View Full Version : 2009 A4 2.0 steering wheel vibration

OldSchoolDropout
10-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Anybody else have this issue? It starts at about 65-70 MPH on my car, not very bad but defintely noticeable.

saholz
10-06-2008, 06:14 AM
It could be something as simple as wheel balancing. Your dealer should be able to check this and rebalance if necessary.

gk1
10-06-2008, 06:53 AM
<ul><li><a href="http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/40281.phtml">http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/40281.phtml</a</li></ul>

Mobilehavoc
10-06-2008, 07:06 AM

Mobilehavoc
10-06-2008, 07:19 AM

gk1
10-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Maybe it was already diagnosed and fixed for the A4.

Also from other posts in the A5 forum the vibration did not reveal itself immediately and a wheel balance hid it for a while before it came back.

Mobilehavoc
10-06-2008, 08:56 AM
I could have it too but just not know?

B5bfourB7
10-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Could be even simpler as a check/adjustment of tire pressure.

TB1000
10-06-2008, 04:30 PM
the passenger seats vibrates when nobody is sitting in it and so does something in the backseat. Not sure if it's just the road I'm on because that's when I notice it.

FireSpotter
10-06-2008, 06:12 PM
I asked about this being a similar problem to that of the A5 a while ago and everyone thought I was nuts. My 02 has done this since day one, and still does (passenger seat shake, nibble in the wheel). Wheels are balanced, and once by Audi regional rep with an on the car system owned by Audi corporate. Have had a couple sets of EOM Dunlops on it and problem persists. I just chalk it up to some small imbalance in a driveshaft. I have driven other A4's that do not do this. I would be highly disappointed if I bought an 09 and it had the same characteristic. I guess I will really have to drive the car at speed for awhile before I take delivery.

I actually have a pretty nice tire balancer (don't ask why) with Haweka mounting adapters and it shows wheels and tires are true and well balanced. Hunter Road force also shows excellent balance so I gave up on this problem, and so did Audi, a long time ago. My wife even notices the problem.

My 07 GLI is smooth as glass (no AWD).

Saab900
10-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Problem with A5 is thought by some to be the control arm bushings- which would make sense.

OldSchoolDropout
10-07-2008, 09:18 AM
My first guess is wheel out of balance as well. I'm several hours from dealer. Next time I'm going to be in the area, I'll make appt. to have them check it out.

rishi a4
04-26-2009, 10:49 AM
im facing the same vibration at 60 mph ... any solution ..thanx

scottacus
04-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Have you hit a pothole lately? I have had this type of vibration (speed-dependent, usually at 50-60 mph) when I have hit a pothole and my wheels have gone out of alignment or my rim has been bent.

snagitseven
04-26-2009, 05:54 PM
I hit a bad pothole and blew out a tire. Replaced it and felt bad vibrations in wheel and seat @ 65-75. Balanced twice and discovered tire dealer balancing machine had not been properly calibrated. Discovered tire treads had worn unevenly as a result of possible poor alignment and balance.

Took to Audi dealer to check for any physical damage (none found), rebalanced and it improved considerably. Had them check alignment and one wheel was out of spec. After alignment, further improvement was felt with only some rear hopping still noticeable.

After about 200 miles, the tires wore the uneven tread back down to smooth surfaces and now 95+% smooth ride again - almost like new; no shimmy or excessive hop.

I learned that tire treads can get worn unevenly very quickly if not properly balanced or all wheels aligned. All Quattro Audis I've owned have been very sensitive to shimmy and shake from poor tire tread wear, slightly bent wheels or poor alignment. Never caused by any bad mechanical components.

TB1000
04-27-2009, 06:53 PM
I've had the car since the beginning of September, just hit 6,000 miles on the odometer, and today just noticed the steering wheel vibrating as I was entering the freeway. My passenger seat usually shakes when I'm around 80 but the only time I notice it is on the way to work so I just chalk it up to a rough patch on the freeway. Unfortunately, the steering wheel vibration doesn't make as much sense because I haven't hit any potholes or curbs lately and just had my 5,000 mile service.

Mobilehavoc
04-28-2009, 05:18 AM
I'm at 4200 miles right now and I don't have any steering wheel vibration at high speed. When it vibrates, what happens if you let go of the steering wheel? Does it turn because of the vibrations or just stay in place?

I just drove about 200+ miles this past weekend, mainly on highway at 80-85mph. No vibrations whatsoever. I had 3 other passengers in the car with me and noboby felt any vibrations, noises, etc. Maybe I should count myself lucky, the car is dead silent at 80+ with the windows/sunroof closed and the music off. I can hear the front passenger breathing (not heavily either).

BMWBig6
04-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I have 5700 miles, and my steering wheel VISIBLY shakes at 60-65 MPH. It's obviously more pronounced in Dynamic mode, but is perceptible even in Comfort mode. It reminds me of the BMW "shimmy" that was caused by worn thrust arm bushings in the E32 7-series and E34 5-series cars. I plan to mention it to the dealer soon. This problem didn't exist when the car was new and only seemed to appear in the past thousand miles (perhaps following the tire rotation at the 5,000 mile service).

lhsa
04-28-2009, 04:40 PM
ahhh. let me tell y'all a story.

at 3K miles, i bought and installed a set of sport edition 17" rims. soon after, i started experiencing a shimmy between 50-70 mph. of course my initial thought was the balancing. so began by unbelievable ridiculous adventure in curing the shimmy, which included:

switching tires from cheap yokohamas to expensive potenzas
balancing 4 different times at my installer
alignment
road force balancing at the audi dealer

each of these efforts failed to cure the shimmy. the road force balance was a final step to confirm if the wheels were the problem. the tests all came back clean and the next step was to push for measures which appeared to help a5 owners (new control arms/bushings).

as a final, last step, i ordered a quality set of enkei's from tirerack. guess what? problem solved. it was those da** cheap chinese rims that could balance, but ultimately caused the shimmy. the ride was glass smooth, just like the original 18" OEM sport rims. so after all the wasted time and money, i learned don't buy cheap rims.

so what's the pearl of wisdom for all you folks with the shimmy? not quite sure, but try a different set of rims (or have the dealer put on another set) before going crazy.

OLight:TNG
05-01-2009, 06:29 AM
Different problem, may warrant a different thread, but we'll start here. Parking lot maneuvers, wheel at full lock in one direction or another - say I was finished backing out of a parking space. Shift to D, add a little accelerator, and I get a strong shake through the steering wheel until I begin straightening out.

