View Full Version : Transmission Fluid Change?

r1racer
01-28-2010, 05:49 AM
Anyone done a tranny fluid change yet? I see them done for older models but haven't seen one done for the C6.

utripn
01-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Anyone done a tranny fluid change yet? I see them done for older models but haven't seen one done for the C6.

its not recommended, you might create more problems for yourself, just fyi.

RDD
01-28-2010, 11:09 AM
my indy audi shop recommended it (I'm at 56k) but I have not done it so far.

tturner2b
01-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Why did they recommend it? Did you report an issue or did they just recommend it unsolicited?

r1racer
01-28-2010, 11:32 AM
its not recommended, you might create more problems for yourself, just fyi.

I hear a flush can cause problems. I'm talking about changing the fluid (not using special machinery to flush it out).

Can someone confirm that a flush and a simple fluid change are different?

zzz4
01-28-2010, 12:25 PM
I think the recommendation is to drop the pan and do a filter change with the logic being that there will be loose particles after an ATF change that get dislodged and may cause issues. A new filter should catch those.

I am planning to do it this summer on both our cars - they both have 'lifetime' AT fills. I just do not feel comfortable with this proposition because they never specify what "lifetime" means. Lifetime could very well mean "until the AT fails".

r1racer
01-28-2010, 12:47 PM
I too feel like it should be done. Especially after seeing how so many of the C5's had old tranny fluid that looked like metallic paint.

Just don't know if I should do it myself or not. My biggest concern would be the fill (you have to get the temp right for an accurate fill). Also bluaparts.com doesn't sell kits for the C6. I'm wondering why.

I guess I'll just do some more research before I decide whether or not to do it myself or take it to the dealer.

am_ver
01-28-2010, 01:53 PM
I got mine done twice already.

Once at 46k miles using the Blue ATF TSB
Second time at 49k miles when they changed the Torque converter.

I read that after 75k-80k miles you shouldn't bother changing it because the fluid has become slush and changing it could break your tranny.

We have the ZF (GM) tranny's in our car, or atleast in my A6 3.2. I looked up youtube videos on how to change it... seemed hard, but not that hard.

RDD
01-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Why did they recommend it? Did you report an issue or did they just recommend it unsolicited?

They just don't have faith in the so called "lifetime" fluid and have changed the transmission fluid on their own Audis. I have had no issues with the transmission though (*knock knock*).

KevinGary
01-28-2010, 03:14 PM
I had mine changed at 35K miles and will do it again at 70K miles. The transmission manufacturer recommneds getting it changed every 45K miles, even though Audi claims it is lifetime fluid.

Avantt007
01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
wait a minute...i believe the C6 A6 has a sealed transmission and don't need a "flush". Someone correct me here, but I don't believe tranny oil is listed in our scheduled maintenance manual

freefaller25
01-28-2010, 04:23 PM
I had mine changed at 50K and will do it again around 100K. The shop used BG equipment to perform a flush type change (tap into the cooler lines). The final level tweaking was done using their VAC-COM and the Audi procedure. Cost was a little under 300. No problems after 10K miles, and maybe it shifts smoother after but I can’t say for sure. I did have the problem of jumping RPM when coasting with a cold transmission and it was much better after the fluid change. I almost though it went away until it got colder out.

I saw the fluid that came out and it looked terrible (brown and muddy). It did not feel slick when I rubbed it between my fingers. Lifetime fluid means there will be fluid in the transmission when it breaks, not that the fluid will not be a contributing factor to the transmission breaking. Just my 2 cents, I am sure the transmission could drop out of my car tomorrow.

Tony

r1racer
01-28-2010, 04:29 PM
I guess I'll just take it to the dealer and let them do it along with a coolant flush.

Do you guys think at 65k I should even bother (not trying to f^ck anything up) even though the car is under warranty.

RDD
01-28-2010, 07:17 PM
For reference, my audi indy quoted me around $500 for a trans flush.

A6Gary
01-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Only the CVT ATF is listed in the maintenance schedule to be changed at 35K/75K miles. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't change the ATF because the fluid does degrade over time/mileage due to heat, contamination, etc.

oaktreelimb
01-29-2010, 06:06 PM
I had mine changed at 50K and will do it again around 100K. The shop used BG equipment to perform a flush type change (tap into the cooler lines). The final level tweaking was done using their VAC-COM and the Audi procedure. Cost was a little under 300. No problems after 10K miles, and maybe it shifts smoother after but I can’t say for sure. I did have the problem of jumping RPM when coasting with a cold transmission and it was much better after the fluid change. I almost though it went away until it got colder out.

I saw the fluid that came out and it looked terrible (brown and muddy). It did not feel slick when I rubbed it between my fingers. Lifetime fluid means there will be fluid in the transmission when it breaks, not that the fluid will not be a contributing factor to the transmission breaking. Just my 2 cents, I am sure the transmission could drop out of my car tomorrow.

Tony

Little under $300 to flush the transmission fluid in you 2006 A6 Avant? What kind of ATF did they use? To flush your A6 transmission properly, they need to use at least 10 quarts of ATF. The Audi gold ATF for your car is around $30/quart, blue AFT is above $80/quart.
Drain and refill is around 5 quarts.

Brozee
01-29-2010, 07:38 PM
I change it every 100k

mystrodo
02-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I too feel like it should be done. Especially after seeing how so many of the C5's had old tranny fluid that looked like metallic paint.

Just don't know if I should do it myself or not. My biggest concern would be the fill (you have to get the temp right for an accurate fill). Also bluaparts.com doesn't sell kits for the C6. I'm wondering why.

I guess I'll just do some more research before I decide whether or not to do it myself or take it to the dealer.

