Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

possible to check injectors?

Old 02-23-2006, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible to check injectors?

threw code for injector #1 short.
have no idle problems, it's all smooth. last summer/fall after driving for awhile, under full throttle boost would softly build and at 4500 RPM or so would kick in and go hard. sometimes under full throttle boost would build up choppy and over 4500RPM would be smooth and strong.

plugs, boots, fuel filter changed but has not solved problem.
have not had issue lately in the cold winter temps but also have not been driving that hard either.

my question I guess is can a faulty/shorting injector cause boost/accel. issues? like what I'm having?

perhaps it's the Pastore MTM 1+ software? but I don't recall this happening at all untill last summer.
also seemed to notice that if waiting to go full throttle untill above 3000 RPM boost would feel smooth, perhaps it's timing issue related to software?
POS's are fairly new, and this was not as aggressive as a faulty POS, I've felt that before and replaced them both.

I dont have a clue whats been going on here
Old 02-23-2006, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

come to think of it, this (problem?) was around before the inj. code ever appeared
Old 02-24-2006, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is it possible you have a bad coil and you are dropping a cylinder under heavy load?

In my experience injectors either work or don't work at all. I have never seen an injector cause a intermittent loss of power.(25 years on the wheel of pain) but that does not mean its not possible. Just when I think I have seen everything I see something new so I keep an open mind. I have seen poor connections at injectors cause intermittent problems but not the injector itself. The other thing that happens to injectors is they get a poor spray pattern. They kinda pee off to one side instead of having a nice cone shaped spray. But that manifests itself as a lean misfire at an idle and not at higher fuel volumns. And as you said it idles ok so that does not sound like its it. If you want to be sure its not an injector you could take them out and send them out and have them flow tested and cleaned. We use a guy here in Seattle called Dr. Injector. But its almost always because we have a car with a high HC or rough idle problem. He charges us about a hundred bucks. But I bet anything you have a bad coil.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default bad coil can lead to boost building in 2-3 stages? it's definantly something I have been meaning

to look into. or possibly bad wiring? the ground wire coming out of the plug cover is kinda brittle and the insulation has worn away at the ends. where it bolts on to valve cover and comes out of plug cover are both bare wire.
could this be a problem? temp related?

thanks Mr. Anarchy
Old 02-24-2006, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, coils definately breakdown more when hot. Heat = More resistance.

STFA for coil test. In my experience with driveablity problems ignition problems account for 90% of the driveability problems in all cars.