View Full Version : Q5 Front license plate holder

audiq5_808
06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi everyone, i just received my Audi Q5 w/ S-Line Package (Quartz Gray) from Washington to Hawaii.

When I received my car there wasn't any front license plate holder. I called my dealer and my dealer told me that some cars come with one and some without one and he stated that S-Lines don't come with one. Should I call Audi of America to confirm this because on Edmunds and other websites, they can include a front license plate holder. I would go to my local dealership and ask for one but since I didn't buy it from them, they would probably charge me a lot for the part and installation ( I wouldn't want to pay for it, if it should be included in the car.)

Lastly, is there a way I can turn off the predicted text for the Navigation? For example when scrolling for and address, some letters fade and some don't. I would like to turn off that feature.

Will post pictures soon!

Thanks

fonseca_Q5
06-05-2009, 04:17 AM
can you post some pictures of your Q5? I am waiting on my quartz grey to arrive some time this month but I have not actually seen a Q5 in quartz grey yet.

FitzLA
06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Has nothing to do with the model (s-line vs anything else). Has everything to do with how the car is ordered. In California, they all come with the license plate holders because it's the law. I had to order a new from bumper strip that houses the license plate holder. It's a completely different piece. If it's the law in your state, they have to give you the proper piece. Tell them you want it ordered, shipped and installed for free. If they tell you that the s-line doesn't come with it, tell them they're full of sh*t. It's the law in many states, so they have to have the option of one.

FitzLA
06-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Has nothing to do with the model (s-line vs anything else). Has everything to do with how the car is ordered. In California, they all come with the license plate holders because it's the law. I had to order a new from bumper strip that houses the license plate holder. It's a completely different piece. If it's the law in your state, they have to give you the proper piece. Tell them you want it ordered, shipped and installed for free. If they tell you that the s-line doesn't come with it, tell them they're full of sh*t. It's the law in many states, so they have to have the option of one.

p.s. I don't think you can turn off the predictive text in NAV. But, I can assure you that there is no need to turn it off. If it turns off the letter, that means there is no street with that spelling in the system. It only turns of letters if there isn't one in the system. Just because you leave all the letters up doesn't mean it will find a street. In other words, turning off predictive text won't make a bit of difference. If the street doesn't exist in the system, it doesn't exist.

audiq5_808
06-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Just called Audi of America, the representative told me if the dealer ordered it without a front license plate holder, they are not obliged to give me a front plate holder if it is not required in their state or county (I bought the car from Washington State, is it required to have it there?)

Does anyone know how much installation and the part would be?

Thanks

FitzLA
06-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Just called Audi of America, the representative told me if the dealer ordered it without a front license plate holder, they are not obliged to give me a front plate holder if it is not required in their state or county (I bought the car from Washington State, is it required to have it there?)

Does anyone know how much installation and the part would be?

Thanks

I did the opposite. I had the holder and got one without. It was around $170 for the part and my dealer installed it for free.

And yes, it is the law in Washington State to have a front license place. But I think it has to do with the state in which you live, and I believe it is also the law in Hawaii, no? Either way, they owe it to you.