I'm still not convinced I needed the $80qt blue but I did the change anyway at 41K simply because I'd read the first change is the most important on a *new hydraulic system but I wish I'd had the Audi shop save a vile of it for independent testing. Anyway..here's a ZF link that might be helpful, I've been tempted to ask them about what compatible full syn fluids can be used. My change used about double the fluid for a full clean flush so be prepared...thank goodness it was a TSB that got under the wire. The next change say at 100k might be a completely different fluid and transmission shop. :)
Does anyone have the exact ZF tiptronic 6-sp model #?
http://www.zf.com/na/content/en/import/zf_na/startseite/research_and_development/R___D.html

audi bug
02-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Does anyone have the exact ZF tiptronic 6-sp model #?
http://www.zf.com/na/content/en/import/zf_na/startseite/research_and_development/R___D.html

Mystrodo,
My 06 A6 3.2 Quattro has ZF6HP19A

I was seriously thinking about replacing transmission fluid around 55K but decided not to do it because I am too cheap to spend $1,000 every 50k to 60k. I rather not change the fluid than use non-OEM fluid.

mystrodo
02-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Mystrodo,
My 06 A6 3.2 Quattro has ZF6HP19A

I was seriously thinking about replacing transmission fluid around 55K but decided not to do it because I am too cheap to spend $1,000 every 50k to 60k. I rather not change the fluid than use non-OEM fluid.

Here's a slow PDF regarding OEM ZF Fluid..looks like LifeguardFluid6 Plus for the ZF6HP19A.
http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/import/zf_na/startseite/sso/passenger_car___light_truck/car_driveline/lubrication_and_oil_requirements_/Oil_Reference_Guide_PC_102307.pdf
I've read LG6Plus is a relabled Pentosin brand

If you ever deside to do the change here's a writeup..BMW but basically the same procedure we've got posted here somewhere:
http://forums.5series.net/topic/88129-diy-zf-6hp19z-transmission-drain-refill/page__s__d567e2cb46fe969e6aeb7a78115c22f5

rgarretson
02-05-2010, 10:17 AM
wait a minute...i believe the C6 A6 has a sealed transmission and don't need a "flush". Someone correct me here, but I don't believe tranny oil is listed in our scheduled maintenance manual

Hey guys, I just got back from my mechanic (having rear brakes and oil change done) and he said "you do not change the fluid in the C6 A6 trans" it is a sealed trans with lifetime fluid. These guys are certified top notch mechanics (well known in my area) and said "No" you don't need to do it on these cars. Why do we hear different reports from people in this fourm?

zzz4
02-05-2010, 10:37 AM
It's difficult to comprehend a recommendation of lifetime ATF. There is also a lot of cynicism on what "lifetime" means.

It's pretty much like extended oil change intervals (I still see people recommending oil changes at 1,000 [one thousand] miles on direct injection engines, or people arguing that using 0W-20 oil in Hondas or Fords will kill your engine]. New things like this are unconventional. In 10 years lifetime ATF will be a norm even on cars like Chevrolet and there will still be people who change it every 15k miles.

KevinGary
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Hey guys, I just got back from my mechanic (having rear brakes and oil change done) and he said "you do not change the fluid in the C6 A6 trans" it is a sealed trans with lifetime fluid. These guys are certified top notch mechanics (well known in my area) and said "No" you don't need to do it on these cars. Why do we hear different reports from people in this fourm?

The tranny's manufacturer calls for fluid changes every 50-80K miles depending on driving conditions. Let me tell you I noticed a big improvement in the tranny's performance after I had the ATF changed at 35K miles.

rgarretson
02-05-2010, 04:08 PM
zzz4, you are correct about the fact that there will always be people doing it regardless. I was trying to determine if I needed that type of work done on my car. I hear different responses from everyone and the answer is not quite clear. There is the half saying don't do it and there is the half saying it should be done. I straight up asked my mechanic should I do it and he said it is not necessary nor recommended. That is not to say he is 100% correct because honestly i dont know that is why I asked.

KevinGary... I am also not doubting you on your report of it functioning better for you nor am I telling anyone it should not be done. I just don't know what to believe.

I guess "for me" if it aint broke dont fix it answer will have to do for now.

zzz4
02-05-2010, 06:52 PM
My Z4 is a lifetime fluid, too. I went to the dealer and asked about the fluid change. The service guy said that he did not know about flushes for these transmissions since they are lifetime but when I asked him to check out, he came back with a quote that it's $60 a quart. It was obvious that they do not do these flushes even though it could be a big revenue item. If a dealer does not try to sell you a flush then it's pretty much clear that it's something that is not recommended.

So I am more inclined to assume that it is indeed lifetime fluid no matter how mind boggling it sounds.

KevinGary
02-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Attached is a link to a service guide put out by ZF the manufacturer of the transmission in our Audis. The link discusses that the transmission is designed to be maintenance free. However, it also says that the fluid should be changed every 8 years or between 80,000 kilometers (50k miles)and 120,000 kilometers (75k miles) depending on driving style. Accordingly, Audi's claim of "lifetime" is based on a lifetime of 8 years and 75,000 miles. Personally I inited on keeping the car for longer than 75,000 miles.

http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_InteroeleV2_manager/Work/2010-01-01/TE-ML%2011_en0700.pdf

rgarretson
02-06-2010, 04:57 AM
I intend on keeping my for a long time as well, I will continue to do my research. Mine currently has 83,000 miles. Thanks for you input guys.

mystrodo
02-06-2010, 07:14 AM
If I found a ultra sweet A6 with 40-70K on it..I wouldn't buy it unless (after we negotiated the final price) it had the full flush done. The trannie really is just a big sophisticated hydraulic pump and for the best perforance it needs a first flush after the full break-in period and you'll usually will find ultra fine pieces of metal in the filter, it could end up being your most important (but expensive:( fluid change *if you plan of keeping the car for more then a 100K but a major piece-of-mind concerning one of the most expensive componates on an A6. I know ppl who don't blink at spending 2 grand on just forged wheels. :)

lelandr
02-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum. We recently bought an 06 A6Q for my wife with ~56k on it. I'm working my way through the 55k service and changing the transmission & diff fluids are on my list.

I have seen a lot of posting on a lot of forums about this change and whether or not to do it.

I wonder if anyone who DID do the change sent the fluid off to some place like Blackstone labs to have it tested to see what is actually going on with the oil after xx,xxx miles?

From some of the posts here, it looks as if it would be considerably cheaper to buy the oil through BMW instead of through Audi.

Thanks.

r1racer
07-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Bumpn the old tranny change thread as I'm gonna replace the fluid at my 75k service soon.

