Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Gas gauge stuck on empty.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas gauge stuck on empty.

Well if its gonna go wrong its gonna go wrong for me. That's the way I've been feeling. Today I let my tank go way down and then after I filled up .."beep" ...still outta gas. Looks like the gauge is stuck. Freek'n great! Gonna go hit some good old Michigan roads tomorrow on my trek to work. Maybe ill get lucky.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like the resistance wire at the bottom of the sending unit in the tank broke,
Old 06-29-2009, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, sending unit is toast. Filled the tank up today and its still stuck on empty. I may just say f#$k it and use the trip, but I don't know how long I can stand the beep and the gas pump flashing on the dash. Anybody know where I can get one for cheep? Best I found is $175.00.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For a cheap "fix" pull the sending unit out of the tank, you'll find the broken wire
down near the bottom of the unit, twist the wires together tight.

Gas gauge will show more gas than you have when low but it'll still work.

Less cheap fix, find out what the resistance for teh wire is and replace the wire.

Chris
Old 06-30-2009, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

That exact thing happened to me today.
Well, to be honest it started about a year ago when no matter how much I would fill up the tank (read spilling gas on the ground full), the gauge would only show slightly higher than 3/4 full. Then, about a week ago, my wife took the car shopping and she said that when she parked, the gauge showed 1/4 tank and in a couple hrs when she started the car again, the needle was even below the 3 red lines of EMPTY. I filled up with gas that same day and the light stayed on as well as the warning, however after 10 minutes of driving, they indicated normally.
Today, while driving the needle just dropped from half way, warning came on and not even 2 minutes later they came back...
Old 06-30-2009, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hay thanks for the tip but got in the car this morning and its working again. WTF! But by the sounds of ROCCO's problem my luck isn't going to last. The sending unit is going. It's only a matter of time. So gonna keep using the trip just to be on the safe side. Don't think I should really trust the gauge.
Also, as my gas gauge started working again, my turn signals starting acting up. Turning the switch left or right made all four markers go off like i had my hazards on. Drove my 63 miles to work like that. So all morning I'm kinda ticked.
Well like the gas gauge, went out for lunch, and they were working again. Again, WTF!
Man I tell ya, it's a good thing these cars are fast and fun to drive or I'd be out. I don't need this added stress.

Who am I kidding, I love this dam car.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Your igition switch is dieing.

Suggest you replace it as per this procedure:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=18927576
Old 07-01-2009, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yup, it,s the switch.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by UrS4boy

You might as well do your fuel pump while you're in there. or at least check the pickup to make sure it's not clogged.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UrS4boy

I have an issue where my turn indicators, HVAC controls, and the outside temperature gauge don't work when I start my car (it's completely random - I have found no way to reproduce the problem consistently - it's around every 5th or 6th time I start my car).

Could this be a failing ignition switch as well?

Quick Reply: Gas gauge stuck on empty.