View Full Version : Difference between Yamaha RXV and HTR receivers?

CC Rider
11-02-2004, 03:49 AM
I never have understood the distinction between these two lines of products. They seem to have the same feature sets and specifications.

What's the scoop?

hwj
11-02-2004, 06:57 AM
HTR = "consumer" channel, stuff sold in Best Buy and Fry's and the like. Used to be the "RV" line.

RXV = "dealer" channel, stuff sold in A/V specialty stores that can offer a higher level of customer service and support than the big box places.

I'm sure some of the folks here who actually sell this stuff for a living can comment more specifically on why the manufacturers need to deal with each channel on different terms.

Rubberduckie
11-02-2004, 07:39 AM
HTR - for those who don't read the manual
RXV: for those who want to get the best out of their system and are willing to get to know the gear.

Pelican Pete
11-05-2004, 04:24 AM
Even before the days of internet retailing, was catalog mail-order, such as Crutchfield, Service Merchandise, etc. Yamaha would offer the HTR series to catalogs (and eventually e-commerce websites) while the brick-and-mortar stores would carry the RXV line. In many instances they were exactly the same products with the different nomenclature. I don't know if this is still the case, but I suspect it is.

Since catalogs and websites could offer lower prices, Yamaha did not want to hurt their retail partners. So by making the names different, customers could not do direct comparisons and could not request price protection.

Ever notice how bedding stores all offer the "guaranteed lowest price" on matresses? That's because no two chains carry the same products. Yamaha does the same thing with their receivers.

-- P.

CC Rider
11-05-2004, 04:49 AM
I had been told that Yamaha would not honor the product warranty unless it was purchased from an authorized seller. So for an RXV receiver that would be one of the brick-and-mortar stores. Allegedly, all of the RXV receivers for sale on Ebay listed as "new in the box with warranty card" are truly new, but Yamaha will not honor the warranty to the end-user. Any truth to this?

Do the HTR receivers sold by the Crutchfield's of the world receive a valid warranty from Yamaha (without going back through Crutchfield for service)?

Pelican Pete
11-05-2004, 05:10 AM
I can only assume that a product purchased through eBay would not carry a mfr's warranty, and that you would have to go through the seller if a warranty issue arose.

It is the inherent risk -- save a few bucks, at the expense of your warranty. I don't buy extended warranties on anything either, which is in some way the same type of situation.

Regarding Crutchfield and the HTR series, I am pretty certain that Yamaha will warranty those items. The HTR series was created specifally for mail-order channels.

--P.

Rubberduckie
11-05-2004, 07:05 AM
Many non-authorised web traders will suggest the product is covered, but the manufacturer will tell you otherwise.