Anybody?

OrlandoA4
06-24-2009, 05:31 AM
I just bought my first Audi, 2009 A4 3.2 quattro, dealer demo with 10,000 miles. I noticed a vibration between 60 and 75 mph. Dealer put it on the alignment rack, no significant deviation. Examined, rotated and balanced tires. Still have the vibration.

I got a call from the dealer 'senior audi rep' who said that the vibration was a known problem due to an overly stiff front end and that the fix would require installation of new bushings which will not be available until august. Love the car and love the attention given me by the dealer, but surprised at this problem. Also surprised not to see this all over this forum. Anybody else have this experience?

Jack Foulard
06-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Different problem, may warrant a different thread, but we'll start here. Parking lot maneuvers, wheel at full lock in one direction or another - say I was finished backing out of a parking space. Shift to D, add a little accelerator, and I get a strong shake through the steering wheel until I begin straightening out.

Anybody?

This is a typical differential binding in other AWD systems, so possibly yours needs a looksie at the dealer.

jms493
06-24-2009, 06:14 AM
I just picked up my 2009 A4 it has 20 miles on it and driving it home I felt a ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel at a certain speed. it was ever so slight and hard to replicate. I plan on getting some VMR Wheels soon and wheel see if it changes.

Not sure if it is me being very sensitive or really a problem.

Li7
06-24-2009, 06:37 AM
I just picked up my 2009 A4 it has 20 miles on it and driving it home I felt a ever so slight vibration in the steering wheel at a certain speed. it was ever so slight and hard to replicate. I plan on getting some VMR Wheels soon and wheel see if it changes.

Same issue here, i had a slight vibration at speeds in the 60-75mph. During the 5k routine check had told the dealer, and the rotated the tires, but still minor vibrations are felt.

jms493
06-24-2009, 06:41 AM

Same issue here, i had a slight vibration at speeds in the 60-75mph. During the 5k routine check had told the dealer, and the rotated the tires, but still minor vibrations are felt.

Kind of annoying isnt it?!? Could be the bushings as ever one is saying.

SilverA4
06-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I have it too. Just took delivery of a new car with 110 miles. I'll take it to the dealer in the morning for them to sort out.

Be sure to drive the car you're taking delivery on - I wish I had. I know my shop will take care of me though.

SilverA4
06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Seems like Audi policy on a new delivery with this issue is to drive the car for 500 miles and then bring it in for a road force balance and more investigation.

ekmark
07-06-2009, 04:31 PM
I just bought my first Audi, 2009 A4 3.2 quattro, dealer demo with 10,000 miles. I noticed a vibration between 60 and 75 mph. Dealer put it on the alignment rack, no significant deviation. Examined, rotated and balanced tires. Still have the vibration.

I got a call from the dealer 'senior audi rep' who said that the vibration was a known problem due to an overly stiff front end and that the fix would require installation of new bushings which will not be available until august. Love the car and love the attention given me by the dealer, but surprised at this problem. Also surprised not to see this all over this forum. Anybody else have this experience?

Just bought a dealer demo from Audi Manhattan A4 3.2 quattro with 12k miles and first drive out I've got the same vibration starting about 65mph. Called the dealer and they are blaming in on balancing. Dropping off the car next week. Keep you posted on the result.

Buckeye96
07-07-2009, 03:22 AM
I went through this with my car. They road force tested my tires and found that 3 of them were out of true. So after 600 miles I have 3 new pirelli's.

Hobbes
07-07-2009, 04:22 AM
I went through this with my car. They road force tested my tires and found that 3 of them were out of true. So after 600 miles I have 3 new pirelli's.
Yeah, but did that fix the problem? Many folks have had tires balanced/replaced without it actually fixing the problem.

mart242
07-07-2009, 05:21 AM
I had that with my car for the first 200km or so.. it seems to reappear only once in a while after the car sits on really hot or cold days, as if the tires were developing flat spots but it disappears quickly. I'm now at 5500km

Buckeye96
07-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Yeah, but did that fix the problem? Many folks have had tires balanced/replaced without it actually fixing the problem.

I haven't been on the highway much and I am giving it another 600 miles to see if it comes back. My personal feeling is that the rims are out of true.

jms493
07-07-2009, 10:11 AM
I get new rims and tires on monday....will update the thread and let you know if the slight vibration goes away.

eman
07-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Anybody else have this issue? It starts at about 65-70 MPH on my car, not very bad but defintely noticeable.

As simple as it sounds, I checked my tire pressures last night and they were all over the place (33, 34, 35, etc.). I calibrated them all to 32psi, and I noticed a significant improvement this morning on my way to work. The steering wheel vibration I was experiencing 60-70mph went away almost completely.

Unlike others on this thread, I have not noticed a problem at low speeds.

Buckeye96
07-08-2009, 06:15 AM
As simple as it sounds, I checked my tire pressures last night and they were all over the place (33, 34, 35, etc.). I calibrated them all to 32psi, and I noticed a significant improvement this morning on my way to work. The steering wheel vibration I was experiencing 60-70mph went away almost completely.

Unlike others on this thread, I have not noticed a problem at low speeds.

32 seems really low. I thought I read that the pressure should be 38.

Buckeye96
07-09-2009, 03:27 AM
checked my tire pressure last night. All were 38 and one was 36.
I was on the highway before that and the shimmy is there but ever so slightly now, I wonder if it will get worse as the miles add up on the new tires. My theory is that the rims are the problem.

Anyone know where and who manufactures the premium + rims?

We should probably keep a list of rims and tires to see if there is any correlation.

Premium + rims
17" Pirelli P6's

eman
07-09-2009, 04:07 AM
32 seems really low. I thought I read that the pressure should be 38.

For my 17" Premium + Pirellis, the recommended pressure is 33 front 35 rear. Perhaps 32 is a bit low, but 38 seems too high given the recommendation.

Buckeye96
07-09-2009, 04:32 AM
i wonder if the 33/35 is hot or cold pressure?

mnemons
07-09-2009, 05:13 AM
My A4 2.0T (Automatic) has been in dealership for the steering wheel vibration @57-70 MPH this morning.
I'll update when the car is back.

