFP and start send their compliance to BMW, BBB, States Consumer Affair, BMW replace supplier of faulty fuel pump.
My point, if you only complain here on this web site - don't expect Audi rush to fixed issue. You have to contact them direct, better in writing, copy to BBB. The more user complain - the more reaction you will see from AoA. Until then - you can write here as much as you like - we can only offer you our support.
and Audi need to know, that they on the age to by sued by angry customers.

hmn4858
08-22-2011, 06:49 PM
When drivers start having issue with BMW HPFP and start send their compliance to BMW, BBB, States Consumer Affair, BMW replace supplier of faulty fuel pump.
My point, if you only complain here on this web site - don't expect Audi rush to fixed issue. You have to contact them direct, better in writing, copy to BBB. The more user complain - the more reaction you will see from AoA. Until then - you can write here as much as you like - we can only offer you our support.
and Audi need to know, that they on the age to by sued by angry customers.

The BBB is a joke. They have zero power to make any business do something to rectify an issue. Ratings are purchased as well.

Canned response and Audi promising something is two different things. Dealerships in the states sell Audis but they aren't owned by Audi. It's almost akin to having someone at best buy (authorized seller of Apple products) promise you something and then you demand Apple to live up to what they said. Dealers have lost their supply by going out of bounds with a car manufacturer.

ashaudi12
09-05-2011, 11:54 PM
I really haven't had too many issues with the nav yet. However, I drive past where the old Cowboy stadium was in Irving, TX at least 3 days a week and noticed this week, the image of the stadium is still showing up. Made me laugh since it was blown up over a year ago :)
I do appreciate the 3d images of downtown Ft. Worth and Dallas! Very neat :)

Now Audi...please adjust with the times and update!

gat821
09-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Happy owner of a new 2012 A4. Picked it up last week - it complements our 2011 Q5 nicely :) One thing I did notice is a newer nav version.

Q5: 8R0060884P NAR 5.4.7
A4: 8R0060884AD NAR 5.5.5

I have an inquiry out to the service department, but no word yet. It does seem that there have been incremental updates after the Q5.

eodok
09-09-2011, 01:00 PM
I have been following all the nav threads with great interest while I had the distinct impression that my maps were actually recent. For example, there is a completely new/redone exit off the Interstae that was opened less than a year ago, and the nav shows it correctly, and also suggests that exit whe traffic is heavy around that area. Needless to say, I consider my nac to be actually quite good and the UI to be very polished with the 3d buildings.

When I saw this update I went and checked my version and mine is also 5.5.5. This is one of the early 2012 models. I took delivery at the end of July, and I believe the production week was jun 20 (or sometime around that)

ForesterFan
09-09-2011, 01:16 PM
My Q5 (took delivery in mid-August) also has the version 8R0060884AD NAR 5.5.5

Rupesh
09-09-2011, 03:27 PM
I have been following all the nav threads with great interest while I had the distinct impression that my maps were actually recent. For example, there is a completely new/redone exit off the Interstae that was opened less than a year ago, and the nav shows it correctly, and also suggests that exit whe traffic is heavy around that area. Needless to say, I consider my nac to be actually quite good and the UI to be very polished with the 3d buildings.

When I saw this update I went and checked my version and mine is also 5.5.5. This is one of the early 2012 models. I took delivery at the end of July, and I believe the production week was jun 20 (or sometime around that)

Eodok, this is quite a welcome update. Most people had different degrees of dissatisfaction with the previous version of Audi Nav. Most people seem to buy Nav package because of backup camera.

My 2 year old Garmin is awesome. However, my built-in Nav in Mercedes E-500 (7 years old now) has the clunkiest Nav. The first gen Garmin (bought in 2000) was far better than the MB one. My single biggest beef with MB Nav is that it doesn't allow you to pick a particular house address. Essentially it will bring you with in 100 yards but not any closer!

I'm curious to hear your comparison with whatever Nav you have used previously. What do you like or don't like in the version you have.

Cheers!

eodok
09-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I used to have a Tomtom handheld before the q5, and I had it custom fitted to the MDX that the Q5 replaced. It was good but I like my gadgets fully integrated and act like "appliances". They need to get out of the way and just work. I also use Navigon quite frequently on my iPhone, which I think is the best nav app on that platform. However, not having to remember to carry a device and that it's completely integrated to my car (from the voice recognition to dampening the stereo to not having to wait for a fix) are the key features for me.

I'm actually quite pleased with the nav in the Q5. The graphics are really polished, controls are extremely responsive, the built-in compass works even inside buildings (think of exiting a parking garage and not knowing which way to turn while your garmin is waiting for a fix). Sure, the POIs are outdated and incomplete, but they are a novelty anyway. Now that I know I have recent maps, I have nothing to complain about.

gat821
09-09-2011, 09:15 PM

This is confirmation then that 5.5.5 is, at worst, a few months old. This is great news! Now if Audi would just start rolling this out to older cars. Haven't heard from the service department, though as recently as 2 weeks ago, when I was following up my A4 order, the word was no Q5 map update.

john1r
09-10-2011, 10:53 AM
My 2010 Q5 has 5.3.4

I'm going to inquire with my dealer about 5.5.5.

http://i.imm.io/92G1.jpeg

QQQQuattro
09-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Ok, maybe a stupid question...but if the 2010 Q5's have 5.3.4, and the 2011's have 5.4.7, why has everyone been saying our maps are 5+ years old, and neither Audi or Navteq has any info about map updates over that time? Guess I'm not fully convinced that the newer versioning always equates to newer maps (although Eodok's report of a new exit being in the v5.5.5 Nav is very encouraging indeed).