TIME89
06-05-2009, 11:41 AM
State by State Listing of License Plate Requirements:
Alabama
If you live in Alabama, the “Heart of Dixie”, your state laws only require you to display one license plate on the rear of a passenger vehicle.
Alaska
Alaska license plate laws require motor vehicles to display two license plates.
Arizona
Only rear license plates are required for passenger vehicles in this Southwest state.
Arkansas
The A's have it - Arkansas state law only requires passenger vehicles to display one official license plate, leaving the front free for a customized license plate.
California
Currently, California law requires that all passenger vehicles have a front and rear license plate, but citizens are banding together in order to have the front license plate requirement revoked.
Colorado
Like in California, there have been efforts in Colorado to repeal the law requiring a front plate. However, Colorado law still stipulates that all passenger vehicles display two plates.
Connecticut
For passenger vehicles, Connecticut requires two license plates, one in front and one in the rear.
Delaware
Lucky Delaware drivers are only required to post one license plate in the rear of their vehicle, leaving the front free for a customized novelty plate!
Florida
Florida license plate laws require that the license plate be conspicuously displayed only on the rear of the car.
Georgia
Georgia is another state which only requires one license plate, which must be prominently displayed on the back of a car.
Hawaii
Hawaii license plate laws require two license plates on passenger vehicles – one on the front of the car and another to the rear.
Idaho
Passenger cars in Idaho require two license plates, while motorcycles, tractors, and trailers only need to display one on the rear of the vehicle.
Illinois
Illinois license plate laws require that vehicles display one license plate on the front, and one on the rear.
Indiana
While Indiana license plate laws stipulate exactly where a license plate goes (on the front for motorcycles, trailers, and semi-trailers; the rear for all other automobiles) state laws only require one plate for residents in the Hoosier state.
Iowa
License plate laws in Iowa state that all vehicles must display two license plates, one in front and one in the rear.
Kansas
All vehicles that are registered in Kansas are issued at least one license plate, and Kansas state law requires only one license plate to be displayed at the rear of the vehicle.
Kentucky
Kentucky law only requires a rear plate to be displayed on passenger vehicles.
Louisiana
Drivers in Louisiana are only required to display one plate – on the rear of the vehicle – for a passenger car.
Maine
All vehicles in Maine must display two licenses, one in front and one at the rear of the vehicle.
Maryland
Maryland drivers must conspicuously display one plate in the front and one in the rear of a passenger vehicle.
Massachusetts
Massachusetts was one of the first states to require license plates on vehicles. While many states no longer require the use of a front license plate, Massachusetts recently changed their state laws to require drivers use two plates, one in front and one in the rear.
Michigan
Michigan drivers are only required to display one plate at the rear of their vehicle by Michigan State Law.
Minnesota
Vehicles in Minnesota are required by state law to display two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.
Missouri
Missouri license plate laws stipulate that all passenger vehicles are issued two plates, to be displayed conspicuously in the front and rear of vehicle.
Mississippi
Mississippi is another state that does not require the use of a front plate. A single rear license plate is all that is stipulated by state law.
Montana
While the big sky state once set their daytime speed limits to "reasonable and prudent," their license plate laws are a little more stringent, requiring drivers to display both a rear and front plate. Decals , magnetic car signs , and vehicle lettering are all still permitted.
Nebraska
Passenger vehicles in Nebraska are required to display both a front and rear license plate.
Nevada
Nebraska license plate laws require motor vehicles to conspicuously display two plates, one in the front of a vehicle and one in the rear.
New Hampshire
New Hampshire license plate laws require that license plates be displayed at all times. Vehicles are required to display two plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.
New Jersey
The Garden State, which happens to be JavaSigns.com's home state, issues two license plates to all registered automobiles, and New Jersey license plate law stipulates that both must be displayed on a vehicle – one in front and one in the rear.
New Mexico
New Mexicans are only required to display one rear license plate by state law.
New York
New Yorkers are required by New York license plate laws to display two license plate on their passenger vehicles, one on the front and one on the rear.
North Carolina
North Carolina license plate laws only necessitate the use of one license plate, displayed so it can be seen from the rear of the vehicle.
Ohio
License plate laws in Ohio require the use of two license plates for passenger vehicles, displayed so they can be clearly seen from the front and the rear of the vehicle.
Oklahoma
Oklahoma only requires one license plate to displayed on the rear of all registered passenger vehicles, so residents of the "Sooner State" can display a custom plate demonstrating their individuality.
Oregon
The Beaver State requires that all drivers conspicuously display two license plates, mounted in the front and rear of a passenger vehicle.
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania license plate laws only require that one license plate be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, leaving those in the Keystone State free to display a customized novelty plate on the front of their vehicle.
Rhode Island
Rhode Island license plate laws currently require two plates, but many residents refuse to comply with the front plate requirements. However, passenger cars lacking a front plate will still be cited for violating license plate laws.
South Carolina
If you live and drive in South Carolina, you are only required to display one plate on the rear of your vehicle.
South Dakota
In South Dakota, drivers of passenger vehicles are required to place plates on both the front and rear of their cars.
Tennessee
Tennessee law only stipulate the use of a rear license plate, so if you live in Tennessee, feel free to make a statement of your individuality, right on your vehicle!
Texas
Texas license plate laws require the use of two license plates, one on the front of the vehicle and one to the rear. However, Texans are notorious for their state pride, which can be expressed through window or vehicle decals, car magnets, or even vehicle lettering.
Utah
Utah license plate laws require each and every passenger have vehicle two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.
Vermont
Vermont requires passenger cars to display two license plates on their vehicles, securely fastened to the front and rear of the vehicle. Decals , magnetic car signs , and vehicle lettering are all still legal in this state for lovers.
Virginia
Residents in the Old Dominion are required by state law to clearly display two license plates, one to the front and one to the rear of each car.
Washington
Washington state license plate laws require all registered passenger vehicles to have two license plates, one for the front and one for the rear.
Washington
State of Washington requires all registered passenger vehicles to have front and rear license plates.
Washington DC
In order to operate or park a vehicle on any public street, drivers must display two license plates horizontally on the front and rear of every vehicle. Tags must be visible and not obstructed in any way, but a customized license plate holder does not violate any regulations.
West Virginia
West Virginia license plate laws only require that a rear plate be displayed.
Wisconsin
Wisconsin state laws require the use of two license plates, one in the front of the vehicle and one in the rear.
Wyoming
Wyoming license plate laws require that all registered vehicles being driven on public roadways secure two license plates, one on the front, and one on the back of the vehicle.
US Territories, Including: Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam
U.S. territories Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam do not require an official front license plate.