Rim and Tires: 18" Pirellis P6 (All Season)

Does anyone occasionally experience a knocking noise coming from the rear when you shift Reverse to Drive?
Unfortunately, I could not reproduce the same noise when the technician was sitting next to me.

eman
07-09-2009, 05:28 AM

mnemons
07-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Got my car back today. The mechanic did road force test, found front left tire was out of balance, and rebalanced tires.
So I picked up the car, drove another 20 miles and found out that the steering wheel was shaking at 53 mph and above.
I drove back to dealership, the mechanic ran some tests and contacted Audi of America. He was told to replace 3 tires. So he ordered the tires and will inform me when the tires arrive.
(That is the so-called step 2. If the problem is not fixed, the car might need a new control arm.)

BMWBig6
07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Did you guys see this on Edmunds? 2009 Audi A4 and S5: Steering Vibration Wrap Up
(http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2009/07/2009-audi-a4-and-s5-steering-vibration-wrap-up.html#more)
http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/09.audi.s5.arm.555.jpg

markcincinnati
07-14-2009, 01:13 PM
What is the TSB #?

jms493
07-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Put my new VMR wheels and tires on tonite.......the vibration at 60 mph is now gone!

Buckeye96
07-15-2009, 03:32 AM
my vibration is slightly back and I suspect that it will increase over time. My feeling is that its the control arms and the rims. Anyone have any idea where the rims are manufactured?

markcincinnati
07-15-2009, 05:36 AM
What is the TSB# so that I can refer to it?

mnemons
07-15-2009, 06:18 AM
I just checked my repair invoice.
TSB # 2018121/3

I am still waiting for the arrival of 3 tires.

Prof
07-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the TSB number. I have this problem and I am taking my A4 B8 in for its 5000 mile service tomorrow. I will give this information to the service manager.

wrp
07-15-2009, 07:12 AM
I have a '98 A4 and considering ordering a '10 A4. For the '98 it took about 1 year and 10,000 miles before the front control arms started creaking, and then about 6 years for Audi to actually consider any warranty work. I've had about 12 control arm pieces replaced on this car (with 125,000 miles).

So now 12 years and 3 revisions later, the A4 still has control arm problems? And they occur in cars < 1 year old? What's up with that?

And the fix is to use softer bushings to keep the vibrations from the steering wheel? That means the vibrations are still there, and other front end parts will wear out early?

mnemons
07-15-2009, 07:38 AM
I have to admit, as a first time owner of Audi, it is really annoying to experience this kind of problem, and it takes away the pleasure of driving an Audi. For the owners who experience this problem, in addition to expecting that Audi will come up with a permanent solution, is there anything we can do ? I do not think this problem can be fell into the category of "nonconformity" defined by Lemon Law.

Hobbes
07-15-2009, 07:49 AM
I have a '98 A4 and considering ordering a '10 A4. For the '98 it took about 1 year and 10,000 miles before the front control arms started creaking, and then about 6 years for Audi to actually consider any warranty work. I've had about 12 control arm pieces replaced on this car (with 125,000 miles).

So now 12 years and 3 revisions later, the A4 still has control arm problems? And they occur in cars < 1 year old? What's up with that?
Yeah, I had plenty of problems with the control arms on my B5 '97 A4. It is disappointing to see that 12 years later I am having the same issues on my B8. You would think that would be one area that Audi had addressed.

RoyM
07-15-2009, 08:14 AM
I have to admit, as a first time owner of Audi, it is really annoying to experience this kind of problem, and it takes away the pleasure of driving an Audi. For the owners who experience this problem, in addition to expecting that Audi will come up with a permanent solution, is there anything we can do ? I do not think this problem can be fell into the category of "nonconformity" defined by Lemon Law.

In 11 years of ownership and 5 Audi A4 I had not had one single control arm issue. I'm not sure why perhaps the way I drive, I just don't know. So don't think this is a problem that every A4 has. All my Audi A4's have been problem free only a very few minor issues.

Hobbes
07-15-2009, 09:33 AM
The early B5s were well-known to have control arm and tie rod problems (and cats as well). I'm not sure if it's been a problem in the intervening model years.

SusieQ324
07-16-2009, 10:19 AM
I just checked my repair invoice.
TSB # 2018121/3

I am still waiting for the arrival of 3 tires.

I'm taking my '09 A4 Avant in tomorrow - aside from the TSB number, does anyone have the PDF of the actual service bulletin? I found this number associated with the A5 issues in 2008 but I don't think I've got the right one.

Or if you've had results with the dealer referencing this number, can you please let me know? Thanks!

markcincinnati
07-16-2009, 11:20 AM
I have had 29 Audis -- they have not been "trouble free" -- however, overall they have had very few issues; and, truth be told, none of the issues were not covered.

RoyM
07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I have had 29 Audis -- they have not been "trouble free" -- however, overall they have had very few issues; and, truth be told, none of the issues were not covered.

I have had very few problems with my 5 Audi's and you have had very little problem with your 29 Audi's so it must have something to do with our jeans. Or is it the way we treat our Audi's. Sounds like you are as critical about your cars as I am about mine and appears we are both very satsified with the B8. To sum it all up Audi builds great cars that we enjoy owning and driving.

Turbo Freak
07-16-2009, 04:56 PM
I have had very few problems with my 5 Audi's and you have had very little problem with your 29 Audi's so it must have something to do with our jeans. Or is it the way we treat our Audi's. Sounds like you are as critical about your cars as I am about mine and appears we are both very satsified with the B8. To sum it all up Audi builds great cars that we enjoy owning and driving.

Of course if you replace your car every second year, you are very likely not to have too many problems with them.

My current 100,000 miles 1998 A4 had every usual problem known and then some (control arms, turbo, cat, ABS, light switch, oil leeking into clutch, wheel bearings,valve cover gasket...)

OrlandoA4
07-20-2009, 04:11 AM
Just had new control arms put on my A4 and the problem is solved.

eman
07-20-2009, 04:33 AM

wrp
07-20-2009, 04:53 AM
For all you Audi owners who have never had any problem - Just how long have you owned these cars? I suspect less that 2-3 years, I find it hard to believe that any car could have 0 problems.

macuser
07-20-2009, 06:47 AM
i've had my car since july 3rd 2009. no vibration at low speeds or high speeds.

did these vibrations start as soon as you bought the car or after acouple months?

avantsc
07-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Just chiming in after a long period of blissful ownership (2009 Avant P+). After my 5000 mile service I am also suffering with steering vibration at 65+. After I had a wheel balance the problem got worse (now seat is vibrating at low speed). I am going back next week.