ForesterFan
09-10-2011, 06:46 PM
My Q5 (took delivery in mid-August) also has the version 8R0060884AD NAR 5.5.5

I meant to include an image earlier. My bad.

tridentnyc
09-10-2011, 08:21 PM
I meant to include an image earlier. My bad.

My one month old 2012 Q5 is sporting the same!

Thunder22
09-11-2011, 05:35 AM
I'm on 5.5.5 also.

What's all of the commotion about?

tridentnyc
09-11-2011, 05:43 AM
I'm on 5.5.5 also.

What's all of the commotion about?
I think some of the commotion was self inflicted on AoA's part and at the dealership level. When I inquired both with AoA and at a number of dealerships whether my 2012 Q5 would ship with updated maps I was given many different answers but not one of them said "Yes, you will have updated maps". Instead it was "you need to speak with Navteq" or "our maps aren't updated annually" etc. etc.
If AoA and dealerships had a cohesive answer for their current and prospective customers this would be a non issue. It still amazes me how long this has been a topic on this forum, how many people like me have made multiple calls and inquiries only to still not have a cohesive answer from AoA. Totally self inflicted in my opinion.

HaveBullDogWillTravel
09-11-2011, 06:01 AM
It still amazes me how long this has been a topic on this forum, how many people like me have made multiple calls and inquiries only to still not have a cohesive answer from AoA. Totally self inflicted in my opinion.
completely agree
still no definitive answer as to whether the maps have been updated. Just because the software is now ...5.5 doesn't mean new/newer maps are included. My guess is the ...5.5 is referring to the op system only. NAVTEQ and AoA could answer his but for some reason choose not to. Maybe it's all about self-preservation.

Thunder22
09-11-2011, 06:36 AM
completely agree
still no definitive answer as to whether the maps have been updated. Just because the software is now ...5.5 doesn't mean new/newer maps are included. My guess is the ...5.5 is referring to the op system only. NAVTEQ and AoA could answer his but for some reason choose not to. Maybe it's all about self-preservation.

the 5.5.5 seems to refer to the database not the OS as you can see from the screen shots. The SW version is listed above it. No?

Heresy64
09-11-2011, 07:51 AM
the 5.5.5 seems to refer to the database not the OS as you can see from the screen shots. The SW version is listed above it. No?

Agreed. I would also equate Nav database with maps.

AudiA4B6US
09-11-2011, 02:16 PM
The parts catalog shows a 8R0 051 884 AL as Data Medium for updating the MMI Navigation system Plus with hard drive, edition 2011. 8R0 060 884 AL is the acitvation document that is required for that data update. The picture implies that it's a SD card as data medium. There is also a 8R0 051 884 P which is listed as data medium 2010 edition, so there are definitely two different versions. The 2012 edition may not be in the parts catalog yet, it usually takes a few weeks before factory installed parts appear in the catalog.

I have no time right now to go to the dealer and let him confirm the numbers and look up the prices but there seems to be an update out there from AoA and not from Navteq (as AoA always says).

HaveBullDogWillTravel
09-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Yep. I didn't look close enough at the screen shot. TY for pointing that out.

ForesterFan
09-11-2011, 04:59 PM
It might be worth pointing out that the software version is also newer. It would be nice to know what was included in that update.

Stillgoing
09-13-2011, 09:28 AM
I have just had my second conversation with an Audi cutover service rep in three weeks. He first called me in response the the email I sent Audi expressing my dissatisfaction with the maps in my 2011 Q5. At that time, he didn't seem to know anything, claiming that what I had was the latest even though they might be a year old. To show how little he knew, he even suggestednthat I go and put the DVD to check the date, although he couldn't explain where saidnDVD was located.

Now, armed with the 5.5.5 information, I called him. He claimed to unaware of the 5.5.5 version, but did acknowledge that that Audi is aware of the issue (at high levels) and would be advising customers, probably via letter, when it is available, although no specifics on when that would be or whether they would be providing it for free and in what form. His other piece of sqtndard advisee was to contact the dealer and see what they have to say - which I certainly will do in another 850 miles when I take it in for the 5K.

john1r
09-13-2011, 10:00 AM
I was just told by a dealer that, "As of now the 3G Nav/MMI system does not have any update software available. I am told sometime early 2012 it will be available"

JohnBoyToo
09-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Just spoke to AoA about my case # where they would pay for the map update....

No update and they are still lamely blaming it on Navteq !

I told them to escalate it to the highest levels....

