Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

May have blown my head gasket??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May have blown my head gasket??

I had that cheap plastic tee fitting behind the engine (on heater hose) fail last friday and overheated the engine. I caught it right when the temp. gage rose above normal and shut it off but it was still pretty hot by the time I got her shut down. Spent $25 for that plastic tee and replaced the fluid etc. Now the car is hard to start after it sits for a long time. It runs just fine otherwise. I need to drive it a few more days and see if it is loosing any coolant but does not look like it is. When starting cold it stumbles and misses like it is only firing on 2 or 3 cylinders. Once it runs it clears out. I am wondering if coolant is leaking into the cylinders? No signs or wite exhaust or exhaust in the coolant. I also have the 1.8 Coils so I'm wondering if I could have fried one or two with the heat? Any ideas?
Old 07-28-2009, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

White smoke/steam out the tail pipe? Coolant mixed with oil? Pull the spark plugs and look for coolant in the cylinders. Compression test. etc. etc. etc.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes I've confirmed it. Loosing coolant, air bubbles in coolant, coolant smells like exhaust, got white smoke in the mornings, if I take the cap off the coolant reservoir to relieve the pressure when hot it starts right up in the morning.

All I can say is anyone who gets the coolant warning should stop the engine right away. I waited until the temp. gauge moved off of its normal position and apparently this was too late.

One shop here in the Denver area quoted me $2000 to do the head gasket and another $800 for the timing belt - ouch - guess I'll be doing it myself!!

Can anyone suggest a good source for a head gasket and such? I am due a timing belt too so that will be going in as well.

TIA
Old 07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

autohausaz probably has the cheapest price on the HG set. Might also consider ARP headstuds instead of new head bolts.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Blauparts has a great deal on timing belt kits and they rent the required tools. ARP studs are 3x OEM bolts, not really worth it unless you plan to have the head off or need the added strength.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not a bad job and can be done in a weekend if you have all the parts and the right tools on hand. Besides the specialy tools you'll need a large 12 point bit for the head bolts (forget what size)

The Bently has a very good step by step for head removal and timing belt.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ThetaTau87
Blauparts has a great deal on timing belt kits and they rent the required tools. ARP studs are 3x OEM bolts, not really worth it unless you plan to have the head off or need the added strength.
You can get the parts cheaper than blau. The arp head studs pay for themselves
if you ever have to remove the head again new head bolts = $60+
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-204-4704/
Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just curious...

Originally Posted by a911sc
Yes I've confirmed it. Loosing coolant, air bubbles in coolant, coolant smells like exhaust, got white smoke in the mornings, if I take the cap off the coolant reservoir to relieve the pressure when hot it starts right up in the morning.

All I can say is anyone who gets the coolant warning should stop the engine right away. I waited until the temp. gauge moved off of its normal position and apparently this was too late.

One shop here in the Denver area quoted me $2000 to do the head gasket and another $800 for the timing belt - ouch - guess I'll be doing it myself!!

Can anyone suggest a good source for a head gasket and such? I am due a timing belt too so that will be going in as well.

TIA
What shop in the Denver area? Also, $800 extra for the timing belt while already doing the head? -That is a rip-off, considering there is not that much extra work involved in doing that job while the head is off.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UrSobsessed
What shop in the Denver area? Also, $800 extra for the timing belt while already doing the head? -That is a rip-off, considering there is not that much extra work involved in doing that job while the head is off.
It was Autosports Werks up in Broomfield which from searching around here on AW they were highly recomended. Maybe they do good work but apparently are pricey. I think I'm going to do the head myself but have not started it as of yet. I've done heads on other cars (and motorcycles) and timing belts - just am a little apprehensive with the 20V complexity etc.