A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Airbag Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Warning Light

I have a 2005 3.2 A6. The airbag warning light came on. I'm pretty sure the cause has to deal with the rear seat belt because the warning light came on when I had a passenger put on their seat belt in the back seat. This fits the situation for the TSB 69-06-05. In reading the TSB however it states that it is effective 15 months after its publication which was in October 2006. My car is out of warranty. I plan on bringing the car to the dealership. A couple of questions:
1) Has anyone brought in their car for a similar problem if so was there a charge?
2) Should I be charged if even though there is a TSB that identifys the problem?
3) Is there anything I should say or do to have Audi fix the problem even though my car is out of warranty?
4) Has this TSB expired and I'm out of luck.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had this fixed last year, it was the first time I had adults sit in the back seat and it cost me about $650. The work order says it was the seat belt igniter.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think the rear seat belt might be a coincidence, because I don't believe their is a sensor in the rear seat.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 886 Likes on 725 Posts

There are sensors in the rear seats. The common problem is with the rear right sensor. I had the problem repaired many years ago.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you know someone with VAG COM, ask them to pull the code for you first. If that's not possible, just bring it to the dealer. At least you know that the Airbag light is up because of something in the rear seat. Sometimes, resetting the code is good enough, but when you brought it to the dealer, they will just make you replace the sensor and there gone your money.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi2525
I have a 2005 3.2 A6. The airbag warning light came on. I'm pretty sure the cause has to deal with the rear seat belt because the warning light came on when I had a passenger put on their seat belt in the back seat. This fits the situation for the TSB 69-06-05. In reading the TSB however it states that it is effective 15 months after its publication which was in October 2006. My car is out of warranty. I plan on bringing the car to the dealership. A couple of questions:
1) Has anyone brought in their car for a similar problem if so was there a charge?
2) Should I be charged if even though there is a TSB that identifys the problem?
3) Is there anything I should say or do to have Audi fix the problem even though my car is out of warranty?
4) Has this TSB expired and I'm out of luck.

Thanks for the help.
Need to read airbag fault code first before going anywhere. If you get fault code for any one of the rear seat igniter upper limit exceed, common problem fix is replacing the seat belt.
If your vehicle is out of warranty, there will be a charge for diagnose the problem and there will be a charge for repairing it.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

TSB's are not covereed out of warranty. They just help you avoid diagnosis time.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag Warning Light, Grrrrr!!!!

Hi all, I'm new to Audi and this site. Just picked up a 2005 C6 and got this exact problem a few days ago. My experience was a little different because the day the light came on someone cut me off so I beeped the horn and bam! Air Bag Light on. Could my problem be in the steering column or the rear sensor like mentioned here?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess there's another thread on the subject I replied to, but what did you guys do to get resolution? Mine came on after the first time I had 3 adults in back.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 886 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
I guess there's another thread on the subject I replied to, but what did you guys do to get resolution? Mine came on after the first time I had 3 adults in back.
The problem is probably that the weight for a rear seat sensor was exceeded. If the car is under warranty have the sensor replaced. If the car is out of warranty have the sensor/warning light reset and see if it comes back. If it does then pay to have the sensor replaced. If it doesn't, then leave well enough alone.

Quick Reply: Airbag Warning Light