(yes, I know, it's just a map update and not the worst problem in the world, but IMHO a company is judged not by issues, but how they react to issues - and thus far they've not reacted at all !)

Stillgoing
09-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Did they actually commit to paying for the update? I can't seem to get that commitment out of them.

JohnBoyToo
09-13-2011, 11:37 AM
They did back around the May June time frame when I first called them about it... and gave me a case number as a record... I did have to talk to a supervisor's supervisor though :)

Of course it nothing is available to update then no outlay on their part :)

g8tor20
09-13-2011, 12:12 PM
My 2012 is en route and I called AoA to see if there was an update on the way. My rep said that they are working on that issue as many customers have complained about this. As soon as an update is in, they will send a letter out to the owners descibing the update and the way to getting it (she didn't know how much they would charge or anything like that).

So...I don't think the right hand knows what the left hand is doing and...more concerning...the brain doesn't know what either of them are doing!

World of confusion:

Audi
Audi of America
Navteq
Dealerships

Reggie
09-13-2011, 01:45 PM
My 2012 is en route and I called AoA to see if there was an update on the way. My rep said that they are working on that issue as many customers have complained about this. As soon as an update is in, they will send a letter out to the owners descibing the update and the way to getting it (she didn't know how much they would charge or anything like that).

So...I don't think the right hand knows what the left hand is doing and...more concerning...the brain doesn't know what either of them are doing!

World of confusion:

Audi
Audi of America
Navteq
Dealerships
Judging the surveys I got from NavTeq you are correct. AOA is the one in control of things since access to the storage is now not done via DVD.

hmn4858
09-13-2011, 02:14 PM

No update and they are still lamely blaming it on Navteq !

I told them to escalate it to the highest levels....

(yes, I know, it's just a map update and not the worst problem in the world, but IMHO a company is judged not by issues, but how they react to issues - and thus far they've not reacted at all !)

For a car company that was willing to let drivers get stranded in the dead of winter with a busted water pump do you really think they'd do anything about a few folks complaining about a database being out of date?

I've never been impressed with German manufacturers customer service.

TIME89
09-13-2011, 02:40 PM
For a car company that was willing to let drivers get stranded in the dead of winter with a busted water pump do you really think they'd do anything about a few folks complaining about a database being out of date?

Just get replay from AoA on your post:

http://forumkiev.com/images/smilies/tease_old.gif

allgrrl
09-20-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm sorry to tell you this exchange with them is nothing new. Many of us have heard the same months ago. There is no progress anyone is aware of.

I just had the pleasure of answering a JD Power survey about the Audi Nav. I told the truth and gave it an unacceptable rating across the board. If the computer works but all the data is bad, then the whole thing's is bad. I continually have to pull over to consult the IPhone to find POI's or destinations that the Audi system either never heard of or denies exists.

Last weekend I was in E Wash desert, a couple miles from the Columbia River bridge at Vantage. Nav said the closest gas was 60 miles but gas gauge said I had 59 miles until empty. Turned out there were three gas stations within 3 miles at Vantage, a town the Nav didn't even know existed. It created a little panic for me until my IPhone cleared up the situation. Not a good thing and actually kind of scary when driving in unfamiliar parts to be told you cannot get to gas. And this is not the first time this has happened. Worse than useless.

JohnBoyToo
09-21-2011, 03:37 AM
After my last discussion with them, I decided to order the Garmin lifetime map updates so I could get the latest...
$89 for updates four times a year... and from what I hear they are very up to date....

Sad... just got my jdpower survey too... the nav WILL be highlighted !

S4forDC
09-21-2011, 10:22 AM
I'm sorry to tell you this exchange with them is nothing new. Many of us have heard the same months ago. There is no progress anyone is aware of.

I just had the pleasure of answering a JD Power survey about the Audi Nav. I told the truth and gave it an unacceptable rating across the board. If the computer works but all the data is bad, then the whole thing's is bad. I continually have to pull over to consult the IPhone to find POI's or destinations that the Audi system either never heard of or denies exists.

Last weekend I was in E Wash desert, a couple miles from the Columbia River bridge at Vantage. Nav said the closest gas was 60 miles but gas gauge said I had 59 miles until empty. Turned out there were three gas stations within 3 miles at Vantage, a town the Nav didn't even know existed. It created a little panic for me until my IPhone cleared up the situation. Not a good thing and actually kind of scary when driving in unfamiliar parts to be told you cannot get to gas. And this is not the first time this has happened. Worse than useless.

Yesterday I received the J.D. Power and Associates online Navigation Usage and Satisfaction Study as well. Hopefully AoA is getting the results.

CinnamonQ5
09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Those that have not ordered the Q5 yet and is reading this. Get the aftermarket integrated NAV solution. It turns the 6.5" screen into a touchscreen and you can install any available WinCE based Nav software like IGo and off you go. Update to the latest available map any time you want by updating the SD card. Sure you don't get the Audi NAV buttons but frankly I don't miss it a bit. And it's a lot quicker to input and route with the aftermarket solution too. Just my 2 cents.

