View Full Version : A Sirius problem (won't activate)

perdido34
04-03-2010, 02:08 PM
My free three-month subscription to Sirius worked fine--no technical hassles. Yesterday, a day or two after the subscription ran out, I called them and activated a subscription, gave them the receiver ID info, etc. The customer service person was nearly incomprehensible (and I am very good at understanding all kinds of accents--not hers).

The Sirius subscription wasn't operative today, so I called them back again, and I ended up with the same person. Now she tells me that I have to go out in my car (which was in my yard), start it up and tune to channel 184. Well, you can't select any Sirius channels on our cars unless the subscription is activated. So the screen continued to show the notice that I should call Sirius to start a subscription. The woman tells me that her screen says my radio has been updated. I tell her no. She asks me if the car is in a clear location--yes, it is. Then she asks me if it's cloudy. I tell her yes, then she tells me that's the problem--even though the Sirius functioned fine when parked on that very spot in a heavy snowstorm.

She had me turn off the car's Bluetooth mode, turn the car off, open both doors(!), restart the car. Three rounds of this and no Sirius.

So, more experienced Audi owners: (a) Is my radio kaput and the Sirius lady handing me a line of B.S. about cloudiness, or (b) should I call her back when it's sunny?

Hobbes
04-03-2010, 06:39 PM
You might try resetting your MMI. It might allow the activation to complete.

Restarting the MMI system (Reset)
You can restart the MMI system and restore full normal
operation by pressing a combination of buttons.

http://www.trick77.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/audi_mmi.png

UmIsThisThingOn
04-03-2010, 11:47 PM
She's feeding you BS. I received a call from them to offer me a 50% off deal after I let the trial expire. I was unable to make sure the activation went through at the time, so I called the 1-800 # on the display a cpl of hrs later. I went through the automated menu to 'activate' my service. It went through w/out a hitch.

perdido34
04-04-2010, 03:40 AM
She's feeding you BS. I received a call from them to offer me a 50% off deal after I let the trial expire. I was unable to make sure the activation went through at the time, so I called the 1-800 # on the display a cpl of hrs later. I went through the automated menu to 'activate' my service. It went through w/out a hitch.

I thought that telling me to open both doors of the car to "reset everything" was BS (but who knows). It reminded me of a Dell tech who told me to pull the power cord out of the machine AND out of the wall "to let out the dirty power."

perdido34
04-04-2010, 08:08 AM
You might try resetting your MMI. It might allow the activation to complete.

Tried it. Didn't help. Today Sirius told me that I should take the car to the dealer for a "hard reset" that takes 30 seconds. Is that different than the MMI reset procedure you suggested?

EDIT: Today the service mgr told me he asked three technicians if they had ever heard of "a hard reset," and they all said no. So I'm bringing in the car tonight.

khmerguy978
04-04-2010, 03:44 PM
I would recommend calling Sirius's 800 number and going through the automated computer prompts. It's how i re-activated my car.

perdido34
04-05-2010, 04:43 AM
I would recommend calling Sirius's 800 number and going through the automated computer prompts. It's how i re-activated my car.

That doesn't work. I tried that. I went to the dealer today and they spent 20 minutes on the phone with Sirius (normally it takes five min, they said). It was something wrong on the Sirius side. Now I have my music package but no traffic.

EDIT: I think Sirius has only one tech person that you get if you call about activating a radio that was installed by the manufacturer. This is the person named Marta that I have talked to SIX times. Finally, everything is working.