audiq5_808
06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I just talked to my dealer, he told me I would need to pay $250 if i wanted a front license plate holder, I said that it was also required in his state and my state. He said since they didn't order it with one and it doesn't come in with the S-lines, I would need to pay for it! That's just BOGUS!

FitzLA
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I just talked to my dealer, he told me I would need to pay $250 if i wanted a front license plate holder, I said that it was also required in his state and my state. He said since they didn't order it with one and it doesn't come in with the S-lines, I would need to pay for it! That's just BOGUS!

He's wrong. Complain to Audi USA. They'll take care of it.

TIME89
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I smell a phone call to BBB!!!!
and local DMV department.

phxflyboy
06-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I also did the opposite. Mine came with the holder, I didn't want it. I ordered the replacement strip, $150, and the dealer said they'd install it for free. It just came in and I have an appt next Thursday. I'll sell you my holder if you'd like!

phxflyboy

audiq5_808
06-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Here's an update:

I will call Audi of America and inform them that a front license plate holder is required in the state of Washington, which means that it should have come with one and I shouldn't have to pay for it. If my dealer argues that I would need to pay for it I will let Audi of America handle it because it's the law in that state.

Today, I went to my local gas station and in Hawaii we have to do safety checks every 6 months or so, they were unable to give me my safety check sticker because there was no front license plate.

Will post pictures once I'm finish with this dilemma.

"phxflyboy" How much are you selling it for, but first let me Audi of America handle it, if they are unable to help I'll buy it from you.

Thanks

RCM09
06-07-2009, 03:46 AM
It's amazing how different dealerships handle things like this. I told my dealership that I don't have a front license plate and they took the license plate holder off and put the filler plate in without having to pay for it. After reading some of the stories I feel lucky to have a decent dealership.

Waitzar
06-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey audiq5_808, which dealer in Washington State did you buy your Q5 from?

TIME89
06-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Hey audiq5_808, which dealer in Washington State did you buy your Q5 from?
I was learn from old timers that good relationship with service adviser as important as good relationship with mother-in-law.
That why I "bribe" my BMW guy every my visit with small presents. Don't need to begging for soft. update . :p

audiq5_808
06-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I bought the car from Robert Larson Porsche Audi

Here's an update:
Audi of America emailed the manager and he forwarded it to my sales guy. My sales guy called me asking me if I complained. I simply informed him that I called Audi of America because I believed that I shouldn't pay for a front license plate holder and that it should have came with one since it's the law in the state of Washington. An estimate for parts and installation would have been around $250 to $300.

He said that they just ordered the part for the front license and they will have it sent to me via Fedex Overnight and will have it installed also (I'm assuming it will be free).