TIME89
09-21-2011, 06:59 PM
This problem is not only with AUDI.
BMW drivers complain (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569841) about 4 yr old map on their navigation

Thunder22
09-22-2011, 05:01 PM
This problem is not only with AUDI.
BMW drivers complain (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569841) about 4 yr old map on their navigation

It's funny how obsessed with bmw you are lol.

Who cares about BMW's nav?

TIME89
09-23-2011, 07:52 AM
It's funny how obsessed with bmw you are lol.

I love cars! You should see me when I get my first new car - Honda Civic!

HaveBullDogWillTravel
09-23-2011, 08:40 AM
I do. I might be in the market for a 135i sometime in near future.

Thunder22
09-23-2011, 11:53 AM
I do. I might be in the market for a 135i sometime in near future.

Don't believe everything you hear about BMW's NAV. I just turned in my 3rd X5, Nav worked great.

TIME89
09-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Don't believe everything you hear about BMW's NAV. I just turned in my 3rd X5, Nav worked great.

Don't read this thread about Audi NAV problems - it's worked great!

Thunder22
09-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Don't read this thread about Audi NAV problems - it's worked great!

nav in my 2012 does. No issues. :D

Also, when something works correctly people don't post about it, they usually only cry when something is broken, so by the small sample of posts on here, it's not a big deal, and in fact it's wrong becasue they have been updated (5.5.5)

TIME89
09-23-2011, 12:20 PM
nav in my 2012 does. No issues. :D

Also, when something works correctly people don't post about it, they usually only cry when something is broken, so by the small sample of posts on here, it's not a big deal, and in fact it's wrong becasue they have been updated (5.5.5)

It's not broken - it's work fine, only maps is 4 yrs old - that why drivers complain here and on Bimmerfest.

Thunder22
09-23-2011, 12:34 PM
It's not broken - it's work fine, only maps is 4 yrs old - that why drivers complain here and on Bimmerfest.

That's my point, new cars have a new version of map data, maybe people just don't realize that there is a difference between the application and the data and when they're asking their dealer for an update, they're asking for map data update and the dealer is answering with application? I don't know, I'm just guessing.

sparkq5
09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
That's my point, new cars have a new version of map data, maybe people just don't realize that there is a difference between the application and the data and when they're asking their dealer for an update, they're asking for map data update and the dealer is answering with application? I don't know, I'm just guessing.

I have a 2012, I can confirm the 5.5.5 software, but I don't know the map database version; however, I can assure you, the maps are quite dated (I'm a software developer, so I get the potential difference in versioning). If I were to follow the nav directions, I would be going east instead of north on a certain route that has been completed for some time. In this case, I know the area, but if I didn't know the area, I'd be quit pissed.

I mostly got the nav option for the rear view camera and high definition sound, but at $3k, I expect better for the nav too.

TIME89
09-23-2011, 01:51 PM

http://www.e90post.com/forums/images/smilies/readthethread.gif

Sorry - english is not my first language. So, I will try my best: DID YOU READ THIS THREAD from first post to the last one???

Thunder22
09-23-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.e90post.com/forums/images/smilies/readthethread.gif

Sorry - english is not my first language. So, I will try my best: DID YOU READ THIS THREAD from first post to the last one???

again, it's bmw, who cares? (except the guy buying a 1er soon :))

I was referring to the Audi Nav 5.5.5 and the few number of complaints about it compared to the number of people who actually own an Audi and use it.

TIME89
09-23-2011, 02:05 PM
again, it's bmw, who cares? (except the guy buying a 1er soon :))

I was referring to the Audi Nav 5.5.5 and the few number of complaints about it compared to the number of people who actually own an Audi and use it.

Thank You for clarification.
19 pages of users complains....

JohnBoyToo
09-23-2011, 03:00 PM

most comments on this thread are obvious that they know the difference :)

if you go to Audi or their dealer and say the maps are old....
would hope THEY know the difference, otherwise not sure they have the intellect to work on such a sophisticated car !

And love the English is not my first language retort !!!! :)

TIME89
09-23-2011, 05:18 PM
And love the English is not my first language retort !!!! :)

NO, that part is true - born in USSR! Country that not exist anymore :(

HaveBullDogWillTravel
09-23-2011, 05:38 PM
NO, that part is true - born in USSR! Country that not exist anymore :(FWIW...I have no problem with your 2nd language. Aside from a few verb conjugations its very good. Your use of it is far superior to many that were born here in the US and would claim it to be their 1st(and only) language.

TIME89
09-23-2011, 05:56 PM
FWIW...I have no problem with your 2nd language. Aside from a few verb conjugations its very good. Your use of it is far superior to many that were born here in the US and would claim it to be their 1st(and only) language.

Thanks for your kind words.
I had to admit to my self, that I made a big mistake 20 yrs ago. Instead of working on 2 jobs 80 hrs a week, I should stick with one and spend few semesters in city college on ESL classes.

JohnBoyToo
11-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Bump to make a comment on this old thread as I called AoA again and still no joy....

Don't think there will ever be an update as I understand they have moved on to google map support....

Did anyone mention class-action suit ?