HankTenney
04-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Can anyone please help me find the SID number? Sirius can't help me locate it and i can't get it during set up. It doesn't give me the option.
Even with the VIN they can't seem to find it. I see channels 184 and the message call Sirius. The only other things are "No Type" and a combination of letters, numbers and dashes like J --- 0
I din't buy from an Audi dealer so I hope maybe someone has experienced this. Sirius was of no help. It's a 2008 A4 Cab w/o navigation but with tire if this helps. I would really appreciate any assistance.
Thanks so much,
Hank

jbradle7
06-29-2010, 06:46 PM
I had this same thing happen to me today and after an hour of messing around with the SIRIUS people the tech said my radio was faulty... how could this be when it worked perfectly before they cut off my signal? After the whole fiasco I cancelled my subscription. I'm guessing now though if I want the dealer to take a look at it I'm going to have to sign back up before taking the car in to the dealer... I hate dealing with those morons again if I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any suggestions?

ceb7
07-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I had the same problem getting Sirius to "activate". I tried various things and the following finally worked:

1) Start car

2) Turn the radio to Sirius (display shows the "to activate your Sirius call ....")

3) Leave the car running.

4) Log onto Sirius.com with your account/password. Click on the ESN link at the bottom of the page. Click the "Re-Send Activation Signal" link. Check the "check boxes" and then the "send activation request". (Alternatively, you could phone Sirius and have them re-send the signal).

I hope this helps.

-C.

jonnymc
07-02-2010, 02:53 PM
i had the same problem when I re-activated. I tried moving my car, opening doors, resarting the car, etc. Turns out being on my cell phone in the car was causing the interference during activation. The sirius rep promised to resend the activation after we hung up the phone and that did the trick.

ThePiombino
07-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Turns out being on my cell phone in the car was causing the interference during activation

That's intriguing seeing as being on our cells phones doesn't cause interference with the radio at other times. I can't imagine their sending a unique frequency just for activations.

theautoking
01-07-2011, 09:03 PM
TIP:

Do not buy into Sirius's "soft" and "hard" reset troubleshooting suggestions. These methods do not work and result in nothing but frustration on the consumers part as well as possible hefty (and unnecessary) fees for a new factory installed radio that you do not need to replace

If you are having difficulties re-activating your service, do the following:

1. Write down your ESN number for your Sirius Account. (This will be important later)

2. Call Sirius and ask for Technical Support. Tell the representative you have done the "soft" reset and it does not work.
- Make sure your radio is tuned to Ch. 184 and car ant. is not obstructed in any way.

3. Ask the Tech Rep to enter in a "DUMMY" ESN number to your Sirius Account, refresh and then RE-ENTER your original ESN number. Once that has been done, have the technical rep RE-SEND the activation signal.
- According the tech rep I spoke with at Sirius, your ESN cannot be saved in their system and once it is erased it is difficult to locate again. I'm not sure how 'true' that is, but thats the reason for step #1.

4. DONE. no soft resets and no hard resets.

Fortunately for me, I figured this out within 24 hours of reactivating my service with Sirius.

MY STORY: I had a free 1yr trial and did not renew my subscription. A year later (now) I wanted to have the Sirius service again and then I started having problems "reactivating" my service. I don't know the technical side behind why you have to have Sirius put a "dummy" ESN in the system (or zero out your ESN) reenter your original ESN and then resend the signal, but it works. And its the only thing that made sense to me.

I hope this helps everyone who has been frustrated with this.

Mr_Brown
01-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I had the same problem described in this thread and was told by the Sirius Customre Care rep that my "Mostly Music" plan was not compatible with the Audi radio. As soon as the plan was switched to "Sirius Everything", the radio immediately updated and started working. YMMV.

Brian Cecil
01-27-2011, 10:26 AM
I called Sirius a week ago to extend my 3-month trial subscription into a 2-year regular subscription on my 2011 A4. The Sirius rep assured me there would be no break in service (guess where this is going next). The next day, the audio went off, except for channel 184, and I got messages on the MMI screen advising me to renew my subscription. I tried twice to activate the system through their internet site, without success. I called Sirius, was on hold for ten minutes, got dropped out of the call, called back, was on hold for another ten minutes, then spoke to a customer service rep who told me in heavily accented English that I hadn't renewed. I contacted my bank, who told me Sirius hasn't charged my credit account yet for the renewal. I e-mailed Sirius asking them to expidite the credit card process so I can get the radio reception. They still haven't replied -- so much for the message on their Contact Us page, "We'll reply to you within 24 hours." I wish I had enough free time in my life to really enjoy this nonsense, but I don't. This is in complete contrast to my experience with the XM radio on my 2010 Honda, which went seamlessly from the 3-month trial subscription into a regular two-year subscription. Maybe XM is more serious about doing business than Sirius is.

