02-19-2002, 06:57 AM
This car has been parked in a garage for the past 4 yrs. I am considering buying it. The owner states that it will only start if starter fluid is sprayed into the intake; but the car dies soon after the injested evaporates, as if not getting fuel. I am not near the car; nor will i be for a few weeks yet. I would like some guidance on troublshooting this issue before i purchase and drive 1000mi home.
02-19-2002, 02:38 PM
Also have him check the fuel pump, accumulator, and fuel distributor. A new filter wouldn't hurt, either. After 4 years of non-use, there's no telling what's siezed up or rusted shut on it.
There's a green/yellow wire back there next to the battery with a convention connector. You could power the fuel pump directly from the battery to see if it works. It'a a good bet that the fuel pump wiring or relay or even fusebox is burnt up somewhere. A lot of us put a second relay by the battery for the fuel pump to unload the rest of the wires.