Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Easy way to do CPS on 93 s4...

Old 02-20-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy way to do CPS on 93 s4...

well I had big help from some of the guys here on the forums..I was asked to do a write up on how to change the cam sensor without having to do the timing belt removal..

very easy do to:

first off
remove plastic cover of timing belt..
remove the air ducting that goes from the front of car to the airbox area....why you ask I will tell you... If you try to remove the cam spocket bolt with a wrench you dont get a good grip on it becuase of the tight area..by removing the air duct you can get a socket and extension and get good force on it..
now after the bolt is off there is a little 10mm bolt that holds the plastic by the spocket that the wiring of the cps goes under... you want to remove the bolt to be able to remove the wiring and also for installing the new one.
Next with a friend remove the sprocket and have a friend keep tension on it so the belt does not move...you may need a rubber hammer to get it off the cam...now while your friend is swearing at you to hurry up lol... remove the 2 5mm allen bolts holding the cps...I found it really tight, use a flat head screw driver to pry it off if you have to...mine broke when I did it but who cares in the garbage it goes...
..so to re install I used some antisieze on the cps bolts put it in the same way..tighten down the bolts..and run the wiring back the same way and the end of the wiring clips to the fuel rail area...now that its installed tighen up the 10mm bold that keep the plastic tight by the wiring...slip on the cam spocket tighten it up..add the plactic timing cover and air duct and done... mine started up right away and check engine light is not on... if I was to do it again I bet I can do it in 10min...
Ps i didnt have the torque specs on the bolts if someone has please post them

I think I got it all..if something is not clear post up I will reply...sorry I dont have pics guys right now its all together so that would not help

big thanks to Dave F
Old 02-20-2006, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good stuff, Jonathan. Glad I could help. Thanks also to Fred M. and Mark S.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Good stuff, Jonathan. Glad I could help. Thanks also to Fred M. and Mark S.

Fred M. and Mark S.
forsure thanks guys I didnt keep the emails from b4 with your name ...cheers
Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Torque values for CPS and Camshaft Sprocket Bolt

Ps i didnt have the torque specs on the bolts if someone has please post them

My CPS has just died. I think I will give this method a try to replace my CPS on my UrS6. Thanks for the write up. According to Bentley Manual the two M6 5mm bolts that hold on the CPS (Hall Sender) are torqued to 7 Ft/LB and the 24mm Camshaft Sprocket Bolt is torqued to 48 Ft/Lb.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CPS info that you might find useful

You might want to review this CPS info post HERE

Note the BB Automacao connection link.

Here is a link to an even better pictoral version of a quick CPS sensor R&R DIY:

http://picasaweb.google.com/persing/...orReplacement#
Old 11-06-2010, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Camshaft bolt is 65 Nm (48 lb-ft) as shown on page 39/93 of this AAN engine manual pdf:

http://s2-audi.co.uk/workshop/aan/aan.pdf
Old 11-07-2010, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Saw those links during my search. Thanks for responding UrS4boy!

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
You might want to review this CPS info post HERE

Note the BB Automacao connection link.

Here is a link to an even better pictoral version of a quick CPS sensor R&R DIY:

http://picasaweb.google.com/persing/...orReplacement#
Yes, thank you for the links UrS4boy as it appears you contributed to Autobahnjs' method. I have seen that method, Nate's fantastic and well documented method and other well documented methods as well for replacing the Timing Belt on a UrS6 during my search for the proper CPS replacement. However, during my search there was not a mention of any fasteners or bolts that needed to be removed (besides the two obvious metal clips) to remove the fragile upper timing cover. I wrestled with my timing belt cover earlier today and it just felt like some bolt or screw below that I could not see was preventing my TB cover removal.

UrS4boy, can the upper timing belt cover be removed by just unfastening the two metal spring clips or is their something else that must be done to get access to the 24mm cam sprocket bolt? Anybody feel free to chime in. TIA.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 140mph
I wrestled with my timing belt cover earlier today and it just felt like some bolt or screw below that I could not see was preventing my TB cover removal.

UrS4boy, can the upper timing belt cover be removed by just unfastening the two metal spring clips or is their something else that must be done to get access to the 24mm cam sprocket bolt? Anybody feel free to chime in. TIA.
Remove the fan belt tensioner and it comes right out.