Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

The air suspension compressor almost constantly running.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The air suspension compressor almost constantly running.

Here is my story:
Last year I had both front suspension airbags replaced for BRAND NEW OEM ones.
The problem was that the front of the vehicle was leaning down when parked and also the suspension orange warning light was coming off as kompressor was cut off due to overheating.

Now, there is no orange warning light NOR any of the four suspension airbags leak. Even after a week of break when I was on holidays last month the allroudi was well on its "bags" I found it as I left it.

What could be the problem that I hear the compressor to run about every five minutes for about a 30 sec run??
Where can be the leak? At the reservoir tank or piping?
I doubt it, but I will gladly read your responses. Thanks.

Do you have any experience with it that I may find useful?
I consider myself as technicaly capable.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Tough call; when parked then it wont trigger the compressor which is actually normal because

there is no suspension movement.
I'd suggest to raise it to level 4 and keep a spray bottle in the car while driving around; every time the compressor goes nuts then spray the airbags or lines to see any possible leaks.

Also spray onto the main cylinder located under the rear axle to see if these lines are O.K. (it's the big aluminum block with 5 different colored air lines feeding in).
Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 30 sec every 5 minutes is normal in my experience.

The controller will vent small amounts of air under normal driving as it tries to make adjustments to the ride height. Eventually, the compressor comes on to replenish the reservoir.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd that. Just don't pay attention to the compressor, it will drive u crazy
Old 03-13-2008, 03:53 PM

Default If my comp goes on ones within an hour that is already pushing it....usually it doesn't

come on at all even on longer Highway drives....and the airbags stay up normally....go figure...
Old 03-14-2008, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Tough call; when parked then it wont trigger the compressor which is actually normal because

Right. But how can I spray on the bags under the fenders when driving at the same time. The Compressor starts pumping certainly AFTER the leak is done.

Look I did several tests as well like this:
I parked on an even surface with Level II in that case as it is understood as standard height for allroad. I hit the Hitch mode for the suspension by the two buttons at time for ca 5 sec until the signals went on.
Then I got out the car, measured the heights of the fenders' obverts.
Then I drove over the retarders and uneven ground slowly so that the hitch mode wouldn't turn off automaticly due to speed. After abou 15min of such driving I parked it directly on the same spot as I had parked before the driving. I made marks of the wheels position on the ground with chalk) Then I measured the heights of the fenders' obverts and the measures were only like 1/16 of an inch different, actually, one side up, the other side down. Also, it is impossible to measure so exactly. But if there was some leak in bags, it would make difference of at least an inch.

What about now?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Tough call; when parked then it wont trigger the compressor which is actually normal because

No, it's not like that at all; pump up the car to Level 4 so most of the forces will apply (gravity etc). Drive a few hundred yards, keep it below 25MPH so the ride height doesn't change; once the compressor starts working then stop the car and spray the airbags/lines. That is one way to find out for sure.

Otherwise you're on the right track, but measuring the car with a ruler from the ground up should also be done in L4 if possible.
This will give you the maximum extension of the airbags; park it for an hour and measure again and should one particular corner have dropped way more then others then there is your suspect.

Please remember the "weird" physics in the airbag case; as lower as you set the suspension it will make the bag itself slide over the Suspension tube and possibly seal any small leaks so you really want to extend the airbag to the max - makes sense?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

...and this is why I'd be hard pressed to want a boost gauge. =/
Old 03-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"Please remember the "weird" physics in the airbag case; as lower as you set the suspension it will make the bag itself slide over the Suspension tube and possibly seal any small leaks so you really want to extend the airbag to the max - makes sense?"

In my case I noticed something different. If car parked on the 3rd level it won't drop over night, and if it's on 2nd level or 1st, front is droping to the ground.I even try to put the car in to the "Jack mode" overnight, but it's still sinking on 1st and 2nd....
Old 03-17-2008, 01:55 PM

LAWA:
I think you are close to change the front suspension air bags Thats the sign of the leaks. If it was dropping from all Levels, you could be lucky to have only the seals wrong but this is a sign of the leak of air bags.
The reason is that the leak is in a place where it is at bend at level1 and still at bend at level 2 but it gets to straighten area at level 3. It is only a matter of time when it will leak at level 3 as well and your compressor will give up to pump it up.

Quick Reply: The air suspension compressor almost constantly running.