HaveBullDogWillTravel
11-15-2011, 06:06 AM
I find it odd, and irritating that:
I just got an email from:
"Volkswagen Navigation Team" <Volkswagen@email.NAVTEQ.com> ...
telling me that there is an "update" available for my 2011 Golf TDi...my 6 month old Golf TDi.

I'm not sure how old the maps are(in my Golf) but I sure wasn't expecting an update. I do know that my Golf's maps are more accurate(and I assume, newer) than the maps in my Q5. This make no sense whatsoever. I'll be calling AoA again very soon.

JohnBoyToo
11-15-2011, 06:18 AM
here's the numbers to call: let's swamp them :)
AoA 800 367 2834
navteq 888-628-6277

john1r
11-15-2011, 06:46 AM
I find it odd, and irritating that:
I just got an email from:
"Volkswagen Navigation Team" <Volkswagen@email.NAVTEQ.com> ...
telling me that there is an "update" available for my 2011 Golf TDi...my 6 month old Golf TDi.

I'm not sure how old the maps are(in my Golf) but I sure wasn't expecting an update. I do know that my Golf's maps are more accurate(and I assume, newer) than the maps in my Q5. This make no sense whatsoever. I'll be calling AoA again very soon.

Does your VW use a similar MMI and/or Navigation system to the Audi? Or is it completely different?

here's the numbers to call: let's swamp them :)
AoA 800 367 2834
navteq 888-628-6277

I had emailed AoA a few weeks ago and just got a call a couple of days ago. I had complained in my email about the outdated maps and that for the past 2 years it keeps pointing me in the wrong direction on certain roads even though the construction was completed years ago... The woman essentially blew me off and gave me the standard 'we're working on it' and wouldn't provide any other information. Just kept asking 'is there anything else I can help you with' (I could tell from her voice that she just wanted to get me off the phone).

I agree that everyone should start calling and/or emailing.

HaveBullDogWillTravel
11-15-2011, 09:28 AM
I just called and got the following message.
"Currently all customer advocates are at a meeting learning how Audi technology can serve you better..." ...I kid you not!

Well, OK then...looks to me like they're on top of this NAV thing. We should be getting notified of the new map updates any minute now. Audi will be better serving us from NOW on...what with every one of the customer advocates in a meeting and all. I feel soooo much better.

HaveBullDogWillTravel
11-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Does your VW use a similar MMI and/or Navigation system to the Audi? Or is it completely different?

It's completely different....an RNS-310.

JohnBoyToo
01-04-2012, 04:00 AM
Bringing this thread back to life :)

Rec'd a response on my BBB complaint (which I didn't have a lot of faith in as it is just another money wasting bureaucracy ! )

This message is in regard to your complaint submitted on 11/21/2011 1:55:17 PM against Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. Your complaint was assigned ID xxxxxxxx.

We have written to the firm referenced above on two previous occasions. Since we have not received a reply to our requests for a response, a final notice will be sent to the company today.

Perhaps the firm has already contacted you. If so, please advise us of the situation immediately. If you do not hear back from us, it means that our attempts at conciliation have been exhausted and you may wish to contact an attorney or your local or state office of consumer affairs to pursue the matter further.

Please know that we are, unfortunately, not able to compel a firm to answer and resolve complaints. Since this firm is not a BBB Accredited Business, it is not obligated to respond and resolve consumer complaints with us.

In those few instances where our requests have been ignored, the information is made a part of the firm's file at the BBB. In many cases this will result in an adverse BBB Reliability Report being issued on the firm.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions.

Regards,

JohnBoyToo
01-05-2012, 07:50 AM
WOW !!!! Will someone pinch me ?!?!

I have NEVER gotten a positive response from a BBB complaint in my life !
Now to see how old these maps are when they come in !

the names have been changed to protect the innocent (and the guilty) !!!

To BBB representative:

I apologize for the delay in response. The update for the navigation unit for their vehicle just became available. Their Audi dealer has ordered it for them and it will be available in approximately 2 weeks. Once the parts are in, the dealer will contact them directly to schedule the update.

Regards,

Audi person's name
Sr. Mediation & Arbitration Analyst
Mediation Arbitration

VOLKSWAGEN Group of America, Inc.
3800 Hamlin Road
Auburn Hills, MI 48326

Thunder22
01-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Wait a sec, your last post, is that Audi saying that the maps ahve been updated? because I just called Audi of America and the rep told me that they haven't and there's still no ETA.

JohnBoyToo
01-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks for calling Audi - because that email was from AoA to the BBB saying that the maps are ordered ! like I said - we'll see :)

How does that saying go about the right hand and left hand ?!?!?! LOL

john1r
01-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Thanks for calling Audi - because that email was from AoA to the BBB saying that the maps are ordered ! like I said - we'll see :)

How does that saying go about the right hand and left hand ?!?!?! LOL

Have you checked with your Audi dealer to see if they know anything about this?

loscoz
01-06-2012, 04:49 AM
I had emailed AoA a few weeks ago and just got a call a couple of days ago. I had complained in my email about the outdated maps and that for the past 2 years it keeps pointing me in the wrong direction on certain roads even though the construction was completed years ago... The woman essentially blew me off and gave me the standard 'we're working on it' and wouldn't provide any other information. Just kept asking 'is there anything else I can help you with' (I could tell from her voice that she just wanted to get me off the phone).
I agree that everyone should start calling and/or emailing.

