Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Odd Headlight Issue - 93 UrS4 (Canadian model)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Headlight Issue - 93 UrS4 (Canadian model)

Hey guys,
First post and all, but I searched and couldn't find something that fell into what I'm looking for.

My headlights don't work.

Now, almost everything else does, tails, brakes, turn signals, dash, and while I searched I saw guys mentioning AC and stereo issues but mine is fine. The fogs (lower of the two focused beams), rear fog and main headlights all do not turn on.

So, since this is a Canuk car (that's in Hawaii now) she still has the DRL's, but the upper of the two focused beams are always on acting as DRL's.

Couple details:
- Ignition switch is only about a year old
- Blubs all checked out when I pulled them, getting an AutoCheck blub alert from a plate light wedge bulb thats toast

My question: what am I misisng? Is there a specific fuse that would do this or a relay somewhere?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

The upper focused bulb is the low beam headlight, from the sounds of what you're saying that does come on with the car on? Are you saying they turn off when you turn on the headlights?

The lower bulb is the fog lights, they only come on with headlights on, low beam mode, foglight switch on dash depressed.

Canadian spec cars turn on all the exterior lights when in DRL mode (dash lights will be off), so markers and tails will be on as well as the low beams.

I guess I may have reiterated some of what you were saying, but I'm just trying to get more clarification....

Last edited by speedtek; 07-17-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree that Canadian UrS4 DRLs = low beam (= upper Hella Projector) on and tail lights and side marks on ALL THE TIME. When you turn the headlights on, the low beams get a bit more power (than the DRL setting) AND the foglights will work.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
Agree that Canadian UrS4 DRLs = low beam (= upper Hella Projector) on and tail lights and side marks on ALL THE TIME. When you turn the headlights on, the low beams get a bit more power (than the DRL setting) AND the foglights will work.
I'm going to have to disagree about the low beams getting reduced power for the DRL function. This is a phenomenon for cars that use the high-beam for the DRL afaik (think GM/Chrysler...). Conversely, my car could just be broken and Dave is still right *poke*.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well guys, I think I sorted it out. Yes my low beams were turning off when I'd turn on the headlights, sorry if I didn't clarify that originally. I found another thread about disabling the DRL's, as after digging around in the wiring I disabled them, now all is well again, lows, highs, fogs front and rear, all working now. Not sure what was up with it, maybe something inside the long orange connector for the DRL's went bad.
Now, to fix the shuddering, replaced plugs, reclamped the breather box hoses, thinking a torn IC pipe or a bad POS at this point....
Old 07-20-2009, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ICE RCKT
I'm going to have to disagree about the low beams getting reduced power for the DRL function. This is a phenomenon for cars that use the high-beam for the DRL afaik (think GM/Chrysler...). Conversely, my car could just be broken and Dave is still right *poke*.
Sorry dude, Dave is correct on this one. The Low beams on Cdn spec cars get a slightly reduced power in DRL mode. I have noticed on both my S6 vehicles that the low beam gets brighter once you turn the headlight switch on. It's not a huge amount, but it is noticeable.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I had to check my DRLs today just in case I was wrong

I usually run with my fogs on with my low beams so when I turn my headlights on, there is a big(ish) difference. Checked today after turning the fogs off. Yes, as I thought, there is a difference (20 to 30%?) increase on the low beam intensity between DRL and headlights on.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by speedtek
Sorry dude, Dave is correct on this one. The Low beams on Cdn spec cars get a slightly reduced power in DRL mode. I have noticed on both my S6 vehicles that the low beam gets brighter once you turn the headlight switch on. It's not a huge amount, but it is noticeable.
I'd have to take my HIDs out to check for myself... My fogs are almost always left on so I suppose I wouldn't have noticed a difference regardless. I'm happy to take your word for it! (Dave's too, I was operating under an ASSumption...)

Question: Anyone have any thoughts regarding potential long-term effects on the ballasts if they're seeing reduced power until the lights are switched on?

Further, can any correlation to be made regarding problems with HID kits on DRL versus non-DRL equipped cars?