Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Found S4 for sale, need advice

Old 09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found S4 for sale, need advice

I've wanted an urS for a few years and am finally in a point where it makes sense to get one, and the wife agrees. Considering the rural area we live, I'm preparing to look around the country to find a nice car. Low and behold, the next week advertised in the local trader is a 93 S4. I call on the car and met with the owner yesterday.

The car is pretty nice, not perfect but definitely nice enough, completely stock, 168k miles, 2 owners, current owner 10 years plus, black over tan, no wrecks, no rust, average rock chips on front and windshield, Fuchs are in nice shape, center bumper grill is gone, 4" x 8" shallow dent on left quarter with no paint damage. Interior is very clean, even the drivers seat, a/c and heat work in all positions, seat heaters work, all lights work, sunroof works, left rear power window doesn't work and the right front inside door handle doesn't work.
So far so good, so off for a drive.

Back out of the drive and get into first to head down the road. What's this noise? Noticeably loud first gear whine and the clutch engages at the end of its travel, seems heavy to, the brake pedal pulls slightly to the left when pushing down the clutch. Otherwise car drives great, pulls easily to redline, quiet, no rattles, goes straight down the road, stops well.

Back to the house, talk to the owner about the trans. Clutch is original and has always engaged high, trans always whined but works fine. I told them I needed to research the trans issue before making any decisions. Also advised I would want to take it to a local euro shop for a pre purchase inspection, he was fine with that.

So, a long story for a question about the first gear whine in the original 5spd. I know this is a common problem with the 5spds up to 95.5. What I'm wondering is how long the trans will last when 1st gear starts whining? When determining price for this car should I base it on the car needing a new trans and clutch? If so what does that cost? Searching on here I found many posts of failed 5spds and swaps to 6spds with 6spd sources and costs. What about 5spds? What should I expect to pay for a reman'd 5spd and where are they available?

My initial plan was to buy an already modded car from an enthusiast, as I will want to mod it anyway. Finding this car in my backyard is very appealing, but I would need to get it for a fair price to make it worthwhile. Seller is asking $3800. I asked if he was flexible if the car needed a trans or other major work, he said make an offer.

Thoughts, opinions, criticisms? Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Will this car be your daily? Sounds to me like the clutch is on the way out (can get so heavy that the pedal breaks off.......many documented cases of this here).........and that 1st gear whine would concern me. Sure it's an issue with pre 95.5 cars but w/ 168k miles it may be close to needing a rebuild.

Either way........unless you can do a lot of work youself you should be prepared to spend some bucks if trans and clutch need to be done. Any pictures of the car? With the description you've provided I sure wouldn't offer him close to asking. Any documented receipts for work done? Could also need timing belt and a bunch of other stuff. Good idea to have it looked at. Good luck.........but if it were me......I'd keep looking. Some VERY nice examples can be had pretty darn cheap these days.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Run far away....................
Old 09-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What is raising the red flag for everyone with this car?

Let me point out that I'm not in a big rush to get a car, so I want to find a nice one.

Having said that, I was thinking this car is nice, no accidents, no rust, clean interior, pretty clean exterior. Seller claims timing belt/water pump/etc are current, we are waiting on records from the shop.
I guess I was thinking that assuming the maintenance is up to date, the car would be a good buy for around $2000. Spend another $2000 on the trans and clutch and any other minor stuff and have a nice car with a new trans/clutch for $4k. What am I missing?
Old 09-04-2009, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default sounds reasonable... but

If you aren't familiar with these cars then I'd have a shop that is look it over... look for power steering leaks as some of the hoses are $$$.
Also hows the under carriage any rust anywhere?
For 2-2.5 K with a budgeted clutch and trany seems fair if the rest is clean.

But... the mod bug requires significant cash outlay once you get going down the slippery slope... might be cheeper to find a nicely modded example for 2x the price of this one - you'll be WAY ahead on the $ side.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Poorhouse
What is raising the red flag for everyone with this car?

Let me point out that I'm not in a big rush to get a car, so I want to find a nice one.

Having said that, I was thinking this car is nice, no accidents, no rust, clean interior, pretty clean exterior. Seller claims timing belt/water pump/etc are current, we are waiting on records from the shop.
I guess I was thinking that assuming the maintenance is up to date, the car would be a good buy for around $2000. Spend another $2000 on the trans and clutch and any other minor stuff and have a nice car with a new trans/clutch for $4k. What am I missing?
If you think the seller will take almost 50% less than asking I think you're right......not a bad buy if there are no other surprises.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lots of good advice.

I'm going to think it over for a few days.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen this one in Columbus, Ohio and have met the seller you may want to see his S4 link provided

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1356967399.html

His name is Brandon - give him a shout
Old 09-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Officaly declined on the car today.

I'm actively looking if anyone is selling or comes across something.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Thunderbox
I have seen this one in Columbus, Ohio and have met the seller you may want to see his S4 link provided

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1356967399.html

His name is Brandon - give him a shout

Just got an e-mail back from him with some pics.
Car looks very nice. All the big maintenance stuff done. I'm very leary of buying a midwest car with a good sized rust spot showing on the fender though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Found S4 for sale, need advice