Just before Christmas I too received a call from AoA -forgot about it til I saw this part of the thread. This rep also seemed to want to get me off the phone but I just kept on railing at her how pathetic it was that simple $50 garmins get updated sooner than the $3k system that Audi is providing ... though her follow up call is appreciated there are others around the world who are equally bothered as I am over the 3 yrs+ and no updates!
Every time she kept saying sorry and that 'anything else I can do' line I would start again on how poor this situation is, the he-said-she-said of finger pointing between Navtec & Audi.
After 4x of this, my last statement was that the BBB was notified by myself and others :D

JohnBoyToo
01-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Ok - Audi of America called me this morning and she gave me the name of the svc mgr at my dealership and that she had spoken to him and the update is ORDERED !!!

Should be in within a week or so - woohoo !

Now she did play dumb (maybe not playing :) )
when I asked how recent are the map updates
since I just got another garmin update !

tomaszp72
01-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Any idea if Audi is going to use updated maps in the currently built Q5's or we will have to talk to the dealer to update them before we take delivery?

gat821
01-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Any word on the cost of the map update, or are we getting it free for how late it's coming? :)

HaveBullDogWillTravel
01-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Update:
After a LONG conversation (concerning the still absent map updates) with AoA yesterday, the CSR told me that she would investigate and return call me by afternoon on Monday.
She asked me if I had yet called my dealer about this issue. I had not, so I called my dealer's parts department and the guy says yes, one is available. I explained that that was strange as NAVTEQ said one had not yet been released. He offered to double-check for me and came back after a few minutes and said that I was correct, "there is no update available the MMI 3G at this time."
The gal from AoA with which I had spoken did give me an alternate phone # for NAVTEQ and encouraged me to call them. I'll do just that hinging on what she tells me come Monday afternoon. Major RUNAROUND from both parties, IMO. The fight/plight continues...
BTW, I'll share that # on Monday when I get back to the office.

Cabo de Hornos
01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
We all might have better luck with "Peggy". :D:D

abacon09
01-08-2012, 08:27 PM

Haha

loscoz
01-09-2012, 05:07 AM

LMAO!!!
maybe AoA & Navteq learned the pass-around request for Customer Service Dept./answers for customers from her too ... but at least we know 'she' gets into trouble when she doesn't do a good job either.

geronimosan
01-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Update:
After a LONG conversation (concerning the still absent map updates) with AoA yesterday, the CSR told me that she would investigate and return call me by afternoon on Monday.
She asked me if I had yet called my dealer about this issue. I had not, so I called my dealer's parts department and the guy says yes, one is available. I explained that that was strange as NAVTEQ said one had not yet been released. He offered to double-check for me and came back after a few minutes and said that I was correct, "there is no update available the MMI 3G at this time."
The gal from AoA with which I had spoken did give me an alternate phone # for NAVTEQ and encouraged me to call them. I'll do just that hinging on what she tells me come Monday afternoon. Major RUNAROUND from both parties, IMO. The fight/plight continues...
BTW, I'll share that # on Monday when I get back to the office.

You shouldn't be calling NavTeq. You bought the car from Audi, and it is Audi who is to provide updates.

Let Audi do all do all of the footwork. Just keep complaining to the BBB and other complaint outlets until Audi resolves the matter on their own to our satisfaction. That's what I have been doing.

DER KONIG PANZER
01-09-2012, 11:31 AM
I agree this is Audi's problem. I spent some time on the phone today with Navtec, Audi USA and two local dealers and they all play the idiot card "never heard this before" (outdated maps)! I purchased the nav for the dvd in motion and park assist but now I have begun to use the nav system and the maps are at least 3 years old. I also asked about the heated seats and got the response of "a slight change in output was made". They claimed they know of no issue with sun roof glass breakage in cold climates (I am in Mass)! I have had no other issues LOVE the car (3700 miles since November 2011). The BBB is a joke I had an issues with a body shop A+++ rating from BBB that did a terrible job on my other car and they could do nothing. Anyone have an idea on how to pressure Audi to get us updated maps?

wmsinks
01-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I am picking up my new q5 on Thursday. How do I know if the navigation is updated with the latest maps?

wmsinks
01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
I am picking up my new q5 on Thursday. How do I know if the navigation is updated with the latest maps?

HaveBullDogWillTravel
01-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Anyone have an idea on how to pressure Audi to get us updated maps?AoA told me that they would call me back no later than this afternoon with an answer to my questions from Friday. I did not get a call. I'll wait another day or so before someone gets unloaded on...nothing short of PATHETIC.

HaveBullDogWillTravel
01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
I spoke with an AoA rep today and I was told that the Q5 Nav updates are in the "final stage of preparation" and should be available soon. He told me that I would be receiving a letter that will outline exactly how to purchase and install/have installed any update(s). He asked me to be patient and give them another month or so and it will come about. I believe every word of what he told me...and that's a first with regards to AoA and the Nav updating fiasco. Hang in there everyone.