Questions:
Where do I get the rteplacement kit and fluid??? I guess the kit includes a new filter, gasket, drain plug o-ring? What else and what fluid should/could I use??? It doesn't have to be the blue 80/qt right? Do I need to specify what tranny I have...thanks. Kev, haven't u done this before?

KevinGary
07-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Kev, haven't u done this before?

I had it done at the dealer so I am afraid that I am not much help. However, I believe that Blauparts has a kit.

mystrodo
07-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Turkeybaster115: ZFLifegaurd6=Ford Mercon SP

He posted what I considered a most informative thread for those DIY'ers running the 6spZF, hopefully he's lurking:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...4#post23944914 (http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...4#post23944914)

As usual, keep us posted r1..it's one thread I don't want to miss.
Without question, fresh hydraulic fluid is needed in all transmissions. If possible, get a sample and have your old juice analyzed, it's cheap and it'll give you a picture of the 70K mark for that ZF (unless it was changed before?)

r1racer
07-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Turkeybaster115: ZFLifegaurd6=Ford Mercon SP

He posted what I considered a most informative thread for those DIY'ers running the 6spZF, hopefully he's lurking:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...4#post23944914 (http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...4#post23944914)

As usual, keep us posted r1..it's one thread I don't want to miss.
Without question, fresh hydraulic fluid is needed in all transmissions. If possible, get a sample and have your old juice analyzed, it's cheap and it'll give you a picture of the 70K mark for that ZF (unless it was changed before?)

Broken link.

mystrodo
07-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Try:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2778513

r1racer
07-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Try:
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2778513

Thanks...think I'm going to stick with OEM though. I found the correct fluid for our tiptronic (G055005A2 or G060162A2) depending on transmission type. ECS tuning & bluaparts sell it among others. Didn't see any kits though so looked up the parts on audiwholesaleparts/ genuineaudiparts. This is what I've come up with so far as far as cost:

Fluid (G055005A2/G060162A2)- 35-50 x 10 = 350-500
Filler tool-14
Pan gasket- 35
Filter- 70
Filter gasket-22
Drain plug washer- 2

Total-493.00-643.00

Installation doesn't appear that difficult. Bentley is saying that you have to remove the crossbar under the pan, a section of exhaust, drain, take the pan off, clean pan & magnets, replace filter and pan gasket, and then just have to install the pan torx screws in the correct sequence and torque them to the right specs. Filling seems easy enough...just have to get the tranny at the right temp for the top off. Gonna go ahead and order and give it go.

mystrodo
07-07-2010, 06:00 PM
r1, do you see a way of getting a sample of the current fluid, loosen the drain plug alittle? I ask because it's only $22 to get a sample analyzed at Blackstone:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard-analysis.php
I'm sure the results would be very revealing especially at your 70K and I'd like to double check mine..I wasn't there and it was a (whew) a TSB @ at 41K...I'd just like to confirm the fluid is relatively fresh and they didn't pull a fast one. ;)

It's going to be so totally nice for you knowing your running fresh *proper hydraulic fluid in that ZF6 -cause you did it-

r1racer
07-08-2010, 05:55 AM
r1, do you see a way of getting a sample of the current fluid, loosen the drain plug alittle? I ask because it's only $22 to get a sample analyzed at Blackstone:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard-analysis.php
I'm sure the results would be very revealing especially at your 70K and I'd like to double check mine..I wasn't there and it was a (whew) a TSB @ at 41K...I'd just like to confirm the fluid is relatively fresh and they didn't pull a fast one. ;)

It's going to be so totally nice for you knowing your running fresh *proper hydraulic fluid in that ZF6 -cause you did it-

You can remove the fill plug and get a sample that way it won't spill all over the place.

Pete@ECSTuning
07-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks...think I'm going to stick with OEM though. I found the correct fluid for our tiptronic (G055005A2 or G060162A2) depending on transmission type. ECS tuning & bluaparts sell it among others. Didn't see any kits though so looked up the parts on audiwholesaleparts/ genuineaudiparts. This is what I've come up with so far as far as cost:

Filler tool-14
Pan gasket- 35
Filter- 70
Filter gasket-22
Drain plug washer- 2

Total-493.00-643.00

Installation doesn't appear that difficult. Bentley is saying that you have to remove the crossbar under the pan, a section of exhaust, drain, take the pan off, clean pan & magnets, replace filter and pan gasket, and then just have to install the pan torx screws in the correct sequence and torque them to the right specs. Filling seems easy enough...just have to get the tranny at the right temp for the top off. Gonna go ahead and order and give it go.

Just to chime in here, you may also want to get new exhaust hardware. They don't take too kindly to re-use if they are reasonably rusty.

r1racer
07-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Just to chime in here, you may also want to get new exhaust hardware. They don't take too kindly to re-use if they are reasonably rusty.

Will keep that in mind. Can you give me a direct link to the part(s) on your site?

Pete@ECSTuning
07-12-2010, 12:38 PM
I'd be happy to. At what flange are you disconnecting the exhaust from?

mystrodo
07-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Wow, I never even considered the exhaust hardware for r1's job although I couldn't locate the web area..good heads-up Chris.

The_Mizarc
07-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Attached is a link to a service guide put out by ZF the manufacturer of the transmission in our Audis. The link discusses that the transmission is designed to be maintenance free. However, it also says that the fluid should be changed every 8 years or between 80,000 kilometers (50k miles)and 120,000 kilometers (75k miles) depending on driving style. Accordingly, Audi's claim of "lifetime" is based on a lifetime of 8 years and 75,000 miles. Personally I inited on keeping the car for longer than 75,000 miles.

http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_InteroeleV2_manager/Work/2010-01-01/TE-ML%2011_en0700.pdf

I think this is a pretty definitive answer Kevin. It is exactly the type of data needed around good forums. I will have mine done during my 65k maintenance routine. Thanks so much

r1racer
07-13-2010, 12:51 PM
I'd be happy to. At what flange are you disconnecting the exhaust from?