Avant4Adam
01-27-2011, 02:34 PM
the ol' "pay us more money" and we'll fix it! genius!

I had the same problem described in this thread and was told by the Sirius Customre Care rep that my "Mostly Music" plan was not compatible with the Audi radio. As soon as the plan was switched to "Sirius Everything", the radio immediately updated and started working. YMMV.

pilot4300
02-02-2011, 03:22 AM
This is the only way I could get it to work on my 2010 B8. None of that hard/soft reset, open and close the door stuff, etc. worked. Sirius customer service can't seem to grasp the fact that on a B8 you can't tune the MMI to channel 184 when the service is expired.

Unfortunately, Sirius only seems to give you the great subscription deals once your prior one has expired, so I am going to have to get used to this practice.

I had the same problem getting Sirius to "activate". I tried various things and the following finally worked:

1) Start car

2) Turn the radio to Sirius (display shows the "to activate your Sirius call ....")

3) Leave the car running.

4) Log onto Sirius.com with your account/password. Click on the ESN link at the bottom of the page. Click the "Re-Send Activation Signal" link. Check the "check boxes" and then the "send activation request". (Alternatively, you could phone Sirius and have them re-send the signal).

I hope this helps.

-C.

ceb7
02-11-2011, 03:32 PM
<.snip> ... you can't tune the MMI to channel 184 when the service is expired.

I believe when you turn the radio to Sirius (display shows the "to activate your Sirius call ....") that *IS* channel 184.

Mr. Sauce
02-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Has anyone had any trouble renewing their Sirius Traffic subscription after the trial period? I've spent countless hours with Sirius customer service...to no avail. In the current state, I have access to all Sirius audio channels...but when I select the INFO button I don't get any of the traffic data for the Navigation system. I had traffic during the trial period...but Sirius says that there's no "package" that allows me to use a single ESN for both Audio (radio) & Data (traffic) packages. Has anyone had this same experience?

2011 Q5 - Prestige

sketch13
03-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Below is the tip that finally worked! I spent 6 or 7 excruciating calls to Sirius trying to tell me to turn to channel 184 - not possible in my 2010 A4 Avant, all I got was a page saying to call Sirius' 888 number - and the idiots telling me to 'soft' and 'hard' resets. One even told me it was a dealer problem and that I had to take it in. Luckily, I found this post - demanded to talk to a tech rep (not the first person you talk to, but a second level tech) and walked them through the below steps. It fixed the problem immediately. They even gave me a whole five dollar discount on my new account - totally worth the three hours of my life I lost.

Thank you whoever you are that posted this info.

TIP:

Do not buy into Sirius's "soft" and "hard" reset troubleshooting suggestions. These methods do not work and result in nothing but frustration on the consumers part as well as possible hefty (and unnecessary) fees for a new factory installed radio that you do not need to replace

1. Write down your ESN number for your Sirius Account. (This will be important later)

2. Call Sirius and ask for Technical Support. Tell the representative you have done the "soft" reset and it does not work.
- Make sure your radio is tuned to Ch. 184 and car ant. is not obstructed in any way.

3. Ask the Tech Rep to enter in a "DUMMY" ESN number to your Sirius Account, refresh and then RE-ENTER your original ESN number. Once that has been done, have the technical rep RE-SEND the activation signal.
- According the tech rep I spoke with at Sirius, your ESN cannot be saved in their system and once it is erased it is difficult to locate again. I'm not sure how 'true' that is, but thats the reason for step #1.

Fortunately for me, I figured this out within 24 hours of reactivating my service with Sirius.

MY STORY: I had a free 1yr trial and did not renew my subscription. A year later (now) I wanted to have the Sirius service again and then I started having problems "reactivating" my service. I don't know the technical side behind why you have to have Sirius put a "dummy" ESN in the system (or zero out your ESN) reenter your original ESN and then resend the signal, but it works. And its the only thing that made sense to me.

