My wife has suggested that I look for a new car. The reason being that we have a few too many cars, and by bying 1 I was palnning to give 2 in trade in.
I asked this site this same question some years ago, when I ended up buying the A6 2.7T. I'm hoping for the 4.2, since it now got the FSI.
A second question is what will the 2008 bring to the A6?
02-23-2007, 07:58 PM
1. Navi doesn't allow you to enter a POI by name but must search it by category first
2. Steering feels disconnected from the road (too "easy") not sporty enough [for me]
3. Closest 12V outlet for radar detectors is at the cupholder; would prefer one closer to the dash area
02-24-2007, 02:46 AM
02-24-2007, 03:56 AM
First, I like my car!
But some tweaks would be great:
1) Better steering feel
2) Not having a hard seam where the outside of my right knee rests against the console.
3) Padding on the left door armrest where my bony elbow rests.
02-24-2007, 04:46 AM
1. Steering wheel in s-line or S6 vastly superior over basic hard leather stock.
2. no Mp3 support of any kind (ipod, mp3 via cd, etc.) until Nov. 2006 builds.
3. Quality dealer support is apparently hard to find.
02-24-2007, 05:41 AM
02-24-2007, 07:19 AM
CD changer in glove box.
Needs more voice commands.
I always forget to open the gas filler door and have to go back to the driver's door -- BMW unlocks fuel filler door when door locks are unlocked. More of a user error, perhaps?
Why not a single push on push off button rather than start and stop.
Hon mention: would like a DSG transmission.
02-24-2007, 07:51 AM
02-24-2007, 08:10 AM
02-24-2007, 08:14 AM
1. Needs turbo
2. needs clutch
3. too few aftermarket parts (i.e. brake kits)
02-24-2007, 08:38 AM
02-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Egil A64.2s - S6
02-24-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm sure some smart guy can figure a mod.
Egil A64.2s - S6
02-24-2007, 11:38 AM
02-24-2007, 01:08 PM
around center islands & avoiding curbs especially if you have tinted windows & at night!
2. Check engine light still appearing whenever I get a full tank of gas, I'm pretty sure this is a gas cap issue not sealing & giving the proper pressurization.
3. Lawyer screen
02-24-2007, 02:06 PM
02-24-2007, 02:45 PM
02-24-2007, 07:19 PM
1. lack of MP3 capability.
2. lack of touch screen nav (it would be so much easier to enter locations...)
3. some rattles...
I also like the left door armrest comment...it really doesn't fit well compared to my old cars...just can't get comfortable in any position there...
02-24-2007, 09:07 PM
perfectly & was in easy arms reach for changing multiple Cd's on the road even! But then again with the advent of the mp3 & ipod maybe they thought ahead & said most people will be switching to this form of recording in the future.
They should have thought about a year ahead of that & installed the ipod adapter in the 05-06 A6's!!!!
02-25-2007, 05:43 AM
1) Better acceleration, with this much HP (4.2 and S6), the 0-60 numbers lag all competitors
2) Styling is too subdued (BMW-M, MB-AMG)
3) Needs more options
- Sport seats (BMW, MB)
- HUD (heads up display)(BMW)
- More wheel options(BMW, MB)
- Sound system, MP3, iPod, DVD, etc.(BMW, MB)
- Rear shades(BMW, MB)
- Pano. roof (MB)
02-25-2007, 06:43 AM
Regarding more options, sport seats and a rear shade are options on the A6. I have the automatic rear shade option (including manual rear side shades too) and I've seen A6's with sport seats.
02-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Having traded in an M3 for it. I like the car alot, but if I had to list 3 gripes they'd be:
1. MMI -- I've spent alot of time with it, reading and re-reading the manual, programming in addresses, and otherwise figuring it out. I'm not sure I really care about having that level of control though.
2. Touchy accelerator when pulling away from a stop (unexpected, neck-jerking upshift)
3. A few rattles and squeeks -- rattle in passenger-side dash, plus door-frames squeek on rough roads. Never had a single squeek/rattle in the BMW in 70K miles of ownership.
02-25-2007, 06:57 AM
02-25-2007, 07:43 AM
02-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Every car I've owned and every car I've been in has had some rattles or creaks. Of course, some vehicles are worse than others. The new MB S Class I sat in was a complete rattle trap. The entire front passenger seat would visibly vibrate on rough roads if no one was sitting in it.
02-25-2007, 10:38 AM
02-25-2007, 11:15 AM
and all this BS about, "Well, if you didn't buy it from here, we're going to put it at the end of the line or not give the optimum service for a high line vehicle" is simply unacceptable.
02-25-2007, 01:34 PM
02-25-2007, 03:52 PM
1. Twitchy throttle response
2. Touchy brakes at low speed
That's it for real gripes.
2005 A6 4.2
02-25-2007, 06:56 PM
1. Windows stuck when the tempreture drops from + to -
2. Gas lid freezes
3. Car is getting very dirty very fast (lack of protective covers specially when I put my winter tires)
Welcome to Canada :))
02-26-2007, 03:31 AM
02-26-2007, 10:05 AM
bugs me. The C5 door unlocked when you pulled the key out. Why change that? I am always forgetting that d*** release button when I get out of the car. And the V10 is a very thirsty motor!! ;)
02-26-2007, 04:22 PM
The A6 is the best car I've ever owned. But here are three gripes:
1. The Bose stereo has no bass. The car desperately needs a subwoofer... and an iPod interface.
2. Navigation interface is clunky. I wish the MMI knob acted like a joystick instead of just a rotating knob.
3. Tip Lag. Smooth starts are possible, but a special touch on the accelerator is needed.
02-27-2007, 03:07 AM
02-27-2007, 10:23 AM
more squeaks and rattles than the previous 8 years old '97 A4. I was expecting the latest generation A6 to be as solid as the old A4.
02-27-2007, 12:56 PM
fix the passenger side glove box rattle the car had some weeks ago.
Since then, nothing to complain about.
03-03-2007, 08:31 AM
1) No iPOD interface.
2) No Touchscreen or joystick (knob is clunky compared to Acura system (TL or 1G MDX).
3) Touchy throttle.
That being said, A6 4.2 is finest car I've ever owned. Love the engine sound, feel, comfort, style, etc.