Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

I just finished the in dash vent servo r/r

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just finished the in dash vent servo r/r

And wanted to say: WHAT A PITA!!!!! Took me about 5 hrs, with only 1 alcoholic beverage consumed.

I guided myself by 4N 4RING's writeup here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...+console+flaps

I have no pics, however I will add a few things that I'd fins useful:

Center console: not-easy, start from the back, 2 screws under front seats left -right holding the cover between the seats, have to move seats ahead to see screws. Center console cover: two screws under the trany shift cover, two screws at the left and right of the row of buttons (fogs, rear defrost, etc), which screws are hidden under the blanks covers at each end of the buttons, two screws in the central vent (after pulling the vent cover), they are transversal, not longitudinal with the car; not sure if two more screws are under the wood trim around the climate control; pry this cover from the ashtray up, lift it and you access the screws. You do not need to disassemble the radio, climate control, ashtray, etc from the main bracket. You need only to pull the cover over the bracket (which cover encloses the sides) to access the connectors of the motors. One connector is red, the other blue.
Disconnect the vents going to the back of the car and the vent at the passenger side, under the airbag, going to the side vent. The duct opposite to the one under the pass side airbag should also be removed for a little better access.
Disconnect the blue and red connectors and pull the motors assembly out. To do so, unscrew on each side one vertical screw (holding the assembly) and one horizontal screw (holding the motor arm to the flap arm). On the driver's side (red) remove the horizontal screw, then remove the linkage from the airbox ****, otherwise you will be looking for the vertical screw forever. The space is very very tight, I used a 3/8" #2 phillips screwdriver bit, because even the stubbiest of the screwdrivers would not fit. Luckily, these screws were not tightened with an impact gun, so it was relatively easy to remove them.
Pull out the assembly (a long tray like with the motors). Each motor is enclosed in a protective case (same as the motor under the hood).Be careful while removing the servos, because the linkages are pretty fragile and the servo being stuck in one position did not help. You have to align the notch on the servo with the cutout in the linkage to get it out. I just gently pried the servo over the tray lip and luckily nothing broke. One interesting thing that I found is that the knuckles on both linkages were very hard to move by hand, I used some degreaser first, then I soaked them in white lithium grease.
The installation was relatively painless, except the rear console because the duct just refused to go back over the vent (rear passenger vent that is), so I ended up removing the cover plate that surrounds the rear seat heater switches, then there are 2 screws underneath, I removed them and then when I tried prying the whole vent/switch assy, I broke the top center attachment stub...When I reinstalled everything, it went back no problem and stays in there pretty snug, so no problems.
Also, be patient reassembling the ducts as it can get tricky to seat the ducts properly in such a tight space.

That's it, I am happy cuz after a year of having no center vent air coming in and intermittent windshield/footwell action, I got my CC back!