Will have to check Bentley to be more specific, but if I recall correctly, it will be disconnected underneath the center front of the car where the exhaust crosses over the trans pan.

mystrodo
07-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Shouldn't be no more questions on whether the fluid is *lifetime..it is not!
Now the Tranny itself should never need a wrench (lifetime) *if it's not abused or not given a fresh fluid transplant at appropriate times.

On the crossover pipe and flanges..they make a special exhaust goop you apply when you reassemble, also.. if the pipe and flanges look solid and no real rust..why not reuse them and just put new bolts on? Chris?

zzz4
07-14-2010, 05:02 AM
I think this is a pretty definitive answer Kevin. It is exactly the type of data needed around good forums. I will have mine done during my 65k maintenance routine. Thanks so much

Good document. Looks like the driving style in both our A6 and Z4 is such that ZF recommendation is to actually change the ATF.

schalliol
07-14-2010, 07:51 AM
I am a novice here, but I'd like to keep my transmission running properly. What recommendation would you have for those of us who want to keep their Audi's running well if we are going to change the fluid by someone else? It sounds like from the thread that this could create problems if done incorrectly, so I would want to know specifically what to ask someone to do. I see the approved lubricants listed but it's unclear what our part number is. Would you go to your Audi deal for this or another location? After a X-country drive next month I'll have a bit over 60k on my 3.2 '05.

r1racer
07-14-2010, 09:43 AM
I am a novice here, but I'd like to keep my transmission running properly. What recommendation would you have for those of us who want to keep their Audi's running well if we are going to change the fluid by someone else? It sounds like from the thread that this could create problems if done incorrectly, so I would want to know specifically what to ask someone to do. I see the approved lubricants listed but it's unclear what our part number is. Would you go to your Audi deal for this or another location? After a X-country drive next month I'll have a bit over 60k on my 3.2 '05.

I'd personally go to the dealer unless you have an indy that really knows Audi. Not sure the diff in price but I can't imagine more than a couple hundred bucks which is well worth it to me.

zzz4
07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I'd personally go to the dealer unless you have an indy that really knows Audi. Not sure the diff in price but I can't imagine more than a couple hundred bucks which is well worth it to me.

I wonder if the Audi dealers will resist. My BMW dealer told me that since it's a lifetime fluid, they will not do an ATF and filter change.

mystrodo
07-14-2010, 12:50 PM
I've never heard of an Audi dealer refusing to change the fluid.

I think the consensus is approx every 70K miles if you want to keep your transmission in it's very best condition.
Print a copy of the ZF PDF Kevin posted, reread this full thread and links then find a better BMW shop.

also, chances are r1racer will soon be doing his own..I'm positive we'll get a glowing report.

The_Mizarc
07-14-2010, 08:41 PM
My Audi Dealer didn't want to do it. I think i will insist on it though when i make my next trip for maintenance. Problem is if I were to use turkeybaster's research and walk in with 10 quarts of the ford branded atf I would lose any chance at a claim later on if a problem did arise. So i am forced to pay for the atf there at the dealer. The only alternative being an independent Audi service location.

mystrodo
07-15-2010, 05:08 AM
My Audi Dealer didn't want to do it. I think i will insist on it though when i make my next trip for maintenance. Problem is if I were to use turkeybaster's research and walk in with 10 quarts of the ford branded atf I would lose any chance at a claim later on if a problem did arise. So i am forced to pay for the atf there at the dealer. The only alternative being an independent Audi service location.

If the fluid is ZF certified what can they say? if your already past any warranty period a reliable *experienced ZF indie (audi/bmw/vw perfered) will work just fine IMO as long as we're convinced they know the proper method. Although z1racer is certainly an above average mechanic (I'm sure you've read his 55K service) he's not afraid of this car and hopefully when he does his he'll more then clue us in. The job is most certainly a competent DIY'er project and not a complicated one if done by the book..lot's of info here and bimmer forums for walk thru's it such as :

http://forums.5series.net/topic/88129-diy-zf-6hp19z-transmission-drain-refill/

Looking at the fluids in the last picture..is there any question these ZF's need alittle TLC?

Jersey John
07-20-2010, 04:00 AM
I had mine changed at 35K miles and will do it again at 70K miles. The transmission manufacturer recommneds getting it changed every 45K miles, even though Audi claims it is lifetime fluid.

KG,

Did you do it at the Stealership or did you have an indy do it? Who did it for you?

KevinGary
07-20-2010, 04:05 AM
KG,

Did you do it at the Stealership or did you have an indy do it? Who did it for you?

I had it done at the dealership.

am_ver
07-20-2010, 03:19 PM

Filler tool-14
Pan gasket- 35
Filter- 70
Filter gasket-22
Drain plug washer- 2

Total-493.00-643.00

When my TQ converter was replaced at the dealer, they put in G060162A2, quantity = 4. genuineaudiparts.com has this for $41.16 per piece. Do we need 10?

Prior to that, a different dealer performed the chirping sound TSB and put in 8 units of G055162A2 - which are at $33.60.

Now I am even more confused on the quantity of fluid required in our tranny.

KevinGary
07-20-2010, 03:31 PM
I believe that it holds 8.

audia6fan
02-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Buump on this... for those that have done this themselves what about the software update? I've found a couple of threads discussing the need to do this depending on what the original fluid was and what you're replacing it with (ie gold to blue).

audia6fan
02-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Also wanted to throw this into the mix for discussion:

http://prayertr.ipower.com/swbgaz/media/Bg$20Universal$20Synthetic$20ATF$20Application$20C hart$5B1$5D.pdf[URL="http://prayertr.ipower.com/swbgaz/media/Bg$20Universal$20Synthetic$20ATF$20Application$20C hart$5B1$5D.pdf"]

audia6fan
02-17-2011, 08:10 AM
http://prayertr.ipower.com/swbgaz/media/Bg$20Universal$20Synthetic$20ATF$20Application$20C hart$5B1$5D.pdf

am_ver
02-17-2011, 10:29 AM
r1, did you change the fluid yet?

seckler17
02-17-2011, 11:54 AM
I recieved a quote from my Indy shop for a transmission fluid change, they are quoting aprox $380 total. Quote included 9 quarts of fluid at $25/qt and about 2 hrs labor. This seems relatively inexpensive considering what I have seen others posted they paid.