What sucks is that I'm also buying another car from them, a Mobility Van (Dodge). He could have saved me the trouble from calling AOA and just sent one to me. I'm giving them my business.

Also, I'm still waiting for my iPod cable that didn't come with the car. I informed a day or 2 after I received the car, he stated that he didn't send it with the car because he didn't want it to get "stolen." What's funny is that he brings it up after i ask him where it is.

rdp42
06-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Picking up my new Q5 this Friday. Re - license plate holder - I am located in PA (no front plate required). My question is some pics of the Q5 seem to show a all black plate holder going accross the front grille. Others show the same black pate holder with two chromelike horizontal bars.

What do I get? Nothing because of PA; all black; or black with chromelike horizontal bars?

phxflyboy
06-14-2009, 10:22 AM
audiq5_808,

I see you got your license plate issue taken care of, so I guess you don't need mine. If anyone else need/wants a front license plate holder let me know. I'll make a smokin' deal for you.

phxflyboy

Q5ncal
06-16-2009, 06:10 PM
phxflyboy,

I may need front license plate holder, do you still have it.

thx

phxflyboy
06-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Yes I do, PM me and we'll talk.

phxflyboy

kleinbus
06-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Finally got mine...

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc171/muddygsa/Audi/IMG_3560a.jpg

phxflyboy
06-17-2009, 09:55 PM
kleinbus,

Kind of hard to tell in your pic but it does not look like you have the front sensors on yours. Does the plate filler have the holes for the sensors? The reason I ask is because I may be selling my license plate holder and it has the sensor holes. Just curious if they all have that or if there are actually two different holders.

phxflyboy

NikoR
06-17-2009, 11:25 PM
audiq5_808

Any chance of some pics of your Q5 ? i ordered Quartz grey as well and I haven’t seen too many good pics on the web, i would appreciate if you can help me out :)

Thanks

kleinbus
06-18-2009, 04:16 AM
kleinbus,

"...front sensors"
phxflyboy

Cars with sensors have different panel part number, looks same but with sensor locations. First panel was weird as box showed non sensor part number but in the box was panel with sensors so they had to re-order and finally I got mine.

Though as I wanted plain black S-line (normal is with 2 crome stripes) I had to modify panel to make it go to the grill as S-line grill holes are bigger than normal...

phxflyboy
06-18-2009, 12:15 PM
OK, thanks, good to know about the sensors. I had assumed, apparently incorrectly, that all Q5's had the sensors. I'll make sure whoever I sell my license plate holder to has the sensors.

phxflyboy

FitzLA
06-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Cars with sensors have different panel part number, looks same but with sensor locations. First panel was weird as box showed non sensor part number but in the box was panel with sensors so they had to re-order and finally I got mine.

Though as I wanted plain black S-line (normal is with 2 crome stripes) I had to modify panel to make it go to the grill as S-line grill holes are bigger than normal...

Interesting that yours does not have the silver stripes like mine does. Maybe that is the difference between the ones with sensors and the ones without sensors.

kleinbus
06-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Fitz, yours is the "normal" one that was also meant to mine. S-line does not have stripes but as S-line grill holes are bigger, its panel does not fit without little modification...

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc171/muddygsa/Audi/IMG_3555a.jpg

As can be seen, normal grill haves twice as many bars compared to S-line

FitzLA
06-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Fitz, yours is the "normal" one that was also meant to mine. S-line does not have stripes but as S-line grill holes are bigger, its panel does not fit without little modification...

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc171/muddygsa/Audi/IMG_3555a.jpg

As can be seen, normal grill haves twice as many bars compared to S-line

I get it now. I'm a little slow. :o

kleinbus
06-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Fitz, no worries and I'm just happy it worked out as I had 50/50 chance either it works or it doesn't :D

Q5ncal
06-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Yes I do, PM me and we'll talk.

phxflyboy

thanks for your reply; i was able to get my dealer swap it for me.

