Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Newbie "what's it worth" question 282k!?!? help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie "what's it worth" question 282k!?!? help!

I am considering this car and plan to see it over the weekend. Here is the ad for the car and at the bottom is the owners reply to my initial questions. Any ideas/opinions on what this car is worth?

1995 Audi S6 - $4500
Attention Audi lovers: Well cared for, limited production Audi S6 sedan. 1995, 5 cylinder turbo, 5 speed manual transmission, black exterior, black leather interior. Mileage 282K. Mechanically in great condition and drives like a dream.

OVERVIEW:
The ride: a true pleasure/thrill to drive - smooth, no rattles.
Recent work: New clutch and flywheel, head gasket replacement, valves, newer shocks / struts in front, all hydraulic lines tight and recently replaced, all coils have been replaced.
Status report: Burns no oil and does not leak any fluids. Wheels near perfect looking with tires @ 40% wear, brakes @ 50 % wear. All drive train parts tight, boots no tears.
The look/extras: Interior near perfect condition, little signs of wear, no tears. Exterior no rust. Heated seats, sun roof, Bose stereo system.
Gas mileage: 20 city, 26 highway
Well cared for: Audi family, up-to-date service, always passed inspection, non smoker, clean car freak. Never in an accident and garaged most of its life.
Maintenance: always done by long time trusted Audi mechanic - can be contacted if seriously interested.

THINGS TO KNOW:
- Digital temperature indicator on central console goes out sporadically, but operational.
- Minor dings and buffed out dent in driver’s side rear panel.
- No CD in trunk.

HISTORY OF CAR:
My father purchased the car over 10 years ago from the original owner. He owns 7 cars, including 4 classics, and this is his favorite auto. I purchased the car from him in’06 when he found an identical model with lower miles. I love this car and will miss the performance, now that it’s time for the family car.
---
and her reply to my initial questions

Hi there Drew. Still for sale. Independent mechanic (Audi only) - Ushers out of Auburn and one-time Ming's of Boston. I have records for the last few years. I purchased the car from my father who likely could pull additional info. He took the car to Ushers as well and my mechanic could be contacted if seriously interested.

Original books and keys. No paint work. AC very cold. One of the seat heaters in the back is out and the status indicator (OK, displays radio station) on the dash sometime delays on start-up, that's it. Only oil used is full synthetic 10-30, every 3,000 (have most changes on record, but have also done a few myself).

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Andrew
Old 08-27-2009, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

too much
Old 08-28-2009, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, the price is a little high. The mileage is pretty high, and though these cars hold up incredibly well, I imagine the turbo is about done, and the head might need to be rebuilt as well.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the replies... the 64,000 question!

So what would be a fair offer for this car, provided it checks out? I plan on bringing the "buyers guide checklist" I found on this site.

I wanted to see what the seller's low number is and she told me no lower than $4,000.

I offered (pending actually seeing the car) $2800. (to much?)

Thanks for the help! Selling my wife on me buying a car with 282,000 miles is TOUGH>

AND... at 282k what should I look for on the maintenance records? turbo replacement? head work? and??

THANKS!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Check the turbo for shaft play (pull intake hose and wiggle with your fingers.) There should be none. Also do at least a compression check. A leak down test would be better, but the equipment is harder to find. Make sure to do either when the engine is warm, as close to operating temp as possible.

282k is a lot even for the 20vt. If it were me I'd be looking for a lower mileage example, especially at that asking price and a stated firm $4k. Even if you can get it much cheaper the potential issues associated with the high miles could easily wipe out any potential savings. If the compression/leak down is good and the rest of the car is solid and well maintained you still have to worry about rod/main bering wear.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the tips ThetaTau

So hypothetically lets say the compression is good, turbo has no play.
What do you think assuming the car is rust free, accident free, no paint work, well serviced as they say it is. Is it worth? How much does it cost to remanfacture a S6 engine?

THanks
Andrew
Old 08-28-2009, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I wouldn't bother. For $4500 you could find something with 170k. I thought the main problem at these sort of miles was the lower end--that you would lose a rod bearing at some point.

Read this post from not too long ago

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=23766385

Also, there was a guy selling a 95 S6 with 170k on it, all records from new in Acton--not too far from the car you are looking at. He was asking $3900. He said it was going to cash for clunkers if it didn't sell.

I think the people with the 282k car are nuts. No one who doesn't know Audis is going to touch that car. And those who do know it aren't going to pay that much.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks Alpina...

I agree $4700. is over the top. But what about $2800.?

What would be the worst case $$$$ should the low end **** the bed? Can the engine still be rebuilt?

Thanks

Andrew
Old 08-28-2009, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Rebuild is $$$$. Junkyard motor $1500+, or take the slippery slope route: spin a bearing, rebuild with upgraded rods, pistons, turbo, head work, etc. $20,000 later you have a 400whp monster.

I'd also be concerned with other things with that sort of mileage: how are the subframe bushings after 282k miles? electrical stuff? when will the rain tray break? etc. Every piece on that car has twice as many starts, bumps, turns, windows going up and down, etc. as a car with 141k.

Why not print all these responses up, bring it to them and offer $2000? I might be able to justify paying that much. Let them sit on it for a while. It's not going anywhere.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Alpina THANKS!

Ok I will see if I can get it for closer to $2000. At least my offer's first number is a 2...

I spoke to the mechanic who serviced the car since 1997. He told me the TB, water pump, head gasket, clutch, flywheel were all replaced within the last 10k miles. I figure she has shelled out a good chunk of cash in the last year and she is hoping to recoup some of those funds.

Excellent point about all of the other items that wear and fatigue in 282,000 miles.

$20,000 for 400hp! that's alot of coin to end up with a 300,000 mile car that could bring $1500. on CL. LOL

I will see what happens the seller and I are in wait and see mode.

Thanks again,
Andrew

Quick Reply: Newbie "what's it worth" question 282k!?!? help!