Ken F
02-17-2011, 05:09 PM
My Best Friend owns a large Transmision shop and works on many hi-end German cars. He recomemded buying the fluid from the dealer to stay with the same brand. (to avoid mixing types/brands of ATF)

Also good friends with the service manager at the local dealership.
When we were looking at our A6 4.2 we took it there to have them look it over for potential problems. He kind of pulled me aside and said he would strongly advise changing the trans. fluid.

FWIW

Ken

pcamaj
02-18-2011, 07:22 AM
I recieved a quote from my Indy shop for a transmission fluid change, they are quoting aprox $380 total. Quote included 9 quarts of fluid at $25/qt and about 2 hrs labor. This seems relatively inexpensive considering what I have seen others posted they paid.

thats very cheappp... one of the memebrs paid about $800 in th dealer....

beep-beep
02-18-2011, 08:09 AM
thats very cheappp... one of the memebrs paid about $800 in th dealer....

2hr sounds a bit short. I think they will need to take of exausts, replace fluid and then slowly warm it up and check the level.

Robert Schirmer
02-27-2011, 12:26 PM

Filler tool-14
Pan gasket- 35
Filter- 70
Filter gasket-22
Drain plug washer- 2

Total-493.00-643.00

Hey R1,
Did you or anybody ever get around to doing this yet? I need some more work to do and was looking to see if this job sucks or not. ;-)

Bob

r1racer
02-28-2011, 07:12 AM
No I haven't had the time...not sure if I even want to bother at this point but it doesn't seem to hard of a process. The biggest challenge is picking the correct fluid and topping off at the right temp.

Post up if you decide tackle it.

Robert Schirmer
02-28-2011, 09:16 AM
That was my feeling on the right temp is going to be the only pain. I'll post it if I do it.

Bob

And I'll get the fluid from my dealer to be sure.

r1racer
03-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Do your research as they may give you the incorrect fluid or give you one that requires a software update.

Silver42
03-03-2011, 10:13 AM
An ATF change for my 06 4.2 runs about 920. There are 9 quarts required of this part number:

G060162A2 - this is an update to the original fluid that was in the 05 4.2 tranny and he stated that it IS better.

In terms of the repair - - and remember that I trust him implicitly - If you do it correctly - you need to change the fluid 3 times - empty - let it drip overnight - run it “fluidless” a bit to heat it up - fill - empty a few times then fill it with the final batch and replace filter and other things - seal it up.

its a 3 hour operation counting all the fills and dumps. hence the bucks.

Hope that gives you all a bit of information on the procedure.

skyfan
03-13-2011, 10:35 AM
I have changed my gearbox oil. Car was on 75k miles/120k km. My car is A6 Avant 3.0 TDI with green oil. Changed it at audi dealer. So far i do not have any issues after 10k km. Only issues i had was when coming to a stop the gearbox was jerking. Update of gearbox soft fixed the issue.

Robert Schirmer
03-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Has anyone out there done this yet? I'm going to do mine next weekend and can take pic's. Down side is when you take the pan off I'm guessing you will only loose 3 quarts(liters), how do you get the rest out? I guess I have to find out.;-}

Bob

The_Mizarc
03-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Have an appointment next week for 65K maintenance. Just in the last 2 weeks I've notice a bit jerking when slowing down. I usually haven't had any problems with my dealer so far. So forcing the issue shouldn't be a problem.

LT2BLT2A6
03-20-2011, 03:41 AM
[QUOTE=KevinGary;23923077 Audi's claim of "lifetime" is based on a lifetime of 8 years and 75,000 miles.
I am the last person to play maintenance roulette but the ZF recommendation of trans fluid change (if I am reading the attachment correctly) would apply to frequent top-speed highway driving, "spirited" driving, or trailer towing. If Audi recommends the fluid be changed at 8yrs/75k I will certainly get it done at that point but as I have no issues with the performance of my transmission I cannot see any benefit of getting it done sooner.

Robert Schirmer
03-25-2011, 05:05 AM
Hey KG,
Didn't I see where you had the procedure for the refill of the trans somewhere? The Bentley is kind of vague.

Thanks,
Bob

Think I just found it. But if you have anything please let me know anyway. Thx.

bballfreak
03-25-2011, 05:20 AM
ZF that manufactures this ATF fluid used in German Cars like Audi, recommend that fluid change at 60K miles.
I changed the ATF fluid in my 2004 VW Passat (V6), it is a similar setup. You need the Ross Tech cable and it is not that hard to determine how much ATF fluid and to be added when the transmission fluid temperature is at 35F. The old ATF fluid from VW at 42K miles was black. The new ATF fluid was light brown.
I just did this in VW for preventive maintenance.
However, the ATF fluid for Audi is lot more expensive than VW. Original Audi ATF fluid was golden brown, then it changed it to blue and now it has changed it to green, I believe. Cost per quart is like +$40 per quart which is what is stopping me from replacing ATF fluid in the Audi A6.

am_ver
03-25-2011, 09:40 AM
ZF that manufactures this ATF fluid used in German Cars like Audi, recommend that fluid change at 60K miles.
I changed the ATF fluid in my 2004 VW Passat (V6), it is a similar setup. You need the Ross Tech cable and it is not that hard to determine how much ATF fluid and to be added when the transmission fluid temperature is at 35F. The old ATF fluid from VW at 42K miles was black. The new ATF fluid was light brown.
I just did this in VW for preventive maintenance.
However, the ATF fluid for Audi is lot more expensive than VW. Original Audi ATF fluid was golden brown, then it changed it to blue and now it has changed it to green, I believe. Cost per quart is like +$40 per quart which is what is stopping me from replacing ATF fluid in the Audi A6.

please do consider creating a DIY if you replace your ATF!

bballfreak
03-25-2011, 09:52 AM
i will do that.
I may have found cheaper aftermarket atf fluid that is much cheaper and meets the audi/vw standards.

r1racer
04-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Not trying to discourage you but I've read in other forums that you should spend the extra bucks on the audi fluid as other brands caused problems. Please keep us up to date!

minicorrado
04-22-2011, 04:36 PM
is there a diy for this now?
i want to change mine this weekend
thx

bballfreak
04-23-2011, 07:41 AM
I have not done it yet as my X took that car.
However, it is similar to Passat which I did
and the directions were similar except for
the ATF fluid. Two people are required to do this.
This is what you need:
1. Correct ATF fluid for your vehicle. I got
for my Passat aftermarket Pentosin ATF which is
replacement for factory. Now, they had aftermarket
ATF for certain Audi models. Just be careful to make
sure it is direct replacement for the factory.
Factory went thru several revisions. My X Audi took
golden brown fluid which is OK to use, but now they
have green color ATF which is ridculously expensive.
I am told by Audi Techs that I can still use the old
part# fluid and no need to replace with the new part# green fluid.