Cheers!

phxflyboy
06-18-2009, 07:38 PM
As much as I'd like to sell mine, for a smoking deal for someone, I'm glad the dealer worked things out for your. Guess I'm off to ebay!

phxflyboy

juneyoungkim
05-02-2010, 02:56 AM
Hello, everyone,

I expect to receive q5 in meteor gray this July. However, I really wanted to get the front bumper without license plate holder, and it seems there is replacement strip. Does anybody know the website or shop to get the strip so my new Q5 won't have front license plate holder? Although it is illegal in MA, I have never gotten caught for driving a car without front plate holder, so I believe it won't be a problem. Thanks!

yob2kanobe
05-02-2010, 05:25 AM
Hello, everyone,

I expect to receive q5 in meteor gray this July. However, I really wanted to get the front bumper without license plate holder, and it seems there is replacement strip. Does anybody know the website or shop to get the strip so my new Q5 won't have front license plate holder? Although it is illegal in MA, I have never gotten caught for driving a car without front plate holder, so I believe it won't be a problem. Thanks!
Ive got one I just took off my Q5 with the parking sensor openings, PM me if interested. we are required to have front plates where I live, and they will ticket you here :)

juneyoungkim
05-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Thank you! I am really interested in getting one as well. Where I live, although it is illegal not to have front license plate, the police rarely ticket. Would you be able to let me know where I can get the replacement strip without front license plate holder?

2011 Q5, Meteor Gray, cinnamon brown, S-Line package

billypete
05-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Thank you! I am really interested in getting one as well. Where I live, although it is illegal not to have front license plate, the police rarely ticket. Would you be able to let me know where I can get the replacement strip without front license plate holder?

2011 Q5, Meteor Gray, cinnamon brown, S-Line package

You should have your dealer double check the order on your Q5 as the plate delete is standard and the license plate holder type has to be ordered although it is a no cost option. Otherwise there is always some on ebay for sale.

dbc777
05-05-2010, 12:35 AM
any info on the front license plate? Mine came with a large black cover to attach a front license plate. I don't need it and want to remove it. Any info on how to remove and what's underneath?

I was considering the black with 2 chrome strips or a Euro style plate.

yob2kanobe
05-05-2010, 05:13 AM
any info on the front license plate? Mine came with a large black cover to attach a front license plate. I don't need it and want to remove it. Any info on how to remove and what's underneath?

I was considering the black with 2 chrome strips or a Euro style plate.

Its real simple, it just snaps on. Reach your fingers between the grill slats and you will feel the clips all along the top and bottom of the bracket, press them to unclip while slightly pulling outward on the bracket. Once you get them all it will be free of the grill. The only catch is if you have the parking sensors, the wires are not very long and it wont allow you to pull the bracket very far away from the grill but just enough to reach in there and press two clips on each of the two sensors to disconnect them.
Installation is the reverse of the above procedure.

The filler plates are on always on ebay for sale.

thecrave
12-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Due to a dealer trade, my Q5 has no plate holder in the front. Anyone here still have a plate holder trim with PDC that will fit a 2011 2.0T PP? Don't see any on eBay.

Shrad6
12-31-2010, 05:42 AM
What sucks is that I'm also buying another car from them, a Mobility Van (Dodge). He could have saved me the trouble from calling AOA and just sent one to me. I'm giving them my business.

Also, I'm still waiting for my iPod cable that didn't come with the car. I informed a day or 2 after I received the car, he stated that he didn't send it with the car because he didn't want it to get "stolen." What's funny is that he brings it up after i ask him where it is.

IMO Unless they're giving you the best deal around I would go elsewhere. The signs they're showing and the way they're treating you is not right. It angers me how they try and strong arm you until you show them you're going to fight right back.

NinjaBoot
01-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Mine came without the plate holder... I'd swap it out if it did... I just try not to run any red lights when I drive.

mjaiello
07-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Does the bracket exist for the 2012 as well? My dealer said the plate just screws right into the plastic with self-tapping screws.

geronimosan
07-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Does the bracket exist for the 2012 as well? My dealer said the plate just screws right into the plastic with self-tapping screws.

The '12 Q5 (not S-Line) came with both a front and back license plate holder, both with dealership names on them. My invoice showed Front License Plateholder as a line item, with $0 charge for it.

mjaiello
08-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Okay here's the front of my car.