UrbanExtant
01-10-2012, 12:44 PM
I spoke with an AoA rep today and I was told that the Q5 Nav updates are in the "final stage of preparation" and should be available soon. He told me that I would be receiving a letter that will outline exactly how to purchase and install/have installed any update(s). He asked me to be patient and give them another month or so and it will come about. I believe every word of what he told me...and that's a first with regards to AoA and the Nav updating fiasco. Hang in there everyone.

I wonder if you got the same rep, a male, at AoA, that was honest with me about my last car and told me they had messed it up beyond being able to return to it to me to factory delivered drivability. Maybe he's the only "honest" rep they have.

Cabo de Hornos
01-11-2012, 09:24 AM
Did he sound like "Peggy"?

Reggie
01-11-2012, 01:31 PM
That was good

geronimosan
01-11-2012, 02:00 PM

+1 !!

HaveBullDogWillTravel
01-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Thankfully, NO! He sounded like someone that actually GAS...better informed and willing to share what he did know. Time will tell.

JohnBoyToo
01-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I just so happened to talk to my svc mgr and he said AoA DID talk to him, but just told him to go find an update for me !!!!
and to quote him
"Man, that was difficult to find any information out about an update" !!

I laughed in his face and said " And you WORK for Audi - how do you think the customers feel ?"

He said he originally was told 10 days, but now it will be the middle of Feb - hopefully this year !

I reiterated how much Audi was getting beat up on the forums by this...

he tried the "Well, it's Natvteq".... and I cut him off telling him I get map updates from navteq 4 times a year for my two garmins so don't say it's navteq - I didn't buy the nav from them - I bought it from YOU !

gggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Cabo de Hornos
01-12-2012, 09:32 AM
I wonder if Kirk Herbstreit, Lou Holtz and Bobby Bowden have Audis too, cause they sure know about "Peggy".

TIME89
01-12-2012, 09:46 AM
he tried the "Well, it's Natvteq".... and I cut him off telling him I get map updates from navteq 4 times a year for my two garmins so don't say it's navteq - I didn't buy the nav from them - I bought it from YOU !

And one of the expensive in the market.
BMW Nav cost $1,900 - not a perfect one but $1,100 less then MMI

stollen
01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
So is there a difference between different Audi models? I ask because we have a 2011 Q5 that we purchased almost exactly one year ago and also recently got a 2012 S4, purchased about 1.5 months ago. We live in a pretty new area in a very small town. The nav in the Q5 can't find our address, but the nav in the S4 can. Seems odd that the same 3G MMI would have different maps based on the model of car, doesn't it?

gat821
01-13-2012, 02:54 PM
So is there a difference between different Audi models? I ask because we have a 2011 Q5 that we purchased almost exactly one year ago and also recently got a 2012 S4, purchased about 1.5 months ago. We live in a pretty new area in a very small town. The nav in the Q5 can't find our address, but the nav in the S4 can. Seems odd that the same 3G MMI would have different maps based on the model of car, doesn't it?

Not based on car model, but on model year. If you lookup the nav version on your MMI, you'll likely see different version numbers. Our 2011 Q5 has 5.4.7 and the 2012 A4 has 5.5.5.

anishkumar
01-13-2012, 03:01 PM
So latest year Q5s (or A4/S4s) will have updated version of map data! thats interesting..

Not based on car model, but on model year. If you lookup the nav version on your MMI, you'll likely see different version numbers. Our 2011 Q5 has 5.4.7 and the 2012 A4 has 5.5.5.

Thunder22
01-13-2012, 03:52 PM
my 2012 q5 prem + has 5.5.5 also.

but the poi's and addresses are not up to date.

JohnBoyToo
01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
That's not promising that the 5.5.5 is still not up to date...
our 11 Q5 has 5.4.7 and was hoping it would be better :(

john1r
01-24-2012, 06:50 AM
I was just told by a local dealer:

"There is a 2011 map edition available. It is $241.00 for the license code and requires about 1.5 hours labor for the update to be loaded on to the hard drive which is an additional $180.00."

Yikes. $421 for a simple update? Regarding the 1.5 hours of labor I wrote back and asked if it's really just 5 minutes to get the thing going and then 5 minutes to finish up when it's done, and not really a tech sitting there for 1.5 hours. We'll see what they say. Either way it's just crazy...

JohnBoyToo
06-25-2012, 07:15 AM
to keep this thread up to date....

just told it will be August before they get an update out for the Q5 Nav....

Sad that your car ownership cycle is shorter that the map update cycle :)

HaveBullDogWillTravel
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
just told it will be...
told by AoA or dealer?

johncaravello
06-25-2012, 01:05 PM
JBT. Are you still holding your breath for that promised free map update? LOL.

HaveBullDogWillTravel
06-26-2012, 04:42 AM
LOL.I wonder...did he get that in writing. Maybe AUDI is holding up the release in hopes that he'll trade his Q in on a 2014 or '15 model.
This delay is all HIS fault!