2. Need exact filter and gasket.

3. 4 ramps and car must be level.

4. Ross Tech cable with software

5. Know the exact fill spec for your vehicle
and I think get 1-2 quarts extra.

6. Drain plug and filler plug are the same.

7. Need like a pump with a tube to pump
ATF fluid back in.
I have the Bahn software that shows how to do this and
I can e-mail it to you.

minicorrado
04-23-2011, 09:41 AM
I have not done it yet as my X took that car.
However, it is similar to Passat which I did
and the directions were similar except for
the ATF fluid. Two people are required to do this.
This is what you need:
1. Correct ATF fluid for your vehicle. I got
for my Passat aftermarket Pentosin ATF which is
replacement for factory. Now, they had aftermarket
ATF for certain Audi models. Just be careful to make
sure it is direct replacement for the factory.
Factory went thru several revisions. My X Audi took
golden brown fluid which is OK to use, but now they
have green color ATF which is ridculously expensive.
I am told by Audi Techs that I can still use the old
part# fluid and no need to replace with the new part# green fluid.

2. Need exact filter and gasket.

3. 4 ramps and car must be level.

4. Ross Tech cable with software

5. Know the exact fill spec for your vehicle
and I think get 1-2 quarts extra.

6. Drain plug and filler plug are the same.

7. Need like a pump with a tube to pump
ATF fluid back in.
I have the Bahn software that shows how to do this and
I can e-mail it to you.

I have the bahn softeware perhaps you could tell the specific section as i could not find it.
i bought 17 liters of g 060 162 a2
so i can flush it
i'm hazy on the procedure for flushing it
do i leave the old filter in till i'm done
some say to run for a few minutes with no oil...not sure i want to do this.
some peeps said u should let the trans drain over night.
ebarn says to drive for 4km about 40km/h to move the oil about
i have a hoist...can i run it at 4ok on the hoist for 4k or do i have to drive it
some peeps have said u have to drop the exhaust too.

thx
Matt

pcamaj
04-23-2011, 12:28 PM
bballfreak,
I And i guess more of us would appreciate a list or more detailed scope of work for the ATF change im planning on doing mine as well but i just want to make sure i do it right. i have 05 4.2 c6 .
would really appreciate it.

happy easter everyone.

PC

mrfreeze
05-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Amsoil ATF can now be used as a replacement for ZF LifeGuard 8/Audi / VW Oil No. G 060162 A1/A2/A6 ATF. Check it out at the Amsoil website. About one third the price of Lifeguard 8.

pcamaj
05-31-2011, 08:20 PM
im having my ATF changed by the dealer with the new (blue) fluid and software update.
the ext warranty is covering the cost $1600, there was a leak in the tranny pan. so i asked them to use the blue fluid and update it too.

hopefully that will solve the unusual acting up of the tranny. will keep you posted...

freshfrompacificrim
06-01-2011, 05:57 PM
im having my ATF changed by the dealer with the new (blue) fluid and software update.
the ext warranty is covering the cost $1600, there was a leak in the tranny pan. so i asked them to use the blue fluid and update it too.

hopefully that will solve the unusual acting up of the tranny. will keep you posted...

What is this software update everyone keeps talking about?? The B7 guys have done the lifeguard8 update but didn't do any tcm update, and they're running fine, so what gives?

pcamaj
06-01-2011, 07:18 PM
What is this software update everyone keeps talking about?? The B7 guys have done the lifeguard8 update but didn't do any tcm update, and they're running fine, so what gives?

There is a TSB about this... As far as that goes if blue fluid is applied u need software and tcm update. If u use the same fluid update is not necessary. I will find out what exactly have they done .... That's all I can tell u ....
P.S update to blue and tcm update is done because mine Is not "running fine"

ProtoFly
09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
OK, looking to do the fluid change on my recently acquired 2005 A6 4.2, 127k miles. Not having problems, but preventative maintenance is a 'good thing'. Asked the local dealer about the service history of my car, to ascertain whether the software update was done or not. Of course, the reply was that 'the transmission is sealed, no service is required'. So, I'm pushing the issue, as the dealer should have service records to indicate whether the software was ever updated.

So, big questions: I'd prefer to do the change of the filter and fluid myself, but obviously the dealer will possibly have to do the software update. Is there much risk in changing the fluid and filter, then driving to the dealer the 23 miles to have them update the software? Or, vice-versa?

Is there a verdict on the various compatible ATF fluids? Lifeguard? Pentosin? Is there an equivalent for the 'original' (orange?) fluid? Seems like scouring the various postings doesn't really reveal a 'definitive' answer..

-Darryl

royclark
09-25-2011, 10:40 AM
The owners manual states that the trans fluid should be changed every 35K

Brozee
09-26-2011, 02:42 AM
You would be fine driving it home. I do find you crazy. In a sense that your not experiencing any issues yet you want to do te software update that requires the ludicrously expensive fluid. Why not do a traditional trans flush with some quality fluid and save your sanity as well as some well earned $$$! If my A8 wasn't experiencing issues I would have changed the fluid much later than I did; if at all. Either way I wouldn't have wanted the expensive route that grants me no positive effects vs. the standard.

And a trans flush every 35k...? Haha.
Please feed the dealer if your that ignorant.