RoyM
07-20-2009, 12:32 PM
For all you Audi owners who have never had any problem - Just how long have you owned these cars? I suspect less that 2-3 years, I find it hard to believe that any car could have 0 problems.

I have owned 5 Audi A4's my 98 was 5 years old when I sold it and very few problems. All I can remember was a rear wheel bearing.

My 2003 A4 was 5 year old when I sold it and no problems to speak of.

Currently 2006 is 4 years and 1 week old and totally zero problems. Now my 2009 is only 9 months old and as you would expect no problems.

I did own a 99.5 A4 it was only 2 years old when I sold it and zero problems with it.

I am extremely picky on the appearance of my cars and I demand they work flawless. Could I just be lucky to get 5 really good ones.I don't think so I believe they are well engineered and with good care they will last a long time.

Hobbes
07-20-2009, 03:24 PM
I have owned 5 Audi A4's my 98 was 5 years old when I sold it and very few problems. All I can remember was a rear wheel bearing.

My 2003 A4 was 5 year old when I sold it and no problems to speak of.

Currently 2006 is 4 years and 1 week old and totally zero problems. Now my 2009 is only 9 months old and as you would expect no problems.

I did own a 99.5 A4 it was only 2 years old when I sold it and zero problems with it.

I am extremely picky on the appearance of my cars and I demand they work flawless. Could I just be lucky to get 5 really good ones.I don't think so I believe they are well engineered and with good care they will last a long time.
Fair enough, you've had a good batch of cars. But the fact that I (or anybody) had control arm or cat problems with my B5 doesn't mean I didn't care for my car or demand that it work flawlessly. You can't really "demand" that your car have no problems. It really is just the luck of the draw.

I had my A4 for 12.5 years and loved it as much on the day I sold as the day I got it. It was a very reliable car with mostly only normal wear items needing attention over the years. But I did have a few commonly-experienced defect-type items with the car, and they were common enough that many others also experienced them.

ekmark
07-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Got my car back from the shop with all 4 wheels balanced and seemed to fix the vibration until after about 10 miles at 65mph the vibration started again. Dropping it back to Audi Manhattan. They are telling me they have not seen this problem before with '09 A4's

BuzzL
07-21-2009, 03:40 AM
They are telling me they have not seen this problem before with '09 A4's
Of course they are telling that. They always do. Although the problem is widely known when reading for example internet forums, they are always hearing it for the first time.

OrlandoA4
07-21-2009, 05:37 AM
Just complained about the vibration. After balancing tires and checking alignment did not fix the problem, dealer acknowledged that this was a known defect in some A4's and arranged to get the new control arms.

mnemons
07-23-2009, 06:34 AM
I just got back from dealership to replace 3 tires after conducting the road force test. Then, I drove with mechanic foreman of my dealer. Unfortunately, the steering wheel still vibrates at 60-70 mph. So he placed an order to new control arms. I was told it might take at least 4 weeks for them to get the parts. Well, another waiting game starts.

Total wait time:
4 days to get appointments
2 days in dealership (balanced tires, road force test)
12 days waiting for 3 tires
2 days in dealership (replaced 3 tires)
?? days waiting for new control arms

my first experience as an Audi owner: negatively priceless

rayjpep
07-23-2009, 11:35 AM
I have a 3.2 and i just felt this vibration/shuddering for both low speeds(specifically when backing up to park) and highway speeds at 60-70mph. The vibration seems to be more pronounced when backing up to park than highway speeds which is slight but noticeable. She is only at 1700 miles and this is reallly bothering me. I'm a first time Audi owner as well.

markcincinnati
07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
My Audi dealer shop foreman was fully aware of the TSB and said the policy is to replace the control arms ONLY after every other option had been exhausted -- I thought he also said the arms were hard to come by, as in there is an actual shortage of the arms, literally.

So, for some dealer to say "Never heard of this before" is not impossible to believe but, close to it.

ekmark
07-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Had the tires balanced and still have the vibration at about 65mph and the shudder while parking. Just dropped off the car at Audi Manhattan and they still don't know the problem. Got a call today telling me that they have to keep the car in for a couple more days to investigate. They tell me that they have never heard of this problem. Will update later when hopefully resolved.

snagitseven
07-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Had the tires balanced and still have the vibration at about 65mph and the shudder while parking. Just dropped off the car at Audi Manhattan and they still don't know the problem. Got a call today telling me that they have to keep the car in for a couple more days to investigate. They tell me that they have never heard of this problem. Will update later when hopefully resolved.

Two different issues. The low speed shudder is a problem well recognized by Audi. They expect to have an answer to this within 60 days. (I'm told they believe it's a bad steering pump hose design or defect).
The high speed issue is also well recognized. The dealer must exhaust all other possibilities, i.e. force balancing/tire problems, and only then will Audi approve replacement of the front control arms with the different bushings.

I just spoke to an AOA Executive Customer Relations rep today who confirms all of this. Tell your dealer to call AOA if he claims he's unaware of either issue.

wakko
07-27-2009, 10:46 PM
My sister's B8 A4 have had the low speed shudder problem for almost 6 months (reported to the dealer) and still no concrete answer from them :(

Renegade88
07-28-2009, 05:25 AM
Anyone know if this is an issue with the 2010s too?

Art234
07-28-2009, 05:41 AM
It appears that my 2010 A4 might have the high speed problem, I have not detected the low speed issue as yet. I am waiting till the first service to see what happens--I only have 500 miles on the car.

That said, it appears worst when the car is cold or warming up...which could support power steering pump/pressure/hose issues.

mikeinaustin
07-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Art, not good that the issue hasn't been fixed for 2010, not good at all.

Art234
07-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Mike,

I don't know for sure--I just get some intermittent vibration at those speeds while the car is warming up. NOT all the time.

Time will tell.

Thanks

shawna4
07-28-2009, 10:40 AM

I have this same issue since day 1. Car has subtle shimmy/vibration felt through drive train & steering wheel. Dealer balanced and road force balanced tires... still feel it. Starting to think that I'm nuts, but I'm convinced it's not right.