JohnBoyToo
06-26-2012, 12:47 PM
True !!! It is my fault... but I did save the case number for the free upgrade and maybe THAT'S why they don't want to give it to me :)

my dealer told me - AoA told me it was released last Feb then took it back :)

golfnguitarz
07-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Lurking here for a bit and waiting on the 2013s as my first Audi purchase. But seriously, I am getting an uneasy feeling about the Nav support. For me, I tend to hang on to vehicles for 8-10 years, but if Audi can't get a simple Nav update out for existing owners, it really makes me nervous about purchasing an Audi. Sure there are other variables involved, but I really feel Audi could make this happen if they wanted to.

john1r
07-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I've resorted to using my iPhone and Waze (or mapquest) as I can't stand the Audi Nav. It's also at least 10x quicker to search for things and get accurate addresses, etc...

Poncherelly
07-13-2012, 06:35 PM
+1 Adding myself to this thread to see if an update ever comes out.

JohnBoyToo
08-27-2012, 11:27 AM
I GOT A CALL FROM AoA today about the maps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She actually said they were making great strides with the navigation !!!!
What?
she explained that they were going to google maps and making great strides...
I explained to her that means it's worse for us since you really won't ever get an update out and the monthly svc fees will be extravagant.

She apologized and said they hoped to have the update out by the end of the year - I asked what year ?!?!

funny, since I had just gotten my quarterly update from Navteq for my $300 garmins and made me think about calling AoA, but decided not to... to save on the frustration :)

DON'T BUY THE NAV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or get it free if you must get it :)

JohnBoyToo
09-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Are you sitting down ?!?!

Got a call from DFW Audi Svc mgr and he asked me the same question :

Are you sitting down - guess what I got in this morning ?!?!

Your Nav update !
He said it normally runs $316,
but he was going to take care of it for me :)

Funny, because we were actually looking to trade it in last weekend - but the new one the wife wanted was $55k+ - she decided she liked the Q still ....

johncaravello
09-06-2012, 08:06 AM
NO WAY! Did he tell you the part about it only being available to owners of 3.2's? ;)

D_Frost
09-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Whoa... I'll throw this in before everyone jumps in... "pics or it didn't happen" ;)

TIME89
09-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Are you sitting down ?!?!

Got a call from DFW Audi Svc mgr and he asked me the same question :

Are you sitting down - guess what I got in this morning ?!?!

Your Nav update !
He said it normally runs $316,
but he was going to take care of it for me :)

Funny, because we were actually looking to trade it in last weekend - but the new one the wife wanted was $55k+ - she decided she liked the Q still ....

WTF!!!!!
Audi Navigation is most expensive navigation unit in this car category.
They late at list for 3 yrs for map update.
When update came it cost How f#$% much?
I don't understand your excitement - you should be on the phone and explain to AoA what you think about them and all their relatives, including in-laws!

Edit: OK, I cool down and re-read your message - you got for free. Lucky one!
But I'm mad at Audi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HaveBullDogWillTravel
09-06-2012, 09:32 AM
NO WAY! Did he tell you the part about it only being available to owners of 3.2's? ;)BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAH!

Heresy64
09-06-2012, 10:08 AM
she explained that they were going to google maps and making great strides...

Was she saying that the current nav systems will be changed to use Google maps, or was she talking about the navs in the 2013+ models? Seems to me it would be next to impossible to change the mapping system in the current nav setup.

TIME89
09-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Was she saying that the current nav systems will be changed to use Google maps, or was she talking about the navs in the 2013+ models? Seems to me it would be next to impossible to change the mapping system in the current nav setup.

She has no clue what the difference between them.

JohnBoyToo
09-06-2012, 11:15 AM
"3.2 only" --- good one :)
I think they wait until theu destroy your nav completely before they tell you that !

Have to get the Q out of the wife's hands and
will schedule an update and take pics - promise !

This one has burned me on ALL factory navs....

FYI - No change for the pre 13's to google maps...

she was just blowing smoke at that time and got quiet when I said -
oh that's great - google maps on a proprietary carrier for $30 per mth - yeah - that's an improvement !!! both my tablets already have that !

Thunder22
09-06-2012, 07:02 PM
I solved the map update problem on August 20th. I placed an order for a BMW X5 35d.

that's right, good bye POS Audi Nav.

Loved the Q5, put 20k on it in 1 year, it never had a problem.

Q5KCMO
09-13-2012, 06:26 AM
So I just received this in the email from Audi, makes me wonder just how up to date THIS so called update would be.

HaveBullDogWillTravel
09-13-2012, 07:39 AM
So I just received this in the email from Audi, makes me wonder just how up to date THIS so called update would be.
Wow...they suddenly sound SOOOOOO concerned about saving time and fuel and customer's "peace of mind". Where was all this concern for the past 2-3 years?

TIME89
09-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Wow...they suddenly sound SOOOOOO concerned about saving time and fuel and customer's "peace of mind". Where was all this concern for the past 2-3 years?

Expect excellence!