Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Trying to cover all replacement bulbs

Old 02-27-2006, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to cover all replacement bulbs

I'm a new owner and I wanted to start on replacing all of the bulbs that are out in the interior. I've been reading through the VFAQs on this on this site and various others, and they're very helpful. This might seem like a silly question, but I can't find pictures of the interior anywhere with this covered, so...when the gauge cluster is illuminated, should the S4 badge also be illuminated? It seemed like it should to me, but I wasn't sure, and wanted to see if that's something that I needed to work on replacing with all the switch lights that are out.

I've also seen CDs online from "Bentley Publishing" that are CD versions of the repair manuals. Is this the best way to go, or is there something else I should be looking for? These seem to go for about $80-$100.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-27-2006, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No the S4 badge in your dash is not supposed to be illuminated.

When you replace the dash bulbs upgrade them with brighter bulbs. I think the originals are 1.2 watt, put in 2 watt bulbs. there is a writeup on Scarfans.org.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The Bentley is the only game in town, but you can find it cheaper than that...
Old 02-27-2006, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Use LED's in place of the switch bulbs... I fixed my seat heaters switches this past weekend..

while at home nursing a cold. I used SUNLED XLMR11D14V, and they gave perfect illumination.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree for the seat heaters, but just to be clear, not for the cluster itself...

Not to say it couldn't be done, but it would take some trial and error to get it to look right.

LEDs in the seat heater switches (and most of the other console switches also) work very well though.

~640nm (red) 3mm LEDs plus appropriate 1/8 watt resistors and a modicum of soldering skill is what's required.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:51 AM

Default Re: I agree for the seat heaters, but just to be clear, not for the cluster itself...

Thanks.

The only ones that are out are the the switches (I know one of them is driver's side seat heater); nothing is out on the gauge cluster. So you guys removed the factory bulbs and wired in LEDs, instead? I'll have to look into that. I assume the look is the same, you just did this for the reliabilty of LEDs over the factory bulbs?

Where can that manual be found for less?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is a LED writeup on s-cars.org somewhere.

I paid $65 as I recall for the Bentley, but the vendor I used ("The Parts Connection") is reportedly out of business now.

The LED look is the same, actually a little bit brighter for the seat heaters. The problem is finding the correct incandescent bulb -- they are red bulbs of an odd size and not readily available as far as I know.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Re: There is a LED writeup on s-cars.org somewhere.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Reliability and availability...

I used LED's with integrated resisitor, so all I had to do is solder them in... use the T1 type. There is a write up by Fred Munro on s-cars.org, check out the link. The ones I used gave exactly the same look, I can't tell the difference now, I'm very happy with the outcome.<ul><li><a href="http://www.s-cars.org/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&amp;name=Downloads&amp;file =index&amp;req=viewdownload&amp;cid=3">http://www.s-cars.org/postnuke/modules.php?op=modload&amp;name=Downloads&amp;file =index&amp;req=viewdownload&amp;
Old 02-27-2006, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send me a sample

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trying to cover all replacement bulbs