Any successes in dealing with this issue

mnemons
07-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I am wondering whether any owners can confirm the replacement of control arm will fix the problem. I am still waiting for the arrival of new control arms.

hankoman
07-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Just wanted to doublecheck again, was it so that only non-manual A4s have this issue?

shawna4
07-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I have an 09 A4 and have had this problem since day 1.

Subtle vibrations through the steering wheel and throttle anywhere over 60-65. Noticeable to the driver only, very disappointed for a brand new car.

Audi balanced the tires; road-force balanced the tires and told me it "rides like butter." Not so. Going back in tomorrow.

Buckeye96
07-29-2009, 07:01 AM
I am wondering whether any owners can confirm the replacement of control arm will fix the problem. I am still waiting for the arrival of new control arms.

Has anyone replaced their tires and rims and fixed the problem?

Dirt
07-29-2009, 09:15 AM
I have the problem and have had the dealer re-balance the tires. The problem is 80% gone and to be truthful, it doesn't bother me any more but I'm worried about repercussions if I don't follow through. I'd hate to have the issue persist until after the warranty is up and have to spend a tonne of $$$ on control arms.

I've also got the low speed parking lot shudder but I guess that's covered on another thread. I haven't had the car in for that yet.

snagitseven
07-29-2009, 10:40 AM
I've also got the low speed parking lot shudder but I guess that's covered on another thread. I haven't had the car in for that yet.

Don't bother bringing it in for that one yet. The dealer won't have a solution until Audi figures it out themselves. Hopefully in the next 60 days according to AOA.

Jacon
07-30-2009, 02:50 PM
I just experienced the low-speed shutter today on my 09 6MT:(

eman
07-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Said they think my tires have flat spots on them and that's what is causing the vibration. WTF?

BTW, I have Pirellis on my 17" premium plus 2.0T, and I noticed on the premium plus 3.2 loaner car I had they were 17" Goodyear. What does everyone else have? I did notice a vibration on the loaner as well, however it wasn't as severe.

NJRoadFan
07-31-2009, 04:25 PM
The symptoms of the problem are similar to having flat spotted tires. I know I have a similar problem with my 2006 Jetta GLI on cold mornings (ContiProContact tires), but the minor flat spots go away after the tire warms up and becomes round again. The vibration would also be present at lower speeds.

whiterabbit66
07-31-2009, 06:46 PM
Just picked up my brand new 09 A4 yesterday and it has a vibration between 65 and 75mph. Will check tire pressures but it looks like the same problem on a brand new car.

dpcompt
07-31-2009, 08:00 PM

has anyone experienced in their '10 a4q?
don

nguyA4-2.0T
08-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Was wondering if anybody could help me out. Just put new 19" wheel with yokohama S. drive. i get a noticeable steering wheel and cabin vibration at about 70mph. went back to the installer to rebalance 3 time still didn't fix it. went to the dealer to fix it, they road force balance and said they reduce it but i can still feel vibration. the dealer said the A4 2.0T can only take 18" Is this due to the 19" on the car which causes the vibration? i need help bad thanks

NJRoadFan
08-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Could it be possible that something in the power steering system is at fault here? Could be as easy as a loose power steering rack that just needs the mounting bolts torqued down properly. Or it can be a strange pressure problem with the power steering pump (sends out bursts of fluid that causes some lash back at the rack, if that is even possible).

OrlandoA4
08-03-2009, 04:33 AM

I have had the control arms replaced and the problem is much better. However, I can still feel a vibration between 70 and 80 mph that is more evident as a seat vibration than the steering wheel shaking.

SusieQ324
08-05-2009, 05:58 AM
Here's my update for my 2009 Avant P+....I've got 2000 miles on it now since 7/3. I had it road force balanced and that didn't do anything. Took it back this morning and had a test drive with one of the techs. While they claimed it was just the "feel of the road" coming thru the steering, something Audi's like to do, by the time I was ready to check out, they indicated that I was getting 4 new tires and that they would be speaking to AOA this morning sometime.

Sounds like I'm 1/2 way thru the standard process...I'll keep everyone posted as well.

weismanm
08-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Just picked up 09 A4 Quattro...dealer demo w/ 5k miles, 18" Pirelli's...yeah, I have the same thing...I will have them check the balance, but out of 9 Audi's, 5 had some type of vibration, and only one was ever resolved with balancing...oh well...it's not bad enough to scream about, especially since the rest of the car is *SO* nice :)

bakin1
08-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Anyone with an sline having this issue? I don't notice it on mine(19"s). I do have the stutter when driving/turning at slow speeds. Usually when backing up.

docboy
08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Can anyone confirm this: Went on a test drive of an 09 2.0T Prestige auto. On the freeway around 55-65mpg I noticed the driver's side door and steering wheel vibrate/shake. The shaking seems to be only on the driver's side of the cockpit.

Getting off the freeway, I notice the shaking immediately stop once the car was below 55pm in the city. Is this the steering wheel vibration this thread is referring to?

ports
08-05-2009, 10:26 AM
yeah i noticed the vibration on my way to work this week.. unfortunately its most prevalent in the seat at 74-76mph... which is my preferred highway driving speed.

i kinda feel like the car shouldve bought me breakfast or at least flowers after vibrating my seat like that for 3 hours.

ryanPA
08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Anyone with an sline having this issue? I don't notice it on mine(19"s). I do have the stutter when driving/turning at slow speeds. Usually when backing up.

Yes, my 2010 S-line with 19" Pirellis has this issue

Art234
08-06-2009, 04:52 AM
I am finding the problem to be somewhat intermittent and temperature related. I am going to have them check the balance on the tires when it goes for the 5000 mile service.

Buckeye96
08-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Anyone replace their rims with non-oem rims still having this problem?
I awesome those with 17"-19" OEM are all having the problems?

What about tires? Everyone running the OEM tires?

nguyA4-2.0T
08-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Anyone replace their rims with non-oem rims still having this problem?
I awesome those with 17"-19" OEM are all having the problems?

What about tires? Everyone running the OEM tires?

i never have the problem with stock 18" but with 19" aftermarket i had vibration going between 65-75 mpg. wondering if the 19 causes a rougher ride than the 18"

ekmark
08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
I am still having the vibration!! This sucks!! Audi Manhattan tells me that they can't do anything else for me. Had the car in 3 times and after numerous wheel balancing and replacement of one tire still the vibration starting at 65mph and stops at 80mph. They tell me it is not the control arm and have no plans on replacing it. It is more intermittent now but anyone have any ideas the next step? I've got an 09 A4 Prestige 3.2, anyone resolve their vibration?

drbelk
08-17-2009, 04:31 PM
I have a 2009 avant with 18 in rims and I have never had any vibration. I do get the shimmy when I turn at 5mph or lower when parking but nothing else. Guess I am lucky so far, knock on wood.

