View Full Version : Why shouldn't I go to jiffy lube for an oil change?

A4toAR
04-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Here's why I'm thinking of doing it.

1) I'll pay at the dealer as it's not a scheduled change.
2) Getting to/from the dealer and leaving the car is a hassle and a half.
2) I can stand 6 feet from the tech and watch him do the work.
3) I can bring the oil and filter.
4) they can also rotate my tires.
5) It's not brain surgery, it's an oil change.

xtreetoes
04-10-2006, 07:25 AM
than Jiffy Lube. You definitely want to bring your own oil and filter like you stated. You might want to bring a new drian plug washer also, or check before hand they carry/change them..

grey-2002-ar-6sp
04-10-2006, 07:28 AM

Rally_nutcase_1982
04-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Sorry, but any shop that doesn't have expertise with the allroad is not going to touch it, but that's just my rule ;-)

IMHO - even though it may seem like a "simple Oil change"; it does certainly not apply for the allroad, too many (expensive) things can go wrong with an unexperienced shop.

greenmeanie
04-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Why you shouldn'y go to Jiffy lube.

I could bring up the story of them wrecking the driver's door on my wife's old Jetta. I stood and watched the spanner monkey and everything seemed OK. He then got in the car, and reversed it out of the bay without shutting the door. One bollard later I needed about $2K of bodywork. Jiffy Lube didn't do a thing to help and got quite upity with the bill. Mention of a lawyer cleared things up.

It now takes something very, very complex to make me hand one of my vehicles over to someone else.

Cheers
Gregor

Nappy
04-10-2006, 08:04 AM
but if you bring your own oil, that might not be an issue. My experience is that they tend to be a bunch of hackers. I would just make sure you monitor them closely, check and double check their work.

grey-2002-ar-6sp
04-10-2006, 08:06 AM
The bottom-side work is done from a service area under the bay - think basement with cutouts in the ceiling for getting to the underside of cars.

If they can be babysat through the process, it may not be so bad.

Woodman-ar 01
04-10-2006, 08:20 AM
They instead take the rear fasteners off and tilt the rear of the pan down and drain the oil off the pan. Used to take my old Audi to one around the corner from work. The techs hate to see Audis as they're a PITA to do.

magilla70
04-10-2006, 09:00 AM
just saying "audi" is rocket science for some of those kids.

paulroad
04-10-2006, 09:10 AM
The guy who onws the shop will want to do the right work. I even use my local shop for the brakes..as the work the same on Chevy's as they do on the Audis. I just bring the parts to him. I get it done fast and for much less than anyone.

A4toAR
04-10-2006, 09:23 AM

RMcQ
04-10-2006, 10:31 AM
he specifically mentioned this.

grey-2002-ar-6sp
04-10-2006, 10:48 AM
missed that as part of the service he was describing - but he says they use cutouts.* Maybe they do the rotation in a different bay, or the same bay has lift arms. <me shrugs>

BlueDog
04-10-2006, 11:30 AM
because you don't want to have to hear about all the crap that you "need" to have done.

because even if you're sitting on their shoulders, you won't know until its too late that they've stripped the drain plug (and they'll tell you it was aready like that, BTDT)

because you've heard far too many horror stories to take a chance on sasving a nickle

JDNAR
04-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Horror stories are well documented on the Net.

A4toAR
04-10-2006, 12:10 PM
The same service bays has a lift and your right about the jack mode issue. They wouldn't be up to speed on that.

They only recently started doing tire rotation. I had our Cherokee in recently for an oil change and they mentioned the tire rotation could be done.

A4toAR
04-10-2006, 12:12 PM
I'd gladly pay audi more if they were a 1/2 mile away.

girlroad
04-10-2006, 01:21 PM
guys knew they had to do something before they could put it on the lift, but couldn't figure it out...fortunately I remembered and ran to the back to set it for them before they lifted it up....you'll see me (I'll post photos for sure:) personally change the oil on this thing before I would let anyone I didn't know work on it, jiffy lube or otherwise. At least if the dealer screws up you have some recourse with AoA...I agree with Paulroad, find a local indy/service "guy", watch him closely the first time (not in a pit:) and then keep going back so they know you...take a book or your laptop and enjoy an hour where no one is asking you anything or telling you what to do:) IMHO

TeddyBGame
04-10-2006, 01:55 PM

allroad(s) lead 2Gavin
04-10-2006, 06:08 PM

s.carder
04-11-2006, 07:46 AM

SeeksAR
04-11-2006, 07:36 PM
That's the lasting image I have of my last Jiffy Lube visit with my Jeep.

The kid on top was waiting for the kid below to finish putting in the drain plug. The kid on top was holding my dipstick, fwapping it on the nice sandy floor while peeking down into the pit. AAAAAAARrrrrrrggggg! I nearly ripped the knob off the visitor room door trying to get out there before he re-inserted the dip stick. Fortunately, the manager saw my mad dash and was able to do some mentoring after my polite correction to his guy.

Prepare to lose a belly pan bolt off the allroad.

Even my own dealer forgot to replace a bolt after my first oil change. (One of my first rants on this forum).