CPS2010
03-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Mr. Sauce, did you ever get your traffic service to work? Couple months ago, Sirius tried to give me that line about needing two ESN's in order to get both traffic and audio services. After much back and forth, it became clear that you can't use one ESN for two "separate" audio and traffic subscriptions. You have to get the audio/traffic single subscription - think they call it "Audio w/ SiriusXM Traffic". Once they changed the type of subscription to that one, everything worked just fine. That is, audio and traffic both worked even though I only have one ESN.

Has anyone had any trouble renewing their Sirius Traffic subscription after the trial period? I've spent countless hours with Sirius customer service...to no avail. In the current state, I have access to all Sirius audio channels...but when I select the INFO button I don't get any of the traffic data for the Navigation system. I had traffic during the trial period...but Sirius says that there's no "package" that allows me to use a single ESN for both Audio (radio) & Data (traffic) packages. Has anyone had this same experience?

2011 Q5 - Prestige

Mr. Sauce
03-26-2012, 11:17 AM
I did actually get the Sirius problem resolved after speaking with Audi North America customer service line. Fortunately now, it all appears to be working well.

Sccpmusc26
07-23-2012, 10:05 AM
TIP:

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheRebbie
07-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Unfortunately, Sirius only seems to give you the great subscription deals once your prior one has expired, so I am going to have to get used to this practice.What kind of deal are they currently offering? The 3 month trial that came with my car is almost up.

uberwgn
07-23-2012, 11:34 AM
so I called the 1-800 # on the display a cpl of hrs later. I went through the automated menu to 'activate' my service. It went through w/out a hitch.

I had success with the 800# number activation routine as well when I re-upped last week. The off-shore telephone rep could not get the activation completed.

I re-upped at $25 for 6 months with some skepticism. I rarely use the Sirius network as the number of commercials and general trash is somewhat overwhelming. Sirius has been a real disappointer.

zulujams
07-24-2012, 06:08 AM
Hey uberwgn! How do you find the reception in your area? You live fairly close to me. Sirius would cut out under every bridge and would lose signal for longer periods on streets with over-hanging trees...even in winter! The wife's Jeep on the otherhand works extremely well in the same areas. I had the same problem on a previous VW. I wrote a letter to Sirius and AoA to summarize the issue. AoA left me a message Friday and I need to return their call. No reply from Sirius. I didn't ask for anything, just gave them feedback on the poor reception. As far as I can tell, the issue is either the radio or the antenna and not my area since the reception in the Jeep is superior to the VW/Audis. Will call AoA back very soon. Just curious if you have had great reception or not.

uberwgn
07-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Sirius would cut out under every bridge and would lose signal for longer periods on streets with over-hanging trees...even in winter!

My car is exactly the same :( I've driven other Sirius-equipped cars and never noticed the common drop-outs.

Kal Rubinson
07-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Mr. Sauce, did you ever get your traffic service to work? Couple months ago, Sirius tried to give me that line about needing two ESN's in order to get both traffic and audio services. After much back and forth, it became clear that you can't use one ESN for two "separate" audio and traffic subscriptions. You have to get the audio/traffic single subscription - think they call it "Audio w/ SiriusXM Traffic". Or you can get traffic only, as I do.

zulujams
07-25-2012, 08:46 AM
My car is exactly the same :( I've driven other Sirius-equipped cars and never noticed the common drop-outs.

Yay! That helps validate my issue, at least to me! Oops, I mean, sorry to hear you have this problem also! There must be others who have this lack of reception, or they don't know how much better it can be. I had a nice chat with an Audi rep in Michigan who apologized for the lack of reception and agreed to pass the feedback on to Audi Engineering. I'm glad to at least know that my voice was heard. There doesn't appear to be a fix for it, and I have no plans to swap out the radio and antenna for aftermarket parts. While Sirius would be nice to have, I'm content with the jukebox, SD cards, and AMI iPod connector. I'm sure many others get great reception elsewhere in the country and in metro areas with ground repeaters. For those who do, enjoy.