Hobbes
08-17-2009, 04:51 PM
They tell me it is not the control arm and have no plans on replacing it. It is more intermittent now but anyone have any ideas the next step?
I would contact AoA.

Barrels41
08-17-2009, 08:11 PM
18" sports package with Pirelli P7s. No vibration problems.

AlainCT
09-02-2009, 05:42 AM
I have a new 2009 A4 Cab, and I noticed the vibration at 65-75 from day one. I've brought it in twice to the dealer, they balanced the tires and replaced some. They claimed they road tested it and it was fine, but I still get the vibration. Very uncomfortable feeling.

When I test drive with my local dealer he tells me it's the road and the fact that the car ride stiff. Ridiculous. Strangely enough, at about 80mph the ride is very smooth.

What are my options here? I'm bringing it back in, should I insist on new rims, or control arm?

markcincinnati
09-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Confirmation!

poker838
12-30-2009, 04:52 AM
Got my control arms fixed yesterday. About 80-90% of the vibration is gone. There is still some left but not sure if it's just my imagination.

poker838
02-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Just an update:

after the job above --- Audi took my car back for a few more days towards the end of January to check out the residual vibration. According to them, they replaced the last of factory-delivered Pirellis. That didn't do too much to improve, so I had scheduled a test drive early this week with the Field Tech who thought it might have been the driveshaft.

Anyhow, I've been called to pick up the car today (Friday) saying its ready (after four days) but did not seem willing to share much details on what was done. I guess I'll take a look tomorrow and see what happens :( I have been in touch with the Owner already and Head Office to communicate my concerns and diminishing patience.

ThePiombino
02-13-2010, 05:45 AM
A poster on another forum had his 45K maintenence done and had this to say:

They did fix the low speed shudder! (TSB2020332/4) New hose!

Can anyone confirm this?

pchieffo
06-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Took delivery of my 2010 at the beginning of this year. I soon started to have the high speed vibration (70-80mph). It wasn't too bad so I waited until my 5k check to have it looked at. The dealer checked balance, rotated tires & said everything was ok. After that the vibration was worse, so I went to an independent shop and had a road force test done. The tires had 2/30/32/45lb of road force, so 3 of them were out of spec. Went back to the dealer, they road force balanced, said they got the two fronts (30 & 32lbs) back in spec with force matching (right), and they replaced the one with 45lb. Said they road tested it and everything was perfect. It was better, but still vibrating. I was pretty frustrated by now, and replaced all 4 tires with Conti ExtremeContact DWS. I've always had very good luck with Conti's on my VW's. It was much better, but unfortunately still vibrates between 65-80mph. It's the same problem many people are having here - seat shaking and vibration in the seat and gas pedal.

By now I'm quite frustrated. Anyone have any advice on where to go from here?

ThePiombino
06-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Anyone have any advice on where to go from here?

If you find out, please let me know. Been going through the same sh*t for months now. They've blamed everything underneath the sun EXCEPT for the control arms. I would say getting AoA inolved would help, but they're supposedly even worse than the dealers on this issue.

Art234
06-22-2010, 04:41 AM
You need to talk to AOA and INSIST on the control arm replacement. But first make sure your car is an early build--mine was built in the first week of 2010 production.

Also for the other gentleman, the hose replacement DID fix the low speed steering vibration issue.

My car is fine now--almost a year old, 14500 miles, and going strong.

Good luck!

ThePiombino
06-22-2010, 05:04 AM
You need to talk to AOA and INSIST on the control arm replacement. But first make sure your car is an early build--mine was built in the first week of 2010 production.

The dealer has already acknowledged that my VIN falls within the affected range. The problem now is that they have blamed my wheels for being bent. So it's gonna come down to my word vs theirs. AoA, from what I've heard, has been VERY stubborn on this issue.

Audi S5 TC
06-23-2010, 03:57 AM
Got my control arms fixed yesterday. About 80-90% of the vibration is gone. There is still some left but not sure if it's just my imagination.

Your dealer must have done the installation of the new control arms improperly (most likely out of incompetence, if that is the case). Or, you car is a lemon (or, all of the above).

matthewsjl
06-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Well, my 2009 22k VIN is back at the dealer. Had a short test drive with the service advisor and demonstrated the shimmy. They've already road-force balanced the wheels/tires and they are "well within spec". So, I'm expecting that the next stage is the control arms.

It's a shame that Audi makes the customer and dealer jump through hoops to get the final fix but in my case the dealer has been fair and thorough to date.

Just as another data point. After the road-force balance, the shimmy was much reduced - almost to the point of not being visible. I managed to demo the shimmy by driving the car at 65mph and then making gentle lane chane steering inputs within my lane on the highway (remaining in lane). The shimmy was much more apparent when making this kind of steering input. For even greater feel, just steer using your finger and thumb on the wheel.

Cheers,

John.

ThePiombino
06-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Well, my 2009 22k VIN is back at the dealer. Had a short test drive with the service advisor and demonstrated the shimmy. They've already road-force balanced the wheels/tires and they are "well within spec". So, I'm expecting that the next stage is the control arms.

Was thinking the same exact thing until they threw the "bent wheel" BS at me. Funny how my wheels weren't bent the first 3 times I brought it in...

matthewsjl
06-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Well, at that point, I'll ask them to contact my wheel/tire insurance company to get the wheel replaced. I'll also make sure that they are told to retain the old part so that the insurance company can inspect it for damage.

John.

ThePiombino
06-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Well, at that point, I'll ask them to contact my wheel/tire insurance company to get the wheel replaced. I'll also make sure that they are told to retain the old part so that the insurance company can inspect it for damage.

John.

Good call- best of luck!

matthewsjl
06-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Control arms on order... pickup tomorrow :)

John.

matthewsjl
06-25-2010, 11:11 AM
ThePiombino: My guess is that we are using the same dealer. Upper Saddle River? During the discussion on the control arms it was mentioned that they had a customer with a couple of bent rims..... we can take it offline but it sounds like they want to help but are worried that the control arms won't solve the problem if the rims are bent/deformed.