From what I've found out I believe I do have the license plate "holder". It just seems odd that there are two molded holes (the two up top)that don't line up with holes on a license plate (although there's no female thread behind them either). Seems like it is there to mate with an actual "bracket" that the plate would then secure to.

Therefore, am I in fact supposed to screw the plate directly to this piece?

RCM09
08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Center it and screw it.:)

Toy Slacker
01-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Can someone please post Part Numbers for all the optional panels, I think these are all the possibilities:

Filler - Quartz Grey - No Plate - w/ Sensors
Filler - Quartz Grey - No Plate - w/o Sensors
License Plate Holder - Quartz Grey - w/ Sensors
License Plate Holder - Quartz Grey - w/o Sensors

Filler - Black Gloss - No Plate - w/ Sensors
Filler - Black Gloss - No Plate - w/o Sensors
License Plate Holder - Black Gloss - w/ Sensors
License Plate Holder - Black Gloss - w/o Sensors

spijun
01-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Can someone please post Part Numbers for all the optional panels, I think these are all the possibilities:

Which model of U.S. or European NO 1 or NO 2

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/junspi/ScreenShot004.jpg

spijun
01-26-2012, 07:37 AM

Model US:

License Plate Holder - Quartz Grey - w/ Sensors ----------8R0 807 285 B 1QP stone grey
License Plate Holder - Quartz Grey - w/o Sensors ---------8R0 807 285 A 1QP stone grey

License Plate Holder - Black Gloss - w/ Sensors ----------8R0 807 285 B T94
License Plate Holder - Black Gloss - w/o Sensors ---------8R0 807 285 A T94

European model:

License Plate Holder - Quartz Grey - w/ Sensors ----------8R0 807 287 A 1QP stone grey
License Plate Holder - Quartz Grey - w/o Sensors ---------8R0 807 287 1QP stone grey

License Plate Holder - Black Gloss - w/ Sensors ----------8R0 807 287 A T94
License Plate Holder - Black Gloss - w/o Sensors ---------8R0 807 287 T94

D_Frost
01-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks spijun! I've been looking for the part numbers of the license plate holders :)

Toy Slacker
01-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Which model of U.S. or European NO 1 or NO 2

Model 2, US Spec, 3.2, Grey, with Parking sensors. I'm having trouble clearly reading the part number. Thanks!!

spijun
01-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Model 2, US Spec, 3.2, Grey, with Parking sensors. I'm having trouble clearly reading the part number. Thanks!!

There are two code. The only difference is reinforced bumper 4 km / h or 8 km / h: 8R0 807 287 A 1QP or 8R0 807 287 C 1QP
Sorry for my english

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/junspi/ScreenShot0582.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/junspi/ScreenShot0581.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/junspi/ScreenShot0583.jpg

Cains10
02-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Okay here's the front of my car.

From what I've found out I believe I do have the license plate "holder". It just seems odd that there are two molded holes (the two up top)that don't line up with holes on a license plate (although there's no female thread behind them either). Seems like it is there to mate with an actual "bracket" that the plate would then secure to.

Therefore, am I in fact supposed to screw the plate directly to this piece?

Mine has the holes for the top screws and the plate I want to put there has horizontal slots so they lineup. As you can see, you can see the grille thru the holes; no nutplates. So, how are you supposed to attach the plate? This really shouldn't be this hard or complicated with sensors, no sensors, plates, no plates, s-line, no s-line. If I had no plate and move to a state that requires plates, it costs a couple hundred bucks????

vince808
03-02-2012, 01:33 PM
I've been running with no front plate for 2 years now :)

pls5160
04-01-2012, 04:27 PM
I just ordered a 2012 Q5 which will have the S Line grill. Live California were a front plate is required. However the look of the license plate holder is UGLY. Has anyone removed one without having to take the grill out. I have been running a GL 450 without a front plate for 3 years and a E55 without a front plate for 9 years and haven't been busted yet. Was going to order the Q5 without the bracket but thought I had better in case I got busted and then would have to jury rig something.

D_Frost
04-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I just ordered a 2012 Q5 which will have the S Line grill. Live California were a front plate is required. However the look of the license plate holder is UGLY. Has anyone removed one without having to take the grill out. I have been running a GL 450 without a front plate for 3 years and a E55 without a front plate for 9 years and haven't been busted yet. Was going to order the Q5 without the bracket but thought I had better in case I got busted and then would have to jury rig something.