ProtoFly
09-26-2011, 12:57 PM
You would be fine driving it home. I do find you crazy. In a sense that your not experiencing any issues yet you want to do te software update that requires the ludicrously expensive fluid. Why not do a traditional trans flush with some quality fluid and save your sanity as well as some well earned $$$! If my A8 wasn't experiencing issues I would have changed the fluid much later than I did; if at all. Either way I wouldn't have wanted the expensive route that grants me no positive effects vs. the standard.

And a trans flush every 35k...? Haha.
Please feed the dealer if your that ignorant.

Crazy...well, maybe. Since my car has 127k miles on it, I'm just wanting to be sure that I treat it well, for a long life. (It's a new car to me).

That being said, if I could conclusively identify a suitable fluid for the existing software, that would be 'good enough' for me.

The local Audi dealer has taken a position of ignorance on the TSB for the software update, claiming no knowledge of any such software update, and thus far, is reluctant to give me what service records my VIN number may have already applied. That's one of my concerns: If the new fluid has already been used, then I have to stick with that. If not, then I could use whatever the equivalent of the current is.

Arnold K.
09-28-2011, 08:46 AM
The owners manual states that the trans fluid should be changed every 35K

Diesels have totally different transmissions than gasoline A6s.

tartar
10-06-2011, 02:58 AM
I just replaced my transmission fluid and filter this weekend. It wasn't as hard as I originally thought it was going to be. I'm no professional mechanic, but I'm a quick learner. I simply followed this particular online tutorial at Ehow.com.

Step-by-step Procedure:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5000414_change-fluid-filter-audi-quattro.html

I used this kit from Blauparts.com and bought two extra quarts of the same exact ATF at a local NAPA Auto Parts store just in case I run into any problems and was I ever glad that I did. I ended up using 7 quarts total because of some unanticipated spillage.

Audi Automatic Transmission Filter Kit:
http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_fluid/audi_automatic_transmission_fluid.shtml#audiautoma tictransmissionfluidvagtool

So far so good. My A6 has 128,000 miles on it and the ATF has never been replaced. I noticed (I think...) some improvement with the shifting, but I tend to feel this way after every oil change or car wash as well. At least, I know that my ATF and filter will be good for another 50-60K miles. The old ATF that drained out was quite dirty. I'm sure that my tranny feels a lot better now.

Good luck!

ProtoFly
10-06-2011, 05:08 PM
I didn't see a kit for the 2005 4.2 A6. What year is your car?

Mine is now showing signs of the torque converter internal seal going bad. Still have not heard back from the dealer regarding what prior work has already been done. <sigh>

Looking at a 'Precision' converter as a possibility. Will find out tomorrow what the price for it is. Seems like it is going to be a long weekend pulling a transmission out....

I just replaced my transmission fluid and filter this weekend. It wasn't as hard as I originally thought it was going to be. I'm no professional mechanic, but I'm a quick learner. I simply followed this particular online tutorial at Ehow.com.

Step-by-step Procedure:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5000414_change-fluid-filter-audi-quattro.html

I used this kit from Blauparts.com and bought two extra quarts of the same exact ATF at a local NAPA Auto Parts store just in case I run into any problems and was I ever glad that I did. I ended up using 7 quarts total because of some unanticipated spillage.

Audi Automatic Transmission Filter Kit:
http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_fluid/audi_automatic_transmission_fluid.shtml#audiautoma tictransmissionfluidvagtool

So far so good. My A6 has 128,000 miles on it and the ATF has never been replaced. I noticed (I think...) some improvement with the shifting, but I tend to feel this way after every oil change or car wash as well. At least, I know that my ATF and filter will be good for another 50-60K miles. The old ATF that drained out was quite dirty. I'm sure that my tranny feels a lot better now.

Good luck!

tartar
10-07-2011, 04:59 AM
Mine is a 2000 2.8L A6. Here's the ATF & filter kit for your car.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=F2A1007-D

I'm pretty sure that the step-by-step instructions would be identical.

ProtoFly
10-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Mine is a 2000 2.8L A6. Here's the ATF & filter kit for your car.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=F2A1007-D

I'm pretty sure that the step-by-step instructions would be identical.

Not sure that's correct, but I'll contact blauparts to find out. Mine isn't an AllRoad, rather, it's a A6-C6 sedan, which I don't see specifically listed.

Have a quote from Precision Torque Converters to rebuild my unit, new clutches, updated seal, $262.00. They seem to have a very good reputation, and knew exactly what I meant about the updated seal materials.

beep-beep
10-07-2011, 05:01 PM
It's difficult to comprehend a recommendation of lifetime ATF. There is also a lot of cynicism on what "lifetime" means.

It's pretty much like extended oil change intervals (I still see people recommending oil changes at 1,000 [one thousand] miles on direct injection engines, or people arguing that using 0W-20 oil in Hondas or Fords will kill your engine]. New things like this are unconventional. In 10 years lifetime ATF will be a norm even on cars like Chevrolet and there will still be people who change it every 15k miles.

Any Livery or Taxi or police Crown Victoria drives for ~300K around New York. And I did not hear from any of them that they change ATF.

carnut65
10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm planning on bringing the car in for the 65K service and want to have the tranny serviced as well. Dealer is not opposed to doing the work. Wouldn't give me too much definitive info until the get the car up and check the tranny serial #. He did say that it was possible they would only be able to swap fluid but have no option as far as the filter.

Anyone on this thread with a 4.2 that has done this, can you confirm on whether or not filter can be replaced?....thx

Robert Schirmer
10-31-2011, 04:44 AM

I finally got around to doing the trans fluid change(got the parts end of March). Was not a bad job at all. Will write up a step by step with a few pictures in the next weel or so. Want to recheck level and have the wife give me some feed back on any improvement in shifting. One thing I can tell you now, that old oil was getting wore out. The new fluid smelled like rear axle lube with friction modifier just thinner. Did not smell like your typical atf. I am going to send a sample in to get analyzed and will post that with the tutorial.

Bob

haloguy628
10-31-2011, 12:13 PM

As stated in this post. If you are going to keep the car beyond 100K then it's a good idea to change the fluid around 100K and that way it will last till the car has to be scrapped. By dropping the pan, changing the filter and filling to the recommended level using VAG-COM you will not get all the fluid out, you get about 60% changed, but you will get a lot better viscosity and most importantly new filter that will get all the leftovers shavings.

