When you put down the deposit on a new order where there was a significant (e.g. 3-4 months) wait, was it refundable or no?
08-09-2007, 11:38 AM
for example, if you order a custom exterior color or interior setup a dealer might not refund the deposit.
It doesn't hurt to ask the dealer in question what their policy is though.
08-09-2007, 11:51 AM
The dealer initially stated that the deposit would be refundable provided my order isn't peculiar (i.e. Imola Yellow, sunroof deletion, Exclusive Package). I went ahead and told him to order a Mugello Blue with the Titanium Package and rear side airbags. He came back and told me that the manager said that this combo would be hard to sell (because of the dark rims, go figure!) if I were to cancel the order and that they would bump the deposit up and make it nonrefundable.
After I told him that this wouldn't fly, he called me back and told me that the 2nd manager of the dealership said that they could make the deposit refundable. So, I went ahead and gave them my credit card # only to find out the next day that the original manager had overruled the other one and is firm on it being nonrefundable.
So I am just curious as to what the members' experience has been in this matter.
08-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Im looking to order within the next 4 - 5 months and I was told recently a 2000 dollar deposit when i wanted to order. Keep us posted.
08-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Sick your lawyer on 'em and get him/her to send a letter stating your issue. I'm sure it will be resolved in short order :)
The ONLY situation where they should keep the deposit is if they are UNABLE to sell the car. I seriously doubt they can prove that it is unfit/unable to be sold.
08-09-2007, 12:24 PM
The dealer is willing to give me back the deposit (the order hasn't been officially placed with Audi yet) if I don't agree with the nonrefundable aspect, so I don't have a legal beef with them. I am more curious as to whether the deposit on this car is usually refundable or not.
This was a $2k "refundable" deposit that they want to make nonrefundable, by the way. The original agreement had been a $1k refundable deposit, but I was willing to bump it up to make the deal work.
08-09-2007, 12:44 PM
08-09-2007, 01:07 PM
that the conditions of the deposit are as agreed upon between the two parties. In other words, if the buyer agrees to a nonrefundable deposit, then that's exactly what it is -- you sign the purchase order and the terms of the deposit are explicitly stated on it.
08-09-2007, 01:12 PM
never tried to really back out. My color combo was fairly standard.(Daytona/Black).
If anything I would go ahead and order the car, but make sure they write on there (the deposit/order sheet) that the deposit is fully refundable. Then keep a copy for yourself.
That's what I ended up doing (even though I never got anything but a straight answer).
If the dealer you have isn't willing to do that, then go to another dealership. I'm not sure where you are located, but if one dealership doesn't want to play by your rules... there are plenty of others that will.
Your color combo doesn't look bad, in fact I'm sure it will look stunning. Any dealer with a good reputation and good location will have no problems selling that order.
08-09-2007, 01:24 PM
08-09-2007, 02:48 PM
State laws vary, but most states do not allow the dealer to keep the deposit as long as the car is sold to someone else. The car will eventually sell, so for practical purposes they can't keep the deposits. In some states (California, for one) the seller can not legally keep any of your funds unless you take delivery of the car. Additionally, most deposits are made with a credit card, strengthening your rights; simply dispute the charge and you will get your money back. The rare exception to the above would be if you signed a contract agreeing to a non-refundable deposit. If the dealer asks for a contract, just call one of the other Audi dealers and place your order through them.
08-09-2007, 06:15 PM
08-09-2007, 06:16 PM
If the car is on the lot - would he take it?
08-09-2007, 06:46 PM
i know more about my finances/personal situation right now than I do about it 3-4 months from now. There's always some risk/uncertainty with time, and the longer the duration, the more of it there is.
I'm not anticipating/expecting anything to happen to preclude me from taking delivery 3-4 months down the road, but I want that peace of mind that IN CASE something does happen I'm not out $2k.
08-09-2007, 06:48 PM
is that you apparantly cannot rely on these managers, if they can be overruled at any time. Sounds like a shaky basis for a business relationship. Is there no other dealer in the area?
08-09-2007, 06:53 PM
But you're right, the back-and-forth is a bit disconcerting. On the other hand, they're not a local dealer and I wouldn't use them for servicing the car, just the purchase.
08-09-2007, 07:38 PM
08-09-2007, 11:02 PM
08-10-2007, 06:39 AM
and the check hasn't even been cashed yet (June 21) and I should have my car in the next 5 to 7 weeks. My dealer still will let me test drive the car when it arrives and if for some reason I'm not happy with it (never seen an RS 4 in person) I can walk away from the deal and I get my deposit back as they know they won't have any problem selling the car. They also gave me a $1500 discount. It seems this Midwest dealers are better to work with.
08-10-2007, 10:16 AM
08-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Well, after informing the dealership that I would be cancelling my order with them and shopping elsewhere, we're back in business! They've agreed to make the deposit refundable, and my order has been placed. I should be a newly minted RS4 owner in about 90-120 days -- can't wait!
Thanks to all who shared their experience and opinion.