A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

When coming to a stop, feels like the car is about to stall

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When coming to a stop, feels like the car is about to stall

Has anyone experienced this issue? Just before coming to a complete stop, the car feels like the engine is about to stall. Is it an Audi thing? Very annoying feeling. Just bought the car, 09 Audi A4 - Premium Plus - Automatic. Any ideas?
Old 08-31-2009, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are you sure it isn't just tiptronic down-shifting into first? Usually I notice/feel the engine braking when it does this. I haven't had an automatic in 12 years, so I guess I was a little sensitive to the feeling at first.

Originally Posted by will_ucf
Has anyone experienced this issue? Just before coming to a complete stop, the car feels like the engine is about to stall.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone experienced this issue? Just before coming to a complete stop, the car feels like the engine is about to stall. Is it an Audi thing? Very annoying feeling. Just bought the car, 09 Audi A4 - Premium Plus - Automatic. Any ideas?
I experience that from time to time. It does feel like it is going to stall. I have the p+ auto, quattro.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Buckeye96
I experience that from time to time. It does feel like it is going to stall. I have the p+ auto, quattro.
Not sure what it might be on an Audi, but I had a similar issue on my Volvo where just before coming to a stop, the RPMs would drop to about 400-500 for a couple seconds before coming back up to ~1.1k. Engine would struggle, felt like it was going to stall, but never actually did.

I had the throttle body either cleaned or replaced (forget which) but that took care of the problem, and it's been running just fine for the 3 years since.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SilverA4
Are you sure it isn't just tiptronic down-shifting into first? Usually I notice/feel the engine braking when it does this. I haven't had an automatic in 12 years, so I guess I was a little sensitive to the feeling at first.
Thanks, i haven't even tried the tiptronic mode yet. This happens while in Drive on the auto. Other issues I've noticed is that the key fob gets stuck and won't come out after pressing it in to turn the car off. You have to turn the car back on and try it again, giving it a second after the car turns off before pulling the key fob out. Then, there is also noticeable vibrations while driving. The car only has 170 miles on it. Talk about buyers remorse.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cparson
Not sure what it might be on an Audi, but I had a similar issue on my Volvo where just before coming to a stop, the RPMs would drop to about 400-500 for a couple seconds before coming back up to ~1.1k. Engine would struggle, felt like it was going to stall, but never actually did.

I had the throttle body either cleaned or replaced (forget which) but that took care of the problem, and it's been running just fine for the 3 years since.

Good post, I'll have to look at the RPM gauge as I come to a stop and see if that looks to be it. Maybe it is dipping low and climbing back up. I'll also try the tiptronic mode to see if there is a difference.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, i haven't even tried the tiptronic mode yet. This happens while in Drive on the auto. Other issues I've noticed is that the key fob gets stuck and won't come out after pressing it in to turn the car off. You have to turn the car back on and try it again, giving it a second after the car turns off before pulling the key fob out. Then, there is also noticeable vibrations while driving. The car only has 170 miles on it. Talk about buyers remorse.
There's a locking mechanism on the keyfob that takes a half a second to release after shutting off the engine, I don't think you need to restart every time, just pause before pulling the key out. And there's supposedly a TSB coming out in a month or so regarding the vibrations (see this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2760267).

Sorry to hear about the buyer's remorse... I'm still debating whether or not to pull the trigger myself.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

My friend (Gregshin on the forums) just got an Audi A5 with the tiptronic. He was having this same exact problem until about 400 miles. I guess it's a normal thing where the ECU is figuring some things out when you're first breaking it in. I say if it's still happening after 500-600 miles to talk to your dealer.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've had the same issue with my S4 that is a week old. But on the second day of driving, the issue was less prevalent. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm hoping as the car breaks in more and the ECU learns my driving style it'll be a non-issue
Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Good Post

I will be watching this thread carefully. I just brought home a 2010 A4 Quattro a few weeks ago. Just today, I was concerned about the same question. Is this normal? Audi thing? Something that needs adjustment?

Regards,
-- plA4keeps

Quick Reply: When coming to a stop, feels like the car is about to stall