Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Car broken into....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car broken into....

So I was in Chicago for a job interview, and some jackass smashed the passenger front window out of my 95 Avant, stole my 3 week old Macbook Pro (1300 bucks), my 15" Cintiq ($800-900), my digital camera, my video gamera, my USB drive, my pocket knife, and my toiletry bag. Over $2000 worth of stuff, gone.

I already replaced the window.... but... few things here.

1. My armrest is now bent, as he climbed over the seats to get to the back. Is there a way to tighten it somehow? It feels "loose".

2. I had everything covered under my security shade... guy still broke in. I'm thinking about removing my 3rd row seat, and building a 'secret trunk' area. Anyone done this?

3. My alarm never went off. Why? My window was smashed out! He never opened doors, but he did turn on the dome light. Shouldn't the alarm have gone off????!?!

4. Tint. Need some pictures of tint with your thoughts. I'm going to get my car tinted with my next paycheck.

5. Anybody upgraded their security system? The stock IR key sucks anyway... I'd like something badass, with motion sensors, and somethign that will go off if someone smashes a window and turns on a dome light.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yikes. why would you leave all that stuff in your car in the first place?
I'd NEVER trust my car parked with all that loot in it even if I had a fort knox security system for my car.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this. It's a bit why my cars are most of the time completely empty and I never leave precious stuff in them except if I can see the car all the time.

Originally Posted by Cash68
1. My armrest is now bent, as he climbed over the seats to get to the back. Is there a way to tighten it somehow? It feels "loose".
There is a Allen (6mm i think) screw hidden by a small cap inside the armrest where was the phone. I would remove the armrest (unscrew the Allen) and look at the parts to find any damage.

Originally Posted by Cash68
3. My alarm never went off. Why? My window was smashed out! He never opened doors, but he did turn on the dome light. Shouldn't the alarm have gone off????!?!
There is no sensors for broken glass on those old cars nor for the dome light being opened even with the system armed.

Remember that this alarm is VERY basic stuff.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It'd be worth having all that stuff stolen if you had just caught him in the car.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'd be in jail.

Originally Posted by alpinab7
It'd be worth having all that stuff stolen if you had just caught him in the car.
Just sayin'. I've had stuff stolen from me before, and this would have been the last time he would have been able to do anything.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I was there for an interview

Originally Posted by Chapel
yikes. why would you leave all that stuff in your car in the first place?
I'd NEVER trust my car parked with all that loot in it even if I had a fort knox security system for my car.
And I currently do freelance product design, so I need to take my equipment with me. It happened very early, about 20 ft away from a business party with plenty of people outside. Nobody noticed. It's amazing. I never leave anything in it overnight, but I was at a business function.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the armrest is attached by a loooooog bolt - it's probably just bent. pretty simple to just unscrew.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

loosely adapted from... what movie???
Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not even loosely!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you take out the third seat bottom, and remove the "lid" over the spare, there's a lot of room back there. I had a full sized spare, and still had that area full of spares, tools, and extra's. More rool if you stick with the donut. FWIW.

Quick Reply: Car broken into....