The plate bracket is just clipped on and there may be 2 screws in the front (below where the plate should be) that holds it in place. Be aware that if you have parking sensors, the panel below the the plate bracket may have holes that give clearance to the sensors. In the end you will need to have/purchase the filler panel that doesn't have the plate holder to look right.

pls5160
04-02-2012, 03:59 PM
I think I can still change my order since it was only placed about 10 days ago. I am going to take my changes and have the license plate bracket deleted. I assume the filler then will take it's place. If I get busted I'll zip tie it scotch tape it or something until Mr. Black and White leaves.

D_Frost
04-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Surprisingly, the license plate holder (if you were to buy it) is cheaper (by about $40) than the filler panel ;)

Check ECS Tuning to see what I mean :)

pls5160
04-02-2012, 04:28 PM
I looked at the ECS tuning and I see what you mean. The license plate holder is just Double Ugly and detracts from the beautiful front end look.

dbc777
06-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Hi,

I have a 2010 Q5 and register it in Florida. I recently swapped the front license plate holder, glossy black, for the license plate filler.

I'm interested in selling the license plate holder. It is in very good condition. I only have about 16,000 miles and garage my Q5 when I'm traveling.

The dealer charged me $240.00 for the filler plate. I'm not sure what they charge for the plate holder. I do not have parking sensors. It was the original equipment on my 2010 Audi Q5 Premium Plus.

I've thought about selling it on ebay or craigslist, but thought someone here might be interested.

If I can upload some pictures here, I will.

Thanks,

David Cornwell
954-558-4133

pls5160
06-07-2012, 08:10 AM
What did the dealer charge you to install the filler plate?

D_Frost
06-07-2012, 10:02 AM
What did the dealer charge you to install the filler plate?

The filler plate is very easy to install (just clips)... the plate holder usually has a couple screws (behind where the license plate would go) and then clips at the top/bottom (as per pic above)...

If you have the parking sensors, those are also clipped/snapped into the holes of the panel.

dbc777
06-11-2012, 06:22 AM
[I had a coupon for $50 off Audi parts... but it had to be parts used during service.

So I asked my Audi dealer how much to install the license plate filler. After being put on hold, they came back with a price of $35.00.

I used another coupon for 20% off and removed and installed myself. The filler was $240.00 before the discount.

Call me if you need the license plate holder. It's from my 2010 Q5 Premium Plus non parker sensors. It's black gloss very good condition always garaged low, 16,000 miles, I travel frequently.

thank you,

David 954-558-4133 call or text. I'm leaving for Dubai Tuesday night and won't be back until Sat am. I have all the dealer bubble wrap to ship safely

trock930
07-30-2012, 06:50 PM
I have this same set up on my 2012 Q5... Is there another piece that actually holds the plate and mounts on that part of the grill

Audi Junkie
01-17-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm working on getting mine off atm.

Thanks for the info.

azdavidr
01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
I just purchased a Q5, non S-line with parking aid. We don't need front plates in Arizona so I purchased on front plate filler. I have the one off of our Q5, with bracket and holes for parking aid for sale for $125. Install was easy, and took about 15 minutes.

We only have a few hundred miles on the car, and have had clear bra on it for most of that time. The clear bra can be removed if desired.

MeehowTT
01-27-2014, 09:52 AM
I too just purchased a 2012 Q5 non S-Line with parking aid. Looking to swap a front filler plate for a license plate bracket. Let me know if anybody on here is interested.

azdavidr
02-03-2014, 04:21 AM
I too just purchased a 2012 Q5 non S-Line with parking aid. Looking to swap a front filler plate for a license plate bracket. Let me know if anybody on here is interested.

I still have mine for sale in case you don't find anyone to swap with.

jonryan26
02-10-2014, 11:48 AM

I have a '11 Q5 non S-line with parking sensors with a front plate bracket that I'm looking to swap. Is that what you were needing? I'm looking for the glossy black filler plate. I can send you some pictures if you're interested.