For me, they couldn't have been more helpful (but we had to remain within the AoA process).

I've now got the new control arms - the bad news is that I still seem to have a shimmy around 65mph. As everybody else seems to indicate that this solves the issue, I'm wondering if I have a rim/tire out of round that we've missed along the way.

Cheers,

John.

Audi S5 TC
06-25-2010, 05:22 PM
ThePiombino: My guess is that we are using the same dealer. Upper Saddle River? During the discussion on the control arms it was mentioned that they had a customer with a couple of bent rims..... we can take it offline but it sounds like they want to help but are worried that the control arms won't solve the problem if the rims are bent/deformed.

For me, they couldn't have been more helpful (but we had to remain within the AoA process).

I've now got the new control arms - the bad news is that I still seem to have a shimmy around 65mph. As everybody else seems to indicate that this solves the issue, I'm wondering if I have a rim/tire out of round that we've missed along the way.

Cheers,

John.

As with poker838, your dealer must have done the installation of the new control arms improperly (most likely out of incompetence, if that is the case). Or, you car is a lemon (or, all of the above), John. Or, as you said, you and your dealer may have simply missed an out of round rim/tire along the way.

matthewsjl
06-25-2010, 06:57 PM
If you look at the parts that are replaced - it's really, really difficult to see how any dealer could screw the installation up. It's one formed metal part and a bolt. While the car was in, they also tracked down an electrical fault with the ADS suspension - taking most of the car interior side trims off, rear seat base, ECU box, ECU, d/s wheel lining, wash bottle out etc. etc. They traced out a bad wire in the harness and replaced. Now, it's a different repair but it was thorough and doesn't smell of an incompetent dealer. There also isn't a single squeak/creak from anywhere :)

I've driven the car a bit more now and it seems that the vibration is much better (barely noticeable) when the tires are really warm (we're talking 20mi here). Audi states to warm the tires for 10mi which I've used as my guidelines. My guess is either that a) the Pirelli's are crap or b) I've got an out of round rim/tire. The crapness could just be that the Pirelli's get out of round by standing for any period of time (we're talking about a few hours here).

I'm going to politely ask again next time I'm in as I still notice some vibration - but to date they've done all that has been required by AoA: roadforce balance and then control arms.

My question to the folks here is: if they roadforce balance, could they get an out of round wheel/tire to balance within limits?

John.

matthewsjl
06-25-2010, 07:02 PM
As with poker838, your dealer must have done the installation of the new control arms improperly (most likely out of incompetence, if that is the case). Or, you car is a lemon (or, all of the above), John. Or, as you said, you and your dealer may have simply missed an out of round rim/tire along the way.

I just went back and reviewed the post by poker838. He posted his work order and I see that he had the wishbones replaced. His got replaced with the "R" version. In EKTA, that part has been superseded by the "N" version - which is what my car received.

Of course, none of us know why Audi superseded the "R" version.

John.

ThePiombino
06-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Cheers,

John.

No, I'm dealing with Audi Meadowlands. They've been great outside of this issue. I just feel like they're constantly passing the buck with this though. I am considering getting AoA involved, but I don't want to do that if the issue truly is a bent wheel.

matthewsjl
06-26-2010, 09:54 AM
I am considering getting AoA involved, but I don't want to do that if the issue truly is a bent wheel.

I'd address the bent rim. See if Meadowlands has a shop that they recommend. If they don't my SA at Upper Saddle River said that they had a good shop they use for bent rims.

When you go back you'll either have one of two things a) proof that the wheels wasn't bent or b) a repair order stating that the wheel(s) were fixed.

Sometimes, you have to play the system.

John.

matthewsjl
06-26-2010, 02:14 PM
So, I had to address my curiosity so found a local place to road force balance the wheels/tires. The fronts were nearly perfect the rears less so but still within limits. Attention got focused on the right rear as it was reported as being out of round by the road force machine. The local shop tried to reposition the tire on the rim which improved things but didn't cure the problem. All four tires were under 20lb of force (well within Audi's 27lb limit).

Now, just to be clear, the problem now is not when the car is travelling straight - there is no vibration. However, when lightly changing direction between 55-70mph there's a noticeable vibration.

After getting back, I took off the suspect right rear and used the spare in it's place. No change. Vibration still present. I didn't have the energy to switch out the left rear.... I'm just going to see what the dealer tells me now.

John.

Audi S5 TC
06-27-2010, 07:52 AM
So, I had to address my curiosity so found a local place to road force balance the wheels/tires. The fronts were nearly perfect the rears less so but still within limits. Attention got focused on the right rear as it was reported as being out of round by the road force machine. The local shop tried to reposition the tire on the rim which improved things but didn't cure the problem. All four tires were under 20lb of force (well within Audi's 27lb limit).

Now, just to be clear, the problem now is not when the car is travelling straight - there is no vibration. However, when lightly changing direction between 55-70mph there's a noticeable vibration.

After getting back, I took off the suspect right rear and used the spare in it's place. No change. Vibration still present. I didn't have the energy to switch out the left rear.... I'm just going to see what the dealer tells me now.

John.

Like I said before, you either have an incompetent dealer, a lemon or both of the above, John.

Jai-B8-A4
07-01-2010, 04:50 AM
Same issue here. Vibrations at about 65-75mph. My car has done 19k miles in 13 months after I bought it.
I took it to a dealer and they are asking me to pay for the road force balancing. They say, since my car is more than a year old, this is not covered by warranty. They are charging me about $150 for this.

Is the road force balance really not covered by warranty? Has anyone else been denied this coverage since their car is over an year old?

And to add to this vibrations while driving at about 65-75mph, I see that vibrations amplify if start to apply the breaks gently at about the same speed (65-75mph). This dealer says it could also be resolved by road force balance. Although the surprising thing is, when I took this car to another dealer they said the vibrations while braking is dude to imperfections on the break rotor surface and they want me to replace both the rotors & the pads (Cost $750).

What should I do?

ThePiombino
07-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Is the road force balance really not covered by warranty? Has anyone else been denied this coverage since their car is over an year old?

My dealership tried to charge me for this as well recently (car is about year and 1/2 old), but I refused to pay. At the time they were blaming the tires. Twist of fate forced me to replace the tires just a couple weeks later. I still had the vibration so I took it back to the dealer and since they could no longer blame my tires, they did the road force balance as part of the vibration diagnostics. Good news was the tires were fine. Bad news is they're now blaming my wheels...which are OEM 17"s.