I did the change on my old B5 Passat at 100K and the filter and fluid was full of shavings, brown in color and stank like dead body. The tranny did get crispier shifting, and smoothed out when stopped and in D. I suggest that you get the fluid and the filter yourself and just pay mechanic for the labor if you can't do it yourself.

05whtaudia6
11-22-2011, 07:16 AM
I am going to change my tran fluid also (123k), do you still plan on doing a write up?

I finally got around to doing the trans fluid change(got the parts end of March). Was not a bad job at all. Will write up a step by step with a few pictures in the next weel or so. Want to recheck level and have the wife give me some feed back on any improvement in shifting. One thing I can tell you now, that old oil was getting wore out. The new fluid smelled like rear axle lube with friction modifier just thinner. Did not smell like your typical atf. I am going to send a sample in to get analyzed and will post that with the tutorial.

Bob

Robert Schirmer
11-22-2011, 12:54 PM
I am going to change my tran fluid also (123k), do you still plan on doing a write up?

Yes I did one.

Luis A.
12-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Yes I did one.
Robert, where is the write-up? Can't find it. Thanks.

Robert Schirmer
12-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Robert, where is the write-up? Can't find it. Thanks.

Hey Luis,
hopefully this works. Not too handy with computors, but give me some wrenches and I can screw things up with the best of them!!

Bob
It is posted with pictures on 11-19-2011(?)
So you want to change your trans fluid???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It really isn't the hardest. If you can do brakes with a vagcom you can do this. You will need to get your car up on ramps all the way around. or you can't get it full. I am lucky enough to have a hoist at my work so I lucked out.
Tools:
16mm hex drive
15 or 16mm socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet(can't remember which)
t-27 torx drive on 3/8" & 1/4" ratchet with extensions and 1/4" swivel
t-30 torx drive
gasket
filter
5 liters fluid
pump for fluid
catch pan

Get the car up on ramps and remove the belly pan. Remove the crossmember under the trans. 15 or 16mm socket. Can be tight but will come out.
Now what I didn't do is check to see if I could get the fill plug out. Holy crap was that tight! Use your 16mm hex on this. It has an o-ring but was really tight. If it won't come loose go no farther. No other way to fill it after draining.
Now use your t-30 torx on the drain. You should get about 4-5 quarts out so have a big enough pan to catch the oil.
Now remove all the pan bolts (20+) with your t-27 torx. The 4-5 in the rear of the pan ar a pain to get at and this is were the swivel comes in. An extension with a wobble end will work also.
Take the pan down evenly as not to splash yourself with the resaining trans fluid. Take note of the magnet locations before you remove them to get them clean. Also observe the shape of the fill plug slastic cover. Holes are on the sides to fill through. It was helpfull to practice putting the hose for the bottle pump in to get an idea of what how I needed to do it when it was assembled.
I got lucky as my gasket came off in one piece, no scraping on the aluminum pan gasket rail.
Sorry the crossmember bolt picture is out of order.To be continued.............................
Attached Images

Robert Schirmer
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Robert Schirmer
Send email to Robert Schirmer
Find More Posts by Robert Schirmer
Add Robert Schirmer to Your Contacts

11-19-2011, 04:30 PM #2
Robert Schirmer
AudiWorld Member
Garage is empty, add now

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now remove the trans filter. Pull it straight down. I't won't require much effort. Make sure the seal comes with(it should).
Reverse your order to reassemble. Lube the lip of the seal before installing. Push it straight up.
Put your gasket on the pan and go straight up and start a couple of bolts. Use no sealer on the gasket. Don't want any "blue glue" in your trans filter or fluid. Tighten in a x pattern. I just went around the pan in a circle. I didn't have any leaks so I guess it works. There is a torque spec for the pan but I'm pretty sure most of us don't have a decimal inch pound digital torque wrench. I guess use common sense on how tight is good.
Put the drain plug back in(if you already didn't).
Now the real fun..filling it back up. Snake your hose in to the fill hole of the pan. If you have a friend to help with this step, it would go much easier. The pump I got didn't fit the bottle neck too good. It tipped over one time and I spilled some $40.00 liter liquid gold. You will get about 1 3/4 liters in till it starts running out the fill hole. Don't panic, this is how it goes. Now you start the car for 30 seconds to let it suck the oil out of the pan and into the trans. Shut the car off. Go back to filling it. Should get about 1 1/2 liters in this time. Now you should hook up your vagcom and get to the trans group. I believe it was in the measurements section. It will have a drop down on the right with a box to check for trans temp. Check that and it will pop up on the left side of your screen. Now start your engine and go into each gear up and down for 20 seconds each. Keep an eye on the trans temp. Go back below and add more fluid till it seeps out again. Take your time filling now.The trans temp rises slowly so you have time. It is full when a little still leaks out when the trans temp is between 30-40 degrees C. If you go over on the temp(I doubt you will) shut it off and let it cool. Then start over with the final fill. Put your fill plug back in. I am doing this final fill setp from memory. I did this a month ago and my Eban won't open right now. If it is incorrect I will fix on Monday. I believe I didn't forget any steps. If someone notices a glaring omission, please list a correction.
I would do a road test and let it cool off to recheck. Up to you. Now put your crossmember back on. Put on your splash pan on and your fun is over. Although this only changes 5 liters of a 8-9 liter system, even my wife noticed an improvement in the shifting(so did I). I may do a fluid only drain and fill in a month or so to get more new fluid in it. Would be nice to get all the old fluid out, but then it wouldn't be a diy project anymore. You would need a trans fluid machine with special adapters. All in all not too hard, just time consuming. PM me if you have any questions.

Bob
Attached Images

Luis A.
12-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Hey Bob!

I found your original post with all the pictures, thanks. Now, why in the heck do you think those smart engineers don't place the drain plug on the bottom of the pan so all the oil drains out. There must be a reason.

Robert Schirmer
12-07-2011, 04:31 AM
The remaining fluid is in valves and the bulk of it is still in the torque convertor.

Bob