Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Front license plate holder

Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Front license plate holder

Hi everyone, i just received my Audi Q5 w/ S-Line Package (Quartz Gray) from Washington to Hawaii.

When I received my car there wasn't any front license plate holder. I called my dealer and my dealer told me that some cars come with one and some without one and he stated that S-Lines don't come with one. Should I call Audi of America to confirm this because on Edmunds and other websites, they can include a front license plate holder. I would go to my local dealership and ask for one but since I didn't buy it from them, they would probably charge me a lot for the part and installation ( I wouldn't want to pay for it, if it should be included in the car.)

Lastly, is there a way I can turn off the predicted text for the Navigation? For example when scrolling for and address, some letters fade and some don't. I would like to turn off that feature.

Will post pictures soon!

Thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

can you post some pictures of your Q5? I am waiting on my quartz grey to arrive some time this month but I have not actually seen a Q5 in quartz grey yet.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has nothing to do with the model (s-line vs anything else). Has everything to do with how the car is ordered. In California, they all come with the license plate holders because it's the law. I had to order a new from bumper strip that houses the license plate holder. It's a completely different piece. If it's the law in your state, they have to give you the proper piece. Tell them you want it ordered, shipped and installed for free. If they tell you that the s-line doesn't come with it, tell them they're full of sh*t. It's the law in many states, so they have to have the option of one.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Has nothing to do with the model (s-line vs anything else). Has everything to do with how the car is ordered. In California, they all come with the license plate holders because it's the law. I had to order a new from bumper strip that houses the license plate holder. It's a completely different piece. If it's the law in your state, they have to give you the proper piece. Tell them you want it ordered, shipped and installed for free. If they tell you that the s-line doesn't come with it, tell them they're full of sh*t. It's the law in many states, so they have to have the option of one.
p.s. I don't think you can turn off the predictive text in NAV. But, I can assure you that there is no need to turn it off. If it turns off the letter, that means there is no street with that spelling in the system. It only turns of letters if there isn't one in the system. Just because you leave all the letters up doesn't mean it will find a street. In other words, turning off predictive text won't make a bit of difference. If the street doesn't exist in the system, it doesn't exist.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just called Audi of America, the representative told me if the dealer ordered it without a front license plate holder, they are not obliged to give me a front plate holder if it is not required in their state or county (I bought the car from Washington State, is it required to have it there?)

Does anyone know how much installation and the part would be?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audiq5_808
Just called Audi of America, the representative told me if the dealer ordered it without a front license plate holder, they are not obliged to give me a front plate holder if it is not required in their state or county (I bought the car from Washington State, is it required to have it there?)

Does anyone know how much installation and the part would be?

Thanks
I did the opposite. I had the holder and got one without. It was around $170 for the part and my dealer installed it for free.

And yes, it is the law in Washington State to have a front license place. But I think it has to do with the state in which you live, and I believe it is also the law in Hawaii, no? Either way, they owe it to you.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

