A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Placed deposit...Are Full LED's worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Placed deposit...Are Full LED's worth it?

Just placed a deposit to secure an early Sept. delivery allocation for an A7.

Ice Silver on Black with Natural Ash wood Trim. Prestige and 20" Sport package.

I initially did not include the full LED's, but after one night of tossing and turning, I thought I would regret not having them. The rational part of me says that the normal adaptive Xenon's are more than adequate (I have Adaptive Bi-Xenons on my BMW) and it still includes the LED DRL's...however, looking at the pics, the DRL pattern/design is not the same as the Full LED's...full LED's have a much sexier angle and include 18 LED's, whereas the standard DRL include 12 LED's and the "swoosh" is much flatter.

With that said, I am still on the fence, even though I changed my order this morning...$1400 can buy my winter tires, but I don't want to regret not having those full LED's.

How many of you think that the full LED is a no brainer? I think i still need convincing and my window to change my order again is shrinking.

Cheers.
RoHo3323
Old 06-16-2011, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you drive at night a lot? If not I am not too sure if LED headlights are "worth it" I may be wrong because I never had a car with LED headlights, but if I were you I would check it out at a dealer at night and see the difference for yourself.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Roho - I have the LEDs on my A7 and I think they are great. I didn't even know about the differences in the DRL patterns! They have a great lighting pattern and an additional button called All Weather lights, which are supposed to reduce glare when driving at night in wet conditions. Maybe the other non-LED cars have this button as well. Also, the cornering feature is a fun feature, again, not sure if all A7's have this. The high beams are very bright as well. Mine were part of the Innovation package, not a separate option. Go for it!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bmcds4
Roho - I have the LEDs on my A7 and I think they are great. I didn't even know about the differences in the DRL patterns! They have a great lighting pattern and an additional button called All Weather lights, which are supposed to reduce glare when driving at night in wet conditions. Maybe the other non-LED cars have this button as well. Also, the cornering feature is a fun feature, again, not sure if all A7's have this. The high beams are very bright as well. Mine were part of the Innovation package, not a separate option. Go for it!
My A7 without the LED headlights also have the all weather button, not sure how useful that is.

On a side note, those headlights look really awesome and untraditional. There are 3 separate "lenses" in each housing for the HID. 2 are for the low beams and 1 is for the high beam. How exactly does 1 HID light bulb supply lighting to those 3 separate lenses??
Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Aquarian - Thanks for the update. I guess you would have to have two A7's side by side at night - one with LED and one without to see any differences. Pressing the all weather button "seems" to throw more light directly in front of the car and to the sides, rather than down the road. We have rain predicted all weekend so I will try to play around with it a bit more and give you guys some feedback.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the LED's on my A7, and I don't see a meaningful improvement over the traditional Bi-Xenon's I had on my 2010 Cayman in city night driving. In fact, the "corner lighting" seemed a bit more aggressive and brighter on my Porsche than this Audi. I do not know how it would compare yet at night out in the countryside - I think I understand that the LED's will also vary their pattern and throw based on conditions, which might make them superior where it's dark and there are no city lights to compete.

However, I would agree that aesthetically they absolutely make the front of the car look way better than the light housings for the bi-xenons - much more "futuristic". I kind of feel like the point of the A7 is all the modern tech toys, so I say go for broke and get the latest gadgets!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gavin_gray
I have the LED's on my A7, and I don't see a meaningful improvement over the traditional Bi-Xenon's I had on my 2010 Cayman in city night driving. In fact, the "corner lighting" seemed a bit more aggressive and brighter on my Porsche than this Audi. I do not know how it would compare yet at night out in the countryside - I think I understand that the LED's will also vary their pattern and throw based on conditions, which might make them superior where it's dark and there are no city lights to compete.

However, I would agree that aesthetically they absolutely make the front of the car look way better than the light housings for the bi-xenons - much more "futuristic". I kind of feel like the point of the A7 is all the modern tech toys, so I say go for broke and get the latest gadgets!
Thank you! I think you validated my thought process...not sure if they will outperform the xenons, but the modern/futuristic look of the headlight was causing me to lose sleep.

I did amend my order and added them. Can't wait until Sept.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Please ignore what I wrote previously. I do have the full LED headlights and I didn't realize that until yesterday! My window sticker doesn't say anything about it and the build sheet doesn't either. That explains why I couldn't figure out how they managed to squeeze HIDs in those 3 separate lenses!
Old 06-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aquarian
Please ignore what I wrote previously. I do have the full LED headlights and I didn't realize that until yesterday! My window sticker doesn't say anything about it and the build sheet doesn't either. That explains why I couldn't figure out how they managed to squeeze HIDs in those 3 separate lenses!
I think your LED comes with the prestige package and the FULL LED package is different. They don't give you something for free.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by h3llk1d
I think your LED comes with the prestige package and the FULL LED package is different. They don't give you something for free.
No, the Prestige lights look exactly the same as the regular lights.

The Prestige comes with "adapative" Xenon w/ LED DRL. The only thing different between the Prestige Xenon's and the Premium/Plus Xenon's is that the "adapative" version swivels the xenon slightly as you steer.

aquarian somehow has the Full LED (thats his car below) and he did not get the innovation pkg or the LED package.

Xenon (US Prestige A7):

LED (aquarian's a7):

Last edited by CharlieSlasher; 06-24-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Placed deposit...Are Full LED's worth it?