Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

battery drain woes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery drain woes...

still have my battery drain problem and i need to fix it tomorrow because im about to start working fulltime and dont want to have to disconnect the battery everytime i go to work.

im using Tozom8's light meathod (from postive of battery to positive lead of car when disconnected with negative lead connected)

ive pulled every fuse on the inside by drivers door and in the engine bay. ive unplugged the phone, the rear CD changer, and the vaccum pump.

i am at a loss as to what to check, the light is on really bright, lights up the entire interior of the car at night. any ideas would be appriciated. thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default There are a few relays under the instrument cluster.

I would pull those.
One more thing, the ignition switch. Remove the IC and unplug the switch. It's easy, takes only 5-10 minutes.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had 5 failed ignition switch in 3 years on my two Audi.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i had to replace my 5000's, thanks for all your help man, ill check it out

ill get on that tomorrow, i really hope i find it and it isnt somthing really expensive or somthing i cant fix :S
Old 03-04-2006, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default guys my temp gauge shorts out for 30 seconds somtimes

and my 5000's did this too, only it never worked but for 5% of the time. it was back when i bought my car and i wasnt a DIY guy and i had someone fix it, and there were burned out switches in the IC i guess, where could i buy a new tempature gauge switch (??) or whatever it would be that could be shorting out? is that a dealer item?

id like to replace it while the IC is removed.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default when pulling fuses, i dont have to have them all out do i? ive been pulling one and putting it back

in, that is the correct way yes? my dad was wondering if we should be taking all of them out at the same time and putting them back one by one?
Old 03-05-2006, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: battery drain woes...

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/109548.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/109548.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 03-05-2006, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yea ive done all that, its not one of the fuses :S
Old 03-05-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Re: when pulling fuses, i dont have to have them all out do i? ive been pulling one and putting it b

You should be OK pulling them one at a time like you're doing.

I agree with Adriano's comments that you really need to use a meter to make good headway. Preferably one which can handle 10 or 20 amps, and can then either autoscale or be manually scaled down to resolve milliamp levels.

On my S4, I presently have the breaker pulled for the sunroof because it was draining about 450 milliamps. This is breaker B5 on the outermost of the 3 rows inside the relay box under the hood (the breaker was painted yellow on my car).
When you measure the current at the battery, you need to make sure that you're inside the car and close the door until the lights turn off (this takes several seconds).
The current drain should then fall below 100 mA if everything is OK.

Paul
93 S4
95 S6
Old 03-05-2006, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well i could try getting a amp reader, i dont think mine will do it

but i tested this light bulb trick on my other cars and if u turn a light on, it comes on, if everything is off, its off solid so i really think ill be able to see it dim. But im going to try the amp meter since u all think its a good idea. i tried with mine but it only does volts.

When i turn a light on i see a change in brightness for sure. and its on so bright at the moment id be surprised if i needed an amp meter to see the drain ya know?

im going to try the instrument cluster next, and if that doesnt work ill be getting an amp meter thanks for the reply. this thing is getting annoying.

Quick Reply: battery drain woes...