State by State Listing of License Plate Requirements:
Alabama
If you live in Alabama, the “Heart of Dixie”, your state laws only require you to display one license plate on the rear of a passenger vehicle.
Alaska
Alaska license plate laws require motor vehicles to display two license plates.
Arizona
Only rear license plates are required for passenger vehicles in this Southwest state.
Arkansas
The A's have it - Arkansas state law only requires passenger vehicles to display one official license plate, leaving the front free for a customized license plate.
California
Currently, California law requires that all passenger vehicles have a front and rear license plate, but citizens are banding together in order to have the front license plate requirement revoked.
Colorado
Like in California, there have been efforts in Colorado to repeal the law requiring a front plate. However, Colorado law still stipulates that all passenger vehicles display two plates.
Connecticut
For passenger vehicles, Connecticut requires two license plates, one in front and one in the rear.
Delaware
Lucky Delaware drivers are only required to post one license plate in the rear of their vehicle, leaving the front free for a customized novelty plate!
Florida
Florida license plate laws require that the license plate be conspicuously displayed only on the rear of the car.
Georgia
Georgia is another state which only requires one license plate, which must be prominently displayed on the back of a car.
Hawaii
Hawaii license plate laws require two license plates on passenger vehicles – one on the front of the car and another to the rear.
Idaho
Passenger cars in Idaho require two license plates, while motorcycles, tractors, and trailers only need to display one on the rear of the vehicle.
Illinois
Illinois license plate laws require that vehicles display one license plate on the front, and one on the rear.
Indiana
While Indiana license plate laws stipulate exactly where a license plate goes (on the front for motorcycles, trailers, and semi-trailers; the rear for all other automobiles) state laws only require one plate for residents in the Hoosier state.
Iowa
License plate laws in Iowa state that all vehicles must display two license plates, one in front and one in the rear.
Kansas
All vehicles that are registered in Kansas are issued at least one license plate, and Kansas state law requires only one license plate to be displayed at the rear of the vehicle.
Kentucky
Kentucky law only requires a rear plate to be displayed on passenger vehicles.
Louisiana
Drivers in Louisiana are only required to display one plate – on the rear of the vehicle – for a passenger car.
Maine
All vehicles in Maine must display two licenses, one in front and one at the rear of the vehicle.
Maryland
Maryland drivers must conspicuously display one plate in the front and one in the rear of a passenger vehicle.
Massachusetts
Massachusetts was one of the first states to require license plates on vehicles. While many states no longer require the use of a front license plate, Massachusetts recently changed their state laws to require drivers use two plates, one in front and one in the rear.
Michigan
Michigan drivers are only required to display one plate at the rear of their vehicle by Michigan State Law.
Minnesota
Vehicles in Minnesota are required by state law to display two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.
Missouri
Missouri license plate laws stipulate that all passenger vehicles are issued two plates, to be displayed conspicuously in the front and rear of vehicle.
Mississippi
Mississippi is another state that does not require the use of a front plate. A single rear license plate is all that is stipulated by state law.
Montana
While the big sky state once set their daytime speed limits to "reasonable and prudent," their license plate laws are a little more stringent, requiring drivers to display both a rear and front plate. Decals , magnetic car signs , and vehicle lettering are all still permitted.
Nebraska
Passenger vehicles in Nebraska are required to display both a front and rear license plate.
Nevada
Nebraska license plate laws require motor vehicles to conspicuously display two plates, one in the front of a vehicle and one in the rear.
New Hampshire
New Hampshire license plate laws require that license plates be displayed at all times. Vehicles are required to display two plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.
New Jersey
The Garden State, which happens to be JavaSigns.com's home state, issues two license plates to all registered automobiles, and New Jersey license plate law stipulates that both must be displayed on a vehicle – one in front and one in the rear.
New Mexico
New Mexicans are only required to display one rear license plate by state law.
New York
New Yorkers are required by New York license plate laws to display two license plate on their passenger vehicles, one on the front and one on the rear.
North Carolina
North Carolina license plate laws only necessitate the use of one license plate, displayed so it can be seen from the rear of the vehicle.
Ohio
License plate laws in Ohio require the use of two license plates for passenger vehicles, displayed so they can be clearly seen from the front and the rear of the vehicle.
Oklahoma
Oklahoma only requires one license plate to displayed on the rear of all registered passenger vehicles, so residents of the "Sooner State" can display a custom plate demonstrating their individuality.
Oregon
The Beaver State requires that all drivers conspicuously display two license plates, mounted in the front and rear of a passenger vehicle.
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania license plate laws only require that one license plate be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, leaving those in the Keystone State free to display a customized novelty plate on the front of their vehicle.
Rhode Island
Rhode Island license plate laws currently require two plates, but many residents refuse to comply with the front plate requirements. However, passenger cars lacking a front plate will still be cited for violating license plate laws.
South Carolina
If you live and drive in South Carolina, you are only required to display one plate on the rear of your vehicle.
South Dakota
In South Dakota, drivers of passenger vehicles are required to place plates on both the front and rear of their cars.
Tennessee
Tennessee law only stipulate the use of a rear license plate, so if you live in Tennessee, feel free to make a statement of your individuality, right on your vehicle!
Texas
Texas license plate laws require the use of two license plates, one on the front of the vehicle and one to the rear. However, Texans are notorious for their state pride, which can be expressed through window or vehicle decals, car magnets, or even vehicle lettering.
Utah
Utah license plate laws require each and every passenger have vehicle two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.
Vermont
Vermont requires passenger cars to display two license plates on their vehicles, securely fastened to the front and rear of the vehicle. Decals , magnetic car signs , and vehicle lettering are all still legal in this state for lovers.
Virginia
Residents in the Old Dominion are required by state law to clearly display two license plates, one to the front and one to the rear of each car.
Washington
Washington state license plate laws require all registered passenger vehicles to have two license plates, one for the front and one for the rear.
Washington
State of Washington requires all registered passenger vehicles to have front and rear license plates.
Washington DC
In order to operate or park a vehicle on any public street, drivers must display two license plates horizontally on the front and rear of every vehicle. Tags must be visible and not obstructed in any way, but a customized license plate holder does not violate any regulations.
West Virginia
West Virginia license plate laws only require that a rear plate be displayed.
Wisconsin
Wisconsin state laws require the use of two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.
Wyoming
Wyoming license plate laws require that all registered vehicles being driven on public roadways secure two license plates, one on the front, and one on the back of the vehicle.
US Territories, Including: Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam
U.S. territories Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam do not require an official front license plate.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just talked to my dealer, he told me I would need to pay $250 if i wanted a front license plate holder, I said that it was also required in his state and my state. He said since they didn't order it with one and it doesn't come in with the S-lines, I would need to pay for it! That's just BOGUS!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just talked to my dealer, he told me I would need to pay $250 if i wanted a front license plate holder, I said that it was also required in his state and my state. He said since they didn't order it with one and it doesn't come in with the S-lines, I would need to pay for it! That's just BOGUS!
He's wrong. Complain to Audi USA. They'll take care of it.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I smell a phone call to BBB!!!!
and local DMV department.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 Front license plate holder