Old Dog
07-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Bad news is they're not blaming my wheels...which are OEM 17"s.

Hi Piombino, is there a typo in the above as I seem to recall, but the Old Dog's memory may be failing me here :o, that the dealer was always saying it was because you had a bent wheel??? Above, did you mean to say "Bad news is they're now blaming my wheels...which are OEM 17"s.

If not a typo, sorry :(.

ThePiombino
07-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi Piombino, is there a typo in the above as I seem to recall, but the Old Dog's memory may be failing me here :o, that the dealer was always saying it was because you had a bent wheel??? Above, did you mean to say "Bad news is they're now blaming my wheels...which are OEM 17"s.

If not a typo, sorry :(.

LOLOL, good catch! That is correct- they are NOW blaming the wheels. Above post corrected. Thanks for keeping me on my toes!

matthewsjl
07-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Well, my car is back at the dealer today. I think they're a little lost now as the control arms have been replaced.

John.

matthewsjl
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Well, I'm happy to report that I have a successful outcome.

The dealer had the car from last Thursday and over the holiday weekend.

After replicating the problem, they tried to roadforce the tires again. These wheel/tires had been balanced by both them and an independent previously. This time, they were found out of spec.

So, the dealer put another set of Pirelli P6s on (as my car was equipped from the factory). The problem remained.

Anyway, going back to basics, they then ordered a set of Continentals and put them on yesterday. Shimmy gone.

So, at 6,600 miles, I now have shiny new tires and a shimmy free car.

I can't speak highly enough of Jack Daniels of Upper Saddle River NJ - they have been thorough and kept me informed throughout the process. They have even gone above and beyond as I'm 600mi outside the Audi tire warranty and they are going to have the conversation with Audi to get compensated (shouldn't be difficult but nice that they didn't make me do it).

Good result and good Audi service.

Cheers,

John.

poker838
07-07-2010, 01:21 PM
I've seen my earlier posts referred to above

Anyway, 6 months on, I don't mind it so much anymore. There is a bit of flatspotting that occurs after parking the car for a few days but it eventually goes away. Either I've acclimated to the vibration, or the vibration is temperature-related (which would point the issue to the tires).

I've had a fair bit of discussions with the dealer, the tech, and Audi Canada. Basically, dealer will perform the work according to head office, and head office insists my car is within spec (whatever those tolerances might be...). But I've evaluated my options, done a bit of math, and given that the symptoms basically faded away I don't really have much to pursue the issue further on (for now). I'm thinking it might be the tires (Pirelli P6 in 18") but time will tell (next Winter I suppose).

To John's experience -- I'm glad that you found a satisfactory result. I have not been offered a replacement to different model tires as the rule (as I've been advised) was to replace it with the same model the car was delivered from the factory with. I am contemplating of changing mine out, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet as I have other things in life going on than to dwell on what now seems pretty trivial (given the car did save me from a major accident so I guess you have to take a little bit of bad with the good..)

Anyhow, I'm not sure if I can say my case is fully closed. I'm not really convinced as the issue didn't disappear after my last visit.. and frankly the experience has left a bad taste in my mouth as a customer.

I am still curious (mildly amused, mostly disappointed) that this is yet an ongoing issue for others.

Even more curiously, I have met three people who are complaining about vibration on their A3...

Audi S5 TC probably thinks we're all loons here (incompetent dealer, lemon, and all..) but I'd still encourage everyone to share their experiences with this issue though.. perhaps we could all get it resolved one day!

matthewsjl
07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
My saving grace was that a) I was within the Audi tire warranty (6k or close enough to be argued considering that I first mentioned the shimmy at the 5k service) and b) other cars on the lot were being delivered with Conti's.

I re-iterate to Audi that you're not happy. Be polite but firm :) I would also ask what other OEM tires are available (same season/rating). If you're over mileage, I'd ask if they would entertain any goodwill to switch the tires.

I didn't push hard to get new tires. The dealer pulled through. My theory is that the P6s flatspot really easily even when only stood for short periods and the A4 is more sensitive.

John.

Audi_tq
07-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Hey folks,

I have my eyes on a used cpo 2009 A4 2.0T Q MT. Have not driven it yet, but I am very interested in it. I used to have a 1998 1.8TQ for which I went into the ordeal of getting all control arms and tie rods replaced. I have read pretty much all info on the lower front control arm issue. Of course I will test drive it close to 60-70 mph, but I would greatly appreciate if you could let me know if there is a specific range of VINs for the 2009 models affected by this. Also did AOA finally recognize and issue a final TSB for the control arms?

My understanding is that after an owner acknowledges the issue, then the dealer first tries the force balancing processes and then if the issue persists, then you have to start the control arm replacement process.

Is this recognized now, or do I have to fight my way with AOA and/or dealer?
Are there specific TSB numbers? I found by searching here this TSB: 2018121/3.

If anyone knows, what is that TSB for specifically?

Many thanks!

Old Dog
07-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Could someone kindly enlighten the Old Dog and tell me what road force balancing is, how it's done and when would you generally get this done?

I do know of two ways to balance:

1) One is the standard balancing machine where they lock your wheel in to find out where to apply the weights;

2) The second way I know is where the wheels are balanced on the vehicle. I had this done on previous non-Audi vehicles when the regular method didn't work generally due to balancing issues with one or more of the brake drums. Your car was jacked up slightly until they had enough room to put a machine against the wheel that would spin your wheel to xxx rpm's. Of course, then it because necessary when taking any wheel off to mark its exact location to make sure you didn't create a balancing problem for yourself again.

Now I have seen "road force balancing" mentioned a number of times, but kept letting it slide. I figure, now it's about time to ask :o.

Thanks

Dirt
07-12-2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=40

Old Dog
07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=40

I just finished enlightening myself thanks to your link to Tire Rack :D. Much appreciated Dirt.

The Old Dog

dauphin_gray
04-01-2011, 03:12 PM
My 2009 Avant has the shimmy problem. I've been through two road force balance exercises. Audi acts fast though if you've got a big enough stick: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2009/07/2009-audi-a4-and-s5-steering-vibration-wrap-up.html. USA owners who aren't getting the problem addressed can file a complaint with the NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/