SiriusXM
08-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Hi there-

We might need to refresh your signal? Have you tried this? Here's a link on how to refresh it: https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4020/kw/refresh%20signal

If this doesn't help, send us an email with your contact information to sxm_help@siriusxm.com, and we'd be happy to help!

Thanks,
SiriusXM Digital Care Team

Moviela
09-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Hi there-

We might need to refresh your signal?

I wish you could follow those instructions, but Audi multimedia interface does not allow one to tune to channel 184, or any channel if the subscription has lapsed.

There is also a problem with your technology using HEO satellites that leaves some areas unserved when you switch off the transponder as the birds leave the assigned ground track. The ground repeaters in metro areas have been a dismal failure like 4G is for cell phones.

All the kings men, and all the kings horses at Sirius could never get the $800 receiver in my Mercedes to work properly, so I gave up. When the trial in my Audi ended earlier than advertised, I never made a move to subscribe. It is far easier to use a smart phone to play Pandora in the car.

SiriusXM
09-04-2012, 06:23 AM
I wish you could follow those instructions, but Audi multimedia interface does not allow one to tune to channel 184, or any channel if the subscription has lapsed.

There is also a problem with your technology using HEO satellites that leaves some areas unserved when you switch off the transponder as the birds leave the assigned ground track. The ground repeaters in metro areas have been a dismal failure like 4G is for cell phones.

All the kings men, and all the kings horses at Sirius could never get the $800 receiver in my Mercedes to work properly, so I gave up. When the trial in my Audi ended earlier than advertised, I never made a move to subscribe. It is far easier to use a smart phone to play Pandora in the car.

Okay. I'm sorry to hear that. If you wish, send us an email to sxm_help@siriusxm.com with your contact information, and we can reach out to help you. I apologize for the inconvenience you have had with SiriusXM.

zulujams
09-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Good to see SiriusXM representation on the board! Sirius, if you wish, PM me an email address and I'll send you a copy of the letter I sent to your company (addressed to Quality Dept or Customer Complaints or something). I've had the issue with reception from my 2007 Passat and my 2010 S4. I had signed up and cancelled more than once on each between trials and paid services, and each time was the same result. I assume that cancelling and then re-signing would serve the same function as a refresh, but if not you may PM me and we can see what options may exist for us to work together. I think we're just stuck with German radios (or antennas) that don't work well with your signal in certain parts of the US. I've stated this before, but my wife's 2010 Wrangler radio/antenna beats the pants off the VW/Audi's setups with rarely a drop under the same conditions.

SiriusXM
09-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Okay. Could you send us an email with your contact information to sxm_help@siriusxm.com and we can discuss this in more detail over the phone? Thanks!

zulujams
09-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Okay. Could you send us an email with your contact information to sxm_help@siriusxm.com and we can discuss this in more detail over the phone? Thanks!

Hello. I sent an email a moment ago with contact info, a quick summary, and the original letter I sent to Sirius and Audi. The attachment is named Sirius disappointment.doc (sorry, couldn't help myself with the title which may have been influenced by the title of this thread). Thanks for your offer to discuss further.

--Jason

zulujams
09-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Update: I spoke with a SiriusXM rep today. He confirmed that the signal in my area (Mass) is very good. He has not come across any issues lately or in the long haul. We both agreed that the issue is likely with my antenna. He mentioned having the dealership look at it. When I looked into it with the VW, though, the VW dealer said the roof antenna is only accessible through the headliner inside the car (and at my cost since the limited warranty was up at that point). I'm reluctant to pursue a repair so far with the Audi, even under warranty. I'm concerned that the liner won't go back in as good as from the factory. If there was a TSB with a known fix with some dealer expertise, maybe. Without a TSB (or maybe even if one existed), I'd have to sign up again for the service and then have the dealership confirm the issue. For now, I plan to go without SAT radio. I'm happy though that Sirius took the time to listen and evaluate the issue.